Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

deep_schismic
06-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Set List:

Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist (extended version)
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
Schism (extended version)
Right In Two
(jam)
Sober
Lateralus
(jam)
Vicarious
Aenema

--review to come..

heapifyman
06-07-2006, 04:21 AM
I also think, the set was a bit short, especially if you take into consideration the prize for the ticket.
Plus the sound was not very good. As several other people posted in reviews of the previous concerts of this tour, the bass and bass drum were too dominant. Especially during the first song, rosetta stoned, you could barely make out the different instruments and the singing. It was more like one loud noise. It got better during the rest of the show, though.
But since this was my first Tool show and my first visit to this particular location I might be lacking some experience to give a profound analysis. Maybe the location was responsible for the poor sound quality.
Anyay, don't want to sound too negativ, I nonetheless enjoyed the show very much and am looking forward to my next Tool experience.
Greetings.

kathrin
06-07-2006, 05:02 AM
I really enjoyed the show and I wouldn't hesistate to pay 40€ for the ticket again. although I hoped for "the pot" to be played, I'm quite satisfied with the setlist. It was my first Tool-show and therefore I was very excited :) in my opinion (which isn't based on experiences but on personal and subjective feelings): a very good show, I liked it :)

hansalbers
06-07-2006, 05:43 AM
it was my fourth tool show and this one was the worst of all of them...the sound sucked so bad, but thats not the bands fault, its just the location...its way to huge for the small stage and if you put the speakers in the middle of the arena and not to the sides, its no wonder, that the sound sucks in the back of the arena...after the show, i heard nobody really satisfied...everyone said something about a to short show or the bad sound...but wtf...maybe they'll pick a better location and setlist on the "real" tour...

Sloan
06-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Hamburg Sporthalle (the location) is known for its bad sound and indeed, it was an unfortunate place for TOOL to play there. Nevetheless, I had much fun there, it was my first TOOL concert. So, for me it was something very special and I enjoyed it. They fucked me out of order with their playing and sound (as good as it could be there) and that it all what matters.

Undenied
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Allright. I was on the show, too.

And do anyone know the tracklist of the music played before tool started???
There was one song I really liked sounds a bit like "undenied" from "Portishead".. However. Do anyone know the names or do anyone knows where i could get the names?
thanks.

hansalbers
06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Machtlose Perfektionisten

Schwierige Akustik in der Sporthalle - da hatten Tool keine Chance

Die Konzertkritiken aus den USA überschlagen sich vor Euphorie. Bei Rock am Ring waren sie gefeiert worden. Und in der Vergangenheit hatten sie bisher kein einziges Mal enttäuscht. Wie kaum eine andere Band stehen Tool für Perfektion bis ins Detail - egal, ob auf Platte oder live. Diese Perfektion gab es auch gestern in der Sporthalle - spieltechnisch zumindest. Denn gegen die Architektur des für seine schwierige Akustik berüchtigten Baus waren die vier Virtuosen machtlos.

Entweder zu bass- oder zu höhenlastig, mal mit zu viel, mal mit zu wenig Gesang, war der Livesound meilenwert davon entfernt, mit den filigran abgemischten Konzerten der letzten Tournee mithalten zu können. Auch von den Visuals her gabs nicht viel Neues: zu weiten Teilen die gleichen Farbspielereien und Videos wie auf der "Lateralus"-Tour 2001, nur, dass die Projektionen nicht auf einer Riesenleinwand, sondern auf vier kleinen gezeigt wurden. Was die ganze Chose nicht unbedingt eindrucksvoller machte.

Verglichen mit anderen Live-Konzerten konnten sich Tool immer noch behaupten - bloß nicht, wenn man ihre eigenen Maßstäbe anlegt. Denn die sind astronomisch hoch. Vielleicht war das auch der Grund für den schnellen Abgang. Nach 95 Minuten war alles abrupt vorbei. Keine Zugabe. "Bye-bye Germany."

Quelle: Hamburger Morgenpost, Mittwoch, 7. Juni 2006

DirtyBanana
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Allright. I was on the show, too.

And do anyone know the tracklist of the music played before tool started???
There was one song I really liked sounds a bit like "undenied" from "Portishead".. However. Do anyone know the names or do anyone knows where i could get the names?
thanks.

They played meshugga also.

deep_schismic
06-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Could someone please tell me what song that was playin before Tool came on...started out as a phone conversation between a black guy answering an ad for a black metal band?? It was the funniest shit I've ever heard..strangely enough, I (along with a cool chick I met) were the only ones pissing ourselves..and people just kinda stared like WTF...maybe we were too busy to notice other people also laughing. It's part of their cd they have on the PA, as I heard it at Rock-im-Park a few days earlier also...again I was the only one laughing..(!!)

ICE-T
06-08-2006, 04:24 AM
I am a bit dissapointed! Setlist was the same as the last few shows and it was to loud!

deep_schismic
06-08-2006, 05:07 AM
Well the setlist issue I think we just have to accept as their warmup tour setlist. (I was hoping for Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient though since they HAVE been playing it this tour)...'remember there is a full-blown fall tour to come yet' is what I told myself.

And also...have you considered the alternative..which is what if you didn't get to see them at all? Or if they walked off because some idiot tried to throw a water bottle at Maynard (which someone did, I don't know if too many people noticed)? I ended spending over €300 to be there, which is quite shitty...but then there was the alternative..

I think the sound depended on where you were positioned. I was up the front (only guy I saw wearing an Opeth shirt) in front of Adam, so I have to admit the vocals were a little bit drowned out at times by Adam's 3 monster amps, Danny's pummelling of his drumkit and Justin's-slap-you-silly bass. The vocals being drowned was sometimes intentional though..i.e. Rosetta Stoned...people complaining about this is amusing! (refer to heapifyman's post)-made me wonder if they listened to the song on the cd! When I saw them at Rock-im-Park I was dead center at the back with a view of the whole stage and had a different experience altogether as the sound was astoundingly good.

Overall the Hamburg show was fuckin awesome...as I was seriously left just gasping and speechless at its conclusion.. the trio of lateralus, vicarious and aenema was just overwhelming, each in its own different way...Lateralus once again left me with a tear in my eye, goosebumps all over each time I feel Maynard telling us to "spiral out, keep going, spiral out" in my chest. Vicarious managed to be lifted to a whole other level live...I can't wait for the video. And well..what else is there to say about Aenema?

Apart from that..how amazing was the Talk box solo on Jambi???

I just loved the communication and camaraderie the foursome displayed, smiling to one another, taking a breather after a MONSTER of a song by sitting down and having a drink...giving each other hungry chicken and a solid handshake at the end of a good show...that was great.

And I also got to meet a handful of really awesome people...Samir (hope you made it to the Berlin show!), Alex, Rene, and cool Danish guy with a pilot's coat...you know who you are.

Peace out,
Deep

EDIT: So were there actually US football players at the show?? I did not notice any soccer-types..

EDIT 2: I realize from reading the feedback from previous shows here that their routine is pretty standard (on-stage breather before vicarious, group hug at end, maynard saying something about new album (or just "new song") before Jambi...but again, let me just remind people...this is Tool! They are an INCREDIBLY TALENTED live band. And this is a warm-up tour!

somatogramm
06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Sorry, if my post might be a bit negative. But it still doesn't feel like I was at a Tool-concert two days back. Puzzled. Baffled. Not amused. Hope the follow-up tour, in case there is one, will turn out to offer concerts more worthwhile.

First of all, I think it’s a bummer that there was no support band, because in the past most of the time Tool’s support bands were high quality and I love finding new music.
I think it would have been nice, appreciative & courteous if they played longer.
I wish they would let real encores happen. That’d be appreciative & courteous as well.
After they’re done (playing), I wish they wouldn’t instantaneously turn on the sterile-now-leave-us-alone-will-ya-ceiling lights and cd-player.
I think, it’s always nice if setlists change and develope. It’s just more natural and vivid. Unfortunately Tool’s setlist is almost static. It’s just not much fun for the audience, when they know exactly what’ll happen and that , basically, the audience’s response is completely irrelevant. No –potentially- fruitful feedback effects possible. Sad. Limiting.
I wish the concert would be filled with more interaction and joyous celebration. It’s more fun. Interaction and celebration in a way standing for a “Thank you, fans, for supporting and following us through all the years and making our art and way of life possible.”
I wish they wouldn’t play venues that are so well-known for their crappiest acoustics on earth and watching-TV-/refugee-camp-like-atmosphere. They played so darn well, but my ears wouldn’t stop bleeding! They played so darn well, but I couldn’t really follow, because they were so far away!

Sixth Tool Show in 12 years - and the best thing on tuesday was the beer!
Unbelievable.

Undenied
06-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Okeey,

Meshuggah were played... but that is not the kind of music I am searching... I was some downbeat stuff... sounds a bit like Portishead or Massive Attack. If anyone know something about the music played before tool started or if you know where to get some information, please reply.

Frank Buck
06-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Anyone happen to know what happened to Maynard - singing through a wet t-shirt half way through the gig!?!

deep_schismic
06-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Anyone happen to know what happened to Maynard - singing through a wet t-shirt half way through the gig!?!

yeah I noticed that too...was a bit perplexing..I thought maybe he was having a nosebleed...

or...

...adam let one rip, and the only way maynard could keep singing was through a water-soaked shirt...

or...

maynard wanted to create a cool effect on his voice (don't even ask how that's possible physically or aurally)

perhan
06-09-2006, 02:06 AM
my 4th tool show. pretty ok. bad sound. maynard had problems with his voice. adam's guitars were way too loud for most of the show. definitely too short for a band that played for full 2 hours on the lateralus tour.