Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

inreverse
05-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Not sure about the order of the songs played:

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

There were some initial problems with the tv screens but they managed during the show, did i mentioned that it was blast... SHIT THE BED

Some Maynard quotes:

"it's past you bed time"

He sad something about being hot in the beginning of Ænema ... hey, hey, hey, hey

Peace

Slain_monkey
05-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Hey!

Just got home from the SuperBock Super Rock festival and Tool were, THE BEST of the night, period.

All through the festival several sound tormented almost every single band in the stage but with Tool it was crystal clear :-)

inreverse got the setlist right, i think, and I really didn't expect "Sober" nor "right in two", which sounded really good. i wanted more and more but, hey, can't have it all, right? (pushit, wings pt 1 & 2, jimmy, 3rd eye, H. and Eulogy come to mind as songs I would have loved to hear)

Most of the crowd were REALLY into the gig, and several people I know who don't know Tool's work in depth were simply amazed. The "bored faces" I saw were mostly from people with T-Shirts of other bands *cough*korn*cough*...

I think Maynard said "Peace out" before Ænema, but I am not sure, and apparently, today (May 26th?27th?) is Jimmy's 40th birthday..

All in all it was awsome.

And 5 little words Maynard said don't seem to leave me alone:

"see you in the fall"

I just hope that was REALLY what he said.

-..Devoted's out..-

blitzedge
05-26-2006, 09:25 PM
i really wish i knew why they weren't playing The Grudge anymore on tour...maybe the scream at the end?? thats such a great song.

Solivagant
05-27-2006, 01:26 AM
It was indeed the best of the show, I wasn't expecting so many folks to be interested in Tool, but it was a huge audience.

My only gripe is that I wanted so much to be near the band, that I got almost crushed amidst the mosh, which would come and go. By the middle of Stinkfist I was already soaking wet, and it was just the beginning...

They dropped Rosetta Stoned from the recent shows for some reason, could be for lack of time, or they weren't sure of the fans reaction to the new album, but from where I was, everybody cheered each new music, almost as much as the others (Lateralus and Aenima come to mind, people started going insane, almost).

The problems at the beginning of the show with the screens pissed people off a LOT, I even saw some folks leaving, since it took about 20 minutes or something just to fix the screens, but when it started, IT STARTED!

Maynard was is usual self, and I loved his comment about it being past our bedtime. Besides that, "See you in the fall" and a few shouts for Portugal, and saying thanks, he only talked about Sean Penny's 40th birthday, which would be yesterday, 26th of May. Since Alice in Chains had already been at the show earlier in the day, it was nice for Maynard to mention them, but there were no covers.

All in all, the best of SuperBock SuperRock.

alientool
05-27-2006, 02:22 AM
awsome!!!!!!!!!
yes he said "see you in the fall"
i wanted rosetta!!!

Astrolopitekos
05-27-2006, 02:31 AM
All I really want to know is what the hell happened to Adam.... What the hell :S he was mostly playing the songs off-key and it seamed like if he wasn't there o_O
at least the talk-box solo was flawless :\ but I was expecting MUCH more from him.

Great show anyway :|
Justin and Danny are maniacs....o m g.... O_O I've never seen anyone playing bass guitar like Justin does. Now I really know that I suck at bass-playing :(

Kezman
05-27-2006, 06:42 AM
i just came from the concert too, and it was ***king amazing!! one of the best shows i've seen! the show started with the awesome stinkfist and finished even better with aenima, they've played too schism, vicarious, forty six and two ... it was surely the best performance of the festival, and i hope they come back soon :)

rjlouro
05-27-2006, 07:14 AM
What a day.. First my car broke about 10km from the festival, arrived late and missed the first songs from Alice in Chains (they were great btw). Deftones were shit, and I used to be a deftones fan. Chino singing passenger alone was the worse moment i've ever seen on stage. Then the huge delay before tool and the screen probs, I was so pissed by then, the difference between 2 screens and 4 screens is huge. To finish the night, I had to get a cab to take me home, since I live 200km away it costed me 175 euros.

I have to say i'm a little disappointed with the concert. The last tour was far more amazing when it comes to the concert in general, the visuals were out of this world. Even A Perfect Circle had a more unique start with maynard in a box. This was just like "hey, let's put 4 screens behind us with out-of-sync images and just play for a change", it feels a lot less carefully planned than the other. And for a professional band it's just weird how they use Windows operating systems for video playback on the screens, and plain stupid not to have a backup computer in situations like this.

The good part was the great sound and specially Danny, kick ass performance. All the others performed well and maynard's voice was perfect.

I managed to get some pics, you can find then at http://www.flickr.com/photos/97308533@N00/sets/72157594146614244/

The really kick ass part was MJK saying "See you in the fall", if he's serious I hope it's a Tool only concert, and I promise i'll be there.

nutshell
05-27-2006, 07:58 AM
great show yesterday, it was too short like the aic show, but amazing, perfect

about the birthday, it was Sean Kinney's birthday, aic drummer

see you in the fall!! a return?? we hope so

emotional masturbation
05-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Extended stinkfist
Schism on speed
Intension before Right in two

«See you in Fall»
Some words bout some guys birthday
The computer guy was on drugs
All the mosquitos went away when they started playin
Everyone sang along the first lines of The Pot
Beautiful.

rjlouro
05-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Oh, and the official merchendising was really expensive! 20 euros for a hat, 30 for mens t-shirt, 35 for women t-shirt, 40 for long sleeves.. damn.. the problem is, they were awsome, I just had to buy the long sleeves and t-shirt =)

fjgtovar
05-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Ok,
my 3rd Tool show ever!
First was in Lisbon, 2002, when they played at the Ozzfest and Ozzy didn´t play!
That was great actually, because Tool got all the time and there were a lot of less people at the show(many preferred the money back). So, I enjoyed Tool in 2002 more than last night at Superbock Superrock, but just because last night the crowd was huuughe, so I couldn´t get so close. But obviously Tool are bigger and bigger with time, in Europe too.

The show itself was great as usual, apart from the mentioned problem with screens, but all in all great sound, cannot say much more.

Maynard said "Se you on the fall", so this time there could be a double european tour....that proves what I say about Tool becoming really BIG all around the planet.

I have followed Tool here in spain since Undertow "saw the light", an d I just hope the band "keeps on walking" just like up tilll now.

Tool, please stay Tool!!

P.S. By the way, T-Shirts were 30€ in 2002 as well, so it is not too bad, since the price hasn´t gone up!!! I got 2!!!

alientool
05-27-2006, 09:51 AM
intension?????? are you sure????? is that confirmed?

yes a little intro of intension before right in two

Astrolopitekos
05-27-2006, 01:40 PM
yeahhh when they played the little Intension intro stuff..omg... I thought I was going to die from happiness..... really O____O Danny Carey and that Mandala thingy <-- You can only love it! <3

Slain_monkey
05-27-2006, 01:54 PM
A little quote from an online portuguese news site:

"Há bandas que são muito boas em estúdio e outras que fazem dos seus concertos ao vivo a sua imagem de marca. E depois existem os Tool..."

translation:

"Some band are really good in studio and some other bands turn their live acts into their trademarks. And then there is Tool..."

I really thinks it sums it up...
And I agree the entrance was a bit bland, but maybe they were already tired of keeping us waiting... cough*cough*cough ;)

And I was kinda waiting to see Maynard on stage with either AIC or Deftones, the audience kept calling him out...

Can't wait for news about the potencial Fall tour...

Self_Destructive
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
First time I saw TOOL live... and well this is aready one of the most memorable nights in my whole life. I have to say that I missed Rosetta Stoned, but hell... they were amazing! Specially Danny... the drum solos were over the top and I still get the chills on my spine just from talking about them.
"Sean Kinney, 40 years old", Maynard kept repeating this during the show...
"See you in the fall", crossing my fingers for this one to come true...

peripheral
05-27-2006, 02:45 PM
yes a little intro of intension before right in two
it is confirmed. that is how that played it in chicago as well. a tip for those in the know, and for the people sitting around me at that show, i apparently was the only one. maybe the last 10-15 seconds of intension w/ direct lead into...

spirochite out kiddies!

tattool
05-27-2006, 04:49 PM
This was the actual setlist. I got one from one guy of their crew :)

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

The problem with the video was because the video guy did not checked the video anytime during the day.
He just putted it on just before the show. He had 2 media servers with the images, each one handling 2 of the onstage screens. 1 handled the 2 on the left side and the other the 2 on the right side. When he connected them before the show, one of them was having problems. Instead of reboot them once, seeing it didn´t worked and get a spare server going, he reebooted it several times, went through various Windows menus trying to fix the problem, and all this with all the audience watching it !! To make things worse, he had 2 spare media servers... inside the equipment truck !!! As a result, everybody saw that there was a problem that they could not handle, and the show had to start with only 2 screens instead of 4, and with a delay of 20 minutes. Nice going, video guy...
Only during Sober ( the 7th song of a 10-song concert...) they fixed the problem and had the 4 screens running...

Apart from the video situation, the concert was brilliant, the only flaw was that it was too short...we wanted mooooore !!! Let's hope they do come back in the fall, as Maynard suggested, but this time, with their own headlining act, maybe @ Pav.Atlantico or Coliseu...let's keep our fingers crossed.

rjlouro
05-27-2006, 05:12 PM
As I said before, that just shouldn't happen on a professional band, no matter what band we're talking about. That video guy should have his ass kicked (and they could invite me for a fail-safe Linux alternative, hehe)

If they do come back (fingers crossed), please make it at Coliseu, I think it matches the band perfectly, but I don't really care as long as they return.

lagrima
05-28-2006, 09:29 AM
I got to see adam smiling right in , front of me ... for severals or 2 moments.
Tool show . who doesnt enjoy being pat of one ..

Btw i had the lobal orning t-shirt and was one of the few that knew all the lyrics.
Tool fan since 1992 !

" For to bear and read you all , the pieces of our ending. "

influenza
05-28-2006, 02:28 PM
My second Tool show, and what a show!

Some technical problems before the show, they couldn't get the four screens to work. After almost a 30 min delay, it started with only the two center screens (really people... the minute i saw that Windows logon screen... omg... two words regarding using computers for these situations: windows wrong)
I found this kind of funny beacuse of all the stereoscopic artwork from 10,000 Days; "right in two", "two become one..." - eventually they extended the projection to the outer screens and two screens became in fact one picture. Freeking loud show, the sound was great, Maynard was great and talked a lot in between songs, Danny and Justin great, Adam was great in his own introspective way of performing. You guessed, it was great. Shit the bed!

Great moments:

- Schism on steroids (There is a video of the entire song filmed with a cellphone somewhere already)
- The intro to The Pot
- Justin's bass in The Pot (man it gave chills)
- "I'm praying for rain..." - My second best live bit ever. It will hardly get toped when they played it in 2002 at Ozzfest Lisbon. Looked up, heard that line, rain pooring on my face... beatufill...
- Adam's talkbox solo on Jambi

Quotes (By MJK):

"Thank you for comming to Sean Kinney's birthday party"; "Sean kinney is 40 years old" (mention Sean kinney's birthday in between almost every song)

"It's way past your bet time"

"Have you had enough" (you kiddin'??)

Maynard said something like "i'll break this bottle for you Sean Kinney". He then trew it against the floor, it bounced and hit him on the chin, "Ouch".

Didn't catch the "see you in the fall" comment, but i'm hopping it's true.

Troutman
05-29-2006, 03:15 AM
- Excelent show, realy intense, with just the right balance between old and new songs. Aenema was the high point of the show for me...pure musical bliss. Too good to describe.

- Great sound. This was the best live sound I've ever heard, and believe me, I've had my share of live concerts. I could feel my whole body shake to every note Justin and Danny played. Realy fat, powerfull sound!

- Didn't notice Adam striking anything off key, but he did seem alienated...like he was bored or something. All the others were realy into it, specialy Justin, which played enthusiastically throughout the show.

- I was realy desapointed for the lack of an encore...I couldn't believe it, when I realized the road crew was turning things off...not even one song more?!? I was hoping they'd play "Prison Sex" which originaly hooked me up on Tool back in '94...what a shame.

- Maynard DID say "See you in the fall". Let's hope that happens. I can't wait to see them in a "non-festival" concert.

skane
05-29-2006, 04:13 AM
most of my thoughts about the show were already said on this thread's previous posts.
so,would just like to point out a few things:

-the first half of Right in Two disappointed me a bit :\ lacked something (in my mind,at least).the second part,on the other hand,was brilliant just like the rest of the set
-The Pot & Jambi live are amazing,was afraid they might leave one of them out of this show
-Vicarious:live attains another dimension but still one of my least favourite Tool songs.
-surprising the ammount of people that gathered near the stage when Tool were supposed to begin.the organisers talk about 30,000 people being there on the 26th
-not so surprising the look on some people's faces during and after the show...people who might have been a bit skeptical about Tool's live shows ;)

Awesome it was,can't wipe off this smile from my face since friday... the pieces do fit!

-besides Tool,only payed attention and moved towards the stage for the mighty Alice in Chains.better show than I could expect,a shame it was so short and during daytime. (should have played Bleed the freak at the end!!!!)

lagrima
05-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Adam his the one , nothing of key to me also.. maybe he lost some notes but gain leverage later. Listen later if you can to The Pot in this concert , if my memory recalls... "whatever youd like to call it" ... i like the word note , some call it mistake or error .
The Pot... during the reef similar to schism , that well knowed intro :)
nothing of key to me also ... maybe he lost some notes but gain leverage later. =)

Astrolopitekos
05-29-2006, 11:21 AM
ok... he lost some notes.. lots of notes.. did you hear the same Lateralus guitar solo as me? :x it was kinda painful to my ears really :S to the point I was only listening to bass+drums lol heh...

static_dex
05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Did anyone see Deftones in Lisbon? I read on deftonesworld.com that they played Passenger, anyone see Maynard performing this with them?

catat0nia
05-29-2006, 01:23 PM
no he didn't.

chino sang it alone.

Slain_monkey
05-29-2006, 02:10 PM
unfortunately, i should add...

maynard singing it with him would have been great =)

soios
05-30-2006, 03:40 AM
i've seen the light!!!
this was necessary!!!

it was my first time on a tool concert, i couldn't make it in 2002!!
and after this one i'll go to everyone near me! outstanding! it was for sure the best concert i've ever seen...and i've seen a phew!

don't know if you all have seen the bottle that MJK wanted to break in honor to sean kinney's 40th birthday... and bounced back to him to hit him in the leg...
it was a good moment! live concerts have things like that!

hope to see them in the fall!!

"i'll keep digging..."

soios
05-30-2006, 03:46 AM
oh! and other thing...

during the two days of the SuperRock one of the sponsors, "Worten" a store of music and all the machines you can imagine!, had distributed a small paper that gave discounts on their store if want to buy ( and here is the joke!!!)... the new FOOL album, 10000 days!!

i don't have one with me but i've seen lots of them!

Ana
05-30-2006, 07:36 AM
It was the second time I saw Tool Live and It was great, in spite of the tecnical problems with the screens onstage......
But, there is one thing I can't understand: Why are Tool's European show's always SORTER THAN THE ONES IN THE US?!
DO WE DESERVE LESS?!
Anyway, It's always GREAT TO SEE TOOL LIVE NO MATTER FOR HOW LONG.....
Ope there will be a European Tour in the Fall and Ope they coe back to Portugal to play a REAL TOOL SHOW!!!!!!!

influenza
05-30-2006, 10:40 AM
It was the second time I saw Tool Live and It was great, in spite of the tecnical problems with the screens onstage......
But, there is one thing I can't understand: Why are Tool's European show's always SORTER THAN THE ONES IN THE US?!
DO WE DESERVE LESS?!
Anyway, It's always GREAT TO SEE TOOL LIVE NO MATTER FOR HOW LONG.....
Ope there will be a European Tour in the Fall and Ope they coe back to Portugal to play a REAL TOOL SHOW!!!!!!!
Normally Tool plays festivals in Europe, concerts are usually shorter... Mas é uma pena... Espero que voltem no Outono como disse o Maynard :D

blacknail
05-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Indeed Maynard said "Sean Kinney, I break this bottle in your honor!" and then threw it onto the floor.

Great concert, although they didn't play The Grudge (they are not playing it live in this tour)
Unfortunately they didn't played Rosetta Stoned nor The Patient. It was strange because they´ve played it in recent shows :\

Adam was quiet but I think it's his own style, introspective.
Danny and Maynard ruled and Justin ruled as well plus the man was enjoying every single second and every single note he was playing! =)

Someone can say where did that "jam" took place in the setlist?

soios
05-31-2006, 02:49 AM
Indeed Maynard said "Sean Kinney, I break this bottle in your honor!" and then threw it onto the floor.

Great concert, although they didn't play The Grudge (they are not playing it live in this tour)
Unfortunately they didn't played Rosetta Stoned nor The Patient. It was strange because they´ve played it in recent shows :\

Adam was quiet but I think it's his own style, introspective.
Danny and Maynard ruled and Justin ruled as well plus the man was enjoying every single second and every single note he was playing! =)

Someone can say where did that "jam" took place in the setlist?

i think the jam took place after Sober and before Lateralus...i think it was that but i might be wrong!!

Æmitis
05-31-2006, 07:58 AM
The jam is the new intro to Sober, similar to what they usually do in Merkaba.

dl.lopes
05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
I have a feeling that maynard was anoyed when he said "Isn't it past your bedtime?". And throughout the show I could see proof of that from where I was standing. In Anema he sang "Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories" right up front instead of the normal lyrics, and he did it on purpose.Too many drunken, shitfaced teenagers if you ask me. Tool was never about drugs and irresponsability.
And I think he was kidding about the "see you in the fall" bit (I really hope not)!.

Anyway, I waited nine hours in the sun alongside my girlfriend to see them. It was a great birthday gift (for me and Sean Kinney).
I wasn't disapointed.

catat0nia
05-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I have a feeling that maynard was anoyed when he said "Isn't it past your bedtime?". And throughout the show I could see proof of that from where I was standing. In Anema he sang "Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories" right up front instead of the normal lyrics, and he did it on purpose.Too many drunken, shitfaced teenagers if you ask me. Tool was never about drugs and irresponsability.
And I think he was kidding about the "see you in the fall" bit (I really hope not)!.

Anyway, I waited nine hours in the sun alongside my girlfriend to see them. It was a great birthday gift (for me and Sean Kinney).
I wasn't disapointed.

fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories is a lyric for aenema. yes it is.

of course there were many poser boys and girls there, but who cares? i really don't, i saw tool alone, and i loved it. too bad people think tool is all about drugs, but i don't.

lagrima
05-31-2006, 02:10 PM
yes but i notice that to ... he may have missplaced the frases my friends ..
remember the other ones "... dysfunctional,insecure actresses."
I really enjoyed The Pot a lot , great lyrics live also ...

Parabêns man grande dia para ti !! beautifull!

Vlad_1959
05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Beautiful!

Magnificent concert... the best one I ever saw!

The only thing that I can point at and say: "Bad", is the duration of it! Way to short!

I could have stayed there all f**king night and I wouldn´t get tired!

Hope to see them again in the fall! But please, no more Lisbon!

Portugal is much bigger then that! And better to...

I specialy missed "The Grudge"... it would have turned the audiance in fire! Even more!

Absolutely beautifull!

Hasta!

AlexTool
06-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Hey, hey hey hey hey hey

So, this was the 2nd i saw TOOL live... i saw them at the ozzfest in 2002..
For me they are always perfect, either live or in studio...
This time in lisbon, there were 2 things not so great,, they didnt played The Grudge and the show was too damn short... ( not their fault )
Despite the problem with the screens, the ending was beautiful, they played AENEMA, and Maynard said : " see ya in the fall " witch really turned the crowd on ( even more )
Note: 10/10... TOOL is always perfect no matter what...

Peace for all

Unl1v3d
06-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Perfect concert. Fuck*ng love, it was worth waiting for the panels to be fully operational.

And despise what others may have said, Defontes was fuck*ing beautiful, yeah Chino didn't had a great performance at Passenger, and i bet he knows it, but still he keept singing it let he didn't fucking care, Deftones and all other bands are not just about the voice you know. Great fuck*ng concert Defontes!

Still Tool was by far the best one ;)

superfreak
06-03-2006, 02:33 PM
First of all, I'm not used to write in english (I live in the north of Spain.), but i'll try to do my best.
I tried to post this in the Superbock thread but it has just closed.
It´s been 8 days since this great show took place in Lisbon, and 4 years since the previous Tool gig in that city. Last week the concert was ok, but i had a better time in 2002 when they played at Restelo stadium, in the west of Lisbon. The visuals and setlist were so much better. This was the setlist that day (2002-06-04):

The Grudge
*(-) ions
Stinkfist
Parabol
Parabola
Schism
*small intro of Merkaba
Sober
Ticks and Leeches
Disposition
Reflection
Triad
Aenema
Lateralis

......that is Lateralus almost on its entirety (we missed The Patient), and 2 more songs than this time (2006-05-26):

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
*small intro of Intension
Right In two
Sober
Lateralis
Vicarious
Ænema

There were 10.000 people at the stadium that year, this time we were 30.000 and it was a really hot night, with a suffocating crowd ( i saw 2 girls fainting near the stage while waiting for Tool)

However, the other day Tool were as amazing as always . The show was in the east of Lisbon, beside the sea, near the "Expo'98" and a long bridge (the longest bridge of Europe, if i'm not wrong).

The funniest thing for me was to see MJK with boots, blue jeans, no t-shirt, "mirror" sunglasses, and a cowboy white hat. Please somebody tell me if he uses this wardrobe in the other cities! In 2002 he came onstage with his body painted blue.
And did you notice the funny gesture that he made one of the times that he said "Sean Kinney, 40 years old" ?? He looked at one side of the stage, lifting his arms like he was saying to somebody "this people do not react!" He was all the time kind of expecting an ovation for S.K. , but i think that nobody knew who Sean was. I knew that 05-27 was Sean Kinney's 40th birthday because the day before I read it on imdb.com (searching for Alice in chains), but I didn't expect MJK to do that.
By the way, while AIC were playing some hours before, some fans showed a big poster in which we could read "Alice in chains: born again", but nothing about the birthday.

Tool began at 1 a.m ... (2 a.m. in Spain), so I was nearly asleep. But people went crazy when they started with Stinkfist. I nearly fell to the ground, nearly lost my camera so I had to stop recording that.
I was so glad to see them beginning with that song, because I don't like Rosetta Stoned that much. And it was even better to hear "Right in two", that is in my opinion the best song of this last CD, a masterpiece... incredible.
Another magic moments were the beginning of 46&2 and Lateralis...

To the fans that complaint about Adam being static, I just want to remind them that he's the guy who made all the visuals and videos, and he prefers people to enjoy it than to watch him jumping like a monkey while playing songs. They're not Green Day...
And yes, MJK said "see you in the fall" but we have to remember that he loves to say shocking things to his audience. For example in 2002 he said "this is now our favorite place to play (Lisbon) ". And I have a video in which we can see him in a show in the US saying "We are going to play this song (No Quarter) because... (screaming) you are our favorite audience ever!!!) he's always kidding, and so ironic.
i uploaded some pictures to this Url:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94285382@N00/sets/72157594154421400/