PDA

View Full Version : Undertow Cover

ptp
11-23-2002, 09:37 AM
I have heard many meanings of the picture on the front of this cd....whats yours?

cradled
11-23-2002, 12:47 PM
It's a model of a ribcage that Adam made. Supposedly it's color is "flocked" red.

Also, if you hold the booklet up to the light, the ribcage perfectly encases the fat lady on the other side of the page.

euthanasia
11-23-2002, 03:09 PM
note the ribcage is fully open...
the main purpose of our ribcage is to protect our orgnans, our insides, hence why it is closed
the insides here are vulnerable

em-pathy
11-24-2002, 03:02 AM
I don't know if this is relevant but Ramiro Rodriguez has a similar piece to the Undertow cover with a rib cage open and a person inside it. However, it was done in 2000, way after Undertow was released so I guess that discounts any chance that Tool were influenced by it in the making of the Undertow artwork.

Ramiro Rodriguez contributed his artwork for a couple of Tool posters (he may have done more than that, that's as much as I know though).

http://w3.one.net/~icarus/ram/Corazon.jpg
This is the picture.

LoKi
11-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by cradled
Supposedly it's color is "flocked" red.

it's colour is just red, flocking is some sort of texture [i think it's sort of fuzzy] technique used.

sidez
11-25-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by euthanasia
note the ribcage is fully open...
the main purpose of our ribcage is to protect our orgnans, our insides, hence why it is closed
the insides here are vulnerable
that never occured to me, as I really did not see how it formed a ribcage, but what you said really makes sense to me. I agree.

prettylikedrugs
11-30-2002, 06:04 AM
hold it up to the light, there you will see the guy on the reverse in the middle of the ribcage

Spiral
11-30-2002, 07:31 PM
I read that the ribcage is an actual sculpture Adam did.

If you sized it up, it belongs to the obese nude woman in the conver.

The Undertow album has very different art work, it's like there is a story behind every disturbed picture, how you interpret is as individual as you and I.