Schism
Right In Two
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

original f/x
05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
setlist....

stinkfist
46 and 2
jambi
schism
right in two
lost keys
rosetta stoned
the pot
lateralus
vicerious
aenima

unfukinbeleivable

ill try this again! the thunder and lightning and hail before the show was amazing.... it was mother natures way of saying " tool is about to play inside....get ready"

good night .....im gonna go have sex all nite w/ my girlfriend.....she deserves it since she caught danny's drumstick!!!!!

jambi and the pot were my favs

Ambut
05-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Stinkfist
Forty-Six&2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Lateralus
[something electronicky that I didn't recognize]
Vicarious
ænema

Probably my favorite Tool show so far...very straightforward in general. Maynard didn't do a lot of talking. After Stinkfist, he asked "where the fuck are we?" and mumbled a bit before heading into Forty-Six&2, and before The Pot he said something about the internet and how "less capable singers" would fail at this song, or something to that effect. [see other reviews below for better quotage] It was nearly impossible to understand what he was saying, especially from the next to last row, so maybe someone from closer in could verify this. In any case, he ended his lil speech with "if I fail, it's because you have failed me" and then went right into The Pot. After that, he simply said "that one goes out to the neighborhood."

After Lateralus, they all sat down on stage and just seemed to enjoy the endless cheering and applause from all of us, who were more than willing to indulge for however long they sat there. Whether or not this was the "end" of the show before the encore or just a breather I don't know. At this point it was about 115º up in the balcony so I can't be trusted for rational thought. They did some sort of synthesizer-type segue thing which I couldn't match to anything from 10,000 Days and it definitely wasn't anything I had heard from another album, but hopefully someone else can place it. During Vicarious, Maynard did one of my favorite lead singer mistakes and left out almost an entire verse because he got lost ("stare like a junkie.......[excessive pause].....'cause I need to watch things die"), which I'm not sure everyone caught. They had been tweaking about every other song with either extended guitar parts or changed lyrics, so this may have slipped under the radar for the more stoned in the crowd.

In general, the show was a textbook Tool concert, with screens behind the band playing video along with each song, often times from music videos for the singles. Danny wore a basketball jersey (shocking), while Adam and Justin wore their average garb...not that I could really tell, being 5'4" and those two being close to the front of the stage. Maynard, however, was apparently still playing cowboy, and had jeans with a large belt buckle, no shirt, and a straw hat that he occasionally doffed to reveal what looked like a mohawk. He seemed to be in the mood to rock, not chit chat, so he didn't talk much but gave a stellar performance in all cases. Danny's drumming was exceptional, especially in the intricate 10,000 Days and Lateralus stuff, with very solid performances from Adam and Justin. The guitar seemed to be turned up too loud at some points, but it didn't really affect the show. In general, it was a really good time. The Orpheum could use a ventilation system of some kind, but I'm sure all of us had an easier time of it than the band, so I'm not complaining. It was great.

Bcguitar33
05-21-2006, 07:30 PM
The show was really great. I wish they'd played anything off of opiate or 'tow but I still can't complain.
Approximate Maynard quotes:
-"There's been a lot of flooding around here. A whole lot of floods [this is true, New England suffered a lot of damage thanks to all the rain]. I hate to say I told you so...." (Starts in on Aenema)
-"Have you heard the internet? It's a place where you can send letters without stamps. Can you imagine that? No stamps? Anyway, you might have read on the internet that I've been sick lately, and we haven't been able to do some songs because I'm an inferior singer. Well, I'm going to try doing them tonight, but know that if I fail, it is because you have failed me." (Starts in on the pot)
-"This one goes out to my neighborhood" (Maynard lived around the Boston area a while back)

Setve
05-21-2006, 07:31 PM
lol i cought maynard fuck up
my friend was trying to tell me he did it on purpose and i was like "he missed a whole line"

imo maynard could have been a tiny bit louder
i didn't like the voice thingy maynard was using for rosetta, it just sounded like feedback from where i was sitting. got orch row k ticks for free.

my first tool show and it was excellent overall. i can't wait until fall.

oh, and what did maynard hand that guy during jambi?

mjr
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
i can die a happy man/teenager/whatever.

my first tool show.

the setlist, while obviously popular song loaded and somewhat brief, was great. the only dissappointments were the beginning 3-4minutes of rosetta stoned. the megaphone/whatever thing that maynard was using didn't really work well at all. it just sounded like a jumbled mess. the rest of rosetta stoned is great but id rather lose it to get some undertow or another aenima or lateralus song. lost keys and it take up a little too much time for the amount that i like them.

i was way back (row y) in the balcony and the sound was great except the vocals were kind of low. that didn't matter because I knew everything anyway...as did most hardcore fans there. i can see how somebody not fluent in Tool would dislike the songs they don't know because literally you couldn't hear very much of Maynard's vocals unless you knew exactly what to hear for.

the energy was great. there was a wicked cool guy from TA (im TA too I was wearing a cornell hat and my TA shirt) behind me and the people around us including some guy with a shitload of hair 2 rows up were really into it. there were a few people that didn't seem totally into the concert which is a dissappointment, considering how many hardcore fans didn't score a ticket or couldn't (or wouldn't) pay a premium on scalped/ebayed/brokered tickets. i was balc LC and there was a grandma there. i expected like a younger teenage kid to come and be with her...but nobody came and she was, in fact, alone that was a surprise.

there were a few mistakes but nothing critical. only adam and maynard had a few hiccups that I noticed. the talkbox on jambi worked really well. its great to have heard right in two AND the pot...totally unexpected and a first on the tour. the video during the pot was sick it was just like a smoke cloud. too bad practically nobody was smoking. stupid security. i really sincerely fucking hope tool doesn't play the fleetcenter when they come back around again with their gay ass security and no pit. like i understand smoking in buildings is illegal and smoking pot is illegal but its so fucking annoying that at other cities/venues people can get as stoned as they please and enjoy the concert that much more. it was so hot in there but you really cant complain becuase it must have been so much worse for the band.

i understand the need (in the band's eyes) to play the hits on the warmup tour. honestly, they are too modest ... they are one of the biggest bands of the present day but they were scared they weren't going to be recieved as well as they were. they probably felt the need to supplant the new stuff (advertise/support the album) with old hits to bring everybody back in. the problem w/ that logic is that most tool fans don't really need to be brought back in...we have been in and riding the spiral for fucking ever and are ready to continue. hopefully come the stadium tour we'll get a longer (2hour) set with a more varied set list per venue including different older songs. i know DRT is pretty much out of the question and some of opiate/undertow might not fit with the current songs but that still leaves a lot of possibilities. i hope that if we start to get wings/10k then we see less of rosetta stoned because those 2 take up 40ish minutes of the set and would leave less room for other things. i like rosetta stoned but I just don't see it on the same level as other things they could have played. especially with the way the megaphone thinger worked (badly). it was kind of 3 minutes of everybody standing around wanting to get into the music but having Maynard's ramblings drown out and make for some annoying background noise. If we can get a rosetta stoned that sounds like the album I'm all for it but I don't know if thats possible...

Songs I Need to Hear Live Before I Die:
Lateralus - Check
Magdalena - Check
Third Eye - I'd shit myself. Favorite song ever...
Pushit - Please God/foreign being.
No Quarter - there's always hope.
H. - for some reason I see it happening this fall.

stimulus
05-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Is The Pot's "internet" reference one about the ongoing "Think you can sing the intro?" thread on ToolNavy?

CobraCmdr
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
fucking sick. and I also met a super hot girl on the T after the show. woohoo.

Setve
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
the friend i was with flipped out, because before one of the songs (lateralus?), adam did a slide with his pick. all night he had been wishing they would play prison sex, i knew they wouldn't, but adam had us both going.

JayCal
05-21-2006, 07:48 PM
I thought the set list kinda sucked. Nothing off Undertow? That's just crazy. They should've ditched Lost Keys/ Rosetta Stoned, those two take up WAY too much time, and played a couple other songs from Aenima or Undertow. I was really hoping to hear something off Aenima other than the "hits." Eulogy, H, Pushit, etc. Still a good show, but the set list was really lacking imho.

Bioniccommandos
05-21-2006, 07:52 PM
So before getting into Boston, I bought a pair of $20 sneakers, but I was wearing sandals to the concert. Once in Boston, I decided to change into my sneakers, it was about 2 hours before the show, but I needed a pair of socks. I went into Macy's with my friend, found a pair of socks for $7 and while I was waiting in line, I turned around and who was coming up the escalator, but...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/BionicCommandos/adamjonesandme.jpg

;)

jesus_harvey_oswald
05-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Maynard said,.... "the place we played last night was smelly" ...... then he was saying " if any of you know go on the internet , like it's a place you can actually be on"......... then he said "blah blah blah, this is blah blah blah and this is from the new album"
the show was put together very well except for the obvious (security acting like 400lb dickheads) A woman was sitting front row right and she was really into the show and they threw her out because she was too excited. 3 people got thrown out behind us because 1 of them took a drag off of a cigarette. All in all the show was outstanding in such a small venue. The only improvement would be for them to play a deeper selection of cuts when they come back in the fall.

Alveolate
05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
So before getting into Boston, I bought a pair of $20 sneakers, but I was wearing sandals to the concert. Once in Boston, I decided to change into my sneakers, it was about 2 hours before the show, but I needed a pair of socks. I went into Macy's with my friend, found a pair of socks for $7 and while I was waiting in line, I turned around and who was coming up the escalator, but...

;)

this is true. i actually took the picture (i'm 'the friend'). Anyway, about the show. GREAT show. I was very satisfied and I'm at a loss for words. Maybe I'll post something later. Peace.

mjr
05-21-2006, 07:56 PM

;)

woah...i was waiting in line at like 6:00 ish when camella drove adam right up to the entrance in an SUV...wonder wtf he needed in macy's...did you see him buy anything?

begmetostay
was it the extended stinkfist and schism?

scosh24
WHEW....Tonight, when ranked amongst past TOOL shows..... these new songs have put them at a level I felt just wasn't there....(because I was so in awe the last time I saw them, I said the same thing)
This band and these songs.....are at a whole 'nother level....thats all I can say.

Danny drives that bus.......a Master Craftsman.....so, so powerful....pushing along.

Long waves goodbye, sitting on the stage for break, mixing up the set list, Stinkfist opener, Urgh ..."The Pot".."Right in Two"..

"Who got flooded?" "Lots of floods"......"We tried to warn you...hehe.." - AEnema

Man....it just simply cannot be Duplicated.....or contained...THAT is what it is about.

noquarter05
05-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Oh, My, god. this was absolutely fucking ridiculous. Yeah Maynard missed a couple of words but other than that i dont think anything else went wrong. This show was fucking amazing. I dont know what else to say other than i should have paid more for this concert. haha. And also i met this chic who knows Maynard( and the band but she seemed to re-iterate that she knows Maynard for some reason) it was cool when she showed me a pic of Maynard and her on her phone. I thought that the mega phone thing was amazing. not only the sound but how he used it, like both the mic and that at the same time.

Adam was crazy it seemed like he was having a great time on stage, at the end of the "inside the outside" tour it looked like he was tired of the whole thing(could be wrong)

Justin was awesome, i especially liked how he was rippin it up at the end of Ænima. Crazy

And of coarse Danny was ridiculously crazy, unbelievable. Im not sure I can say anything else about him. Insane.

I liked the fast middle of schism, never get enough of the "extended" stinkfist.

And to answer someone else's question, during jambi someone gave Maynard a(im not sure of the name) battery pack(?) for the wireless earpiece that he clipped onto his pocket. Someone else can correct the name of that.

Thank You

Bioniccommandos
05-21-2006, 08:01 PM
woah...i was waiting in line at like 6:00 ish when camella drove adam right up to the entrance in an SUV...wonder wtf he needed in macy's...did you see him buy anything?

No, he seemed to be cutting through it, he was with some older guy who I'm assuming was either his guitar tech or a roadie or something. My theory is that he was cutting through Macy's to avoid being seen on the streets and attacked by hundreds of TOOL fans. Cuz what kinda TOOL fans shop at Macy's (besides the one's wearing Steve Nash jerseys*)?

*see photo
**my logic for wearing that: Danny's usual stage attire + Maynard's place of residence = a Steve Nash jersey being a perfectly appropriate thing to wear to a TOOL concert

On a side note: for a busy rockstar, he was a genuinely nice guy. He was clearly in a hurry, and I had to be "that guy" and stop him, but he was sincerely nice to me and Adam (Alveolate).

200L
05-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Great show. The Pot kicked all kinds of ass.

Opiatej21
05-21-2006, 08:30 PM
as mentioned by most, frickin amazing......17th show, another reminder why I keep coming back for more & shall continue to... couple things to help clarify:

it looked like Maynard was having issues w/ his mike during Vicarious, i don't think he forgot / left out the verse as mentioned above - he was looking @ his mike & kinda looked like he may have switched it on before the chorus kicked in.

several maynardisms....."something something something, witty comment, something something something insert another witty comment - new album, new song..." - then into Jambi.

"where are we? - we were in NY last night, they were louder, but you're better" - then into 46&2

afore mentioned flood & internet comments...pretty accurate from what I recall.

Danny had some issues w/ the snare? i think - had to be swapped out after schism...Maynard has to swap a battery or monitor or something during jambi...seemed to be having some trouble getting it clipped back onto his belt initially, but he got it once the verse ended. After Stinkfist, was a delay - looked like Justin came to the front right of the stage & a tech took his bass...not sure what was going on there...perhaps someone closer to that side knows more.

Right before schism, maynard kinda pulled adam over - almost like they were gonna play someting else, then jumped in schism...once that was done, they talked again & maynard was kinda pointing to the setlist - then they played Right In Two - almost like they were swapped on the original setlist -

Not sure how anyone could complain about the setlist - i mean, the most songs off 10,000 days to date in 1 show - other classics were excellent as always.
Extended version of Stinkfist (no extra lyrics), fast bridge in schism - very cool -

Sound was great in the orpheum, though i'm guessing that depends on where you were located - few times seemed the bass overpowered the vocals, but fortunately that didn't happen too often, just a couple times. Audience was definitely into it & was very loud - seemed the band really felt the vibe tonight!

mjr
05-21-2006, 08:30 PM
let me add that the video during Lateralus was amazing. the bird (pheonix?) thing that changed colors w/ the lyrics...extremely cool. when the eye came on the screen before the song started I was hoping for something different (parabola or third eye) lateralus later on...but whatever you can't always win. and it ended up being a kickass video during lateralus...so that was cool enough

n3b2w
05-21-2006, 08:54 PM
danny in a clippers jersey is great. maynard wearing a cowboy hat when doing all 10k days songs (aenema too). took a 5 minute break on stage. unreal.

triad636
05-21-2006, 08:56 PM
fucking sick. and I also met a super hot girl on the T after the show. woohoo.

So did I. She talked to me half way through the ride, I didnt even know she was a Tool fan. We both got off on Riverside and I shook her hand. Awesome girl :)

Really Cool

The show was amazing, we got more off of the new album than the other shows, I was quite happy about that. Maynard even joined in on the group hug this time around. Great guys, great show.

Orelia Yis-Dai-Yah
05-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Sound wasn't so great in the far right mezzanine, we couldn't understand a single word Maynard spoke and vocals were overpowered.

Getting my camera in was way easier than trying to use it...unsuccessful...too damn much security near my seat and they were busting people using their camera phones. And this stupid chick in front of me spent half the show text messaging which had security looking our way constantly. YOU'RE AT A CONCERT WATCH THE SHOW OR LEAVE! Ugh...wanted to smack her upside the head, the light from her phone was bright and annoying.

Was glad to see Maynard wasn't "hiding" behind a screen. Clear view of him made up for lack of vocal clarity.

When they were all sitting on the stage "resting" the drum tech was fixing something on the kit.

Oh and speaking of grandmas at the show...well, we were among the oldest in our section...we're 43 & 45...and I'll be loving TOOL when I'm 50 and 60!

Enfer
05-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Fuckin' amazing. Placing aside Lollapalooza like 7 years ago, this was my first Tool show, and I'm absolutely in love. Didn't think I could love Tool more than I already did before the show, haha. The setlist was AWESOME, considering that I thought they wouldn't play The Pot AND Right in Two. Absolutely orgasmic. I felt a little outta place 'cause I was like the only blonde chick wearing white, from what I saw, haha. Anyone see me? Had balcony row Q seats, sound was amazing, even though I had a hard time understanding what Maynard was saying. Despite the fucking crazy rain, the waiting in line was kinda fun. The guy in charge, the one who seemed to be on a powertrip, was actually pretty cool and placed me right in front of the line, haha. :D It was great - got to see Adam and Danny when they came in. I'm very jealous of the person who got to meet Adam. If I'd meet ANY of them, I'd die happy.

Danny was fucking insane. I've been to a few rock concerts - NEVER seen a drummer rip it up like that. Maynard looked absolutely smokin', mrowr, and his vocals were out of control. Gave me the chills. Adam and Justin did an amazing job... don't know how they fucking DO that. Argh. Fuckin' tight.

All in all, I'm depressed now that it's over, but fucking overwhelmed. I can't wait till they come back. :)

parabolaband
05-21-2006, 09:30 PM
completely inspiring show..
yet another reaffirmation why we love this band

cant wait for the fall tour

steveinator9000
05-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Awesome show, it was my first Tool show and it blew me away. I love this band. Seeing Right in Two gave me goosebumps. Also, when Maynard missed the line in Vicarious, I'm pretty sure it was because something was wrong with the mike. It looked like he had to adjust the wire connected to it, and then keep going. Good for him for not losing his place in the song.

xacidx
05-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Show was frickin awesome. Band was very tight and it sounded great. I am one happy tool fan right now in much need of sleep. Did anyone get any photos??? Post some urls if you did...I know it's a bitch to take a picture in that place.
Thanks Tool for the great show!!

Jimtheaudi
05-21-2006, 09:45 PM
First Tool show and all I can say is Holy Moses smell the Roses. It was so goddamed loud and intense. It was almost perfect 'cept for the douchebag next to me who was high on god knows what and insisted on moshing despite the seated arena. Great to hear the pot and when I can hear again I'll tell my friends about it. Tool is neato

canorus
05-21-2006, 10:13 PM
hmmm i posted and it just sort of dissapeared, wow this forum has bugs, anyway....
i was in left balcony and couldn't hear a fucking thing maynard was saying cept for"heard you got flooded...we tried to tell ya" even though just about all the songs i couldn't make out as well, but it didn't really matter, seemed like they were all in a good mood, maynard looked like a badass and was really into it, i noticed his f-up on vicarious but i think he messed up on the pot as well, he did the first line..then kinda hesitated and they just went into the song, other than that they all seemed to be in tune and energetic, as the crowd was insane as expected

the rain/hail before the show was awesome, then one big round of thunder and lightning pumped me up, sorry for my friend everybody in left balcony, he was trippin and was a complete fucking idiot, banging chairs and moving around like an idiot....i just wanted to take it all in and just ignored him

after the show he had wbcn stickers all over his body and was loosing it, but all in all a great fucking time

mjr
05-21-2006, 11:19 PM
but i think he messed up on the pot as well, he did the first line..then kinda hesitated and they just went into the song

he did that on purpose. he knew we would all try to be singing along so he caught us. it was actually pretty cool. you could hear everybody singing "you musta been out your head" while maynard was silent. then everybody looking around like what the F then he kicked it in. that was actually an awesome way to do it.

canorus
05-21-2006, 11:28 PM
he did that on purpose. he knew we would all try to be singing along so he caught us. it was actually pretty cool. you could hear everybody singing "you musta been out your head" while maynard was silent. then everybody looking around like what the F then he kicked it in. that was actually an awesome way to do it.

i don't think so dude, everyone was singing along on every song..what r u talking about? u don't skip verses in ur song to fool the audience.............

Spiralman
05-21-2006, 11:45 PM
i don't think so dude, everyone was singing along on every song..what r u talking about? u don't skip verses in ur song to fool the audience.............

He's been doing that for all the live shows. At least the ones that I've had the priviledge of hearing.

Spiralman
05-21-2006, 11:46 PM
3 words: Best Show Ever. Nuff said.

jakethesnake
05-22-2006, 05:38 AM
Me and my (7 months pregnant) girl sat outside for 2.5 hours waiting for tickets. So here's a pregame show for you all. At around 4 something the bus showed up. Security had already been assholes to us (the 30 or so waiting outside in the hope of getting tickets), stupid shit like putting up caution tape to keep us corralled on the sidewalk. When the bus showed up they made everyone move from the ticket line the whole way almost out of the alleyway. I guess they thought we were gonna rush the band or something?

It was raining for most of the day. After they parked the bus in the alley in front of the Orpheum, about 10 minutes later, a long-dark-haired man with a guitar case came out of the bus and walked into the theater. Very few people seemed to notice but I definitely knew it was Adam. A few minutes later, I was walking down the street towards the theater to throw something away in the trash can and he walked out again. I almost ran into him. We made eye contact and he waved at me and the rest of the crowd, there were a few claps and cheers as he walked towards the bus. A few minutes later he came back out and walked into the theater again.

At around 5:45 the line went the whole way from the theater, down the block and around the corner so I guess the staff decided it was time to be uber assholes again. They counted out the first 20 people in line that didn't have tickets, and told the rest of us to get the fuck out (it sucks because we were 21 and 22 in line). They also said that they weren't gauranteeing those 20 people tickets, so I hope you all got them anyway but it didn't sound promising. While the dickhead security was kicking people out of the alley I noticed Danny walking out of the theater towards the bus. Me and my girl were walking away and I looked over and Danny and I stared at each other for about 5 seconds, I am not going to question why he looked at me out of a group of 200 or so people, but he did. I turned and walked off, excited and dissapointed, it was an odd feeling.

It started to downpour about 10 minutes later as we were pulling out of the parking garage.

All in all I guess it was worth the 2+ hours of waiting for the contact I had with the band members, would have been nice to get tickets as my girl had never seen Tool in concert before.

Bcguitar33
05-22-2006, 05:50 AM
He just skipped a line, not a verse. And it may not have been to 'fool' us, per se, but I think it's a lot more likely that he intentionally left out the second line than that he forgot to do it. I mean, it's a vocal solo. You don't just forget it.

toolchick332
05-22-2006, 06:25 AM
I thought the show was awesome. This was my 4th Tool show, and they never cease to amaze. The vocals weren't great up in the balcony, but I had a great view of Danny Carey. The man simply isn't human (and a really nice guy--I met him after a show back in 2001). It was really hot in the balcony, but I was rocking out too hard to care. I just love that we have access to something so powerful--it's a much-needed kick in the ass. Spiral out, and see everyone in the fall!

Highlight was definitely "Lateralus." That song really gets me, and I don't know why.

original f/x
05-22-2006, 06:47 AM
anyone who can complain about this show should just hang it up....i mean idont think you will ever be happy!!!!!...this drumstick my girl got is so cool...it is autographed and has a weird eye on it ...best of all she gave it to me...thank you tool for a most memorable night....btw im siked that i posted the setlist first ;)

mahakala608
05-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Hey all....great show...not the best I've seen, but still pretty damn good. My buddy and I were standing by the Littlest Bar puffing on a jibba, just hanging out. This was at 7:55, show was to start at 8. Lo and behold, I hear people walking behind us, I turn around, and "Holy Fucking Shit, Maynard!". He was with a guy and a girl with dyed red hair. He had on his US POSTAL hat, and just walked on by. I tried to get his attention, "Hey, Maynard".....but alas, he pulled a "Maynard" and kept on walking. They went down the back alley leading to the rear of the Orpheum (which we had tried to sneak down minutes earlier to no avail) and were gone. Well, it's 5 minutes to showtime, and he's walking in off the street.....show wil definitely be starting late. So, putted around for a bit more, went inside and had a beer, went to my seat, and spiraled out.

FAKE TIX: met some dudes that had bought fake tix off a scalper....$200 each. I took a look at them, and they looked pretty legit to me. I felt bad for them. Fucking scalpers. Word on the street was that any tix with row "M" or "MM" were fakes.

Goddamn. Shit the bed.

zztoolzz
05-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Best show & crowd I've ever experienced in the Boston area! Thank you Tool and everyone else!!!

chunga
05-22-2006, 07:19 AM
I was one of the first 20 people in line and we got hooked up with 8th row seats. Amazing. That was the most electric atmosphere that I've ever felt at a concert. The whole day was surreal from the long wait in line too seeing the band and the lightning and hail storm. Unreal. At a loss for words. The new stuff sounded the best tonight.

TooL_TiM413
05-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Hey all, great fucking show. My first tool show and me and brother had lots of fun. You might've seen me walking around looking all staticy. I was the white white kid with the hemp necklace lol... My head is still going over all the songs the guys played. Can't wait till next time...

Timbob

vmanv
05-22-2006, 07:36 AM
great show, great setlist, The Pot was awesome. No complaints at all. Security yelled at me for trying to take a pic with my phone, it came out shitty anyway.

Rod
05-22-2006, 07:52 AM
Best ... thanks TooL for making this the last stop on the warm-up tour. We were pretty lucky, it's appreciated.

The curtain went up at just about 8:30 on the dot and it was on. "Brokeback" Maynard was allready on his riser and everyone, Danny, Justin, and Adam were in their customary spots and rocking. The entire place stood as the curtain rose and I don't think anyone sat for the whole show... Danny was sporting an Elton Brand Clipps jersey, what's wrong with Cassell, and Adam and Justin were in some nondescript black clothing.

I don't know how he does it but Maynard makes you feel like he's singing directly to you. He was pretty animated, bobbing and weaving, pacing around his riser like a caged animal belting out the lyricas, stepping into the songs. Awesome.

About half way through 46&2 the guy next to me said it was the best $200 he ever spent. We both agreed these guys could play anything they wanted and we'd be happy. Every song they played made me laugh, every song had a "Holly fucking shit" moment, phenomenal. Yeah I couldn't hear shit for some of the lyrics and it was tough to make out a lot of what Maynard said at times but it was so much fun. I still can't stop smiling just thinking about it.

Very cool that we got Jambi, the Pot, Right in Two, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, and Vicarious all in one show.

During the Pot, the friend of the dude next to me shows up with a dibbah, pretty good timing. I asked him if he knew what the hell they were playing after their interlude right before Vicarious and he had no idea. I'm not sure what it was.

They seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Lateralus is still king but it was fun with the whole crowd singing along to Aenema at the end.

Until next time...

nickknocker
05-22-2006, 07:55 AM
I believe we wandered around outside for a while, shooting the breeze, until right before we got into "line" at 7 (i think), the wind began to pick up and howl, the clouds started building creepily, and in sight of the door, the sky opened up. it was fucking awesome.

i was in the left front corner of the second orchestra section, and the only band member sighting i can claim is Adam walking past our section and people kinda going "hey!" as he disappeared into the side hallway thing.

i've been hearing a lot that the vocals were too quiet, which i think may have depended on where you were, because i almost thought they were a little in the front.

ahhhh such a great show! (even with all the screwups, haha)

MarcDrums
05-22-2006, 08:27 AM
wow that was insane.. dannys drum solo at the end of lateralus was fucking amazing..

i love how maynard said dont say we didnt warn you before playing aenima

Eyeon
05-22-2006, 08:31 AM
That put a huge smile on my face. This was my 4th Tool show, and I never thought I'd get to see them again for some reason. The 3rd time I saw them at Amherst in 2002 was the most amazing concert experience of my life ("AMHERST....third time's the charm."-maynard) and I had always suspected that some horrifying calamity would take place in the world of tool and I would never again experience another show or hear another album. I didn't think it would go any farther than Lateralus. Well, they've proven me wrong, and I am so glad. Now I feel like there is no end to the amount of music these guys could potentially put out. I feel like it could just keep going and going...

There is a unique aura I am left with everytime I see Tool. It hadn't quite hit me during or immediately after the show last night (although I did rock extremely hard, my neck is killing me). It took some time for it to sink in, but on the ride back I was positively GLOWING (I felt kinda like this when I was walking out of best buy with 10,000 days, just couldnt believe I was holding a new Tool album).

Was the show better than the last? I dunno, I feel so good right now, even the morning after, but for me I think it could have been a little better, i.e, the intense heat at the top of the balcony, having to kind of tip-toe and lean forward to see all of Adam and Justin over people's heads, relatively short show (although I dont think I could have handled anymore or that heat, nor could I possibly sweat anymore). And yeah there were some awkward moments between songs which looked like techinical difficulties, and odd silences, transitions. I guess that's the tool way though "yadda yadda yadda, silence, next song"

There were some fuck ups, like on rosetta stoned, right in two, and Im sure a few others, where Adam came in too early or too late. But when I listen to some of those instrumental sections they get so involved and you really have to be thinking to follow the rhytms, combined with the slightly muddied sound, it must be extremely difficult sometimes to find where you are and come in at the right time, especially when everyones in a diff time signature! I think I def saw Danny fuck up a couple times but I dont think anyone noticed. Most people dont notice that shit.

But hey, think about it, we got nearly all of 10,000 days performed minus wings part 1 and 2. 11 songs total I believe, my favorite number.

Thanks TOOL. I will see you again.

hkfooey
05-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Great show as always. Supreme musicianship by all four. The sound was actually better than I thought it was going to be, even on the balcony. I have to say though at the end of the little interlude when they were all sitting on Maynard's little platform, the crowd noise was simply deafening. That had to be one of the loudest crowds I have heard. Maybe it was the low ceiling.

Pretty funny moment when a drumstick just flew out of Danny's hand in the middle of one song, can't remember which one. It just flung across the stage towards Adam. I could see Danny and Justin laughing about it. Of course, never noticed any missed beats. That dude is just unbelievable.

And yeah it was hot on the balcony. I guess back when Tchaikovsky played the orpheum they didn't give a crap about the people in the cheap seats either...

kschaffer
05-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Alrighty then.
Picture this if you will.

I get to the Orpheum around 7. It’s POURING rain. We are wet and miserable. Long line to get in, security is tight. Line loops all the way around the building- when I finally turn the corner and see the Orpheum - there’s a little sliver of clear sky around the grey with a rainbow above the venue. He he. Would loved to have a camera – get the “May 21: Tool” billboard with a rainbow above it. The “Jesus saves” people are wasting their breath. Lots of people are using the flyers as makeshift hats.

Sign tool fans are cool: Some people have umbrellas, and when they get to the front of the line, they pass them back over their heads to the end of the line. Reusable umbrellas. Pretty cool to see a conveyor belt of umbrellas going back.

Security pats me down and I’m in. So f’in pumped to be inside. It’s like we are the golden ticket winners. Have to stop and take a breath, drink a beer, and say “yeah- it’s happening”.

Strange being at a concert by myself. 2nd time in my life, the other time was… the last Tool concert I saw. I can talk my wife into most shows, but not Tool. No interest. Her loss. Too much $$ for my friends. I had to bend over to the scalpers. At first, spending that much for a show seemed crazy. But after watching craigslist and ebay for a while, the sticker shock wore off. This may hurt a little but it’s something I’ll get used to.

Seat was pretty good- close up on the balcony. 8:30 sharp and away we go.

Sound- eh. Not so good. I’d read a lot of reviews of other shows that said the same. Loud, muddy, bass-heavy. Couldn’t understand a word Maynard said. So I was prepared for this. Question was- did it bother me. Answer: not at all. The whole place was so into it- such a sing-along, that I really didn’t care.

Setlist: Again, I’d been following the reports, so I knew what to expect. I wasn’t disappointed. Right in Two and The Pot. Whoo hoo. No Sober, but I can live without that. All in all, was as happy with this as any of the other shows. Sure, it could have been longer. Would have liked the Patient.

Highlights: Stinkfist was a good opener. The balcony was rocking up and down like I haven’t felt since NIN. Lateralus was awesome. The whole building spiraled out together. I love Rosetta Stoned and was psyched they played it. Vocals on this were especially bad – with the bullhorn microphone thing- but I still loved it. Aenima- finally saw it! After 3 shows.

It was very hot.

Great night. Totally worth every $$.

Dharma Bear
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Amazing show. This was my number 7 show I think, and I liked this one alot better then some of the others. Great job, I would have never guessed this was their "warm up" tour.

Oh, and everyone loved my "Tool Sucks" t-shirt. ;)

anfisechka
05-22-2006, 01:26 PM
the friend i was with flipped out, because before one of the songs (lateralus?), adam did a slide with his pick. all night he had been wishing they would play prison sex, i knew they wouldn't, but adam had us both going.

Bah I was expecting Prison Sex too.. and started screaming. Oh well... :/

StinkFister
05-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Drove from Maine to see the show. People drive like fucking maniacs in boston. I almost forgot how amazing tool is live until i saw them last night... This was my 6th time seeing them and was one of the best tool shows (if not the best) I've seen. My only complaint, from where i was (balc row r 205) maynards vocals sounded a little drowned out. Other then that though the show was amazing! Kinda wanted to hear something from undertow, but I was satisfied to get both Right in Two and The Pot. The drum solo in Right in Two was insane!

Great show, can't wait to see them again when they come back to the states.

anfisechka
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
My first Tool show. It was not as amazing as I had expected/hoped it would be, and I am really sad to say that -- I certainly wasn't looking for faults or problems. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Maybe it's because the crowd wasn't that great (imo).
Maybe...

Before I complain I'll note the cool things: I liked how everyone was yelling outside when it started raining/thundering: an appropriate 'supernatural' interlude to Tool. Also cool to see Adam jump out of his armored car, pre-show (sure lots of people saw that). Adam again walked right in front of my section (left center orchestra) before the show -- probably wasn't more than 15 feet away from me. He was wearing a hat and looking down, had maybe 2 or 3 people with him -- but no one seemed to notice who he was except a couple people sitting next to me. Bad omen. It's not even that people were being polite -- I think they honestly didn't know who he was.

Security sucked ass. Outside the staff were complete assholes, before and after the show, and usually for no reason. Continually kicked out the few people who were dancing in the aisles (and I would have liked to join them). Shining flashlights at people for no reason, singling out people who weren't doing anything wrong, etc.

Crowd: Where I was sitting, people really didn't seem that into it. Surprising, considering we were really close and had a decent view. There were some random people like myself dancing, air-drumming and singing/screaming along, but it's kind of a drain when you feel like everyone else is just standing there. And that's how I felt -- it seemed different elsewhere, and I wish I was in a more enthusiastic part of the crowd. There *were* several very loud ladies to my left screaming and trying to get people excited before and during the show -- props ladies.

I could barely hear Maynard at all during the show. Whenever he talked it sounded garbled and I could only make out a few words -- everyone screaming didn't help. I heard him say something about a metronome -- I think before the Pot. It sounded interesting. Anyone else make it out?

Sound mixing in general: The bass sounded really muddy, which is a shame because Justin seemed to be having a really good time (unlike Adam, lol). I also don't think it was loud enough. When I go to a show like this I want to feel every note IN MY BODY -- basically I just felt the floor. Occasionally felt some drums or bass in my throat or stomach, but not nearly enough to satisfy... On the plus side, guitar (and drums, though not loud enough) was really clear. I wish people would have shut the fuck up during Lost Keys though, I think that's a really beautiful 'song.'

Ok now I'll get into my general criticism. I've been waiting to see Tool for something like 8 years. It took me 7 hours to get to the show, I willingly paid ridiculous prices for my ticket, hotel and all sorts of other stuff on top of that. I did it because I was sure they would amaze me -- and in that event I wouldn't mind at all paying for the expensive merch, and would look forward to supporting them again in the fall.

There are 2 things I look for when seeing a band live: 1) musicianship, and 2) performance, which can include energy/passion/dancing/musical switchups, etc. We all already know they're great musicians, so I wasn't surprised by that. I know that by listening to the albums. I felt, however, that Maynard in particular was lacking in passion and effort. He sung well, didn't fuck up anything badly -- but I don't think the definition of a good performance is not fucking up. I wouldn't mind if he fucked up a few notes if he was totally into the performance, really belting it out (like we were), dancing, having a good time. And I LOVE Maynard, so it hurts to say that. Maybe it's because he was still sick, and I can understand that. It's just not the performance I know he's capable of giving, and that disappoints me. (Maybe listening to the tracks of him at the Layne Staley benefit right beforehand was a bad idea... damn those are fucking amazing.)

Thought some of his 'dance moves,' especially at the end of Rosetta Stoned when he did that 'aw, shucks' gesture were funny. Mostly thought they were kind of lame though. And I've spent many hours/days/years watching live footage so I think I have the right to judge. He didn't really seem to be in his body -- mostly hand gestures/arm motions/the kicking thing that got kind of old after a while. He didn't really seem like he owned the stage; I don't know if he ever will as long as he dwells in the dark on his platform behind everyone.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it was a bad show. It was good, it was fun, I had a good time. But I never felt moved, I never got chills (as I almost inevitably do when I listen to their albums or live performances). I never really felt in kinship with anyone there (except the few people really dancing, who I saw from a distance and wanted to join with). The music was good, and they nailed pretty much everything. However, I felt the performance aspect was lacking, as well as the crowd (in my section at least, and it seemed the same in the back rows in general).

I'm looking forward to seeing them in a more general-admission environment though. Then I can adjust myself to suit my preferences...

NobodyImportant
05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
I dont understand why some people are being so crirical of the set list. My advice to you people would be to go to these types of shows with more of an open mind. You should give yourself to the band for the time you're there and experience their music the way they want you to.

Anyways, It was a great night. I thought the building was gonna come down the first few minutes of the show. That balcony was bouncing like a trampoline. The event staff was definitely a little too tight, but what can ya do....

anfisechka
05-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Wanted to list a few exceptions: Lateralus, The Pot and Aenima in particular were great, and the crowd seemed really into them/were widely singing along. I was really glad they played the Pot, that's one of my very favorites on the new album.

phaery_phantasm
05-22-2006, 02:36 PM
I thought the show sounded like mud. Completely dissappointing in that I saw NIN there last year and the sound was CRYSTAL clear. It seemed like the sound was much worse on the newer material, which adds to the fact that I think the sound guy needs to be replaced. I didn't notice any errors made by Maynard because I couldn't hear ANYTHING that he was saying at all (singing lyrics or talking between songs). I do think that the band members themselves seemed to be right on, but it's hard to tell since the only thing I could hear was bass reverb. They also seemed to be having lots of technical difficulties as well; they conferred amongst themselves in between songs for the first half of the show, and I noticed Maynard mucking about with his mic during one of the songs.

Overall very dissappointing, but I don't think it was due to a lack of talent, etc. by the band...only the sound guy / mixer and whoever is supposed to be managing their equipment.

Having said all that, I thought the set list was great, and I really enjoyed hearing Lateralus (it was one of the clearer songs). I was happy to hear Right In Two as well...it was one of the songs that they'd been switching up on their previous set lists. I'm looking forward to a better (sounding) show when they come back in the fall (or so I've heard...and hope!).

MarcDrums
05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
i was laughing at maynard pointing to himself while saying "Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon."

reflectioneternal77
05-22-2006, 03:15 PM

they are correct, he did the same thing at coachella to see who knew the words because that was the first live performance, he knew anybody singing had obviously downloaded the album before the release

phatfela1
05-22-2006, 05:58 PM
I thought that the mega phone thing was amazing. not only the sound but how he used it, like both the mic and that at the same time.

phatfela1
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I thought that the mega phone thing was amazing. not only the sound but how he used it, like both the mic and that at the same time.

I agree about the security. One of them was guarding an entrance and I showed him my ticket and he pointed up and i thought he meant to go past him and up and started walking that way and he went fuckin nuts and shoved me back and had a fit. I think it's cause they are used to Operas n shit so when a rock concert comes they think lowly of us.

I agree with the above quote. Rosetta Stoned was the highlight of the night for me. Hope Maynard reads this after the other negative stuff about his performance on that song. The special microphone made it sound exactly like the album, i think. I thought it was absolutely amazing how he perfectly went between the microphones with perfect timing, using them both at some times. He managed it perfectly. And I could enjoy his vocal precision, even though i was in the balcony. I was like "wow he actually can talk that fast and keep in time with the music."

Obviously they fuckin rocked the night, but there's only one thing I would like to know. Do they perform the same as they used to? I only started seeing them this tour, but after downloading live songs I got the impression that they were the type of band that sounded just like the album, with equal intensity and precision. I boasted about them with this inference.

But on this tour they are not. I saw them at Caochella and at Boston and the vocal performance was basically the same. It's not like the album. I'm not saying it's bad, but he definitely does not engage his angry voice, is gentle with high notes in the song, and generally makes sure to keep a slight distance from the mic. I certainly couldn't imagine him performing anything like Pushit [live]. He definitely sings that song, but you can't say it's near the intensity that it is done on the album.

Most bands with screaming vocals are just like this, except for maybe Mudvayne and some others, because obviously they are only human and can't do that every show because they will damage their vocals, but was Tool always like this?

The point I'm bringing up is that I can't imagine any of the songs we heard tonight being put on an album as a live version like those that were put on Salival. Is Maynard done with performing like that, given his age or perhaps his wisdom of the potential damage of vocals chords, did he ever perform like that ALL the time, or is it just a freak occurrence when he decides to go all out?

He's also a shy dude and sometimes won't even show his face during the concert. I saw him in APC and he stayed in the darkness. I think it might have something to do with him not wanting to be the center of attention, and leave that for the rest of the band. Because we all know if he went 100% we would all be in complete awe of huim, 50X more than we already are!

So for those who have seen Tool before this tour, lemme know what you think.

AquaTarkus
05-22-2006, 07:32 PM

Dude, as soon as I heard that, I was ecstatic. Never heard Prison Sex live. I think they were doing that all night long - disguising the beginnings of songs. Of course being in the 2nd to last row of the infernal balcony, I couldn't hear anything he said before songs.

Still, only 2 complaints: The vocals have been too low at every show (you'd think the crew would check out the posts), and it was one song too short. 4 years and we didn't even get 2 hours. I was waitin' for Prison Sex (that's not what I mint).

Otherwise, KILLER show! Even the Gestapo couldn't dampen the energy. I had a great top-down view of Danny and he seemed much more effortless than I remember, He hasn't lost a step, but her just did it with fuckin' ease. Outstanding.
The highlight for me was probably Lateralus - the energy got so high that at the end of the song, the band fell down :)

Great crowd, too. Fans lookin out for other fans when 5-0 walks by. Some good screamers in the very last row! TOO fuckin' hot! I only sat down for a minute during Lost Keys - just to check back in with reality.

fuckin' A

toritones
05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
I wasn't going to write a review cause you've heard it all, its just for me to have a better memory of it in a few years. Pardon the length, I'm no good at "the whole brevity thing."

Champagne was in order as it was a special occasion to say the least. Tuesday is usually a special enough occasion for champagne for me, but this certainly tops any other day! (well, that and the new album day). What a special day it was…We enjoyed dinner and drinks at Legal so much I almost forgot why we were in town…FYI- everyone must take out a loan and get the wild salmon there….OOOH! And we got our obligatory Litter-ature as expected from our ever faithful Jesus “vendor”.
I don’t know what I did right to be able to get tix, but I even took up praying again before the curtain came up to give a “big-up to whom it may concern”. Or were we just so happy to hear Meshuggah before the show to amp us up? Couldn’t have asked for better pre-show music, just wish they had been there too! Wait, Peaches would have been fine also…heheh…you love it.

From the moment we sat down and realized what was about to happen to even now, it still seems so surreal. About a month ago I didn’t think I’d be here til November or something if that. What a nice treat to see them so close. It was also a little bizarre, as I personally am accustomed to accepting that I can’t see them too well and find it easier to enjoy the music and visuals. I kept reminding myself to open my eyes since I could actually watch them play this time. Wish I could have had a view of Justin though…

I read past reviews, various feelings on setlist, sound and visuals. As soon as they came on it all made sense some how, this may have been the last US show for a few, but it was still only a warm up and hopefully ‘teaser tour’ if you will. I’d like to think everyone has more faith in these guys than to assume they won’t keep pushing live boundaries with each tour, but I understand the nervousness. Just like every time they release an album people are worried it’s their last, for no particular reason. We just depend so much on this experience that only a live Tool show gives.

Although I do agree with M-nuts vox being muffled, maybe it was intentional given the circumstances mentioned. Also maybe he is less animated in part due to being so close to people this time. ie. nowhere to hide. I have no problem barely seeing him, gyrating or not, if it means he can give the best vocal performance. Although I did like some of the lassoing moves. Did anyone else think of the Wynona had a big brown beaver video? Ride the spiral indeed.

There were times when I was straining to hear him, especially over everyone joyously (yes, I meant joyously) singing along. Once the sound got better after RI2 the crowd wasn’t an issue. I absolutely loved seeing everyone’s arms instinctively go up to the sky on “prayin for rain”, myself included. I felt the love man. And Jeff’s right, that’s the ultimate point to that one, and in a room full of die-hards it didn’t go unnoticed.

I couldn’t have asked for a better setlist. I was just beggin for RI2 but to get the Pot with it, shit, I musta don’t something right. Chills man, chills all over. I haven’t rocked that hard in so long!!!! “And man are my lumbars tired.” Rosetta stoned is so great, so glad in ___ years from now I’ll be “The” old lady saying I saw it when. Lateralus had to have sounded the best; I’ve never heard that place so loud! As it should have been. It was funny while having a sit down break and at our loudest they were holding their hands to their ears like “What? That’s all you got? I can’t hear you!” I believe that’s why they decided to do the pot, honestly. You get what you put in sometimes.
So it was a worthy number 11 for sure. But there’s never enough…. We’re so lucky! Hi to Scott and co., I hope you loved it.

MarcDrums
05-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Best show & crowd I've ever experienced in the Boston area! Thank you Tool and everyone else!!!
this one guy in my section (balcony right) started like 19 slow claps.. and tried to get the wave going.. it was so funny

blecoupe89
05-23-2006, 06:50 AM
The show was absolutely amazing! This by far was the best set list of the whole tour.

I was lucky enough to have 5th row dead center tickets. I was the guy who was jamming with the cast on:) Sound was great. Only complaint was the low volume of the lyrics. I couldn't hear a thing Maynard was saying in between songs.

I was psyched they played The Pot, I wanted to see that song played live so bad. Adam and Justin played great and Maynard was spot on. Danny is the best drummer I have ever heard my entire life. (and I've played drums for 16 yrs)

I cannot wait for the next time they come around. I will never get the same seats I had for this show again so I know this experience will last me for the rest of my life:)

RiseToYourHalo
05-23-2006, 07:06 AM
What an experience. My first Tool concert, longtime fan. Took a seat in the sixth row, center aisle, and soaked up the atmosphere and anticipation and meditated to Meshuggah. When Tool took the stage, everything but the music and the vibe just melted away. All of them are all masters of their respective vibrational tools and it was an incredible opportunity to experience and unconditionally accept what they were sharing and offering in the moment, in that intimate venue. It was amazing. My feet still aren’t touching the ground.

As we were walking to the theater before the show, a rainbow appeared in the sky. At the end of the show, when the crowd was going crazy, I had the opportunity to walk up the aisle and hold up a thank you sign, front and center, with no probs from security. Walking back to the car, a meteor shot across the sky. Finally, my lucky day.

CobraCmdr
05-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Would loved to have a camera – get the “May 21: Tool” billboard with a rainbow above it.

I actually thought the same thing. If someone got a photo of the outside of the Orphium I would very much appreciate a copy. shoot me a pm.

jgrundy
05-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Asking anyone who waited in line for the concert, it was the most surreal thing. As if the band had something to do with it. One thing I don't know if anyone caught, but the neon sign for the orpheum theater had a faulty light. That light produced the most incredibly coincidental sound. On Aenima, the track after the title song aenima, ions. LA has allready plunged into the ocean and there is this very distinct jacobs ladder sound that repeats itself throughout the track. That very sound was coming from this neon sign. Too surreal. Anyone else catch that? Then when the concert was over, not a drop of water on the ground.

As for the concert itself, there aren't enough words, but yet I am speechless. It was much more personnal than previous shows I've seen. Danny was masterful, but it was nice to see he was still human after dropping a stick in Schism. Justin, I must say, made the concert for me during Aenima. The emotion he put into his playing was incredible. I think we can all say the excitement of hearing Adam's first guitar riff in The Pot was overwhelming. And what more can I say about Maynard, especially in Rosetta Stoned, holy shit.

I love how they changed the breakdown in Schism and Stinfist. Danny's solo in 46 & 2 was again amazing to watch. When he plays it seems so effortless.

Did anyone catch the contrast of Maynards cowboy hat and his mohawk...... Cowboy's and Indians?????

jgrundy
05-23-2006, 07:55 AM
Asking anyone who waited in line for the concert, it was the most surreal thing. As if the band had something to do with it. One thing I don't know if anyone caught, but the neon sign for the orpheum theater had a faulty light. That light produced the most incredibly coincidental sound. On Aenima, the track after the title song aenima, ions. LA has allready plunged into the ocean and there is this very distinct jacobs ladder sound that repeats itself throughout the track. That very sound was coming from this neon sign. Too surreal. Anyone else catch that? Then when the concert was over, not a drop of water on the ground.

As for the concert itself, there aren't enough words, but yet I am speechless. It was much more personnal than previous shows I've seen. Danny was masterful, but it was nice to see he was still human after dropping a stick in Schism. Justin, I must say, made the concert for me during Aenima. The emotion he put into his playing was incredible. I think we can all say the excitement of hearing Adam's first guitar riff in The Pot was overwhelming. And what more can I say about Maynard, especially in Rosetta Stoned, holy shit.

I love how they changed the breakdown in Schism and Stinfist. Danny's solo in 46 & 2 was again amazing to watch. When he plays it seems so effortless.

Did anyone catch the contrast of Maynards cowboy hat and his mohawk...... Cowboy's and Indians?????

jhnygsh
05-23-2006, 08:18 AM
they are correct, he did the same thing at coachella to see who knew the words because that was the first live performance, he knew anybody singing had obviously downloaded the album before the release

actually, he paused to allow justin to sync up for the second line, a problem tthey have had in the past with the song. there were no missed lines and maynard doesnt care if we know the words.

chunga
05-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Boston Globe Review:
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2006/05/23/tool_gets_and_gives_a_hand/

Couple of other things about the long wait in line. Danny refused to sign a setlist because the guy didn't have a purple pen. Also, Adam came in with some new luggage which was probably why he was at Macys.

TooL_TiM413
05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
My first tool show ever..and I had to take two days to cope with what I just saw.

Was an amazing day with the bro.

Ok, we take off around 12 afternoon..make our way to the T but pass exit 13 cause were out of it. So we end up going to the T like an hour and a half away to find out that the T there was closed! I WAS MAD! Ok, we so try to goto another T.. we find one in Walpole, but it was just an empty parking lot w/ no where to board the damn T? WTF? So we goto another T, it's running, but we check the schedule and the last one leaves around 11 so we didn't want to chance it. And we head off to boston cause were pretty close by now. Took us 3 1/2 hours to get to fuckin boston, jesus right? Ok so we park in the china garage and my brother ends up locking the damn keys in the car. We call triple A, sit on the roof of the car and lite of a jibba. Was pretty nice. All this time talking to Kurt(someone I met at the Tool show). We get the keys out, and head to the Orpheum. It is still like a good 2 1/2 hours before the show so we go into the commons n smoke another jibba. Sketchy as hell let me tell you. We meet up with Kurt and his friend and go back into the commons and almost get busted by the cops cause I see some bum ass guy on his phone looking at us and that signals me to get the hell out, so we just move spots. And let me tell you me and my brother look up in the sky and we see this one big ass dark cloud and were like uh oh lets get the fuck out of here as the cop was coming so we booked it to the Orpheum. THe fucking gods opened the sky on us, hailing, lightning, rain you named it. I was drenched. Finally got into the show, bought me and my brother a shirt and a poster for myself --- Let me tell you that poster is fucking sweet (anyone know any place to get it laminated cheap around western mass??) it was gonna cost me $94 to get it laminated at some paper company, mad expensive. Well long story short the show was fucking amazing, i was so pumped and just jammin out to every damn song. I loved it..OH AND SORRY TO THE GIRL I HIT IN THE HEAD IN FRONT OF ME WHILE TAKING MY SHIRT OFF..IT WAS HOT!

timbob

i was the little white kid walking around with the long sleeve billabong shirt on w/ the tool shirt over it and a hemp necklace. i probably looked fucked up, but im mad hot so the girls wanted me. thankyou

stephenbpronovos
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
This show was amazing, my first Tool show and definitly not the last. They played all the songs i wanted to hear, and people should stop complaining. This was only was warmup tour. This was the greatest night of my life. The only thing that ruined was the guy directly behind me yelling for prison sex. Amazing Show

xirdneh
05-23-2006, 04:39 PM
;)

Well very interesting indeed but cut the suspense and finally tell us how the socks held out!

...snip... The only thing that ruined was the guy directly behind me yelling for prison sex.
that would sound so awkward to anyone unfamiliar with tool :D

anyway... my first post here.
i'll be getting devirginized next week sunday at pinkpop in holland since i'll be seeing and hearing TOOL finally for the first time in this particular space-time continuum and after reading almost every single post here in the forums about this tour i can only say i sincerely hope i won't be let down cuz the general verdict here seems to be that this is going to be the most amazing show ever so i'm really so hyped about all this i think.. i think my heads gonna explode or something as soon as the first note strikes down on my eardrums..
damn.. this band is so out of this world... i think i'm going nuts...
does the ticket include mental help for those who can't handle the show being over?

Midas6918
05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
This was my first Tool concert, NOT THE LAST EITHER. We drove down 95 in pouring rain until route 1. We hit traffic right away. We were in traffic for like 45 mins to an hour. There was an accident so once we passed it it was smooth sailing right into Boston. Once we got to Boston the rain stopped and the sun came out. Traffic in Boston wasn't that bad either.

So we got to the parking below the Commons at 6pm. Chilled "getting ready" for the concert. Around 7:15 it was off to the Orpheum. We walk out of the garage into a thunder storm toward the theater. I was surprised to see people were lined up in the alley, then wrapped around the corner. The line moved fast, but not enough for the rain. I got soaked. As we were approaching the door the sun came out again, it was soo cool.

So we get in and it was PACKED, we head to the poster and T-shirts and bought 1 of each. Piss break, then off to our seats. Waited til 8:30, then the show started.

Stinkfist was great, It didn't sound bad at all. Maynard was kicking his foot in the air to the beat in the beginning which I thought was strange, but unique.

Maynard looked as he did at the other concerts, shirtless, Jeans with belt buckle, a cowboy hat and a Mohawk!

The set list was different than most of the other shows which I thought was cool. I think Stinkfist worked better as a starter.

Now I was hoping for Patient and The Pot, I know Maynard was probably over his cold that he had. But when they played Right in Two. I started to think oh well, This kicks ass anyway!

Maynard noted, by asking if we knew what the internet was and if we had it then we knew, that he'd been under the weather and had been unable to perform certain vocally punishing songs, Keenan said he was going to give it a try. ``If I fail," he warned, "it's because you have failed me. Blame yourself. I'll sleep tonight."

I KNEW IT WAS THE POT RIGHT AWAY, and sure enough, it was. It was one of the best moments of the concert!

Later toward the end Maynard mentioned the floods last week, "Floods, all these floods, hey, We warned you." Then went into Ænema!!!!!! This was the best moment of the concert!! Too bad it was the end too.

Danny, in my opinion did the best job, with Maynard on the bottom. It was great, just Maynard doesn't get into it as much as he should, but he's not that type of person, after all he was standin behind everyone in the shadow with lights on everyone but him. And he was the first to walk off stage while everyone else chilled for a min. He is still my favorite artist. (just not live)

It was a zoo leaving, but once we got driving it was smooth sailing to a friends house where we chilled the rest of the night.

I wish I could relive the night again, It was the best night of my life. I so needed that! (not the hangover though, lol)

toolfanatic
05-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Tool is an amazing band. I love everything they've done. The show was spot on and they're all very professional. However, from where i sat the acoustics ruined the show. Lyrics totally unintelligible, too bass heavy, the songs were nearly unrecognizable. The only bright spot was Danny. Don't ever see a show at the Orpheum, it totally was not worth the price of Admission.

Parallel
05-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Third tool show. Amazing to be in such a small venue... happy to finally hear Aenema, and 46&2. Paid $275 for row y seats... and wished I had paid the $700 for ee seats. mmm.

Last year, fortunately I got to be right against the barricade. It was one of the best nights of my life, seconded only to taking MDMA for the first time. Only paid $40 for that ticket, but reviewing everything in hindsight - I probably would have laid out $1000 to see that again...

Hopefully next tour, I can see them more than once. I know the videos, performance, and setlist will be even better which is hard to even think of right now. I enjoyed Rosetta Stoned for the first time, but Lost Keys blew me away into a trance. I fucking loved it.

d_goddard
05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Security sucked ass. Outside the staff were complete assholes, before and after the show

I'm usually the last one to stand up for anyone in authority, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Maybe you just got the bad apple in the bunch.

My pockets were totally full of crap, I should have thought of it earlier, but they guy who patted me down asked me to empty my pockets (which I expected as soon as I thought of it; I *did* have enough stuff in there to be hiding a small gun (which I wasn't)).

I pulled out the contents of my pocket and said what they were as I did so -- "keys", "change", "lighter", "map", "wallet", ... and then the last one, a small wooden box containing a one-hitter and my MJ... "cigarette box". I tried to keep a straight, disinterasted face. I am sure I looked guilty as hell :P

The guy said nothing, he knew EXACTLY what it was.
He simply nodded me on: "No weapons. You're fine."

He could easily have chosen to be a dick -- my keys have an army knife on 'em. He wasn't. He was looking for real weapons, found none, was professional about it, and even cut me some slack.

So, this post is my way of saying "thanks" and cutting him some slack, though I'm sure he'll never see it.

I felt, however, that Maynard in particular was lacking in passion and effort.

There I have to agree with you. I wish I didn't, and I know it's "heresy", but I had the same impression. If it was the start of the tour, I'd assume he was saving himself up. But for the last show in the country, I expect him to pull all the stops.

And hey folks -- don't put anyone down for fair criticism. Every person there paid crazy money and most of us got drenched in rain to see this performance. Every single person in that hall was a true, hard-core fan. Period.

stephenbpronovos
05-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Well very interesting indeed but cut the suspense and finally tell us how the socks held out!

that would sound so awkward to anyone unfamiliar with tool :D

I know what ya mean!

chunga
05-25-2006, 04:11 AM
Boston Phoenix review:

http://www.thephoenix.com/article_ektid13198.aspx

StinkFister
05-25-2006, 07:37 PM
"Couple of other things about the long wait in line. Danny refused to sign a setlist because the guy didn't have a purple pen. Also, Adam came in with some new luggage which was probably why he was at Macys."[/QUOTE]

I also met Danny, outside the verizon wireless center in manchester, NH, during the Lateralus tour and the same thing happened to me. I asked for an autograph and he said "yeah, if you have a purple pen." I thought he was joking so i handed him my ticket and a blue pen, he started signing and stopped, handed it back to me and said "its not purple, sorry." So I asked for a pictured with him and he said "Sorry, no pictures guys, thanks for coming out to the show though." We were pretty dissapointed, but snapped a few pics of him descretly while walking away.

200L
05-25-2006, 08:08 PM
"Couple of other things about the long wait in line. Danny refused to sign a setlist because the guy didn't have a purple pen. Also, Adam came in with some new luggage which was probably why he was at Macys."

I also met Danny, outside the verizon wireless center in manchester, NH, during the Lateralus tour and the same thing happened to me. I asked for an autograph and he said "yeah, if you have a purple pen." I thought he was joking so i handed him my ticket and a blue pen, he started signing and stopped, handed it back to me and said "its not purple, sorry." So I asked for a pictured with him and he said "Sorry, no pictures guys, thanks for coming out to the show though." We were pretty dissapointed, but snapped a few pics of him descretly while walking away.[/QUOTE]

Excuse my off topicness, but I have always found it funny to have people sign things or get pictures with them. Memories can still be good, you don't have to date them. This is part of the reason why they do this. If you just tried to converse with them without alterior motive, you'd be fine and they would at least give you some time of day. Signatures and pictures just make it a joke.

What is better?

"Ohh I got Danny Careys autograph"

or

"I got to talk to Danny Carey"

Don't make these guys feel any weirder than they must already. Picture posing and signing things are tedious ( I really don't believe they have to "respect" any kind of so called "responsibility" they have to you as a "fan")

Just be a person to a person.

How would you feel if you were walking ANYWHERE and have people ask you for picture or autograph for the better part of 15 years? You'd be fuckin' tired or it too.

-Just being friendly

Peace

A-Bomb
05-26-2006, 03:50 AM
Word. That's why I just walked walked past all the people getting their tickets signed, and said "I just wanted to shake the hand of the man."

peripheral
05-26-2006, 05:56 AM
i was able to procure the highly coveted red-ink signature of carrot top after his performance at a local VFW Hall. try and 'top' that one!

GeorgeinNY
05-26-2006, 08:21 AM
yeah sorry for going off topic too and not at the show either but another reason not to sign is right away people put it on ebay to sell. fuck that if I was in their shoes I wouldnt sign anything just for this reason.
BTW- I did happen to run into James Hetfield walking into a club in NYC (back in late 80s) and it was just so much better to exchange few words with him then to hassle him for an autograph.

lauralynn
05-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Sadly, I have to agree with some of you. I saw this show, Toronto, Detroit, and Phoenix and Maynard just didn't seem to be as into it as he was at past live shows I have seen. They must have known that only die hard fans got tickets and/or paid a ton of money from scalpers to see them at such small venues (paid $400 for my 10th row ticket), that I thought he would have given a little more. meaning, I saw no passion from Maynard, as I have seen in the past (I've seen them live about 20 times). I know this will piss some of you off, and don't get me wrong, they are the most talented musicians we've seen in a long long time, and I am grateful for their music, but was just a little dissappointed thats all, and we need to embrace that we are fortunate enough to be able to speak freely, even if we don't agree with each other.

dvn
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
To all you whiners about Maynard's stage movement and presence at Boston and the rest of the shows they did on this minitour, I have one simple observation:

He was wearing fucking cowboy boots. If you have never tried to wear a pair of these, you should try. You will find your movement very limited, definitely not something you can do anything more than awkwardly line dance to country music in. Ever see anyone run in boots? It's comical. If Maynard had moved any more than he did, we'd have seen him take a tumble off that riser.

-dvn

P.S. Don't even attempt to try and tell me that he wasn't wearing them, I was at
9 of the 16 shows and he was wearing them at all shows.

lauralynn
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
It wasn't the lack of movement. It was the lack of passion in his whole presence. This time around he seemed as though it was just a job, I can't really explain it. Others that have seen them live many times might know what I'm talking about. He usually ends with something to the effect of -always a pleasure, never a chore- and in past shows seemed more involved in the music, very intense, in deep, if you know what I mean. Just didn't see that or feel that this time around. And I've never seen encores! I always thought it was really cool how they didn't feel the need to make the audience beg for more, they knew they put on a damn good show, and when they were done, they were done. (although I'll beg for maynard anytime, anyday, anywhere) but the whole attitude seemed different, and it just threw me off, kind of bummed me out, that's all. But, I LOVE THIS BAND and think they are all incredibly talented and gifted, and couldn't thank them enough for sharing their talent for us to enjoy!

stephenbpronovos
05-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Everybody stop bitching about Maynard, He did absolutly fineShow was great, Maynard is amazing.

dvn
05-26-2006, 03:22 PM
And I've never seen encores! I always thought it was really cool how they didn't feel the need to make the audience beg for more, they knew they put on a damn good show, and when they were done, they were done.

It was not really an encore, they didn't even leave the stage, this was in fact a break. The time that they take this break after Lateralus on this tour is at approximately the same time on the 01-02 tour took its break after Third Eye. Tool then came back to play thier 2nd set of the night. Its just unfortunate we get a 2 song 15 min set vs a 4-5 song 40 min set on the previous tour.

Tool HAVE done encores though, most notably in peoples hands is Kalamazoo 7.19.98, in which after the show was supposedly over after Aenema, Tool came back on stage after a full 4 minute break and roars to its real end, Jerkoff (extended version too!)...

-dvn

Steven James Tool
05-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I was in the lower box on the left side. 5 rows back from the stage, because like all true hardcore Toolers, I knew to order my tickets the moment they went on sale. I had a couple speakers partially blocking my view, which meant I had to lean to my right sometimes to see MJK, but who cares, it was row five, man! And the show? Just plain fuckin kicked massive amounts of ass. Hell, what else can I say? E'ryone else here's already said how badass it was. I got no reason to be rehashing it.

anfisechka
05-27-2006, 11:22 AM
To all you whiners about Maynard's stage movement and presence at Boston and the rest of the shows they did on this minitour, I have one simple observation:

He was wearing fucking cowboy boots. If you have never tried to wear a pair of these, you should try. You will find your movement very limited, definitely not something you can do anything more than awkwardly line dance to country music in.

...emm.. Plenty of women perform in fucking STILETTOS all the time, and they manage. If something that trivial impedes his performance maybe he should choose some different fucking footwear for chrissakes.

Not to mention he's performed in crazy platform heels before, and he managed then...