Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

jef_hop
05-13-2006, 08:37 PM
2006/05/04 - Chicago, IL- Auditorium Theatre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETLIST --

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Balcony 1, Row E, Seats 203, 204
$175 per ticket (I bought two)
$10 for two beers
$25 parking

Amazing show ... no Patient or Pot, but Right in Two!

oh, and Maynard said he was sick like every time he is Chicago.

theprosperone
05-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Absolutely fucking amazing show.

I can't type much but wow...

Double time jam out in the middle of schism.

Extended version of Stinkfist

Right in Two!!!! Ohhhhh soooo amazing.

Maynard said he had a cold, he didn't push himself too hard but it was perfect, everything was perfect.

ntruromass
05-13-2006, 08:50 PM
So he was sick. The show was great! Best I have seen yet

soberaenema
Good show, but rather depressing that we lost out on the Pot and the Patient. Seen better shows in the past. A few people around me were rather disappointed, but the first timers were very impressed. I did like the screens for the visuals, but the 2002 tour was way better done in background effects. I imagine the fall tour of the States will have a much more elaborate set up.

The show was a lot brighter in the house than a normal show, more like a mainstream concert than a traditional dark tool show. The sound was good, but overly bass heavy due to the acoustics in the place, so it drowned out Maynard's vocals a bit on his low parts. I have to admit, like others have said on other shows, the rosetta stoned is a good opener, and I did like the extended sober.

jonny04srt4
anyways, yes amazing show. maynard said he gets sick every time he comes to chicago. the jam outs in schism and stinkfist were awesome too. overall, it was my first live tool experience, and i will be going again when they come around.

theprosperone
05-13-2006, 08:54 PM
I've seen the patient live and I've heard the pot live too.

Right in two was easily worth not hearing both of those songs, especially with the schism jam and the extended stinkfist.

Seriously, I paid $400 for two tickets and would willingly pay more to get what we got tonight.

If you weren't at the show don't comment because you don't know how fucking great they sounded. They played about the same amount of time as the other setlists and they'll play that much time each and every show till the big tour, deal with it or don't go.

chalk_line
05-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Tickets to the show: $212 on ebay
Alex Grey poster: $25
To see Tool play Right in Two: Priceless

The best live show i have ever seen.
The acoustics in the auditorium theatre were absolutely phenomenal.

theprosperone
05-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I'd like to add that every fan around us and within sight was very respectful and was simply there enjoying the show. I was amazed and it was great that everyone was so friendly and seemed to not want to bother others while rockin' out.

ntruromass
05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I personaly thought the show was great. Everyone is under the weather sometime. Give him a break. I am not pissed at you. I just see you have not compation for people that are ill. Sounds like everything is me me me!!! How old are you twelve?

bndalex
05-13-2006, 09:27 PM
my tool experience. would've loved to hear the patient and the pot. but really wanted a new setlist - and got to be with eveyone to hear Right in two first. It was a great show. Loved the extended versions of Schism. I would've paid that much to hear them play one song as good they sounded. the video installation was kick ass - matched up really nice. does anyone thing that some of those images used in the 10,000 days material will be in a future vid? Some of that looked good enough for a Tool video - other than the stuff that kinda looked like the visualizers on the media players. Can't wait till the fall - really want to hear Wings (part 1) & 10,000 days (wings part 2)

angrygodofjebus
05-13-2006, 09:30 PM
People in the 2nd balcony were awesome. I was in the third row and no one in front of me stood up at all during the show, so we all got to sit and enjoy everything.

I have also never seen as much air drumming by fans as I did tonight.

bozobuttz
05-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Well this is my first post here but I've been a fan for a while. Also, I've written reviews of the 2 shows I saw in 2001 on Toolshed. This was my third show, and though it was not the best in my mind, it was still excellent! It was more than enough to satisfy me after almost 5 long years since my last show. The show started late, about 8:30-8:40-ish but the crowd was patient for the most part, and was over by 10:10. During Jambi, it sounded like Adam was having a little trouble with getting the talkbox just right, but it was still sweet to hear it live. Right in Two played live was definitely my favorite off the new album. I'll post more tomorrow, time for bed now, I think I'll sleep in my new Tool shirt... 8-)

BTW, I was the one outside with the "I NEED 1 TOOL TICKET ~Please!!!~" homemade sign if anyone saw me, and thank God I did not end up buying a ticket from those cocksucking scalpers.

mosquito
05-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Good show overall, but I'm glad I didn't pay over face value. Setlist could have been better, and visuals mostly looked like winamp stuff. I'm sure this is just because it was a warmup and all. I always find it funny when the Stinkfist bit fools everyone.

mosquito
05-13-2006, 09:35 PM
People in the 2nd balcony were awesome. I was in the third row and no one in front of me stood up at all during the show, so we all got to sit and enjoy everything.

Lucky Bastard... I wish I could have sat.

theprosperone
05-13-2006, 10:06 PM
my tool experience. would've loved to hear the patient and the pot. but really wanted a new setlist - and got to be with eveyone to hear Right in two first. It was a great show. Loved the extended versions of Schism. I would've paid that much to hear them play one song as good they sounded. the video installation was kick ass - matched up really nice. does anyone thing that some of those images used in the 10,000 days material will be in a future vid? Some of that looked good enough for a Tool video - other than the stuff that kinda looked like the visualizers on the media players. Can't wait till the fall - really want to hear Wings (part 1) & 10,000 days (wings part 2)

I thought the visuals were quite stunning. I enjoyed that most of it was rather abstract, I'm sure some of it will make its way into the videos. :)

Rustifarian00
05-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Long time listener, First time caller. Love you, loved the show.

The best experience I have had in a long time. My previous best was the KICK ASS show they played in Bloomington a couple years back. Got good seats via Ticketmaster on the 22nd. The guy infront of me was plenty short. Rossetta was a really good opener you could tell who actually listened to Tool just watching peoples reactions during that song. Stinkfist was semi extended and done really well. Forty Six & 2 was really intense live Maynards vocals really shown bright in this song. My friend mentioned Adam had a little problem on Jambi with the thing that makes Peter Framptons guitar go "wah...wahwah wah wah wha." Schism had an interesting live intro that I didn't know what song it was gonna be. During the song in the during a fast REALLY fucking loud part the fuzz on the bass and guitar was overwhelming, not in a good way. The begining of Right In Two sorta sounded like Wings, which I really wanted to hear live, so I got super excited. Then I noticed it was Right In Two, which is my favorite song from the album, and thought it was played great live. The Sober intro was kicking along with the energy of 80% of the crowd singing made it a very special experience. Lateralus took down the house, if anyone was sitting down during this they need to get thier head examined. I am gonna continue my spiral riding and I hope the end is far way, because I enjoy keeping on going. Vicarious is great live high energy and still the same great lyrics. Aenima was a great ending song, maybe my favorite song of the night.

My tickets were in the 1st Balcony row I seat 501, shoot me a message if you were near.

Ticket=$66.66
Shirts=3x$35 (one is a birthday gift; the 15th i think, no 18th, 20th?)
Poster=$25 (might I add it is gonna look great right above my bed)
Walking back having some random guy smoke me and my friend up=PRICELESS

Rustifarian

El Scorcho
05-13-2006, 10:32 PM
My first Tool show and it was one of the greatest concerts I've ever been to. It was perfect besides it being a bit too short. It needed another song or two. I was 4th row in balcony 1 and the view was so sweet. Amazing venue to see them, but I will definitely catch them later again this year for a better (longer) setlist. The "new" part of Schism was so great. 46 & 2 was never one of my favorite songs, but it brought the house down. Right in Two is better live than on the album, a nice way to slow things down. The visuals really enhanced the experience, and I loved the bands' set up (new to me). It's incredible how none of the members are showcased, and that it's about the band and the music as a whole. Thanks Tool. You really are the consummate musicians and the rest of the industry has a lot to learn from you.

theprosperone
05-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Go into your Winamp or Windows media player visualizations and load them up. If you enjoyed the Tool viz stuff, you'll have a party with those.

I think people that enjoyed it most were those who were first seeing Tool.

Yea I have lots of visual programs on my computer, nothing compared to what they played. I thought the video during jambi was particularly well done.

peripheral
05-13-2006, 10:40 PM
wtf?? right in two is my favorite track on 10kd. anyways, the extended stinkfist and schism were top notch (no previous set lists mentioned the extended versions; were we the only ones to hear them so far??). also, there was a very cool intro before vicarious. agreed, the bass was muffled during some songs, but was fine during others. couldn't tell maynard was sick even though he announced that he was. the visuals were fine...nothing special, except they showed a mini-preview of the vicarious video...album cover (net of being) morphing and melting. justin is f'n amazing. watched him and danny during most of the show. crowd was VERY cool.. i didn't see any moshing. no loud yelling during quiet parts (i.e. right in two). worth the price of admission (+ $100) to see them in such a personal setting. every show from now on should ONLY be in a theatre with assigned seats so people do not have the opportunity to slam dance, mosh, or generally be assholes.
spirochite out!!

edit: cool crowd...only heard one dude yelling song titles, and he only yelled 'play jerk off' a few times. very suprising. regardless of the band or the venue, usually people yell song titles. upon further reflection, i am even more impressed with my fellow chi-town fans.

mip10110100
05-13-2006, 10:57 PM
...anyways, the extended stinkfist and schism were top notch (no previous set lists mentioned the extended versions; were we the only ones to hear them so far??)....
spirochite out!!
The exttended version of stinkfist is what they normally play. But they had just worked the new part of schism out at sound check. So we were the first to hear that.

One Dark Flame
05-13-2006, 11:02 PM
All I can say right now is Holy fucking shit!! Great show I'm very proud to have been one of the people to hear "Right In Two" live for the first time ever and will post a more indepth review tomorrow. And the guy that had the homemade sign I saw you and am very glad you got in.

Cycloz
05-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Security was lame... they tried kicking me out because they said I was smoking (was actually the girl next to me) I said F that.

Besides that, was a great show. Personally would have preferred to hear The Pot but hey, it was kind of a pleasant surprise when they kicked into Right in Two. Always wanted to see them in a small venue like that and it didn't disappoint.

dctool27
05-13-2006, 11:27 PM
I was first row balcony, seat 305, and i thought the acoustics were absolutely flawless. I can't believe these people are happy to sit during a Tool show, I was on my feet the whole time. I've been to other Tool shows, including Coachella this year, and this one was my favorite. My view was great, and I couldn't ask for better sound. And just because this one didn't have contortionists or any new video footage from Adam, the show was still an awesome visual display. Does anyone else think they cut out The Pot because of his soar throat? Just a thought.

theprosperone
05-13-2006, 11:44 PM
I figured they probably cut it because of his throat, but to throw in right in two was more than enough to make up for it for me. I'm sure they were just trying to give us only top notch versions of the new songs and figured they would sound better playing Right in two instead. The drum solo in the breakoff part, right after the heavy riff in right in two was amazing.

I was in 1st balcony, seats 403-404, anyone around there? Great view, I love that theater.

One Dark Flame
05-13-2006, 11:54 PM
I figured they probably cut it because of his throat, but to throw in right in two was more than enough to make up for it for me. I'm sure they were just trying to give us only top notch versions of the new songs and figured they would sound better playing Right in two instead. The drum solo in the breakoff part, right after the heavy riff in right in two was amazing.

I was in 1st balcony, seats 403-404, anyone around there? Great view, I love that theater.
I was in section hh seat 301 anyone around there??

jonny04srt4
05-14-2006, 12:07 AM
i didnt know that justin did all those crazy effects. did anyone else notice when he would put his bass up to his stack and use the feedback?? i forgot which song it was in tho...
the only disappointment i have is that i have to wait to see them again!

amosisgod
05-14-2006, 12:24 AM
I missed the first 4 songs because on the way to the show, from Indiana, my fucking car caught on fire. I'll re-type for those of you speed reading. My car, while I was driving, started on fire. Such bullshit. I really wanted to hear Rosetta and Jambi to. I was lucky to get there at all I guess. Right In Two was right what I needed when I did finally get there. I liked that the lights were up a little bit for a Tool show. The more light there is, the better I can watch Danny. I'm a drummer myself, and I'll never understand how somebody can hit something as hard as Danny hits his drums. Can't wait till they come around in the fall. Probably have to see a couple of shows to make up for missing half of this one. Time for bed so I can forget all about this rotten day, aside from the fact that I got to spend 45 minutes in the same breathing space as Tool. (P.S. Don't drive Saturns. They fucking suck. Always breaking down, and oh yeah....may, for no apparent reason, burst into flame as you drive it)

goodnight

AshleyDyan
05-14-2006, 12:30 AM
It's so different to see them in a small venue rather than a gigantic arena.. Much more intimate, much more simple... It was a great show- I loved the drum/bass bit they did- I could feel the vibrations from it through my hair! MJK didn't talk too much- mainly to say he was sick- but just enough to make sure we knew he knew we were there (if that makes sense)

It was incredible to hear Right in Two- the crowd seemed really surprised and definitely got into it.

I had an incredible seat. I was in the orchestra section Row D- way off to the right-hand side. Except for being a bit short and not being able to see over the people in front of me (which was mended by a couple of switches- everyone was so friendly to me! Taller people let me switch with them so I could see.. it was very nice!) the show was amazing. Yes, I've seen better, but I'm still so stoked that I was able to see them in a small venue.

I love people-watching at Tool shows. Fans range from average 20-somethings in jeans and simple tee-shirts to fully-decked-out goths to hippies to grandparents- and then some. From the entrance and again from my seat, I took a moment to look around at the diversity of the people in attendance and was so pleased to see everyone, despite their apparent differences, rock out once the show started. So many different styles, ages and backgrounds meshed together for one purpose- I was very pleased. In this respect (many respects, of course, but this one in particular) Tool concerts are so much different-and better- than, say, Korn shows. In looking around, you don't see a bunch of clones walking about- people wear colour!

honestbleeps
05-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Well, I've seen Tool 5 times now and this one was good, but could have been better. Not much fault of the band, though.

The only seats I was able to get were obstructed view. Very last row of the first balcony (which you'd think isn't that high up, but it was FIVE FREAKING FLOORS UP). We were so far back the band looked tiny as it was... then we had a pillar in the middle of our view... and because we were tucked so far back under the second balcony, the acoustics were completely terrible. The vocals were unintelligible much of the time, even when Maynard was talking between songs.

On the plus side, we got to hear Right in Two.

On the minus side, missing out on The Patient and The Pot was really disappointing. Our set was definitely shorter than the going rate of 1:45 I've been reading about. More like 1:30 or so.

On the REALLY minus side, I had a burger with my friend before the show and it ended up not settling well with me at all to the point of feeling sick to my stomach.. so I missed Stinkfist entirely to be in the bathroom.. that sucked verily.

Lateralus was absolutely phenomenal, and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it here. For me, it was one of the highlights of the night, if not the highlight.

I did have fun, but the seating situation was far less than ideal, so I'm walking away from this one a little bittersweet.

aschaefer04
05-14-2006, 03:17 AM

everyone in orchestra around me was on their feet 24/7...insanity down there (too bad i wasn't close enough to grab a stick...)

fantastic concert, very impressed (it was my first time). if you people say that this is disappointing...well...i can't fucking wait until they come around again.

emf
05-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Amazing show, was midway up 1st bal. row o on adam's side, missed the patient but loved right in 2. I was the dude wearing a fedora.

Asclepius
05-14-2006, 04:20 AM
Dirty stup got me onto the orch and low and behold lady in front of me caught a skin. GREAT catch maam. Had the purple star and a sig so was way cool. Lat. is a moneymaker for them, an instant crowdpleaser...and thus why they work it.

toolfreak103
05-14-2006, 05:08 AM
sounds like chicago jammed pretty good, its nice to read positive feedback, i was in minneapolis show on friday, it was amazing, i woke up to read the review to our show to only read a bunch of fricking whiners, bitch, bitch, bitch, lateralus and vicarious were fricking amazing. sounds like the same in chitown.

reflectioneternal77
05-14-2006, 05:21 AM
This had to have been about my eigth time seeing tool, including Coachella a few weeks ago. My girl dances for a dance company that calls the Auditorium Theater home, so I was uncomparably HOOKED UP for this show. For starters, -5 days before the show I bought a ticket in row T of the Balcony for $150 (thanks Larry) as I failed to get a ticket from ticketmaster. Then at -3 days my girl and I decided to talk to our friends on the staff of the auditorium who we talk to all the time after her shows. Well, without getting too specific, I was able to buy 2 tickets at face value in row D, not twenty feet from Justin.

I was smashed against the stage and drenched in other peoples sweat in the same spot at Coachella, so it was nice to be comfortable this time. As far as venue experiences goes, this was hands down the best facility I've seen any show at (and my 29 year old ass has seen a LOT of shows). This includes the behavior of the crowd, the cleanliness of the venue, and the overall attitude of the staff. Another employed friend at the theater also let us enter on the side door to avoid the long lines of the main entrance. Yet another great hook up.

The band sounded great, though not as good as Coachella in my opinion. Hard to compare indoors and outdoors though. Maynard was definintely sick as he stated numerous times, but still sang surprisingly well. You could hear at some harder spots (Vicarious screaming "so it's always been" and the outro) he struggled and did not push his voice but then through 99% of the show you absolutely could not tell. The band sounded super clean at both shows. The best part of the show was "Right In Two" being played live for the first time. I'm very happy they made the switch as I already heard "The Pot" at Coachella, and "The Patient" many other times. The double time bridge in Schism was a tasty little treat. Earlier that day at 2:30 we went backstage where my girl's dressing rooms are and this is when we "introduced" ourselves to the Tool security backstage. According to my friends at the auditorium, when we visited backstage at sound check around 4:00, the band let NOBODY in the theater, not even the auditorium staff. But I was able to sneak a peak from the stage right entrance on to the stage right before sound check. So despite tool security and auditorium security we had already got great access.
Anyways, the rest of the show was great as usual with this band. The visuals were somewhat repeated but keep something in mind. This band does almost EVERTHING themselves. If you want to see some fake elaborate theatrics put on by some hired generic prop company then go see Madonna or Shakira this summer.

Well the show ended on a high note with Maynard suggesting that Montana? or Chicago? was a good safe place to live before breaking into Aenema, where L. Ron Hubbard was switched out for Rupert Murdock just like at Coachella.He mostly thanked the crowd for the success of the album and apologized for his sore throat. The band exits with their usual goodbyes, and I see Maynard grab his black hooded sweatshirt and they leave stage right. After the show, my girl and I decided to pay one last visit to our auditorium friends backstage. We walked right past about ten fans that could not get past tool security, we dropped our friends name and he let us go right in. I was shocked. Here I am standing backstage at tool with no pass, shooting the shit with auditorium security. Unbelievable. Since I am right by the exit door, nothing exciting happens for the first fifteen minutes. Random nobodies walking by. Then I look down the hall towards stage right, and there is Adam standing there with a beer talking to his friends. "Unbelievable", I said to myself. He ended up standing there for like ten minutes just chatting about the show. My friend then hands me a guest sticker and the photos of the band that the auditoruim theater uses to ID the band. Then, I see someone emerge in a black hooded sweatshirt with two bottles of wine under his arms. He was being escorted out quietly and quickly. The small figure under the hood walks right by me, looks me in the eye, nods, and walks out the door into the alley. I clearly identified that shaved headed man in the black sweatshirt as Maynard James Keenan. I quietly collected myself, we said our goodbyes, and I walked away completely blown away, saying "this is surreal, please believe me, please believe what I just said"

ntruromass
05-14-2006, 05:33 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention last night, anyone checkout how they lit up both sides of the theater walls close to the end of the show of display the great geometry on the walls (I thought that was a cool touch)? Great show. I was in orchestra row P seat 30# (Thanks to the greed of Gold Coast Tickets and $380). Perfect center. They really need to work on the way tickets are sold. :(

They also are selling that huge TOOL 10,000 Days poster at the show for $25.00. Not sure if everyone knew that that had not seen a show yet. So tell the guy on eBay trying to sell one for $400.00 to piss off.

Can't wait until the fall!!!

To the guy with the car on fire. Glad you made it!

Dolophane
05-14-2006, 06:03 AM
So as some of you may know, I was able to manage two free tickets to this show, but we had no idea where they were. When we get there we come to find that our free tickets not only include a guest pass (which I didn't really do anything about, I've gotten a few of these but never really feel like sitting around trying to meet the band) but that our free seats are in fucking ORCHESTRA ROW B! We were no further than 20 feet from the stage, right in front of Justin.

I was stunned when I saw that. The last time I was Tool in Chicago (when Maynard was also sick - during Lateralus), I had shit seats way up high and I could barely see the band. This time around I am standing right in front of them. It more than made up for that last experience.

And yeah, no Pot or Patient but "Right in Two" is my girlfriend's favorite track off of 10,000 Days and she got so excited when they started playing it - which was great. I was excited to hear the Pot live but I have to say, I am much happier they went with Right in Two. If I'm not mistaken, that's the first time they've played it live, right?

Personally, I prefered this smaller setup to the giant Alex Grey backdrops from Lateralus. It felt much more intense.

In summary - this show fucking rocked. So hard. Goddamn it was good.

futant55
05-14-2006, 06:37 AM
I have a miracle story. Like many people I was on ticketmaster at 10:00 and failed to get tickets for the show in dallas texas, I live about 2 hours from dallas. So when that show came and went I was reading the reviews and someone was complaining about people showing up and buying tickets at will call for face value. Me and my wife had plans to go to milwaukee to see her mother for mothersday so we decided to come up early and drive down to chicago and try and get tickets. We got there 2 hours early and were waiting in the will call line and the security guard said oh you want to buy tickets well go get in the "miracle" line. So we went and waited and they started selling some tickets. When it got to us the guy came out and said there were five tickets left one for the guy in front of us two for us and two for the guy behind us. We paid $66.66 for each ticket and to my total and I mean total amazement the tickets were on the left side by
Adam row c. I could see the white of Maynards teeth. This was the most lucky experience of my life. I've seen Tool twice before but not like this it was almost like being in their jam space with no big production just us and the band. It was a phenomenal performance they sounded so good and I feel special knowing we were the first ones to hear Right in Two live.

sweatyturtle19
05-14-2006, 06:39 AM

That's weird considering my seat WAS seat 404, in balcony 1. Were you the guy to the left of me that said it was your tenth Tool concert?

Anyways, the show was pretty much amazing, being my first Tool concert. I was extremely surprised by how effortless TOOL looked while playing their instruments.

I expected Danny to be flailing away, sweat flying off of him, making all kinds of intense facial expressions, but he was so smooth and relaxed. It didn't even look like he was trying, even during the hardest parts. The guy is inhuman.

The same goes for the rest of the band. They made the music look almost simple while playing it. Adam just stood there in the same spot and just played the whole time, hardly moving at all. I was kind of shocked at how easy they made this complex music look.

Lateralus was the highlight of the night for me. I nearly broke out into tears it was so amazing and beautiful. Aenema was a great closer as well...

Dolophane
05-14-2006, 06:46 AM
I expected Danny to be flailing away, sweat flying off of him, making all kinds of intense facial expressions, but he was so smooth and relaxed. It didn't even look like he was trying, even during the hardest parts. The guy is inhuman.
Well from where I was sitting, I was checking Danny's expressions and lemme tell you - he was definitely giving it his all. During the little breaks he was very much dripping with sweat.

Adam Jones seems to have taken a few pages out of the performance book of Fripp by having damn near no expression on his face the whole show - the rest of them appeared very happy, though.

Maynard was a silly bastard, though. When he came out shirtless, with the toussled mohawk, jeans, and cowboy boots with the megaphone strapped on - I cracked up. Fantastic stuff.

sweatyturtle19
05-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Well compared to other drummers I've seen live, it didn't even look like Danny was trying. I was pretty far away though...

sco999
05-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Great performance. The band sounded pretty tight. This was my 6th show, first show on this tour. I was in balc 1 row f. I thought the vocals were way to low. Maybe it was because Maynard was sick, but I could hardly hear what he was saying or singing (low and muffled). It was amazing to be the first ones to hear right in two live. I was also glad to get to hear the extended version of stinkfist, as well as some of the other jam outs. Rosetta Stoned rocked my face off. Also glad I picked up two posters. I was pissed about all the damn Scalpers outside the autitorium. Fucking scalpers those pieces of shit. Can't wait for Detroit on Monday.

AddRokk
05-14-2006, 08:10 AM
I was in section hh seat 301 anyone around there??

yeah. hh 403-404. perfect seats. there was a guy right infront of me who was a little stoned and a little drunk and was making hand gestures or body movements to any lyric he could. kind of entertaining to me. he was obviously having a good time and i was ok with that. i loved right in two. my girl was excited to hear lateralus. she was sad because she didnt think they would play it. met some cool guys waiting for the doors to open. one who flew in from cali. to see the show. fucking dedicated. or maybe it was raining.
i must admit i fought back tear atleast 5 times due to the intensity and overwhelming power of tools music live. jambi however was an exception i couldnt help it. ive chosen to apply those lyrics to my girlfriends effect on me and what i would do to keep her. beautiful. thank you tool

HOTRATS
05-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Seen Tool about 12 times since 92 and this is up there with the better ones eventhough Maynard was sick. I was hoping to hear The Pot live, but I guess you can't win them all. Had 5th row seats right in front of Adam. Security was brutal on people with Cameras and Camera Phones. two people got taken out near me for taking pictures. Can't wait for the full blown tour at the end of the summer.

SouthLoop_ToolFan
05-14-2006, 08:48 AM
My third TOOL show in two decades. I arrived right as the show started. Bought a beer and started to my balcony 1 row T seat – but never made it. As the band got louder I rushed towards the sound board and stood with a perfect view near the aisle. Then during Stinkfist a security women asked me for my ticket. I checked in 8 pockets, twice, and couldn't find my ticket. I then asked my buddy who was next me to show the security his ticket. He did, and I said "I sit next to him." But she demanded to see my ticket. I finally found it - and all this sucks cause I'm missing Stinkfist. Security lady says "you can't stand for free, it will cost you." So we talked briefly and finally I offered here $20 bucks. She came back 30 minutes later and says "what you did you decide?" - I gave her $20 bucks and she never hassled me again. But she did hassle everyone else who tried to stand next to me and my buddy. The concert was incredible. The concert was loud, very loud. The visuals, from my viewpoint, were fabulous. There was reoccurring bulls-eye's, and center marks and they all were centered on Maynards head. And the floating Dove with the three bullet holes - awesome! I can't wait for the stadium tour - but tonight was spectacular!

Toolvana
05-14-2006, 09:22 AM
First post from a longtime Toolshed visitor, and Tool fan since '93.
This was my 4th show. Great sound, great lighting, great visuals. Except for several what seemed to be mess-ups on Adams part, which may or may not have been intentional, the band played as good as would be expected.

The sound techs seemed to be on top of things for the most part, altering levels when needed, vocals in particular. Right in Two, never saw that coming, but much appreciated, and a fair trade-off for The Pot and The Patient. Maynard's "dancing", top notch entertainment. heh

I did observe something I thought to be strange however. The excitement of the crowd seemed dependant on the age of the song. The older the song, Sober and songs from Aenima for instance, the more the crowd was into it. I was surprised to see the majority of the crowd near motionless in comparison through most of the 10,000 Days material. I thought this was strange considering the difficulty in getting tickets, and thinking mostly "hardcore" fans would be in attendance. Oh well, not a big deal, it did not hinder my enjoyment of the show. I can not wait to see them again in the Fall.

dirtrider
05-14-2006, 09:46 AM
This was my first Tool show and it rocked pretty hard. Being the middle-aged straight looking guy I am, it's always fun watching the paranoid youngsters around me wondering if I'm a cop. I was expecting better sound from the Auditorium, but this is loud bass heavy stuff, so not bad in that regard.

One Dark Flame
05-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Well the show ended on a high note with Maynard suggesting that Montana? or Chicago? was a good safe place to live before breaking into Aenema, where L. Ron Hubbard was switched out for Rupert Murdock just like at Coachella.He " Which one was it Chicago or Montana?? I couldn't hear that either.

Dolophane
05-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Which one was it Chicago or Montana?? I couldn't hear that either.
He said Montana. Said it was a good place to live (adding to Danny "...strategically.")

SpiralOut92
05-14-2006, 10:16 AM
This was my third tool concert, the previous two being at the allstate arena during the Lateralus tour- but it was by far the best and one I'll never forget

This was my first time going to a conert alone. To make a long unecessary story short- friends and my brother refused to pay the increased prices. So I figure oh well, I'll catch the arena tour. But then I find out my buddy's birthday dinner is gonna be right downtown at 6:00 that evening. I couldn't live with myself if I was sitting 6 blocks away from the auditorium and not inside. So I buy a single ticket at the last minute and just go alone. If anyone saw me, I was in row CC next to the kid that was tripping out and going totally out of his mind most of the show. I also could be identified as probably that short guy who looks alot younger than I really am (20).

So needless to say I was a little aprehensive about going alone, but once I got in line and then saw the venue, i didnt give a shit. I was so excited just waiting I could barely stand it. The lights go down and its just me and the band, and thats all that really matters. The venue, the intimacy, just everything made this such a great unique experience. It was really amazing to hear tool clearly in a theatre rather than a shitty arena.

The band was great, I wont go into detail over maynard being sick etc and the setlist...I just felt privilidged to hear right in two live for the first time. The aforementioned stoned guy got a little annoying at times because he decided to scream at the top of his lungs through most of the songs. I know he's just having a good time- but I prefer to hear Maynard sing not you, and his vocals were already kind of low as it was. The extended schism made it all worth it too-that was amazing.
I'd have to say the highlight was Lateralus, it completely rocked and the entire audience was really into it.

It was also so entertaining to watch maynards "dancing." Compared to what we got on the Lateralus tour, he just seemed so much more lively and happy, I think that alone just added immensely to my enjoyment of the show. but I'm just completely blown away now, still even the next day. What a great experience

I also am thinking of trying to see them at the summer sonic tour in Tokyo in august. I'm studying there for the fall semester, and its about 2 weeks before I'm set to arrive...but if I can get plans set I may try to go and see them. I think tool in tokyo would be quite an experience..

SpiralEyes4U
05-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Amazing show. One of the best shows I have seen in a long time. Definately in the top 5. The lighting, stage setup and layout, visuals, and sound were awesome. The band was on as usual and they rock the f ing house. You could tell Maynard was sick, because you could hardly hear him at times. That was also due to drown outs from the bass. It was great to see Maynard actually getting into the music and start dancing. It's been along time and coming!

I was suprised not many people were getting into the music and just standing there or sitting. I am not saying there should be mosh pits, but do people ever rock out any more! I understand its a theater, but you are going to see TOOL. It's not bare naked ladies or dave mathews.

It was nice to met a lot of tranie's like us. Hopefully you'all made it home alright! Especially the dude in the sit next to us last row between the two sound boards (excellent seats), and the fellow detroiters from the parking garage. Was there even a big Chicago presence?

Departed Detroit @ 1:30pm
Arrived @ Chicago 6:30pm
Departed Chicago @ 11:30pm
Arrived Detroit @ 5:15am

Mothers day @ 10:30am!!! F.....

The show was worth all of it!! Trying to buy tickets for Detroit show on Monday.

thomasstearns
05-14-2006, 10:58 AM
the show was amazing. It seemed like they did an extended version of lateralus as well as stinkfist and schism. And that version of schism made that song into a whole new creature. absolutely amazing. And alot of respect to everyone in the crowd, everyone was very cool. did anyone check out that museum in chicago, me and my friend got stoned as hell and spent five hours there. it was great.

bozobuttz
05-14-2006, 11:03 AM
So here goes my longish Tool experience…
(you can scroll down to the review(next post) instead)
I was 4th in line on April 22nd at Ticketmaster in Orland Park, IL when tickets went on sale and believe it or not, NOBODY there got any tickets. It didn't help that they lined us up outside and led us in at 11:01 after the tix already were on sale. So that sucked. My buddy Matt was lucky enough to get his 1st row balcony ticket online, clicking 'Refresh' to death. I told my girlfriend she won’t be going to the show with me. ;-)

May 13th was drawing near and I was getting so antsy because I didn't have a ticket. I was willing to spend up to $150, which I think is more than adequate, but everything on eBay was north of that. On Wednesday the 10th, I was downtown for the Conan O’Brien show, so I swung by the theater’s box office to check if maybe some tickets became available. No luck. My last ditch effort was to just go down to the day of the show and find a ticket. I figured I might as well try, as I had nothing to lose except $14 parking (which should have been $10 with my parking validation but it was expired or some b.s. At that point, I didn't care, I had just seen Tool).

So May 13 arrives and all day my stomach was in a knot. I was hoping my plan would work out. I tried Ticketmasturbater one last time in Orland to no avail. I had to attend my Grandpa's and his twin brother's 80th surprise birthday party at 4pm, which I knew about long before the concert was announced. I left the party about 6pm without a problem, except my Mom’s cousin called me a “bonehead” for going to a concert without a ticket. I got downtown on the Stevenson without any traffic, but I did go past a completely wrecked ’06 Mustang GT near the Lake Shore Drive ramp. It looked like some kids going to their prom; I would guess they were o.k. I was hoping I would have better luck than them tonight! I got my car parked about 6:45 and was out in front of the theater to start my attempts at getting a ticket. I was worried though because it was my first time trying to get a ticket out front; I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. I had a better chance than anyone else since I was the only one with a sign!

My buddy Matt arrives and spots me. He has to get his ticket at will-call. He tells me “I’ll come back, but if I can’t, I’ll see you INSIDE!” (wink, wink) He was able to come back out and was going to chill with me until I potentially get my ticket. We hop in the “maybe-we-can-get-last-minute-tickets” line since the scalpers were at $200 and above. No sooner than I hang up with my girlfriend telling her I don’t have a ticket yet, a younger guy walks up to me…
Him - “I have an extra ticket”.
Me - “How much?”
Him - “How’s $70 sound?”
Me - “Are you serious? Sounds good to me!” (as I’m fumbling cash out of my pocket) “Here’s $80.”
Matt – “Put that ticket in your pocket right now!”
Some dude behind Matt – “Can I have your sign?”
Me – “Sure dude. I don’t need it anymore!”

Most of the conversation is now a blur because I was so excited. Thanks to the guy, you know who you are if you read this. The guy’s mom and buddy were with him. I could not thank them enough! The mom says something like, “You deserve it!” I tell her “Happy Mother’s Day!” It turns out his mom got them 4th row orchestra tickets and needed to sell his original one to a deserving fan. I was the first person he saw and I had my homemade sign. I’m glad luck played out, and I think Matt brings me good luck every time. I got lucky at the last minute for the May 17, 2001 show at the Riviera with a ticket for $100. Thanks again (Mom), (Son), and (Friend), sorry I didn’t get your names! I hope you enjoyed the show as much, and probably more than I did! If I ever have an extra ticket to sell before a show, I’m going to sell it for face value like that. It is just the right thing to do for a well-deserving fan. I know how it feels.

We get inside, I buy the nice black tour shirt, and Matt and I part our ways and tell each to enjoy the show. I make my way up to Balcony 1, Row P, Seat 303. I settle down in my plush seat just before 8:00pm. It wasn’t a bad seat at all, just right of center looking at the stage. There was a pillar two rows in front of me but it was not in the way at all. Seat 304 directly to the left of me, however, was completely obstructed and nobody actually sat there, so it was nice to have a little extra room to groove to the music. I had a hard time realizing that I actually made it, and I was waiting to see my favorite band Tool perform in front of my very own eyes for the 3rd time. I should have pinched myself. I just looked around and observed the people around me.

bozobuttz
05-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Review

The Auditorium is now by far the best venue I’ve seen a show at. The interior is amazing and even more so when you realize a major band is playing in it. There was no less than 4 or 5 bars in the place. Too bad I’m not 21 until September. The box seats looked badass with those nice comfy chairs. The sound was pretty good, but from where I was sitting, the bass was a little boomy. I think it was because I was just under the 2nd balcony and there was some standing sound waves or resonance. At times, I couldn’t hear Maynard singing due to that, or people singing along so loud, or both. The people in the front rows of the balcony probably didn’t have any gripes about the sound. I’m sure the closer, the better.

I couldn’t understand anything Maynard said in between songs except the first thing which was
“Chicago… It seems like every time I come to Chicago I get sick.”

I think he went on later to say that he was sick, etc. as others have already noted. Its unfortunate because the weather was rather nice here until it turned all cold and crappy last week if that played a part. I think he also apologized for the late start. At one point between songs, I believe he left the stage, and possibly Adam too.

Lost Keys - got my ears ringing, and Rosetta Stoned, with its phat reprise, were both good.

Stinkfist - was right on, it was a/the extended version. Maynard let the crowd sing “I'll keep digging till I feel something.”

46&2 - was also very good.

Jambi - was not bad except for the talkbox, which from what I’ve heard can be a little stubborn.

Schism – at first I thought was rushed when they played the middle slow part fast, but it turned out to be badass since they doubled it up with the slow.

Right in Two - stood out the most in my mind of the songs off the new album. It just sounded so much better live than a recording. I haven’t been able to listen to the new CD on any decent sound system yet. Glad we got to hear it, swapped out for The Patient and The Pot.

Sober - in my opinion, is one song that has to be listened to played live. No matter how loud I listen to Sober on my own, a recording can not do it justice.

Lateralus - the crowd went nuts and it was fantastic. Unfortunately, the girl next to me knew every last word.

Their “intermission” was very short and just like the other shows.

Vicarious - Maynard played some notes on his keyboard to his right after their little “intermission” and the up into the intro. Flawless. My ears were starting to ring badly at this point.

Aenema - crowd went wild as expected.

The show was over. The band threw water, and Danny threw his sticks and drum heads to the crowd. They exited stage right and the curtain closed.

The only problem I was constantly distracted. People with their phones out. The ushers where I was at weren’t too bad about people taking pictures. I kept looking for opportunities to snap some when the usher wasn’t around when I should’ve been paying attention to the show. I kept daydreaming like “Wow, I’m really here!” I wasn’t on drugs or anything, but I couldn’t stay focused because I already knew what the setlist was going to be thanks to everyone else’s reviews. At one point, I got to thinking that 10,000 Days would be Tool’s last. And dare I say Tool is showing their age? I think I was just trying to take too much into account. Maynard is just a little sick is all. I think I would have been more pumped and attentive if I went into it not knowing what they were going to play.

Could anyone describe what the glow-in-the-dark logo was on the floor of the stage? Did anyone notice if Danny hit his gong? I saw it swinging at one point like he just hit it but I didn’t hear it.

To the girl from Kentucky to the right of me, I hope you enjoyed your first Tool show! To the guy in Row Q, Seat 302, with the “Murphy’s Law” or whatever shirt it was you had on, you can lick my sweaty toolsack. This guy was like “Play the F-ing Pot, I’m gonna freak out if they play The Pot!” all psycho, and had other swear-laden random outbursts. Control yourself. I didn’t let it bother me too much. Once again, I want to thank the guy I got my ticket from, it would not have been possible without you! Happy Graduation! This show was one fine gift, and an experience you and I will never forget.

Happy Mother’s Day!

AddRokk
05-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Could anyone describe what the glow-in-the-dark logo was on the floor of the stage? Did anyone notice if Danny hit his gong? I saw it swinging at one point like he just hit it but I didn’t hear it.

yes i do remember him playing it. i was in a continuos daze so i cannot recall when. possibly when justin and adam were doing the feedback before sober.

eulogist
05-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Long time listener, First time caller. Love you, loved the show.

My tickets were in the 1st Balcony row I seat 501, shoot me a message if you were near.

Rustifarian

balcony 1 row E 505, u probably saw my head....

theprosperone
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Maynard also said something along the lines of, "Sorry again if I sound hoarse. The only way to fix a sore throat is to not tour and not sing and thats not an option."

Honestly, I couldn't even tell he was sick with his vocals. He held back and sang some parts a little more subdued than usual but it still sounded top notch. Glad you all enjoy the show as much as I did. :)

randomhero8823
05-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Compliments:
amazing show!! i was in awe.. especially being the first group of people ever to hear right in two live which is a song that will stand the test of time, the drums on this song were so amazing.. sure i got pumped up for 46&2s drums but wow.. the harder schism really kicked ass, so did jambi it was hard as hell!! lateralus really suprised me when it came on because i knew that they took out the pot and the patient and replaced it with one song.. maybe because they were running late.. but the way i look at it we got a special treat instead (right in two) i could type forever on compliments they are all the same as yours basically..

Complaints:
my complaints might differ alot from others because i was last row. dont get me wrong i dig the intimate setting and all, but tool was just too huge of a band for that small of place. I dont know if it was because i was last row (that shouldnt matter though with an under 4,000 seat capacity) , but i couldnt hear maynard for shit, maybe because he was sick? o well it just made everyone else stand out even more.

GullyFoyle
05-14-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't even know where to begin. I'll start by stating that I split a Sweetart (with a drop of liquid) with a friend about an hour before the show. I figured half a drop would only "enhance" the experience. Our seats were in the First lower box on the right side. We got there at 7:30 and took our seats, which were fucking outrageous! Before the show it almost sounded like someone was tuning in each different freq on all speakers. I was starting to trip and that bass was rattling through me. My water I had sitting on the ledge looked like that one in Jurrasic Park, rippling up and looking just like a clear record spinning. I don't know what music they were playing before the show, but it sounded like some Lustmord mix. Then, they cut to "evil joe". That got me all excited, because I know the band is next.

Out walked Justin, the crowd goes wild. Adam walks out, crowd still going crazy. The both start playing LK and shortly Danny's giant self walks out. Again, crowd noise fights with speakers for authority. Danny starts playing, now Maynard comes out. I just realized that I have been on the awkward clang of an upward rollercoaster, and Maynard starts moving like a robot, pulls the CB from his megaphone and begins....
The rest, I really can't give you a play by play. Everything sort of started melting together at that point. All of the music seemed to blend from song to song. For a short time I felt like Danny was a puppet master, and those drums were his strings pulling on maynard the puppet. In a lot of instances I caught Maynard seemingly 'feeding' off of the drums. Then it switched to Justin pulling MJ's strings. Maynard would take back control and looked to be shifting gears on a rig. Watching Justin rock back and forth and stomp in rhythm with Danny was mesmerizing. It felt like more than audio was coming from Justin's instrument. Like it was boomerang and the notes were being thrown out into the air. The sound seemed to be flying around the room in a circular pattern, mindblowing. I COULDN'T stand. Wouldn't stand. It never occured for me to try. I loved the visuals. From my view MJ was standing perfectly in between the two screens. It felt like it meant something at the time. I'm sure he wasn't, but with the angle he was looking out, and the sunglasses he had on, I thought he was singing to me. For the first few songs, I couldn't even move. I really felt as if Maynard saw me out there in that box and noticed that I wasn't moving and only watching wide-eyed. It seemed to me that he was doing it to fuck with me. Testing my decision to trip on that fateful night. The last three songs really drew me in. I forgot the exact setlist (for my own good) and thought each song was a walkout song. All of them beat me into the back of my seat so much that, there may still be an imprint in it today.

I'm pretty sure Danny hit the gong in Sober. I remember watching him closely at the time that he turns and hit it. Also, on the intro to sober (I think) Danny was speaking into a mic. I could hear him and see his lips moving. I just couldn't make it out. I never knew Danny had vocals on anything. Maynard changed the lyrics to Schism (i think) to "cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of destruction" or maybe something else close, but I know I heard destruction instead of compassion. Adam had his shoes on the whole show. I managed to sneak a cam-corder in, but big brother wouldn't get away. Anyone with audio from this show, please PM it to me. Out of the five concerts I've been to including The Tabernacle, Atlanta May 15, 2001, this one blows the others out of the water, no question. Psychedelics enhance the hell out of TOOL (why didn't someone tell me?).

Did you see someone (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12921485771.jpg&s=f5) tripping at the show?

gf

XXSpiralOUTXX
05-14-2006, 01:09 PM
WOW all i can say is WOW. i had the best night of my life probably.....

i went down to the show by myself with 80 dollars and i was hoping to maybe get a ticket for face value or sneak in. i got there about 6 and i tried my hardest but could not find a ticket for 80 dollars or i couldnt find a good place to sneak in. its about 8:30 and i could hear them playing stinkfist from outside and im just standing there talking to another dude who didnt get in when a guy who works for the band comes up to me and this dude. he says in his australian accent " do you guys have tickets" i say no and after i say no he hands me an envelope with two ORCH E seats 406 and and 407. and inside the envelope was a backstage pass...the triangle one that said guest on it. i take one and the backstage pass and give the other ticket to this i guy i was talking to. so i get into the show and enjoyed the shit out of it..i was in total shock still and when i walked in they just started 46 and 2. i walking down to my seat screaming out the lyrics and i couldnt believe that this shit just happened to me. this shit never happens to me. i feel sorry for the people who paid 225 for a ticket from the scalpers because i guess this tour manager guy with an australian accent gave out a good amout of tickets for free. anyways, it was a great show all and all...its my second tool show and the new material is phenomenal live. right in two was fucking awesome. the little jam thing before vicarious i thought danny was gonna bust out ticks and leeches but i knew from the past setlists that it was gonna probably be vicarious which it was.
so the concert ends and i have the backstage pass and im gonna use it. i go back into the auditorium and a guy asks me "who do you know from the band" and i say "danny." he says "how do you know him" to which i reply "hey man, i dont know anyone from the band. i got this backstage pass outside with my ticket and i was just hoping to meet the band" he says he has to talk to his boss because the after show party was only for friends and family of the band. so he takes me backstage, up some stairs into this little room. i talk to him for a little bit and he tells me hes from texas and he gives me a setlist from the show. he leaves for a second to see if theres any chance i can get backstage and meet the band....when he comes back he says "sorry dude, i cant let you backstage because youre not friends or family and its strictly for friends and family." i totally understood and after getting in for free there is no way i could be dissappointed. so im walking out to leave the building and i see the australian guy in a small room and i yell " hey man thanks a lot. i appreciate what you did for me so much" and he goes "come here a second, i want you to meet someone" i walk towards this room and when i turn the corner standing there is ADAM JONES. i was in complete awe. he says to me "hope you enjoyed the show, sorry if maynard didnt sound good, hes sick" i said "it sounded awesome. thank you for letting me get to see you." then i tell him how i tried to get tickets and it sold out in 10 seconds and adam tells me that when he was younger he wanted to see a van halen show at rosemont and it sold out in 1 minute so he understood what it was like to be a little disappointed. i asked if the band was coming back and he said they will be back in august sometime after they tour japan and will be playing a bigger venue. i said "thats awesome i will for sure be there." after about three minutes of talking to adam i had to leave and i shook his hand and said thanks again for the great show. he then said "see you in the fall" and i replied "you bet" and then i walked out of the theatre and just still could not believe i was just talking to adam. and i knew none of my friends were gonna believe me.
all and all, i go down there with no ticket and just a positive attitude and i end up meeting adam and sitting about tenth row adam's side all for free( except the parking i paid for which was only 10 bucks,not bad for downtown.) i cant wait to see them again

Exact Functor
05-14-2006, 01:24 PM
2006/05/04 - Chicago, IL- Auditorium Theatre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETLIST --

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

$10 for two beers
$25 parking

Amazing show ... no Patient or Pot, but Right in Two!

oh, and Maynard said he was sick like every time he is Chicago.

Holy shit! Were you next to a guy in a white hoodie that was headbanging the whole time? That was my friend. I was next to him.

Exact Functor
05-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Maynard seemed sick so he toned down quite a bit. I mean, sometimes you could barely hear the vocals. For me Latelarus was probably the best song of the whole show. Other then that, everything was great but somehow seeing them on the 2002 tour felt much better.

dickliquor
05-14-2006, 01:59 PM
my first live tool experience was just as i knew it would be....

met up with some fellow toolarmy members before the show.....a med student opened his home to a virtual bunch of strangers.....it was really a cool mix of ppl there

we were about as far away from the stage as we could get (front row of the gallery)
yet we had a really trippy, cool vantage point of the stage.....very 'toolish'
hanging over the crowd looking down into danny's kit as he played

unfortunately we couldn't hear much of what maynard said between songs.....except 'chicago' and that he had a sore throat.......the rest was inaudible

and as expected the show itself was incredible
the very few mistakes i heard just made it feel more intimate
seeing them as the imperfect humans they are

'right in two' was a nice surprise....though they didn't play 'the pot' (maybe due to maynards throat/voice?)
i had to laff when all four came out on stage.....sat on maynards platform kicking their legs like little kids.....soaking it all in

lurkerguy
05-14-2006, 02:55 PM
I don't even know where to begin. I'll start by stating that I split a Sweetart (with a drop of liquid) with a friend about an hour before the show. I figured half a drop would only "enhance" the experience. Our seats were in the First lower box on the right side. We got there at 7:30 and took our seats, which were fucking outrageous! Before the show it almost sounded like someone was tuning in each different freq on all speakers. I was starting to trip and that bass was rattling through me. My water I had sitting on the ledge looked like that one in Jurrasic Park, rippling up and looking just like a clear record spinning. I don't know what music they were playing before the show, but it sounded like some Lustmord mix. Then, they cut to "evil joe". That got me all excited, because I know the band is next.

Out walked Justin, the crowd goes wild. Adam walks out, crowd still going crazy. The both start playing LK and shortly Danny's giant self walks out. Again, crowd noise fights with speakers for authority. Danny starts playing, now Maynard comes out. I just realized that I have been on the awkward clang of an upward rollercoaster, and Maynard starts moving like a robot, pulls the CB from his megaphone and begins....
The rest, I really can't give you a play by play. Everything sort of started melting together at that point. All of the music seemed to blend from song to song. For a short time I felt like Danny was a puppet master, and those drums were his strings pulling on maynard the puppet. In a lot of instances I caught Maynard seemingly 'feeding' off of the drums. Then it switched to Justin pulling MJ's strings. Maynard would take back control and looked to be shifting gears on a rig. Watching Justin rock back and forth and stomp in rhythm with Danny was mesmerizing. It felt like more than audio was coming from Justin's instrument. Like it was boomerang and the notes were being thrown out into the air. The sound seemed to be flying around the room in a circular pattern, mindblowing. I COULDN'T stand. Wouldn't stand. It never occured for me to try. I loved the visuals. From my view MJ was standing perfectly in between the two screens. It felt like it meant something at the time. I'm sure he wasn't, but with the angle he was looking out, and the sunglasses he had on, I thought he was singing to me. For the first few songs, I couldn't even move. I really felt as if Maynard saw me out there in that box and noticed that I wasn't moving and only watching wide-eyed. It seemed to me that he was doing it to fuck with me. Testing my decision to trip on that fateful night. The last three songs really drew me in. I forgot the exact setlist (for my own good) and thought each song was a walkout song. All of them beat me into the back of my seat so much that, there may still be an imprint in it today.

I'm pretty sure Danny hit the gong in Sober. I remember watching him closely at the time that he turns and hit it. Also, on the intro to sober (I think) Danny was speaking into a mic. I could hear him and see his lips moving. I just couldn't make it out. I never knew Danny had vocals on anything. Maynard changed the lyrics to Schism (i think) to "cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of destruction" or maybe something else close, but I know I heard destruction instead of compassion. Adam had his shoes on the whole show. I managed to sneak a cam-corder in, but big brother wouldn't get away. Anyone with audio from this show, please PM it to me. Out of the five concerts I've been to including The Tabernacle, Atlanta May 15, 2001, this one blows the others out of the water, no question. Psychedelics enhance the hell out of TOOL (why didn't someone tell me?).

Did you see someone (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12921485771.jpg&s=f5) tripping at the show?

gf

I remember you. Me and my girlfriend were sitting with you and your friend at the bar across the street from the theatre. We ran into each other right after the show... were you able to make out any of what MJK was saying other that that he was sick? it seems like he said a bit more than that but to us it was boomy and muffled.

aschaefer04
05-14-2006, 03:00 PM
I got downtown on the Stevenson without any traffic, but I did go past a completely wrecked ’06 Mustang GT near the Lake Shore Drive ramp. It looked like some kids going to their prom; I would guess they were o.k.

i saw that too! i rev'd at them with my well-exhausted 00GT :p

looked like a roush GT too :(

liquidblue
05-14-2006, 03:55 PM
This was my first tool show , and i am still in fucking awe. I cant beleive how amazing it was , it was a spiritual event man. we got gallery tickets row E and we could see fine
i still can process that i was actually there it was so sur real fuckin tool man

pawky
05-14-2006, 04:31 PM
After sharing the product of a somewhat last-minute decision to “smoke the second one” with our new befriendees in line, we were finally in. As I was being frisked, I realized how ridiculous and unintentionally homoerotic the process of frisking really is. The pot started kicking in shortly after this mind-altering realization. Fifteen minutes of stumbling around later, we were standing in front of the entrance to Balcony 1. I allowed myself a glimpse inside. It was really odd seeing mohawks, alex grey prints, tattoos, piercings and even a pair of fake tits here and there surrounded by frescos from the baroque period. The atmosphere in the theatre must have been as alien to the theatre itself as it was to me. Three and a half years is a long stretch of time. I see the old songs in a different light now, as my interpretation continues to evolve with each encounter. The new songs are still fresh and crisp. I can hear them clearly after long hours of familiarization, which begun just days ago. They are like juveniles running around in my head, full of energy, while the classics try to show them the way, settle them down in all the right spots. Baaaaaa. The yelping of the sheep snaps me out of the temporary philosophical euphoria and I go down like a ton of bricks. Yes, I have to share this experience with a bunch of dimwits. I recall the time when the entire united center was repeating after Maynard, “…don’t repeat what others say…”. This reminds me, I have to take a piss…

Finding my seat presented no major challenge, other than trying not to miss a step on the way down due to the never-ending stare game with the stage. The stage eventually won. After settling in, I started looking around, examining the audience. Why are these people here? What do they want? Will they be disappointed? When will they forget about all of this? Am I the only one asking these questions? Probably not. All I know is that we came here with similar intentions. The motivation, the path, the result and the process are unique to everyone present, but the intentions are the same. Uneasiness began to fade as a certain sense of unity was now slowly creeping in. The grudge against humanity/stupidity has been lifted and I am now ready to receive TOOL.

As anticipated, the opener was the electrifying Lost keys, Rosetta stoned. It overwhelmed, picked me up and threw me down, did all sorts of nasty things to my mind while my body couldn’t help but remain motionless. I was stunned and amazed. It almost brought me to tears. After the song came to an end, Maynard notified the audience that he has gotten sick. It showed, but I didn’t mind at all. I thought the sickness brought a very human-like vulnerability to the performance, while adding to the overall sensation of sadness of 10,000 days, the album. He followed that announcement up with a couple of jokes that I couldn’t hear over the chants, screams and various other noises coming from all directions. Honestly, the loudest audience I have ever seen.

The extended version of Stinkfist took me to that familiar place so I could get comfortable and prepare for what’s to come. God, it was like watching a nuclear weapon explode from just 50 feet away. Eventually, I gave up and let the music do whatever it pleased with me.

At the end of it all, I realized that such abstract ideas as “good” or “bad” need not apply when it comes to a TOOL show. Like anything else that grandiose, it is nothing more than just a ripple in space and time. However, I cannot help but feel privileged to be a witness to it all and feel its presence in my concept of reality.

Anosmiac
05-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Much like the other fans who have seen them several times on previous tours, I thought this show was OK. From where I was (balcony 1, row X), you could hear Maynard was struggling a bit. Adam was a bit off in terms of timing. Still seems like they are ironing out the kinks from almost 4 years of off-time. Justin and Danny just seemed like musical scientists...absolute perfection! Regardless, this is the best band you can see, and I would suggest everyone to catch a show! It was well worth the ticket price, and I will be there when they come back in the fall (after Maynard picks his grapes!).

Trainman
05-14-2006, 05:11 PM
3rd show...

I believe Maynards quote was "Chicago..(crowd cheers)...seems like I get sick every time I come here. Maybe I'm alergic. Seeing some smiling faces might help heal me"

I was in 1balcony row V all the way to stage right. Crowd was awesome. It was not loud at all where I was, but the mix seemed perfect. Zero problems hearing the vocals like so many others seemed to, but when Maynard was talking it was hard to hear. Seemed like everybody tried to quiet down so they could hear what he was saying.

Highlight of the show for me was Right in Two. I expected the "PLAY F-ING PRISON SEX" fans to get bored and sit down, but it seemed like everybody around me was singing along. It felt so cool to be surrounded by people all thinking about what an f-ed up world we live in...or maybe it was just me.

GullyFoyle
05-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Did anyone get any photos to post? Still looking for that audio.... I've got memories to protect here!

gf

zac
05-14-2006, 06:52 PM
I was in 1st balcony, seats 403-404, anyone around there? Great view, I love that theater.[/QUOTE]

I was in 1st balcony, seats 404-405 Row G so I was somewhere near you.
Loved the show, was my 3rd and my friends 1st so it was a good place for him to get to see them for the first time i think.

theprosperone
05-14-2006, 06:54 PM
I was in row R. Perfect sound and seats but I wouldn't have wanted to be more than 5 rows behind me, from there on up its a little too contained under the second balcony.

chloe411
05-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Finally got my head back on straight after last night ORCH ROW T just off center, Rosetta Stoned was like a kick in the freakin face from Maynards cowboy boot. RIGHT IN TWO was amazing and still cant believe they played it after seeing the other set lists from previous shows didnt think they would but glad they decided to unveil it in CHICAGO.

deffinatezero
05-14-2006, 07:39 PM
4 th row pit Tool Tickets : (Graduation present) 66.66
Gettin memory card stole by security guard: 60 bucks
2 tshirts and a poster: 105.00
Meeting danny & justin after the show: PRICELESS

bonzo73
05-14-2006, 07:42 PM

gf
Danny definitely hit the gong during Sober. I was in the 5th row and at first I thought he dropped his drum stick as he was fumbling a bit, and then he hit the gong. Does he hit the gong near the end of Lateralus too? I didn't notice.

bozobuttz
05-14-2006, 08:05 PM
4 th row pit Tool Tickets : (Graduation present) 66.66
Gettin memory card stole by security guard: 60 bucks
2 tshirts and a poster: 105.00
Meeting danny & justin after the show: PRICELESS

Did you sell me your extra ticket? I had the sign. I can tell you had a great time. How'd you get to meet the Tool gods?

LiTtLe_kNoWn_ToOl_FaN
05-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Orch Row GG seat 201
been a fan since 94 but to finally see TooL in person.....Surreal....of course Maynards voice was a bit muffled, but it showed that he in fact is a human. of all the shows I've ever been to, this crowd was the most chilled, and that is what I was hoping for, cuz we were here for one thing, not to mosh, slam dance, push or shove each other, but to see the 4 greatest musicians ever preform for us as a whole (during the intermission when they were sitting on maynards stand, I was at tears just seeing the whole crowd cheering and seeing them take it all in. They're back, and they knew it) this really was the best show to see TooL for the first time ever....Thank you guys for making the best of one Unknown fans Night

Cboggs
05-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Third show that that ive seen, and best yet. Hope the visuals are more complex in the fall. 1st balcony 3row 606 great place. from where i was sitting i couldn't find a seat in the house that was emtpy or had obstructed view of the show. That place is amazing, any band would sound great in there, but tool really showed chicago how to rock the roosevelt theatre. great set list - couldnt of been better, everything but a couple off 10000days - and lost my 46&2 virginity(all in one night).
nothing but the best
just as expected!

bozobuttz
05-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Here are some pics I took.

http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool5.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool6.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool7.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool8.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool9.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool10.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool11.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool12.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/tool13.jpg

deffinatezero
05-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Did you sell me your extra ticket? I had the sign. I can tell you had a great time. How'd you get to meet the Tool gods?

Yeah we did seel lthe extra ticket to you...me and my friend did.. .hope you had a great show man.. mine was amazing

Stood by their semi for two hours in the cold... it was all worth it

AddRokk
05-14-2006, 09:20 PM
did anyone else dig the meshuggah before they went on. before the evil joe skit. i was psyched. meshuggah sounded awesome on that theatres system.

aschaefer04
05-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah we did seel lthe extra ticket to you...me and my friend did.. .hope you had a great show man.. mine was amazing

Stood by their semi for two hours in the cold... it was all worth it
lucky man...

did anyone posting here grab the snare head that danny threw out? (not the smaller head that he let adam throw out...)

i saw the guy in the lobby and was tempted to rob it from him and run away...i just looked him in the eye and said "you are one lucky bastard"...he threw up a huge grin, i nodded, and went on my way

that concert will go down as one of the most memorable nights of my life.

Erysichthon
05-14-2006, 11:13 PM
My friend and i both got tickets from ebay on 5/10 for +150, got them 5/12 and at 11 pm that night we drove from South Carolina to chicago straight 12.5hours, stopping only to feed and piss. Was first TOOL show for the both of us and definatly the most amzazing concert ive ever been too...the seats were not the best by far, balc 2 row f 30and32. BUT I dont think theres anywhere else i would have rather been after it was over. The people around use were great and i had a great veiw of the stage even though it was at a distance.
Keys and Stoned were a great starting choice, but when they went into Stinkfist i teared up...i admit it ok i did. Loved to experiance the extended/altered versions of some of my favorites songs too. I can tell you for sure my favorite performance was Right in two, favorite song on new album save for 10000 days. And we get to hear it live for the first time, wonderful. Jambi followed Right in two for fav. performance, I think Danny totally stole the show on that one during the solo, hes a King. the rest of the songs fall right in behind with no clear favorite, they were all totally amazing. I wonder if im the only one that rank 2 new songs as 2 favorites that show??? Maynard's jyroscopic performance while somewhat incoherant at times was also great despite his ailment, as were Adam and Justins performance. Would have loved to see both The Pot and Patient, but I was blown away by Right in two.
I thought we were gonna bring the house down during the intermission with all the stomping we were doin on the balconies i bet it was heard a mile away. In closing, Best show ever, CANT WAIT till fall... sorry if my singing along with nearly every song offended anyone close, i couldnt help it i was enthralled...maybe i will see some of you somewhere closer to SC in the fall

selliott37
05-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Did anyone here besides me and my buddy (deffinatezero) stay by the semi out back afterwards? Like my friend said after two hours we finally got to meet Justin and Danny. It was definatly worth the wait!

To the guy i sold the ticket to in line (bozobutts or something like that?)...the name is Steven...nice to meet you! haha

vagina patterson
05-15-2006, 04:00 AM
I was in the first balcony - first tool show for me & I had an amazing time. Right in Two was definitely the highlight for me - the tabla part danny plays with his pads is fuckin bad ass. Stinkfist was another highlight, and I don't even like Schism that much but the little jam in the middle of it rocked. As far as playing ability and sound, probably the best concert I've seen - but I think NIN spoiled me as far as concert visuals go. I liked the screens how they looked right when the band was walking out, but for a lot of it I thought it looked like tool playing in front of windows media player visualizations... Stinkfist being the exception, because the climax of that song fits very well with the video they use in the back. Kinda disappointed they didn't play The Pot & The Patient honestly, but Right in Two more than made up for that. All in all - great sound, great show, thanks a lot tool!

Gilgamesh
05-15-2006, 05:03 AM
What a fantastic show. Great venue. Not a bad seat in the house. Very fortunate to have heavily rocked out from 7th row center. Great sound. Awesome set. Tight play...obvious that they enjoy playing together (and have enjoyed doing so for the last 16 years). Powerful concert. Chatted pre-show with fellow concert goers from from all over the country (many who already saw them more than once on this leg). Impressed by the knowledge and intensity of the fans (true). Unfortunately, all paid big bucks to be there (but, worth every red cent). Throughout the set, everyone around was singing, fiving and hugging (very synergistic). Cathartic for me...now ready to tackle anything (and anyone). Best song of the night...46 and 2.

toolhead777
05-15-2006, 06:22 AM
wow what a show. the sound the visuals and Danny!!!!! it was my 11th show and by far the best one yet. i can think of 10,000 reasons why i love the new album. hearing the songs live put the final touch on a great album. if you are reading this and do not have the new album you have major problems. i want to thank spector for the great seats row L center. what an experience im still shaking and its monday. lateralus was the best song i had to sit down after the song it had drained me. security worried me at first but we were able to smoke everything. can't wait untill the fall when we try to break last tours record of attending 10 shows. i also want to thank Phil, Joe, and Steve for experiecing the best tool show i have ever seen. get well get well soon maynard we wish to get well

so0l
05-15-2006, 07:29 AM
First off let me apologize to Sean. We got caught up at the field museum and after having the 6 pass up our bus stop, we didnt get back to the hotel until it was time to head to the show. :(

All in all, very impressed with chicago. the people were great, i dont think we ran across one rude person (other than the cab drivers who dont talk) the entire time.

Now then, the show. We got the around 7:15 probably. A line was formed for will call I guess that we got in until someone told us if you already had tickets you could go on in. A quick search and we were in the theater....Holy shit was the place beautiful. The whole ambiance was perfect. We got in line to grab swag and realized we only had $70 on us and they didnt take cards. So after searching for an atm we found an ushed for the backdoor who was really cool. He ran us next door to another usher who was escorting people back and forth to the atm. By the time we got back, the lobby was packed. We got back in line and picked up some merchandise then grabbed a couple drinks and headed to our seats.

8:00 and no band. No big deal for me, but the wife is less forgiving for punctuality. We were in seats 401 and 402 row C in the first balcony. Met some people that came from atlanta that were really cool next to us and a guy who was from chicago but flew in from hawaii.

So the curtains start going up and the blue glow of the stage setup starts pouring out. The crowd goes nuts. Justin walks out, the crowd goes nuts. Adam walks out the crowd goes nuts. They start playing lost keys. Danny walks out and the crowd goes nuts. Maynard walks out and the crowd goes nuts.

Into Rosetta Stoned. My wife found Maynard in his getup sexy as hell. looks like i need to go buy a cowboy hat :P

So most of the concert has been covered. I'm not going to restate shit like Adam struggled with the talkbox and various maynardisms.

The highlights for me for the night were :

Right in two - Danny fucking killed the drums during the song. utter brilliance. all I could do was sit the with my jaw wide open and stare in amazement.

Aenima - If there was one song that rocked the Auditorium, this was the one. it definately rocked the place harder than any of the others.

Sober - I normally just skip sober when it comes up just due to the oversaturation of the song I've heard from radio play after radio play after radio play. but jesus, this totally renewed my faith in the song.

Schism - i watched adam look up at justin and then danny and they all kind of silently acknowledged each other, then they started jamming double time style. badass.

Intermission - The place got so loud it hit the threshold where you cant really hear anything at all. My wife was covering her ears, I was enjoying the few seconds of being deaf.

Was kind of dissapointed that they didnt play the pot only because its my wifes favorite song off the new cd (maybe favorite tool song period) and i wanted her to get as much out of the show as I did (they played many of my favorites).

Security was tight, got a couple flashlights to the face and they pulled some guy into the aisle to search him for a camera...that was a bit distracting, but was to be expected.

And to all those who think everyone should stand to enjoy the show, piss off. If I told you that you arent truly rocking out unless youre banging your head into the floor and punching the guy sitting next to you, you'd tell me the same thing. I've done the whole stand up and rock out thing before and I'll probably do it again this fall. But for this 'special' show, I sat and watched and enjoyed it ( I did stand for the "encores") and I had just as good of a time as you did probably. ;)

And if youre going to tell us where you sat, tell us which row. theres a ton of seats with your seat number, you need the row as well :P

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 08:05 AM
That show was amazing. I was in the first upper box on the left side so we had a great view and we also were able to sit and relax and enjoy the show although we couldnt help but jump up every once and awhile. Also i would have liked to hear the pot but if we all think about it we were the only venue to hear right in two live, which means we were the only group of people to truely experience the majesty of Daney Careys drumming at a peak! I think that that is definately worth the trade off just to see him drum like that! it was simply amazing. Im glad i wore a diaper to that show cuz i crapped myself like 7 times! haha

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 08:15 AM
And i managed to sneak some picture via the wonderful abilities of the handy dandy motorola razr! haha. At the entrance they tell us "Keep it in your pocket" i simply could not resist the temptation to capture that sheer amazement in a picture! i even got a few of maynard sitting down at that intermission sort of thing and a pretty good one of the whole stage but some of them came out half ass cuz i zoomed in i guess. well either way it will make a killer background for my phone haha!

Avongara
05-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Ok, I'll admit I'm OLD (a couple of years older tha Maynard, anyway) and I came to this show to keep an eye on my son and one of his friends (this was their first concert of any kind - they're 14, and tickets to the show were the ONLY thing my son wanted for a birthday present). I brought earplugs. Don't get me wrong - I like Tool. I like a LOT of music people probably won't expect me to like. But I hadn't been to a live show of any kind in eons - no idea what to expect...

WOW!! I never used the earplugs! I was BLOWN AWAY by the musicianship (I was in a bar band in college and I will not say how long ago that was), and the entire production! The people I sat with up in the Gallery were fantastic, and my son and his friend had the time of their lives in their box seats. I was nervous at first because I didn't see a lot of people their age in attendance, but everybody from the people waiting in line to get in, to the people who shared the box with them were GREAT! It was really a terrific experience -- makes me a little bit sad that my son will very soon be too old to have his mom tagging along to shows .... Sigh. But hey, that's life.... I just wanted to post to say that, as a person who really had virtually no idea what to expect, I left the Auditorium Theater extremely impressed with both the band AND the fans. Amazing band, amazing fans!

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 08:23 AM
What was maynard's megaphone for he never seemed to use it? and i ddint notice it disappear off his back? also does anyone have any live recordings for this show? i dont know how someone would manage it but if anyone did please pm me or inform us because id really like to hear it all again! thanks a lot

GullyFoyle
05-15-2006, 08:29 AM
What was maynard's megaphone for he never seemed to use it? and i ddint notice it disappear off his back? also does anyone have any live recordings for this show? i dont know how someone would manage it but if anyone did please pm me or inform us because id really like to hear it all again! thanks a lot
The megaphone was attached to a CB radio (truck driver) type thing and he had it in his hand and talked into the CB. You don't have to actually talk into the megaphone with that attachment. And I guess it dissappeared because he only used the extreme distortion for a few songs.

gf

gkopp
05-15-2006, 09:01 AM
WOW! WOW! WOW!
what an absolutely unbelievable show! I have seen tool one other time, it was in kansas city during there Lateralus tour and it was incredible, but this weekend in Chicago was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. to hear TOOL in a small auditorium like that was absolutley mindblowing. I have been reading all the reviews and it seems people really wanted to hear the pot, which I understand, but for me personally I really wanted to hear 5 songs and got all of them. I wanted to hear Rosetta Stoned above any song at this point and I got it as an opener (keys in to it obviously), I honestly could have heard just that song for the 150 I paid for my ticket at the back of the second balcony. THe other song I wanted to hear so bad was right in two, apparently from what i read we got this in place of the pot and maybe parabola, due to maynard being slightly under the weather, but I would never have noticed if he didn't say anything. This song absolutely brought the house down, the drumming was sick, and honestly at the part we MJK sings "Cutting it all right in Two" I really felt the most ecstasy of my whole life, just such a well put together show, and after those two I really wanted to hear Jambi, Lateralus and Aenima, which all were fucking fantastic. the song lateralus is so amzing to me and to end with a powerful song like aenima was just a perfect way to go out, the crowd was so into it and the vibe was mindblowing. Am i completely off my rocker or was Jimmy between vicarious and Aenima. somebody let me know, now i feel my memory is worse than i thought which is pretty bad. i have heard no mention of it, but swear i remember it between vicarious and aenima.

gkopp
05-15-2006, 09:05 AM
And i managed to sneak some picture via the wonderful abilities of the handy dandy motorola razr! haha. At the entrance they tell us "Keep it in your pocket" i simply could not resist the temptation to capture that sheer amazement in a picture! i even got a few of maynard sitting down at that intermission sort of thing and a pretty good one of the whole stage but some of them came out half ass cuz i zoomed in i guess. well either way it will make a killer background for my phone haha!

hey if you are one who got pictures of this awesome show, might as well share them with all these fans, right?

yermammasnutts
05-15-2006, 09:09 AM
This theater was great, I couldn't see a bad seat anywhere. We were upper box 7, It was like I was watching them in my livingroom. Amazing seats!!!! I agree the sound in the first part of the show was low and muffled and the rest of the band was drowning Maynard. It did get better. Danny has to be one of the best drummers in the world. Every beat he hits is moving and I couldn't take my eyes off his playing. Someone posted that he looks effortless, I have to disagree. Adam looks effortless, Danny is working back there, for sure.
I have always wondered what it would be like to watch a tool show in a opera type setting, meaning the crowd and venue. I don't think the crowd had so much energy. I wasn't feeling the love at all. People around us were very dull and bored looking at times. Like they were all at a funeral. It's a bittersweet thing I guess. No mosh pit, good thing, people actually listening to the music, great. But the Chi town people lacked that certain something. when we saw them on there last mini-tour in Detroit, we had the worst seats, we literally were touching the ceiling. But that whole theater was literally moving. I went to the potty and the floor was moving from the energy in that place. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too!
Loved the Coby Shoes on Danny, He was big pimpin some serious Laker Garb that night.

yermammasnutts
05-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Ok, I'll admit I'm OLD (a couple of years older tha Maynard, anyway) and I came to this show to keep an eye on my son and one of his friends (this was their first concert of any kind - they're 14, and tickets to the show were the ONLY thing my son wanted for a birthday present). I brought earplugs. Don't get me wrong - I like Tool. I like a LOT of music people probably won't expect me to like. But I hadn't been to a live show of any kind in eons - no idea what to expect...

WOW!! I never used the earplugs! I was BLOWN AWAY by the musicianship (I was in a bar band in college and I will not say how long ago that was), and the entire production! The people I sat with up in the Gallery were fantastic, and my son and his friend had the time of their lives in their box seats. I was nervous at first because I didn't see a lot of people their age in attendance, but everybody from the people waiting in line to get in, to the people who shared the box with them were GREAT! It was really a terrific experience -- makes me a little bit sad that my son will very soon be too old to have his mom tagging along to shows .... Sigh. But hey, that's life.... I just wanted to post to say that, as a person who really had virtually no idea what to expect, I left the Auditorium Theater extremely impressed with both the band AND the fans. Amazing band, amazing fans!
I think my husband and I were next to your kids, they were great. I even took a few pictures for him,because I was in front. I have a 12 year old son who will be going in the fall. His first concert should be Tool, I think everyones first should be Tool. Glad your boys had fun.

toolfanDF
05-15-2006, 09:21 AM
2nd time seeing TOOL, and probably the best by far. I don't feel like posting a fucking manifesto b/c everyone else has pretty much summed up the "awesomeness" of this show. I had a great fucking time, well worth the insane amount of money I dished out, can't wait until the fall tour.

To the guy who got hooked up with the backstage pass and met Adam, dude that is fucking awesome. Kudos to the couple who scored 3rd row seats two hours before showtime. Cheers, friends.

peripheral
05-15-2006, 09:33 AM
WOW! WOW! WOW!
Am i completely off my rocker or was Jimmy between vicarious and Aenima. somebody let me know, now i feel my memory is worse than i thought which is pretty bad. i have heard no mention of it, but swear i remember it between vicarious and aenima.
i don't know if you are 'off your rocker' but they did not play jimmy. look at the first post for this show and any others to see the official setlist. don't think they've played that tune since the aenima tour, but i am sure somebody will correct me if i am mistaken.

batcountry007
05-15-2006, 09:44 AM

how can you reciprocate the energy they give out when you sit down the entire time....you don't hear about performers saying "WOW!! That guy in the front row, I'm glad i've dedicated my life's work to making music this guy can sit down to." YOU DON'T SIT AT A ROCK SHOW!!! (unless you are handicapped and in a designated handicapable seating area) maybe all you sitters can get up early for the barry manilow tix that are going on sale tomorrow morning....apparently that is more your speed...anyways...the performance was great despite starting over 30 minutes late and ending on a short note....nice to be the first show to see right in two and an extended schism...thank you maynard for not cancelling the show like you did in normal, illinois the last time round...see ya down the spiral.

cc0413707
05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Just curious if anyone thought that it was amazing when the band sat down for a break and everyone just went completely nuts. The collective stomping of the crowd towards the end of that break was enough to seemingly give me the feeling that the gallery section I had, which was the top level in the back with only one row behind me (my seat was 39 J), was slightly moving.

I made the mistake of losing my mind a little before the show and after picking up 2 beers I had to stumble around and try to find my way to my seat. After asking probably 10 ushers where to go, I found myself on the 6th floor and had towalk up some more stairs to the very top overhang. The view was actually pretty good and gave me the felling that I was looking more down at the band than anything but it was also somewhat scary. Not that I am scared of heights but I couldn't seem to keep my balance and was very happy that no one stood in that section. The little bit of uneasiness that my seat gave me just made the experience more unique in my mind.

All together I could not have asked for a beter experience and I am curious if anyone else who found themselves at the very top had a similar experience or not.

peripheral
05-15-2006, 10:04 AM
looking up to the top balcony from the orchestra level almost made me dizzy. it looked like it was 100' high...almost as high as i was. anyways....
there was a post here lat sat night, early sunday am by a guy who recorded the show. before this post (mine) is deleted, i was hoping to find out who that was so i could trade with them. thanks. or, if YOU (reading this) want to trade the 5/13/06 show for an old one, lemme know. cool? cool!

LAGEAR1
05-15-2006, 10:06 AM
The show was good, but not up to par for a TOOL show IMO. Don't get me wrong any Tool show is great, but this one was not as good as some of the previous times I had seen them (maybe because it's a warm-up tour, or maynard's cold).

We got to hear some extended versions, and of course Right in 2 was awesome. I still felt we were shorted a song, and I have never seen the Patient live(or the pot). So I was a little dissapointed with the shortened setlist.

That being said Tool is the best live band around, thus they have high expectation from their fans. They didn't disappointed with the quality, or effort in their shows. I just can't get enough of them. They could play for 3 hours, and I would still want more. I wish they would have released several DVDs by now, and also wish they would release bootlegs of their live shows, as Pearl Jam has done. This way we have something to remeber these shows by, besides looking at posts of the sets they played. Those of us long time fans are very loyal to tool, and again tool doesn't dissapoint with their live performances. However I think they need to provide us fans with something more. Again this is just my opinion. And of course I can't wait to see them when thay come back to the US.

Long live TOOL!!

liquidblue
05-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Did anyone get any photos to post? Still looking for that audio.... I've got memories to protect here!

gf

I got some photos and videos
i think you need to download them for the sound
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/liquidblue_1982/

gkopp
05-15-2006, 11:08 AM
so will sopmeone help my memory, was the encore just vicarious and aenima or was there a song in between, i could have sworn jimmy was between these, maybe that is just my memory playing tricks on me, just hoping to hear a response from someone who was there

TOOL_Rules
05-15-2006, 11:25 AM
so will sopmeone help my memory, was the encore just vicarious and aenima or was there a song in between, i could have sworn jimmy was between these, maybe that is just my memory playing tricks on me, just hoping to hear a response from someone who was there

No Jimmy, just those two encore songs. And they were great, weren't they? 9th TOOL concert. What a show!! We were in 10th row on Adam's side and it was just so cool to be that close. Almost hate to say $300 was worth it. But it was. Amazing band. Danny is always a beast, but wow what a bass player Justin Chancellor has become. The pre-encore break was the coolest thing I have ever seen. I hope they continue to do that. It gives fans a chance to see them together communicating without instruments, but still on stage; sort of like homage to their fans. It's really cool. They truly do appreciate their rabid fans. It is fun after all these years watching their legend grow to the point where many of us thought it might get to. It's good for the band when your favorite group becomes an "arena act", but it was a rare treat to see them in such an intimate setting like the Auditorium Theater. Beautiful venue. The big painting up in the balcony read "To melodious spring time first born of life and love". I think the boys are ready for Europe and we know the Euros are ready for them. I look forward to reading the festival reviews while waiting for them to come back home this fall. Right In Two: It was awesome to see them play that song live for the first time. It's an instant TOOL classic IMO.

SpiralOut92
05-15-2006, 01:15 PM
No... I believe several people have already responded saying Jimmy was not played. I'm not sure how you could imagine an entire song like that being played, because it was not. No jimmy. just vicarious and aenima.

Bonnie Gross
05-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Dirty stup got me onto the orch and low and behold lady in front of me caught a skin. GREAT catch maam. Had the purple star and a sig so was way cool. Lat. is a moneymaker for them, an instant crowdpleaser...and thus why they work it.

First I want to express my gratitude to Tool for playing in such an intimate classy venue. I am completely humbled by this experience for it is one I will never forget. I've seen Tool three times and they all blow me away but at this one you could really see and experience the band. I did my share of rocking out but I also got the chance to see them so well and soak it all in. So if it seemed like people were relativly mellow, maybe it was because it was alomost like an out of body experience. So anyway I was the lady that caught Danny's drum skin. Orch row x seat 309. Tool to me is more than just a band. Their music resinates within me. So when I did the dive into the rail and scraped up my stomach to catch it, believe me I soo appreciate this token of Tool. I loved it when they all sat down and the crowd roared for more. It was a great chance to show how much they are loved. We couldn't of had a better concert experience especially only paying $66.66. It seems as though it all came together for us just like the 7 point star on Danny's Drum head. And by way, I was also sick Maynard. Chicago has that affect on me too.

eulogist
05-15-2006, 02:15 PM
man it was an amazing show but it went to fast and first balcony wasn't the best place...i still can't believe i saw them though...amazing

happyclam
05-15-2006, 03:03 PM

You were sitting directly behind me.
Great Show

theprosperone
05-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Strange, I think peoples audio experience really varied from seat to seat.

About 15 rows back in the first balcony and I could hear pretty much everything perfectly. The only time I had trouble hearing Maynard was when the whole crowd was singing over him on quiet parts.

vokour15
05-15-2006, 03:49 PM
7th show!!got back to GA last night. had orchestra FF 206. great show, great sound.
Right in Two was really good! Danny Carey, once again was amazing, Justin
is a bad man! everybody was right on, from what i heard. great venue, Lateralus
was the shit! got my ticket trough ticketmaster.

GullyFoyle
05-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Strange, I think peoples audio experience really varied from seat to seat.

About 15 rows back in the first balcony and I could hear pretty much everything perfectly. The only time I had trouble hearing Maynard was when the whole crowd was singing over him on quiet parts.

Well, then answer to us all, what in the hell maynard was saying when he was talking. All anyone on here heard was "I always get sick in chicago." There was a lot of talking in the middle that no one could make out.

gf

Schwann
05-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Back from Chi-town!!!!!!!!!!
The show was the shit. I can't explain in the English language how bad I was fiending for a live Tool performance. I really had no idea how bad I was Jonesin' for a great live show. All the shows I've been to in the last year have been a little lackluster.
The small amount of extra loot I had to pay was so fucking worth it! (Sucks for the guy I bought them from, he could have made a killing if he didn't sling 'em last second!)
I was correct as per my anticipation the full moon show would be slightly different. This was the 1st time RIGHT IN TWO was played live. Sounded album perfect...but better. It was traded for the slot where they had been playing the PATIENT, which I thought was a sweet trade. Not that I don't like that song it's just I've already heard it live and RIGHT IN TWO had never been played live until this point. Kinda special. Sell blood, plasma, sperm, eggs, whatever you have to score a ticket to one of the remaining US Dates. I think I might be able to wait until September now, but would have been dying had I not seen them last night. Sorry to rant but I still can't get over how good Jambi and Vicarious sound live. Infuckingcredible. The bass is still bouncing around in my chest somehow...
To all the beautiful people I met while I was up there, thanks for dealing with my toxicity level, as I am not usually that fucked up...But a good show is a good occasion...I'll be straight next time, maybe...Anybody playing pool at the bar right across the street b4 the show hit me up on MYSPACE (lookup Schwann in Cincinnati)If anyone wants to go to one of the arena date tours with me holla back. I'll probably tear up 3 or 4 of the closest cities to the 'Nati that they play so let me know what's up. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theprosperone
05-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Well, then answer to us all, what in the hell maynard was saying when he was talking. All anyone on here heard was "I always get sick in chicago." There was a lot of talking in the middle that no one could make out.

gf

Paraphrasing here...

"It seems like I get sick everytime I come to Chicago. Maybe I'm allergic? I think a lot of smiling faces will help me feel better, hugs too."

Then he also said something like, "I apologize again for the sore throat. Of course to fix a sore throat that means no touring and no singing and that is not an option."

He said a few other things which I can't remember right now but I'll edit this post when I get home and listen to the show again...I believe the other thing he said was that Montana would be a good place to live, ya know, like, stategically speaking. I believe this was right before Aenima so I'm sure you get the joke. Then a couple of times he thanked everyone for coming out to the show, I think he mentioned the new album and also said "see ya next time, byeeee" while waving to us.

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 05:20 PM
I will defnately share my pics once i figure out how to get them online haha im not exactly computer savvy haha

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
http://i1.tinypic.com/zup3b6.jpg

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 05:26 PM
http://i2.tinypic.com/znq0e0.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/znq2dh.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/znq3k5.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/znq5h1.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/znq8ua.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/znq98g.jpg

Drawn Under
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
The one posted by itself first is my personal favorite becuase it encompasses all of the band. Enjoy the pics my fellow fans!

PAR1SkAtEr
05-15-2006, 05:36 PM
First Tool concert and the best concert I have been to. I was in Orchestra Row T, seat 403.

scrody312
05-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Balc1, Row M, seat 502. What a show!

01. Lost Keys

02. Rosetta Stoned

"Chicago. I don't know what it is about this town but everytime I get here I get sick, must be allergic. Maybe some warm smiles will cure me. Or lots of noise."

03. Stinkfist

04. 46 & 2

"We had a new album come out, not sure if you're aware of that. Apparently it did very well. And we have you to thank for that. Thank you very much. New album means new songs, hence, the next one."

05. Jambi

06. Schism

07. Right in Two

08. Sober

"Thank you very much for attending this warm up show. We'll be back in the late summer for a full on tour. Not this intimate, however. Thanks a lot. See you again soon. Bye."

09. Lateralus

10. Vicarious

"Once again thanks for coming down. Apologize for being ill and having a sore throat, but, I don't want to be ill and have a sore throat, that means not touring and not singing, and that's just not an option. So thank you very much for coming down, thank you very much for helping us sell those records, thank you for helping me buy land in Montana stuffed with all kinds of spare batteries and guns and cattle and what not. You know why, right? Montana? It's a good spot. Tactically speaking."

11. Aenema

Ceiling_Shot
05-15-2006, 06:06 PM
So glad I came from St Louis to my 5th TOOL show....spread out over so many years. I saw them when they first played in NYC back in the early 90's. This band....this enigma of talent that gives birth to a lifetime of audible confections....made me feel better about the finanancial anal raping I took to be dead center row E (305/306).

Everyone knows Maynard was sick....but the sonic diamonds piercing my wanting ears made me glad I could yet again see my generation's Pink Floyd. From where I was, the sound was mind altering....as evidenced by my slow and embarassing tears during "46 & 2" when Danny spoke to all of us during his brief, yet spiritually influential drum solo fill....I'm a good drummer....Danny is simply not human. If he accidentally shit while walking I would pick it up and eat it like some life giving fruit.

E..U..P..H..O..R..I..A We all felt it...so glad I've had the same license plate for 10 years now......"46N2L". And as they embark on this tour, the world has only 2 choices regarding TOOL.....accept them or excorcise them....because they sure as fuck can't ignore them.

jadedpagan
05-15-2006, 06:16 PM
My wife and I flew to Chicago from Baton Rouge for the show(my first), and it was worth every penny I spent. Our seats were 1st balcony, row A, seats 501 and 502. The tickets were purchased through stubhub and cost more than airfare, but again, worth every penny. The view was perfect as was the sound. I am now looking forward to the arena tour. I hope to see them a few times during it if possible.

GeorgeinNY
05-15-2006, 06:35 PM
This was my 4th time seeing Tool, saw them at MSG 2 times in 2001 and at Coachella two weeks ago.

I was sitting in 2nd Balcony, left section, 4th row, on the aisle. I got my ticket on Ticketmaste, 47 minutes after start of sale when they suddenly released "obstructed view" seats. I was the guy who threw the plastic cup at the guy in the front row of the balcony, who stood up when the first notes hit and of course others behind you had to stand up to see anything. Sorry dude if youre reading this but you blocked the whole sections view, though you prob didnt hear people yelling for you to sit down. Actually I think the cup missed that guy, but anyway he got the message I guess because everyone sat down about 5 seconds after that. The entire section sat until the last song, let me focus on the music real good...

Funny things in my section- a dude with dreads who had nice sized baggie of pot and was lighing it up before the show, dude you have no fear...
The guy sitting right next to me- didnt ask him but I think he was im'ing the set list, cause the phone was on after each song and he was typing. I found it funny.
Weird things- people going out to get beer in the middle of the show? WTF you dont mind missing a song just for some brews? One guy screaming to his friends on the floor, he was in the section on my right, the same guy letting everyone know he paid 450 bucks for his seat(congratulations), at the top of his lungs, haha.

Not mentioned yet-
Led Zeppelin "When The Levee Breaks" was one of the warm up tunes, nice tribute to Chi...
Cypress Hill "Insane in the Brain" was another. The first cheers went up when "Frankenstein Head" came on.

Musically wise, yes the sound up where we were was not the greatest(not as clear as at Coachella) probably because the ceiling gets low up there, plus we were sitting way up there, probably easily the equivalent of sitting in the high level of a sports arena.

Loved the extended arrangement, and the fact we got Right in Two. Now if we get Wings/10,000 Days in next few shows? I said it already, they could play the whole album and it would be great. Anyway I digress. You should have seen Maynard dancing during "Right in Two", during the fast part. If Maynard ever takes the center stage again he could absolutely have the crowd eating out of his hand, as if he didnt already...
Maynard did say something about them coming back in the fall for a tour, also he thanked people for helping out on songs, this was toward the end(though I could be off on the details).

Anyway it was a great show, better than Coachella two weeks ago. On this night, Tool was the greatest rock n roll band in the world... Also I must say I definitely got the feeling that the band was kind of blown away with the love they were getting from the audience at the end, they seemed to be genuinely moved. Add to this the great album sales, and I think the band has pretty much achieved what they set out to achieve, and it was great for us to share in that as fans.

Other details- security was tight as far as cameras/cellphones, but no metal detectors. Pant legs do get patted down. Security is noticing the LCD screens light up, so the obvious advice is either disabler the screen, or tape over it so when it lights you dont give yourself away, just point and shoot. Anyway I didnt want to chance getting stopped with my camera so left it at the hotel. Not too many people were taking a chance either, from what I saw...

Finally- Chicago is a great town I had a blast, it was my third time there and its a great city, not as good as New York, but great... And never mind the heroin addicts stopping you on the street to "just ask a question"(they were much more aggressive than in NYC...)
Just remembered, final digression:
Ok you did the Field Museum, Science and Industry, Art Institute, but did anyone check out Andy Warhol exhibit at Contemporary Art? That exhibit blew me away, especially the car crash pictures(which just stays with you), and girl fallen from 86th story on top of the car, that was HEAVY stuff to check out before a Tool concert.

furyofnature
05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
This was my first time getting to see Tool after being a fan of them for many years and I have to say that it was the greatest live show I have ever been to! I would have loved to have it last a little longer, but I have no complaints! The show was amazing even if Maynard was sick with a sore throat. Is it true that he always gets sick when he comes to Chicago? Must be our crappy weather!

Dj Consequence
05-15-2006, 08:02 PM
I always find it funny when the Stinkfist bit fools everyone.

Me too, the sad thing is at the show in Minneapolis they didn't do the extended version so I was actually the one who got fooled, I felt like a Tool :-(

Dj Consequence
05-16-2006, 10:04 AM
me thinks it is called stinkfist (white lines)

ummm...what? I know it's called stinkfist...I thought that's what we were talking about. Also I know they don't do it to "trick" people, it's still funny watching people headbanging so hard only to realize they have to wait longer for the explosion of greatness.

aschaefer04
05-16-2006, 11:24 AM
was there any ga at this concert? like for people who had orch seats? cuz im seeing radiohead there in june and i have orch tickets, and i was wonder if thats actually g.a. or if there is actually seats.

100% seating. if you sit in the orch you'll probably end up standing the whole show like me.

peripheral
05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
ummm...what? I know it's called stinkfist...I thought that's what we were talking about. Also I know they don't do it to "trick" people, it's still funny watching people headbanging so hard only to realize they have to wait longer for the explosion of greatness.
no...you missed the point of the post. that version of stinkfist is called 'white lines'. that is what tool calls it. i sincerely hope i am not the only person in here that knows this already. if so, i won't bother injecting in these forums anymore. and by the way DJ CJ, your welcome.

wurlyburly1
05-16-2006, 11:36 AM
did anyone else dig the meshuggah before they went on. before the evil joe skit. i was psyched. meshuggah sounded awesome on that theatres system.

Does anyone know what other music was playing before the show over the speakers? There were some kick ass tunes. Anyone know which Meshuggah tune/album? I am not familiar with much of their stuff.

AddRokk
05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know what other music was playing before the show over the speakers? There were some kick ass tunes. Anyone know which Meshuggah tune/album? I am not familiar with much of their stuff.

it was off their "catch 33" album. which is one continuous epic. check it out. its entrancing.

Trevor23
05-16-2006, 03:29 PM
traveled from memphis to see this show, and it was worth every penny. I think they sounded great. I'm really happy that they played Right in Two. Can't wait to see them again.

Danny is amazing. I wish he'd give a clinic in Memphis.

avo
05-16-2006, 08:33 PM
8th row... technically 3rd row... not including 5 folding chair rows that the "fans" that bought thousand dollar tickets or got mommy and daddy to get the tix were sitting in... right side, end seat, right in front of adam. 596,294,593 tool show... maynard's sore throat wasn't noticeable while I was there... sounded great. Setlist was good... only improvement would have been if it was neverending. I'll compare it to the philly show tomorrow... and if I'm lucky... the ny show on saturday too.

Getting ticket online at 10:00:01 on a saturday morning for chicago show: $72
Flight to Chicago via Southwest: $157
Train from sister's house to the city: $5
Taxi from union station to the theater: $8
Beer at the theater: $30
Seeing Tool again, meeting some cool people, almost blowing left ear drum, throat cold, and strained neck/upper back muscles.... f'n priceless

on to the philly show!

GeorgeinNY
05-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Just wanted to add, this thread and other threads- Im hearing a lot about people getting hearing damage, PEOPLE- please dont be stupid getting hearing damage at these concerts! Im 36 years old and got some severe tinnitis/hearing damage from being ignorant about the dangers when I was in my teens/twenties. Now I wouldnt even dream of going to Tool without my earplugs.

Fucking up your hearing for rest of your life just to see Tool without earplugs = worthless.

gunslinger69
05-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Show was incredible. ( my 6th ) I got to hear right in two!!!!!!!!, ( my favorite ) and the rest was mind numbing to say the least. The crowd was extremely cool as well. I had lower box seats, but couldn't resist going up front as soon as the music started. I apologise to whoever I was near up front. ( I may have been a little expressive of my excitement, but wtf it has been 5 years ) Security was kind enough to remind me of where my seats were located. My only problem was it was too short. Cool people, awesome music, great ( but hazy ) memories. Can't wait for the fall. I will be sure to catch at least three more shows when they come back around. KICK ASSS SHOW

supersloth
05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
This was my first Tool show and I think "Amazing" is pretty much the only word I have to describe it, but let me start from the beginning.

I have had a best friend since middle school, he's the guy who introduced me to Tool and a lot of other great music. To be honest their was just a certain period of time where I didn't "get" Tool. I liked it, but I think theirs a difference between someone who likes it, and "gets" it. Well anyways I've listened to Tool for a few years and now I love it and I get it, and I was really looking forward to my first show.

My friend moved to Chicago after our freshmen year of college. We've kept in touch since then and I had even been out there once before (I'm from Albuquerque, NM). Usually in May we try to go to E3 in LA and check out all the new video games and stuff that are coming down the pipeline, but due to finals and other stuff we weren't able to attend this year. Little did we know how lucky that would be for us. My friends uncle who he lives with pulls thru and comes up with 4 tickets on the Thursday before the show, a Thursday which would have had us in LA had we gone to E3. I just finished my last final an hour before when I get the phone call to go. Within ten minutes I had it cleared to take off work and bought plane tickets online. After finishing everything at work in a huge rush on Thursday and Friday, I get on a plane Saturday morning at five am to see Tool that evening. I don't know how but I even managed to get a window seat with a two day notice.

I get in to Chicago around Noon local time, pick up some Portillos, change and we head down town. An amazing series of events I am still surprised we pulled off.

I have to say the venue was absolutely amazing on every level. The staff was nice, courteous and professional, they even let us into the venue, let us pick up our merch and then let us go out the smokers exit to put it back in the Jeep and come back in so we weren't holding onto it the whole show.

Once we got back in we had just amazing seats. Orchestra pit row P seats 304-307. It put us right about eye level with the band. The sound in the venue was amazing. It was loud enough that you could 'feel' it, but never enough to be distorted. Everyone was way chill the whole show. I never had any problems with anyone and even the guy who was pretty tall in front of us seemed to make an effort to make sure he was in between us rather than in front of us so we could see well.

Now, the show.

Lostkeys and Rosetta Stoned are a great energetic way to start the show, I really enjoyed how they kicked everything off with it, and the length really lets you know your in for the fuckin show of your life.

Stinkfist was great just cause everyone knew it well and got really into it. Forty six and Two was amazing as well and really intense.

I loved hearing Jambi live, Adam seemed to be having some talk box issues for a few moments but it happens and wasn't really that bad, my friends cousin barely even noticed.

Schism extended was really awesome to hear, I saw it on all the set lists but didn't know it was extended so that was a pretty awesome surprise.

Right in Two was the surprise of the show. I had looked at all the other set lists prior to the show, so I wasn't expecting it and that was awesome. Especially since Right in Two has become my current favorite track off the new album, I just really love the progressive build up and Danny totally killed it, it was amazing.

Sober was really good, it was nice to get an older track in there. Lateralus was the highlight of the show for me though. It was just perfect in every aspect. And when the 'fire spiral' from the album art came on animated as Maynard was sining 'Spiral Out', that was just too good, it really helped me understand why everyone says their shows are just a step ahead of everyone else.

Vicarious sounded even better live than on the album. It lacked a little of that 'dry' sound on the vocals that is very apparent in the album, I actually liked it even better that way, and it made it fit perfect with Ænema which was an amazing song to leave on.

Well it was great to see an amazing show with really cool people, a great friend, in a cool new place and a spectacular venue. I'm back in Abq now and need to catch up on all my work but it was a perfect experience and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Oh yeah, before I forget, can anyone name any of the music that played before the show? A lot of that was really great and pretty diverse and I'd like to get my hands on some of it, thanks.

ogtjtb462
05-17-2006, 11:46 AM
The most amazing show I've ever witnessed in my life. Blew away the first time I saw them in Indianapolis. I had the perfect seat for a drummer! Second balcony, first row, right in the middle! Could see everything that Danny was doing! That guy is a MACHINE!! Inspiring!

tool462ar
05-17-2006, 12:45 PM
WOW, 17th TOOL show and this one was as amazing as all the others. I cant believe that anyone could complain about any part of this show.
I would pay anything to see them in a venue like this.

peripheral
05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=GeorgeinNY]
Finally- Chicago is a great town I had a blast, it was my third time there and its a great city, not as good as New York, but great... And never mind the heroin addicts stopping you on the street to "just ask a question"(they were much more aggressive than in NYC...)

is any town as good as new york? also, i am proud of our aggressive heroin addicts; it keeps uppity tourists in their place when visiting our fine city.

GeorgeinNY
05-17-2006, 04:35 PM
peripheral- only one comes to mind- London, England, if you havent been there I highly recommend it. The big difference between Chi and NYC is by 10-11 that whole central area pretty much empties out, not nearly as much happening at night as New York or London. Magnificent Mile does have 5th Ave beat for shopping though, for sure...

yep, the addicts had the hotels entry and exit points staked out pretty well, they actually follow you down the block asking for money... I was staying at the Hyatt Chicago on E. Wacker right on the river, I guess in the middle of "the loop".

btw I discovered a very cool place to get some breakfast in the loop- "West Egg Cafe", look it up, had the "pork chops and eggs" breakfast damn good and relatively cheap ($8)

If Tool comes back to CHi on a Saturday in the fall, Im definitely going....

Patient5602
05-18-2006, 05:24 AM
I was among about 3,000 other lucky people that got to be in Chicago last Saturday for Tool's show at the Auditorium Theatre. This place was right downtown, at Congress and Michigan, three or four blocks from the Art Institute. Great location, great place to see a show, especially a Tool show. I got into Chicago around 4pm and had a few hours on my own to wander about the city. I just walked around, went into bookstores and record stores and other places that looked interesting. I went and got something to eat before the show, and got in line at the theatre around 6:30, with the show scheduled to start around 8. I got in fairly quickly, got in the merch line, scored a fucking awesome poster, and found my seat. I resisted the urge to go have a cocktail b/c I still had to drive home that night, and chilled out in my seat, anxiously awaiting my favorite band.

Finally, around 8:35, Justin strolls out on stage and starts fucking with his bass. The place goes wild. Adam follows, picks up his guitar, and starts "Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)," the intro to "Rosetta Stoned." Danny walks out and takes his place behind his monster kit. This fucking thing looked even bigger than the set I saw him play in 2002. Finally, the Lost Keys breaks, Maynard comes out in jeans, a huge dinner plate of a belt buckle, and cowboy boots, with a megaphone strapped to his back and starts the song. "Alrighty then...picture this if you will..."

What began then and lasted for the next 90 minutes was a sonic assault that was unlike any concert I'd been to. "Rosetta" gave way to "Stinkfist." Prior to "Stinkfist," Maynard announced that he was sick, but you wouldn't have been able to tell if he hadn't told us. The only differences were the fact that he held off in a couple songs, and used something to modulate his voice during "Schism." We got the extended version of "Stinkfist" where the band feedbacks into the beginning, completley jams out the middle, and gives us the intro sample right before "I'll keep digging..." A few people missed it when Maynard dropped out before the jam, but they all caught up later. "Stinkfist" gave way to a powerful version of "Forty-Six and Two" that was set off by a short but still amazing solo by Danny. Following "46&2" came the second (or third, depending on how you count "Lost Keys") new song of the night, "Jambi." I'm hadn't been turned on to this song until recently, but it fucking kills live. The thrash riff intro is tits live. After they started "Schism" which is admittedly not my favorite Tool song, I wondered what happened to "The Pot" which had been played at every concert prior. I would find out what happened to "The Pot" shortly. "Schism" has a fucking fantastic double-time feedback/bass solo from Justin before he broke into the regular solo. Regardless of my feelings, it's cool to hear live, especially like that. There was a bit of an extended break after "Schism" and everyone (sans Justin) began playing their respective electronic devices, and broke into something familiar (which I would later remember to be the intro to "Intension") and then all of a sudden Adam began "Right In Two." This has been my absolute favorite song from 10,000 Days ever since the album came out and I got to hear them play it live for the first time ever! I'll admit, I was a little teary-eyed during the intro, but all that changed watching Adam and Justin thrash through the song's middle and ending. Fucking incredible.

I could have left after that and been perfectly happy, but there was more. A mini jam led into "Sober". I usually skip this one at home, but I'd never heard it live before and it kills live (other than everyone singing every fucking word). "Lateralus" was next, a ten minute journey into the fucked up world of crazy time signatures. Maynard, who was fairly reserved most of the night (only kicks with the cowboy boots and a few pelvic thrusts), went apeshit during this song. Awesome to watch him throughout "Lateralus." Following that song, the members of the band all came down and sat on Maynard's platform to soak in the applause and cheers and everything, before they broke into the encore.

"Vicarious" was first, and this is another killer live. Danny plays the xylophone sounds in the intro on his keyboard and keys in the buildup, and Adam and Justin take off with this song. Such a powerful ending. Maynard then thanked us for allowing us to let him purchase land in Montana, since it's "such a good location, tactically speaking," and began "Aenema." "Fuck Rupert Murdoch and fuck all his clones..." was substituted, which is fitting, considering he owns the world. Maynard ended the song with a pelvic thrust, and we were let back out into the cold night.

For those of you playing at home:

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty-Six and Two
Jambi
Schism
RIGHT IN TWO
Sober
Lateralus
--------------------------
Vicarious
Aenema

This was different than the previous Tool concerts I'd attended (Indianapolis 9/8/03 and Indianapolis 10/21/04) in the fact that it wasn't such an intense spiritual experience as those two shows were for me. Yes, this was a collection of greatest hits, so to speak, but it wasn't the same, and that's certainly not to say that the band was bad or the concert was bad. It was different, and different is good. Instead of hiding in the shadows and trying to convey some sort of message, it was just four guys on stage rocking out, having fun, and allowing the crowd to have the same kind of fun. I didn't feel like my head had exploded afterwards. I just felt like I had seen a great fucking concert, and I most certainly had. I can't wait until they come back around later this year.

peripheral
05-18-2006, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Patient5602]
This was different than the previous Tool concerts I'd attended (Indianapolis 9/8/03 and Indianapolis 10/21/04)

just a minor edit on your post: i was at both of the shows you are referring to (my 1st and 5th respectively), but they were 9/8/01 and 10/21/02.

RandomEmbrace
05-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Orch Row F Seats 502 & 503

all righty then: flew from orlando for the show... this was my 2nd show/wife’s 1st. being so close to them was surreal to say the least... maynard is not real... he’s manufactured by the band’s unified psychic power which is the channeling tool. I truly think that’s the case... is that what’s happening here?

Monkeys
05-18-2006, 08:57 PM
This was a great show. Although, I can't see why anyone would get mad at someone standing. Well, actually, that happened to me once at an APC show. I got mad. But I can respect that this guy I am referencing was standing.

I was in Gallery A . . . on the farthest seat to the right. If you were in that section, you may rememeber me falling a couple times as I "danced". There wasn't much room to "dance", but I made due. The guys behind me were nice. The ladies to my left were also nice. All mentioned parties stood the entire show, but did not "dance" or dance. My buddy and I have been to 5? shows and this one was comparable to our first at the '96 Lollapalooza (which also featured Snoop Dogg and Devo). We were spotted as "Tool fans". It was the aforementioned ladies' first show and they mentioned that they had spent "rent money" to buy their tickets. Good for them. I have a feeling Tool doesn't like the Midwest much. Danny wore his Laker's jersey again . . from its color, I don't believe he washes it very often. Or perhaps he gets it dry cleaned.

On a lighter note, if you do happen to see an act, musical or otherwise, at the Auditorium Theatere in Chicago, bring smokeless tobacco, as smoking is strictly prohibited by carcinogen fearing ushers. Their concern for clean air is so strong that they thought it necessary to bowl me over (amid my "dancing") to remove 3 supposed smokers. After they had their smoke-free talking-to, they distrupted my "dancing" once more (x3).

But hey, at least they were standing.

Lets get into why a rock concert is typically held on a lawn or general admission venue, shall we? Aside from the obvious answer of "it's roomier" . . . it behooves one to consider that it allows everyone the choice of sitting or standing. Why are there chairs at the Auditorium Theatere? For sitting of course! Well, at least during Columbia College's renditions of Brigadoon. See, life is about choices. It seems your standing-upright fearing mother made the wrong one somewhere around the 1st or 2nd trimester. I kid, I kid . . . but seriously.

Monkeys throwing cups at Monkeys . . .

Cycloz
05-20-2006, 12:53 PM
This was a great show. Although, I can't see why anyone would get mad at someone standing. Well, actually, that happened to me once at an APC show. I got mad. But I can respect that this guy I am referencing was standing.

On a lighter note, if you do happen to see an act, musical or otherwise, at the Auditorium Theatere in Chicago, bring smokeless tobacco, as smoking is strictly prohibited by carcinogen fearing ushers. Their concern for clean air is so strong that they thought it necessary to bowl me over (amid my "dancing") to remove 3 supposed smokers. After they had their smoke-free talking-to, they distrupted my "dancing" once more (x3).

But hey, at least they were standing.

Lets get into why a rock concert is typically held on a lawn or general admission venue, shall we? Aside from the obvious answer of "it's roomier" . . . it behooves one to consider that it allows everyone the choice of sitting or standing. Why are there chairs at the Auditorium Theatere? For sitting of course! Well, at least during Columbia College's renditions of Brigadoon. See, life is about choices. It seems your standing-upright fearing mother made the wrong one somewhere around the 1st or 2nd trimester. I kid, I kid . . . but seriously.

Monkeys throwing cups at Monkeys . . .

Haha that reminds me of seeing Floyd at Camp Randall in 94' when me and a few buddies plunked down $150 for front row dead center (man that was a steal considering I payed 130 for 2nd balcony Tool tix).

Anyways, the people directly behind us told us ti sit down and after we refused took it as far as getting security to try to get us to sit down, to which our reply was, "This is f'ng Pink Floyd, we're in the front row, we payed good money we'll stand if we want too... I mean look around man there's about 70,000 other people doing the same damn thing!"

Well, they left us alone but after the show I could hear the b*tch that was trying to get us to sit down mumbles to her bf/husband something to the effect of, "Oh honey, I'm so glad you made me come along, it was really cool, I loved the lasers". Wanted to shout in her ear "They opened with Astronomy Domine you b*tch" Hahaha
Man, I've never wanted to punch someone so bad (and definitely the only time in my life I've ever had the desire to punch a girl in the kisser)

I could just imagine their conversation from earlier in the day:

BF/Husband: Hey I scored some great 2nd row seats to Pink Floyd you wanna go with me?
B*tch: Pink Floyd? Who's he?

peripheral
05-20-2006, 01:25 PM
i am not too bright, but in regard to the auditorium being a nonsmoking facility, i believe the potential for fire is much more of a concern than it is for having clean air. i saw plenty of smoke being exhaled throughout the orchestra level, but i am sure it was not tobacco.

Monkeys
05-20-2006, 02:26 PM
i am not too bright, but in regard to the auditorium being a nonsmoking facility, i believe the potential for fire is much more of a concern than it is for having clean air. i saw plenty of smoke being exhaled throughout the orchestra level, but i am sure it was not tobacco.

What's more important than clean air?

Either way, once their smoking ceased, I noticed it made the show sound cleaner. Clean sound . . . clean air . . . don't we deserve both?

peripheral
05-20-2006, 02:31 PM
What's more important than clean air?

Either way, once their smoking ceased, I noticed it made the show sound cleaner. Clean sound . . . clean air . . . don't we deserve both?

did you think the bass was too heavy at times? i was in row t seat 405, and during some songs it was very muddy, but during sober it was fine. all this talk about clean sound and air, perhaps i need to clean my ears.

Monkeys
05-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Too much bass in your face

Yeah, I can say there was some heavy bass in the place.

Ooh . . I can only imagine if someone asked me to sit down . . and then got security . . .

There are reasons why I don't bathe . . .