Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

Sol Invictus
05-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Same Setlist.
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Maynard said " I want to have a threesome with Rupert Murdoch and George Bush jr.

goosenesque
05-08-2006, 07:59 PM
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

More to come later...

question93
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Jambi was fucking amazing. They were a bit sloppy at the beginning, but really tightened up towards the end. I had a really good time, but unfortunately where I was sitting there was far too much bass and it really drowned out everything else. =(

soberman
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I am completely speechless... somehow drove..........

thesandman27
05-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Same Setlist.
Maynard said " I want to have a threesome with Robert Murdoch and George Bush jr.

And he said L. Ron Hubbard should be the "fluffer" ;)

GREAT show. I'll post a review in the morning. (Damn ears ringing!!)

Sp00k
05-08-2006, 08:08 PM
My first Tool show and I don't think it can possibly get any better than this. I heard Rosetta Stoned from the Seattle show and they have already gotten much more in sync with each other. Ænema topped it off.

I can now die a happy death...

BGA
05-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Turns out my seat didn't exist. sec A row b seat 1 and 2. The tour manager moved us to 2nd row pit dead center. Caught a water bottle from Maynard. The show was amazing and my ears are still ringing.

bluenote
05-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Bravo guys. The show from section N, row A was great. Awesome energy, well mixed. Highlights to come tomorrow. Like the man said, "smell ya later".

tooltones4
05-08-2006, 08:21 PM
i am truly amazed and speechless. i never knew a concert could be that powerful. it defently the best and can i say loudest concert ive ever been to. the acoustics in that place are the best i have ever heard. any ways side note something that was kind of cool. me and my friend that went did not have seats together but where about 5 rowas apart. i get there and theres a seat next to him where no one was sitting so i got to sit with my friend the whole show (he had a better view which topped it off). that was truly an experience.

goosenesque
05-08-2006, 08:26 PM
HAHAHA BGA, I saw you catch Maynard water bottle. Didn't you hand it off to the person behind you for a drink? I was LITERALLY the person right next to you in front of Justin. Those seats the radio station gave away were unreal. I was at the most 3 feet away from Justin the whole time, plus I didn't have to deal with any moshing or hitting from idiot fans.

I agree with the person above that said at first the sound was SLIGHTLY sloppy (Justin was a little too loud, and you couldn't quite hear Maynard), but after a couple songs the audio/mix was absolutely flawless.

I know this has been said before, but Justin really is one of the best bassist today in music. He really does things that I didn't even know are possible to do with a bass. I've seen a lot of bassist live (really good ones too), and he is easily the best.

Maynard didn't say much, but he was a little more active with the body gestures than I thought. He did make a couple funny comments about church sermoms though...something like "so this place is Methodist, and I'm supposed to tell everyone to praise the Lord and be against the Devil."

Danny of course was unreal. My friend doesn't know much about Tool, but he is a drummer, and he said Danny is the most amazing thing he has ever seen/heard. We both grabbed one of his drumsticks, but then it fell on the ground and some chick picked it up. Oh well.

Adam didn't have many mistakes that I noticed, but then again I'm not a guitarist so I probably wouldn't know. He seemed to be very relaxed and had a great time, and like usual showed his appreciation to the crowd by waving and smiling at the end.

Overall, an amazing show that I will never forget. I was touching the stage the entire time and everything was pretty much perfect. Those who went to this show should consider themselves VERY lucky.

SixTimestheMOON
05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
holy hell motherfucking yes. most intimate, orgasmic experience of my entire life. i had to restrain myself several times from leaping over the first overhang balcony onto those on the main floor. doesn't get any better than that man. "...we dedicate this next one to evil."

cant_be_faded
05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Hahaha, yeah he said that about Stinkfist. Justin truely is bad ass, I have never seen such a great bassist....his bass is what had me groovin more so than the guitar. Danny held down the fort great. I was off to the far left, 11th row sec A. You couldn't hear Maynard as good from there when he spoke, but the sound was excellent.

Ears were ringin from last night's Ministry concert, now they're clanging after this one!
A+

cant_be_faded
05-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh, btw, the security there was the absolute lamest thing I've ever experienced in my life. I was hoping and waiting for maynard to say something about how lame SMU was or its security. They were flashing flash lights into the crowd throughout the concert looking for people smoking weed. I was on the edge, so maybe I noticed this more so than anyone else. Still, thats the only downside to what was an overpowering assault on the ears.

Batcountry81
05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
so i get to the show, couldnt find my seat because the guy at will call told me it was on the first balcony, turns out i had FRONT ROW seats, 5 feet from adam jones, the concert fuckin rocked and afterwards Adam threw out the pick and it landed on the stage, i tried to go for it and the guard pushed me back saying i couldnt go near the stage, eventually he let me grab the pick and then Adam came up to me and shook my hand and said he was really sorry about what the guard did, most awesome experience of my life. this was my 4th tool show by the way but by far the best, far out does any arena show they've ever done

Futant3
05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Jesus that was fucking awesome!!! Second time to see Tool and clearly the best, even though the first was an amazing assault of the senses. The band was of course awesome, definitely agree with the sloppy comments about the beginning but the rest was good. Maynard's vocals got drowned out a little sometimes from where I was sitting (Section D Row Y). Awesome setlist that played like a greatest hits lineup, and also really showed just how well the new stuff fits with the old stuff.

Did anyone else sit around a little after the show to see security carry that one dude out? Gee I wonder what he was on! ;) Btw $25 for that poster was a steal if you ask me.

cvstool
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Danny is a fucking MONSTER. Period. As incredible as the music was, the highlight of the show for me was seeing those guys embrace at the end of the encore (Lateralus/Aenima)......you can tell that this show, and all of them right now, are about four brilliant musicians connecting after 5 years with each other and their audience......AND NOBODY ELSE!!!

All that being said, let me reiterate what others have noted.....Justin makes things happen with a bass guitar that are unimaginable! The talent and creativity in this band is sick! I suspect that's why we all love them!

Those of you who are anticipating upcoming shows.....it was worth the wait, and it's worth whatever you have to pay.

tabula.rassa
05-08-2006, 08:53 PM
batcountry81... i saw Adam shake your hand... very cool. lets you know where these true gentlemen's hearts are...

tony.stacks
05-08-2006, 08:59 PM
WOW! Tenth show and it was just as sweet, if not sweeter than the first. The new material sounded amazing. Jambi and The Pot were excellent. Rosetta Stoned is quickly becoming my favorite Tool song.

As soon as the curtain was pulled back it was sensory overload. I didn't know whether to watch Adam, Maynard, Danny or Justin or the screens. I will say though, I couldn't help but fixating on Justin. Every since 10,000 Days hit, I thought of it as "Justin's album". He really shines like never before on it. IMO, he stole the show..looking like fucking Jesus Christ, playing the shit out of that bass as if he was channeling some otherworldly force. Danny, of course, was amazing as always. That guy simply isn't human. My god.

On a side note, McFarlin Auditorium was absolutely beautiful. As was the entire SMU campus. What a great setting to see Tool in.

tony.stacks
05-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Danny is a fucking MONSTER. Period. As incredible as the music was, the highlight of the show for me was seeing those guys embrace at the end of the encore (Lateralus/Aenima)......you can tell that this show, and all of them right now, are about four brilliant musicians connecting after 5 years with each other and their audience......AND NOBODY ELSE!!!

My sentiments exactly.

tabula.rassa
05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
this was the best show of the 8 that i have been to so far. without a doubt. the setlist was (i think) close to what is posted above...

here's what i have...

1. Rosetta Stoned (i don't think that "lost key's (blame hoffman)" was in there
2. Stinkfist
3. the pot
4. 46&2
5. Jambi
6. Schism
7. The Patient (holy shit. full body orgazm)
(7.5) (...kind of an interlude, i think i recognized pieces of "Merkaba" but don't quote me)
8. Sober
9. Lateralus
(at this point, our heroes sit on maynard's risor and just, kind of, take in our adoration and pleading for more... so... what followed could be considered an encore...)
10. Vicarious
11. AEnima

so... an eleven song setlist, one and one (performers and audience) became one... almost 2 hours...

i was absolutely floored, sitting in the second balcony, frount row, seemed like i had an arial view of the whole show. this was the first show i've gone to by myself because none of my friends could get tickets and i could only manage to get one, but it was without a doubt the best i've seen to date... there were 2 people on either side of me that were experiencing TooL for the first time, and i was happy to guide them on their journey...

i thirst for more. i can't wait until the arena tour. i will try to go to at least 5 shows. and i'm sure that anyone else who was there tonight will say the same...

to the dude who was nxt to me who grabbed danny's signed drum head and almost went over the balcony doing it... you're welcome (i grabbed his belt and *maybe* kept him from going over), treasure your souvinere forever, don't even think of selling it...

...one note, i can't believe that there were people who showed up to the show with no tickets, stood in line next to me at the will call window, and managed to purchace tickets from the boxoffice at face value, and got floor seats... that's fucked. my seat in the sky was fine. in fakt i'm pretty happy about it, but i can't believe that there were people who got "better" seats that i did, at LITERALLY the last minute.

fuk ticketbastard, fuk their "conveniance charge", i'm praying for rain, and i hope that those capitalist scum are the first to be washed into zona bay... i wanna see the ground give way, and swallow their painfully greedy lives whole.

i am so grateful though to have been part of this...

thanx.

PeAcE...

cant_be_faded
05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
They did start out with Lost Keys for sure. Adam rocked it.
That's fucked up, how is it possible for someone to get tickets at the door at face value?

tabula.rassa
05-08-2006, 09:27 PM
They did start out with Lost Keys for sure. Adam rocked it.
That's fucked up, how is it possible for someone to get tickets at the door at face value?

i stand corrected... i guess, as i've listened to the album, i didn't realize which song was lost keys... and that it just naturally flows into Rosetta Stoned... i guess without the dialogue in the middle it threw me off too...

...it was explaied to me that, there are a certain alottment of tickets set aside for the band, promoters, label cronies, etc... that aren't sold until the last minute if they are unclaimed... and, it's a big gamble, but, if you're one of the first in line you can get tickets at face value, AND they're usually good seats since they're reserved for "vip's" originally.

again i say... ... fucked up

PeAcE...

SixTimestheMOON
05-08-2006, 09:31 PM
this was the best show of the 8 that i have been to so far. without a doubt. the setlist was (i think) close to what is posted above...

here's what i have...

1. Rosetta Stoned (i don't think that "lost key's (blame hoffman)" was in there
2. Stinkfist
3. the pot
4. 46&2
5. Jambi
6. Schism
7. The Patient (holy shit. full body orgazm)
(7.5) (...kind of an interlude, i think i recognized pieces of "Merkaba" but don't quote me)
8. Sober
9. Lateralus
(at this point, our heroes sit on maynard's risor and just, kind of, take in our adoration and pleading for more... so... what followed could be considered an encore...)
10. Vicarious
11. AEnima

so... an eleven song setlist, one and one (performers and audience) became one... almost 2 hours...

i was absolutely floored, sitting in the second balcony, frount row, seemed like i had an arial view of the whole show. this was the first show i've gone to by myself because none of my friends could get tickets and i could only manage to get one, but it was without a doubt the best i've seen to date... there were 2 people on either side of me that were experiencing TooL for the first time, and i was happy to guide them on their journey...

i thirst for more. i can't wait until the arena tour. i will try to go to at least 5 shows. and i'm sure that anyone else who was there tonight will say the same...

to the dude who was nxt to me who grabbed danny's signed drum head and almost went over the balcony doing it... you're welcome (i grabbed his belt and *maybe* kept him from going over), treasure your souvinere forever, don't even think of selling it...

...one note, i can't believe that there were people who showed up to the show with no tickets, stood in line next to me at the will call window, and managed to purchace tickets from the boxoffice at face value, and got floor seats... that's fucked. my seat in the sky was fine. in fakt i'm pretty happy about it, but i can't believe that there were people who got "better" seats that i did, at LITERALLY the last minute.

fuk ticketbastard, fuk their "conveniance charge", i'm praying for rain, and i hope that those capitalist scum are the first to be washed into zona bay... i wanna see the ground give way, and swallow their painfully greedy lives whole.

i am so grateful though to have been part of this...

thanx.

PeAcE...

That is angering to the fullest degree about the fucks and the willcall ticket purchases. Two friends of mine and I literally pulled a two-day-stay-up-for-Tool-ticket-purchasing. But man, completely worth every last second spent desperatley waiting in line at the Fiesta off of Buckner Blvd for a chance at a ticket.

On a side note, did anyone else feel the amazing power of the first overhang balcony as it rocked along w/ all of our collective amazement? Did anyone else also not give a good flying fuck if it collapsed for some ungodly reason?

Just saying, is all. My heart is racing just recalling the pure glory bliss of the evening. i would say more but I forgot my pen, (sure to) shit the bed again.

tony.stacks
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
...it was explaied to me that, there are a certain alottment of tickets set aside for the band, promoters, label cronies, etc... that aren't sold until the last minute if they are unclaimed... and, it's a big gamble, but, if you're one of the first in line you can get tickets at face value, AND they're usually good seats since they're reserved for "vip's" originally.

again i say......fucked up

PeAcE...

Yeah that is a little fucked up. But the way I look at it is, I paid for the ticket and the piece of mind that comes with it. Knowing for sure I'd be seeing the show. In that sense, it was worth the ridiculous cost. Plus, you gotta figure those who were lucky enough to get those tickets were probably hard core fans who got shafted by TM and went to the show anyways, determined to get it.

On a side note, according to the folks behind be, row f was double-sold so they opened up that special section between the stage and row a for those whose seats were taken. That's a pretty stand up thing to do on the part of the venue.

rockusJ
05-08-2006, 09:38 PM
was there. think about what has changed in the music landscape over the last 4 years and they are just as relevant, if not more, now than then. superior musicians.

dirtyrockstar
05-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Maynard after Rosetta Stoned said "I'd like to dedicate this set to all things evil."

higlights for me were Stinkfist...a fucking great version of Sober, everything from 10,000 days, and Aenema, Justin went insane at the end.

In the middle of Jambi, Danny threw a stick into the crowd. Right before starting Aenema, Maynard said "smell ya later"

chongi
05-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh good times... I won't be able to hear for a week though. Love the Nard's hair. Was anyone else constantly watching Adam thinking, "Better not fuck it up..."?

deftoolsys07
05-08-2006, 10:10 PM
didn't think i was gonna go, friend payed my way in... fuckin incredible show man... i got adam to sign a license suspension form i got from a cop when i got a dwi hahaha.. yes there is a bootleg, and i listened to it, i ran into the guy (i knew him from a system of a down msg board) that recorded it, smokin a joint down the street on the way back to the car.. it was awesome runnin into someone from the net so randomly.. anyway, bootleg of about half of the show (sounds awesome) should be up soon...

rockusJ
05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Oh good times... I won't be able to hear for a week though. Love the Nard's hair. Was anyone else constantly watching Adam thinking, "Better not fuck it up..."?

funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing about how they know what they are a part of and totally respect it. These guys demand such excellence from each other.

ecg0792
05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
I saw Tool last week at coachella, and this show did not even compare to that. This was the worst display of tool fans I have ever seen. At one point, I noticed that people began sitting down in the middle of the set, to which I replied "Wake up fuckers". At coachella, it was hard to even distinguish Maynards voice due to the fact that every single person there seemed to know every word to every tool song, like it was seond nature. The lack luster crowd was a serious disappointment. The set list was pretty much the same, but still owned. Once again, Sober was the best display of their musical genius, Lateralis got the crowd amped, and Anemia was the perfect finish. Hopefully if they do return, it won't be at Smirnoff, god I hate that venue.

thumphrey05
05-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow. i'm speechless. the three maynardisms i heard were

1. "We'd like to dedicate this show to all things evil.... like degrading family values... you know.. satan stuff."

2. "it was a real treat. the only thing that would make it better would be a 3some with Rupert Murdock and GW. Maybe throw in L. Ron Hubbard as the pivot man."

3. "smell ya later"

rhythm section was badass. does anyone else think justin chancellor looks alot like jesus christ?

tony.stacks
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
does anyone else think justin chancellor looks alot like jesus christ?

Oh yeah, big time...with that hair and the beard. Plus, I'd imagine if J.C. played bass, it would sound like something similar to Justin.

epinephrine_redux
05-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Beautiful show. I'll have a full review in the morning.

At the end of the show I stuck around by the tour busses, shook Danny Carey's hand and complemented him on the show. He was very humbled by the 20 or 30 of us that were hanging out back there and shook everyone's hand and thanked us for coming. Almost got an autograph from Justin (he stopped signing right as I got to him). Fuckin A.

rockusJ
05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Cool. Apologize for the Dallas fans. its been 4+years since I've seen them here and it was certainly a different crowd than last time. Would have loved to see them in a venue like Coachella. What do you think will be the biggest difference when they do their arena tour?

RedVilliam
05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
My buddy and I were in Sec E row T and wives got section A row H (don't ask me how they got closer it's not a funny story). Anyway, between my wife and I we've seen Tool somewhere around 15 times collectively and this was by far one of the very best. The vocals were kind of hard to hear at some points and the beginning was a little sketchy but that just served to add character to the show. The band really looked laid back and "personable". Justin was very, very good!! It was cool to see Adam use the "peter frampton" voice box, and M's belt buckle was funny as hell. Danny was on another level altogether but that's nothing new for him. The only problem I had was 50 dollars for a shirt and the best shirt on the wall (# 5) was for women only.

operativex
05-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Got some good pics and vid clips from section N, will post up tomorrow. Just got back to Austin, and I'm going to sleep! GREAT fucking show, was the 4th time I've seen TOOL and they are better than ever :)

Undone
05-08-2006, 11:53 PM
The only problem I had was 50 dollars for a shirt and the best shirt on the wall (# 5) was for women only.

I thought the same thing, so I just took the poster only. 3rd Tool show. First Balcony, row F. You could feel the bass drum in the floor even before they played the first song. Once the recognizable intro to Stinkfist came, the energy was gushing from the crowd. The people were so hyped that you could feel the whole balcony swaying.(And not just a little bit!) It was simply amazing and I found myself picturing the entire thing falling onto the people below us and trying to figure out if the thing would flip over or fall straight down. The sway never reached that point again through the rest of the show. But the energy stayed high. Maybe some lame folks sitting down on the floor level, but First balcony was raging. Maynard was drowned out by the crowd singing on many songs. I thought the band handled all issues with professionalism and I don't need to mention that they fucking rocked the house. The guards were annoying at the worst and not much else(Camera nazi's mostly). That was one of the loudest shows I've been to over the years and a wonderful venue. I had a great view of the entire stage. Woulda loved to hear Right in Two, but it doesn't matter.

"I'd like to dedicate this set to all things evil"
"Smell ya later"

texan
05-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Just got back into the ATX from show and am still buzzing from it. Words can't do it justice. Setlist was pretty much the same as previous shows. The white shirt was cool looking so I bought one at $35. :) Maynard looked like he was into the show and Justin kicked ass.

"The only thing better than this would be a 3-way with Rupert Murdoch and GW." MJK
"Smell ya later." As the band went into Aenima

Thanks to OperativeX and his buddy for the ride upto the show and a good time. We'll keep in touch. Peace.

monkeyxote
05-09-2006, 03:16 AM
This was my first show for them and I've been a fan for a long long time.

I'm not going to detail the songs, that's been done but I will talk about the specifics as to why Danny is so good.

Druing Rosetta Stoned when it opens up in the middle with the Bass riff and you hear those (tablaish sounding drums) Danny is not triggering a sample pattern. He's actually playing doubles and paradiddles through that while maintaining that killer beat that is probably in 7. This is what makes him such a good drummer. The interdependence with all four limbs.

I have a feeling that they felt like Dallas was a pumpin' show. We gave them a lot of energy. I thought I hear Maynard say that "it was a real treat".

Also, Blair Blake was there.

Fuk_LRonHubbard
05-09-2006, 04:22 AM
fucken amazing show.

off home to Oz now.

Plus i hear rumours they may be touring there in august so I get to see them twice in one year - heaven!

horus462
05-09-2006, 05:31 AM
all the screens were old except a few

security was trying to be too agressive almost ruining the positive vibe

bluenote
05-09-2006, 05:59 AM
What a performance. I found the anticipation of the show starting a killer. Strong setlist that flowed well. No mistakes or hiccups that I could detect just great music. Fortunate to sit next to some good folks on the rail that enjoyed the music and were there for the music. New material sounded tight live. What a treat. Have a great time to those still ahead on the tour. Small venues, and this was small, rock.

thinking man
05-09-2006, 06:02 AM
I saw Tool last week at coachella, and this show did not even compare to that. This was the worst display of tool fans I have ever seen. At one point, I noticed that people began sitting down in the middle of the set, to which I replied "Wake up fuckers". At coachella, it was hard to even distinguish Maynards voice due to the fact that every single person there seemed to know every word to every tool song, like it was seond nature. The lack luster crowd was a serious disappointment. The set list was pretty much the same, but still owned. Once again, Sober was the best display of their musical genius, Lateralis got the crowd amped, and Anemia was the perfect finish. Hopefully if they do return, it won't be at Smirnoff, god I hate that venue.

good god, how can you say that we were the worst display of Tool fans? You can't even spell the names of the songs right! :) I thought the crowd was way into it, maybe it's just me and the other 2200 people there? I was one of the duplicate ticket guys. It seems like it was only row f in sections b and d. I didn't pick the pit ticket, although I wouldn't have minded. I do agree with you about smirnoff, that place would not do TOOL justice. If they choose to come back to this 'lackluster' crowd as you say, then maybe they'll play at american airlines or nokia live. I just don't get some people with their high standards. I thought the show was full of energy and a very good vibe from the band themselves! You could tell at the end of the show that they were happy! They were all smiles and what about danny whipping that drum head up to the balcony? Mad frisbee skills! :) I would say this is the second best show I've ever seen and I've been to a few. Anyone get an extra poster they might want to part with for double price?

bluenote
05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Jambi, EBA/The Patient, and Vicarious were perfection. Did really experience the mix issues from up high and in the back. I also found the audience to be knowledgeable, energetic, and respectful of the music. Not out to pose or play, just jam. It was an honor to get to hear Aenema live.

TXB4Z
05-09-2006, 06:25 AM
what a badass show! the best concert i have been to!

Bravo guys. The show from section N, row A was great. Awesome energy, well mixed. Highlights to come tomorrow. Like the man said, "smell ya later".

by any chance were you sitting seat 8? i was in seat 9.

davisgeorge76
05-09-2006, 07:15 AM
The show was truly amazing...not a bad seat in the house. Watching the band play from 'above' was a very cool experience. Loved the setlist (even though you can't truly please every tool fan), the only thing that would have topped the night is to hear Opiate and Right in Two, but you can't complain.

Security was a little tight and distracting. Flashlights a plenty = distractions from the experience.

Thanks guys for hanging out after the show...very nice of you to spend a little time with the fans and just shoot the shit, shake some hands, sign a few autographs, share our resentment for scalpers/agents, etc.

BGA
05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Did anyone else, who was in the pit, see Justin play with a Miller Lite bottle. He was on his knees with his back to the crowd using the bottle to get cool sounds. I'm trying to remember what intro he did that for.

thinking man
05-09-2006, 07:26 AM
justin was off the hook! I couldn't help but just watch him sway the whole show! I'm loving his bass sounds! on the recording note, don't worry about paying for it, it'll surface. I'm sure someone stuck a md recorder up their ass to get this show! :)

goosenesque
05-09-2006, 07:28 AM
BGA, I saw what Justin did with the beer bottle. It was right before they played Vicarious. I remember because it was right after they got off their little encore break he used that bottle he was sipping out of when they were sitting down. Like I said I was standing right next to you in the pit directly in front of Justin, so I got to see all his little mechanisms.

Sorry if this is too long, but here is a cool review from the Dallas Morning News. I would post a link, but I think it's available only to subscribers.

Review: Tool keeps it simple in mini-tour stop at SMU

08:29 AM CDT on Tuesday, May 9, 2006
By MIKE DANIEL / The Dallas Morning News

Tool's concert Monday night in Dallas was about focus instead of the usual hocus pocus.

Fans of today's preeminent progressive rock act know how bizarre Tool can get onstage. Esoteric frontman Maynard James Keenan has thrown down some wacky looks, and the band is prone to tangential feedback surfing between its uranium-crusted songs. Most of the time attendees can't even see anyone onstage, as awash as the band is in shadows, dark lighting and flashy video screens.

But the sold-out warm-up gig at tiny (for the band) 1,200-seat McFarlin Auditorium at Southern Methodist University was wiry, sleek and compartmentalized in comparison. What that made for was 100 minutes of heavy-rock Mecca, where the mysticism was minimalist but could still be sensed, and Tool's ceremoniously vociferant music overrode all else.

Tool's aim on this 15-date U.S. theater tour is to publicly chaw on material from its week-old album, 10,000 Days. But many were beyond peeved that tickets for the trek were all but unattainable, and the band won't be back to play North American dates until August at the earliest. (Mr. Keenan has apologized for the mini-tour's arrangement on the band's Web site).

What lucky ticketholders witnessed was a stripped-down band, which fits with the new material's similarly unornamented premises. Each of the four members had a video screen behind him, and no one strayed from their quadrant except, on occasion, guitarist Danny Carey. The show's 11 songs alternated between new track and old hit, bookmarked by the brazen and dramatic sci-fi opener, "Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)/Rosetta Stoned" and a commanding encore of "Vicarious," the new CD's first single. Every single song possessed enough sonic power to spin a West Texas windmill to propeller-blurring speeds.

Mr. Keenan did his typical boundary lurking, slowly pacing back and forth in front of his video frame but never venturing to the stage's front. His vocals flattened out at times, especially on the higher reaches of "The Pot" and the matter-of-fact passages on "Stinkfist," but his deific vibrance, even in silhouette as he was much of the show, drowned out the occasional hiccup.

His look was pure homoerotic rock-star cowboy: no shirt, wire-rimmed cop-style sunglasses, tight boot-cut blue jeans, a straw cowboy hat and a big 'n' shiny oval belt buckle. He even threw in the occasional Dwight Yoakam heel-to-toe side shuffle at times, and his microphone slinging looked awfully similar to revving up a lasso loop.

"Now this has been an absolute treat," he said with a bit of a twang just before the final song. Ride the lightning, cowboy.

Undone
05-09-2006, 07:51 AM
good god, how can you say that we were the worst display of Tool fans? You can't even spell the names of the songs right! :) I thought the crowd was way into it, maybe it's just me and the other 2200 people there? I was one of the duplicate ticket guys. It seems like it was only row f in sections b and d. I didn't pick the pit ticket, although I wouldn't have minded. I do agree with you about smirnoff, that place would not do TOOL justice. If they choose to come back to this 'lackluster' crowd as you say, then maybe they'll play at american airlines or nokia live. I just don't get some people with their high standards. I thought the show was full of energy and a very good vibe from the band themselves! You could tell at the end of the show that they were happy! They were all smiles and what about danny whipping that drum head up to the balcony? Mad frisbee skills! :) I would say this is the second best show I've ever seen and I've been to a few. Anyone get an extra poster they might want to part with for double price?

Actually Danny handed both of them off to Adam to throw. So props to Adam for Mad frisbee skills.

Correction; I stand over-ruled.

msj
05-09-2006, 07:55 AM
saw Blair's wierd lookign ass at the 7 11 across the street. I was front center of the first balcony and thought the damn thing was going to come down when stinkfist started. at the front it was litterly moving 6-8 inches up and down. VERY freeky when you think what building codes had to have been in 1926.

Knew it was going to be great

Knew I had good seats

Still blown the fuck away. 6th show and the best not counting Austin music hall 3-97 on 4 hits.

question93
05-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Actually Danny handed both of them off to Adam to throw. So props to Adam for Mad frisbeee skills.

I guess I hallucinated watching Adam through the bigger drum head into the back of the floor under the balcony and immediately after watching Danny hurl the smaller head into the top balcony.

Funny, cuz I was sober.

goosenesque
05-09-2006, 07:58 AM
I thought it was Danny too, so you weren't halucinating. Danny threw the one that made it to the 2nd balcony.

thinking man
05-09-2006, 07:58 AM
I thought the same thing. I was completely sober too and it WAS danny that hurled that head up to the balcony.

Undone
05-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Did anyone hear what Maynard said right before 'Picture this if you will' at the beginning of the show? It didn't sound like 'alrighty then' but people were screaming like crazy next to me right then.

thinking man
05-09-2006, 08:18 AM
it sounded like he said 'hello there', but it could have been 'alrighty then'.

StonedDevil
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM

yea smirnoff would suck, and so would nokia. It needs to be AA.

badgertool
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
In 1998 I saw a band named Tool. I went from a casual fan to a zealot in the matter of a hearing a few notes performed by them live. Since then I have seen them a total of 6 times including this show. They still amaze and bewilder me.

If my first Tool show was a conversion, this show was a rededication. In the words of “Lateralus,”
“ I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountain,”

I think these lines capture what it is to experience a Tool show. Last night Maynard was dead on with his vocals. Danny bludgeoned the crowd with his drumming. I think the only air in the place was the sonic vibrations from his bass drums. Justin abused his bass to the point it sounded like it had a mind of its own. And Adam, Adam’s call demeanor belies the pummeling riffs he dispenses like drugs at the free clinic.

There were a few lulls in the show where technical issues were being addressed and the mix was a little off (Maybe the sound guy was a SMU intern)-my innards are still vibrating today. Overall the performance was just short of divine. I am greatful to have had an opportunity to experience Tool in such an intimate setting. It was like going to an old time tent revival, without the snakes.

badgertool
05-09-2006, 08:57 AM

I don't know where you were at, what you or on, or if you just ignored your surroundings. From my vantage point, everyone was singing along to all of the old songs and most of the new songs. This was one of the best crowds I have seen at a Tool show the only other one that comes close was the Lateralus show at Fort Worth Convention Center. That venue kicks AA, Smirnoff and Nokia's ass!

larchlion
05-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Maynard's mic was definitely lost in the first couple of songs. Danny's kick drum and Justin were cranked so loud i could feel my trachea rattle until it hurt.

Was it just me or did 46&2 absolutely bring the house down?

As for the balcony moving, I can attest. The woman and I were right beneath it. As the band was sitting before the encore and the foot stomping above began, we noticed the balcony quake before my girlfriend asked, "what if that falls on us?" yes, what if...

CaseLogic
05-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I stopped reading that Dallas Morning News review when it said "guitarist Danny Carey"

#Notion
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
I loved the show, It was alot to soak in.

I don't think the band was taking this one too seriously though, maynard was just singing his part most of the time, and adam and justin were just keeping it going. The energy level did rise up every now and then and never dropped too low (thanks to Danny... :O), but overall I felt that they were performing this like a warmup. I was in section E row E seat 5, and from there the sounds wasn't the greatest, but my $350 ticket was worth it..

Also, I ran into blair in the front entrance (seems like nobody noticed who he was) and he had a girl that (kinda resembled heather?) hanging all over him. I Double-looked and asked him if he was blair, he kidna looked at me slightly annoyed and said yeah. He automatically went to the 'shake the fans hand' position and asked me what my name was (prety much out of courtesy). I asked him if he ever reads these forums and he replied with a 'no'. Told him I had to ask and went in to where the real stars were (heh). Thought you guys might like to know.

My assessment of blair from those 30 seconds... he's pretty much an asshole (which is cool), much uglier in person, and even smells like beer all the time...

ecg0792
05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
For all of those who do not agree with my comment about Dallas having a lack luster crowd, I am camparing to Coachella. At that show, I met people from all over the world, let alone the country, that came to see Tool (not madonna). So when people paid for a plane ticket from Canada, Norway, Czech Republic, Japan etc, just to see Tool, needless to say they were fucking amped a bit more than those who attended the Dallas show in my opinion.

Majesty12
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I ran into Justin while walking by the blockbuster. He went to CVS and then returned to the bus.

goosenesque
05-09-2006, 10:20 AM
That's pretty sweet. I knew SOMEONE would catch a glimpse of them before/after the show since the venue is in such an exposed area. Certainly they don't want to be sitting in their bus all day...

Majesty12
05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
btw- eye 2 saw blair. but i was more interested in show, although if that was heather with him...................damn!

thinking man
05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
I fucking knew I should have tried to hang and meet the band! I don't care about meeting blair, but it would have been cool to meet 3/4 of the band, cuz ya know mjk isn't gonna come out.

roman
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Fuck....i couldnt stop dancing...
Section H row H, but they didnt play H
dam
The place nearly caved in during stinkfist
to all the people who i met at about 1:00 before the show who didnt have tickets...im glad you got in...... you deserved it....anyways...Someone asked me..."what are you on"?
uhhhmmm Tool...duh

contact

www.myspace.com/theromantool

epinephrine_redux
05-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I’ve been a Tool fan since 1998 when I heard “Forty Six & Two” on the radio. The deep mysterious bass and cascading drums put me in another head-space that I’d never experienced. The first time I experienced live Tool was in October 2001 at Reunion Arena in Dallas. I had a balcony seat but the show was incredible although nothing compared to what I was about to witness.

I got to McFarlin Auditorium early--around 6:00 after finding a parking spot I made my way up to the entrance of the auditorium and preceded to “shoot the shit” on the steps leading to the entrance (which had three proclamations written upon it‘s façade--“Education”, “Religion”, “Patriotism”.). After waiting what seemed like forever, I finally passed through security and went to the merch table to obtain one of those giant posters. People around me were dropping $90 dollars on merch like it was nothing. I looked at the person next to me and said, “Buy my new record”. I do not think he got the reference.

After waiting a few more minutes they opened the doors and I made my way to my seat (Floor, Section C, Row Z, Seat 9). On my way in, I snuck a peek at the massive soundboard at the back (my seat was approx. 10 feet away from the mixer. After a good helping of people watching and “When the Levee Breaks” by Zeppelin on the P.A., I looked over my shoulder at the mixer and Blair (toolband.com webmaster/general Tool and Occult connoisseur) was standing there talking to a very beautiful girl (those of you who know what Blair looks like will appreciate the irony of this). I looked at him and mouthed “fucking Tool!” and he just smiled.

At approx. 8:20 pm, (after about five minutes of Buddhist chanting with a synthesizer) I ingested a heroic dosage of Tool. Adam and Justin walked out, waved to the crowd, and got down to business. The opened with “Lost Keys (blame Hoffman)/Rosetta Stoned”. Justin’s wailing bass feedback filled the auditorium like a wine glass. After about a minute of feedback and raucous applause, Adam chimed in with those first three notes on his Silverburst Les Paul. The wine glass was filled to the brim.

A moment later Danny walked out wearing a Kansas basketball jersey, followed by Maynard who was wearing a Cowboy hat, aviators, and jeans w/ a “Texas” sized belt-buckle. The last few of notes of “Lost Keys” rang out and Maynard spoke the first line to “Rosetta Stoned” through his “voice box“:

“ALL RIGHT THEN. PICTURE THIS IF YOU WILL.”

The auditorium exploded into a cacophony of music--a psychedelic magnum opus. The bass and kick drum shook my innards out of their sleeping state and my third eye was pried open with a crowbar of sheer volume. The wine glass was overflowing.

Writing this review, I feel like the character in “Rosetta Stoned”. The whole thing was “so real”. How am I going to put what I saw into words? “I forgot my pen….”

The band ripped through “Rosetta” (only marred by Justin’s bass squealing at the beginning) and the climax was epic (to say the least). If the audience didn’t know the previous song, they definitely knew the next.

A slight bit of feedback and “Stinkfist” was underway. Needless to say, the crowd went into berserker frenzy. The song seemed a little slower than normal at the first but gradually sped up. Maynard’s vocals were spot-on and Adam added a little extra during the verses with his new “chopper” pedal. Very loud. Very impressive. They didn’t add the extra verse, and as far as I could tell, it was sans-”electro-tabla” sounds at the beginning and at the bridge (this was a LOUD concert and I was under the balcony, there is a good possibility that I just didn’t hear it). Images from the video played (as with all songs played that had videos) on the screens overlaid with what looked like Camella’s “Spiral-Eyes” video loops.

After “Stinkfist” was over. Maynard said that the next song was “dedicated to degrading family values, everything that’s evil, so basically Satan.” The next song was “The Pot”. Maynard triggered a sequence on his keyboard and sung the first line, followed by a long pause with fans singing the second line alone. Justin’s bass started the schizophrenic riff and was quickly followed by Adam and Danny. The opening long, drawn-out, half-step bends on guitar is signature Adam and Justin‘s bass whammy solo was wicked. This song reminds me of Jane’s Addiction with a bit of Hendrix thrown into the mix. This will be the next single, easily.

“Forty Six & Two” started and I recalled hearing the song on the radio the first time. I thought about how lucky I was to see a band that has greatly inspired me in such a small and intimate setting. Everyone was belting out the lyrics (some with better skill than others) and you could slice the anticipation of the drum solo with a knife. Those first rumbling sextuplets on the snare sounded and the crowd erupted. I stood in awe as I did the first time I saw this solo live (with full-on “O“ face, nonetheless). Stunning. Danny Carey will go down as one of the best drummers in history.

“Jambi” was next. There were a few hiccups but that is to be expected. This is a warm-up tour. Besides that, the song was incredible. Justin was flawless in his attack on bass. The kick-drum on the “break-down” thundered through the room and Danny was Zeus incarnate. Adam’s talk-box solo was breathtaking and the sound was reproduced very well live (and for those of you that think it is a digital effect pedal and nothing more, you could not be more mistaken).

By now, I was sweating my ass off.--deep into this Tool trip that I had started earlier. After the rolling thunder of “Jambi”, I took comfort in the delicate chords of the intro to “Schism”. The comfort didn’t last long and again I was riding a cascading wave of sound frequencies. “Schism” was flawless and I think it has to be one of Tool’s most challenging songs lyrically. Maynard shined all throughout this song.

“Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient” was next. Not many songs come close to the epic sounds of “The Patient”. I was so deep into the experience now that I can’t remember much, just the rush of endorphins as the song climaxed. I do remember that Danny added some different sounds during the quiet percussive parts with his new drum pads.

An impromptu feedback jam ensued after “The Patient” commenced. Maynard left the stage for a short bit, and Adam, Justin, and Danny, began to “square the stones” constructing a massive wall of sound. There were hints at “Merkaba” from Salival in the drum pattern Danny was playing. This led directly into “Sober”.

“Sober” rocked steadily and they jammed a little on the middle section. Besides that, I don’t remember too much.

“Lateralus” started with a slightly different synth sound. This sound was more “up-front” and aggressive than the sound on the album. “Lateralus” was the highlight of the night. The energy in the place went up a thousand-fold and I thought the place was going to collapse in on itself like a tidal wave. If my ears weren’t already damaged enough, the Gong Hit (yes, that is capitalized--it deserves it) ruined them. The end of “Lateralus” live is the initiation of the neophyte into the “Order of Tool”. You can look at another fan and you know if they have experienced such greatness.

After “Lateralus”, the place went wild and the band all sat down on Maynard’s platform. They were soaking in all the applause from us junkies who wanted just one more hit. At one point Maynard put his hand up to his ear and then the crowd started stomping on the floor. I have only experienced this at a sporting event--it was amazing to say the least.

The guys got back up and picked up right where they left off. They played “Vicarious” next. I think Adam was having some kind of problem because he was talking to a stage tech during the intro. The song has power. Maynard seemed a little more reserved during the song I can only assume because of the subject matter. The triplets at the end were flawless. Not many bands can pull off a song like this.
With a Bart Simpson voice, Maynard said “Smell ya later”, and the band went into “Ænema”. Maynard fucked up the lyrics at the “fuck….” part and kind of smiled. He included the “Fuck Rupert Murdoch” line in the lyrics. After the song was over there was the obligatory throwing of water bottles, drumheads, and what looked like small baggies of something (??). Danny handed Adam a drumhead to throw and he pointed to the center section and threw it. It went way of to the right and he just shrugged. Danny then whipped one up into the balcony. The band hugged and left the stage.

At the end of the show, I stuck around by the tour busses, shook Danny Carey's hand and complemented him on the show. He was very humbled by the 20 or 30 of us that were hanging out back there, shook everyone’s hand, and thanked us for coming. Almost got an autograph from Justin (he stopped signing right as I got to him).

On the two-hour drive home, I must have said to myself, “Holy Shit”, “Goddamn”, or some variation thereof about 100 times.

erkee
05-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Been intrigued by Tool since 95, but first time witnessing them was in '98 - my friends and I saw them in San Antonio... while we admit there is other great music out there, the one we agree on that will stand the test of time is TOOL. No other group hits us on all levels with on so many songs - truly unique and completely orginal even though they have their own inspirations.

They are the 4 legs of a table that enlightenment rests upon, and more and more are learning to feed off of. They continue to grow and with that, the table will keep rising to those too tall to currently see it...

StereoScopicLenses
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Oh, btw, the security there was the absolute lamest thing I've ever experienced in my life. I was hoping and waiting for maynard to say something about how lame SMU was or its security. They were flashing flash lights into the crowd throughout the concert looking for people smoking weed.

That's kind of funny that people were smoking dank at a Tool concert in that auditorium. I did some research on the SMU site and that building was originally built and designed as a chapel. It was one of the school's first churches haha. the irony is killing me.

Siel Yardman
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
i have to say this was the best tool show i've been to. in such a small quaint little setting it was amazingly brilliant.

only one gripe i had was when this douche bag security guy touched me and said "stay in front of your seat." i was in seat 1, sec d, row w. i barely had my foot out because some tall kid was in front of me and i couldnt see through his ass. conversation went like so...

security douche: get in front of your seat.
me: i am in front of it.
security douche: it's gonna be like this all night
me: FUUUUCCK, i cant see through this 7 foot tall fucker
security douche: sorry, my boss told me...
me: FUUUUCCK!!!
security douche: thaaayanks. (in the southpark smug thanks)

he made me miss like 15 secs of the show and all i could think about was strangling his tiny little dirty neck.

ausqb
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Notion, I agree with what you said about it sounding like a warmup, or as if they weren't taking it too seriously or something. Though you'd have to carve out an exception for Danny's drumming -- I don't think he knows how to play any way other than balls to the wall. :-)

But that's fine... the way I see it, if they want to play a show with a little more relaxed feel to it, so be it. For me, Maynard's sarcasm coupled with the overzealous security made things a tad stifling, but c'est la vie. It was great to hear them play, as always.

I don't get all these kids raving about how it was the "best show ever", but whatever. Tool will always remain one of my favorite bands, regardless.

goosenesque
05-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Forgot to mention...

Since McFarlin is such a small and old venue, before the show people were talking about Tool "bringing the house down." Well, besides making the balcony shake like others have mentioned, they LITERALLY made pieces of the roof break off. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but there were at least 3 occassions where about golf ball size pieces of white chalk were falling on to our heads. Even the security guards around us were mildly concerned, as they kept on looking up to the ceiling and shaking their heads at us.

skillet
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Section C, Row Z, middle and to the rear under the first balcony, I'm glad I didn't get squashed, heh. I never realized the overhang was shaking, I was too into the music to notice.

This was my 5th time to see TOOL. My first was in Tulsa, OK of all places back in 1994 for the Undertow tour and it was in a very similar venue (in fact, I had very similar seats; middle and to the rear under an overhang). That show is still the best concert I've ever been to in my life and I've been to some great ones; the bass was so loud that, and I'm not kidding, under the overhang we were being pushed backwards by the air displacement. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life, yet crystal clear at the same time, and they played all of Undertow and most of Opiate; just an amazing night. And as Badgertool stated, the Ft. Worth Convention Center show for Lateralus a few years ago was amazing as well. With that out of the way, this show ranks #3 on my list of 5 and probably only because of the technical difficulties and set list (I loved all the songs, don't get me wrong as there isn't a TOOL song that is bad IMO, but then some of them are just too "radio friendly" and I'd hoped to here a few others, but it was still a great set).

I can't think of much to add to what everyone else has said about the evening other than to state I'm in total agreement with Justin's performance; he seemed to have more energy than anyone there (well, other than Danny, but it is kind've his job to be energetic, heh). I've always admired Justin's playing and began to respect him the last time I saw them in Ft. Worth, but last night blew me away (as does his performance on 10,000 Days; it really is his album it seems, and more power to him). I had no idea some of the riffs and sounds on the new songs were him, I just assumed it was Adam up to his normal trickery. I'm glad Justin is finally assuming a bigger role in the band, it only serves to make them even better (if such a thing is possible).

Anyway, if you have never seen TOOL in concert "get you @ss to Mahs - get you @ss to Mahs - get you @ss to Mahs." You will not regret it, I don't care if you're only a so-so fan of the music, it is an experience, and one you will not soon forget. Great show, wonderful vibe, amazing evening.

TXB4Z
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Forgot to mention...

Since McFarlin is such a small and old venue, before the show people were talking about Tool "bringing the house down." Well, besides making the balcony shake like others have mentioned, they LITERALLY made pieces of the roof break off. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but there were at least 3 occassions where about golf ball size pieces of white chalk were falling on to our heads. Even the security guards around us were mildly concerned, as they kept on looking up to the ceiling and shaking their heads at us.

hahaha, i had shit all over me by the end of the night.

epinephrine_redux
05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey, skillet, I was in the same row as you. I was the guy in the Guinness t-shirt.

thinking man
05-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm betting they won't let another band play there again, unless it's some acoustic rainbow gathering shit! :)

operativex
05-09-2006, 12:21 PM
That's kind of funny that people were smoking dank at a Tool concert in that auditorium. I did some research on the SMU site and that building was originally built and designed as a chapel. It was one of the school's first churches haha. the irony is killing me.

bwhahaha I know some of y'all sitting in section N were smelling some... ;)

thinking man
05-09-2006, 12:24 PM
i got my dank on at the house post show. it wasn't worth it getting caught.

TXB4Z
05-09-2006, 12:34 PM
bwhahaha I know some of y'all sitting in section N were smelling some... ;)

it was more like any one with in a 100ft radius.

jimmys3rdEye
05-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I was not at your show last night (I'll be at the one tomorrow night in Denver), but I emailed Mike Daniel (the guy who wrote the review in the Dallas paper) and this was his reply:

Abi,

I'm quite embarrased about the error that you noted below in my review of Tool's show at McFarlin Auditorium last evening, especially since I know the band's output and history quite well. A correction will run in tomorrow's paper regarding it. Thanks for your e-mail.
Mike Daniel
Staff Writer/Copy Editor
The Dallas Morning News
(214) 977-8606
(214) 977-8838 (fax)
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:40 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tool Review.

Mike,
I read your review on Tool's show last night, and although it was excellent, their guitarists name is Adam Jones. Danny Carey is the drummer. (Sorry if you've been told this already.) Thanks.

-abi
---------------------------------
Rock on! :)

bluenote
05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
what a badass show! the best concert i have been to!

by any chance were you sitting seat 8? i was in seat 9.

We were N, Row A, 3-4. Great seats

Zedek
05-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Section C, Row Z, middle and to the rear under the first balcony, I'm glad I didn't get squashed, heh. I never realized the overhang was shaking, I was too into the music to notice.

This was my 5th time to see TOOL. My first was in Tulsa, OK of all places back in 1994 for the Undertow tour and it was in a very similar venue (in fact, I had very similar seats; middle and to the rear under an overhang). That show is still the best concert I've ever been to in my life and I've been to some great ones; the bass was so loud that, and I'm not kidding, under the overhang we were being pushed backwards by the air displacement. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life, yet crystal clear at the same time, and they played all of Undertow and most of Opiate; just an amazing night. And as Badgertool stated, the Ft. Worth Convention Center show for Lateralus a few years ago was amazing as well. With that out of the way, this show ranks #3 on my list of 5 and probably only because of the technical difficulties and set list (I loved all the songs, don't get me wrong as there isn't a TOOL song that is bad IMO, but then some of them are just too "radio friendly" and I'd hoped to here a few others, but it was still a great set).

I can't think of much to add to what everyone else has said about the evening other than to state I'm in total agreement with Justin's performance; he seemed to have more energy than anyone there (well, other than Danny, but it is kind've his job to be energetic, heh). I've always admired Justin's playing and began to respect him the last time I saw them in Ft. Worth, but last night blew me away (as does his performance on 10,000 Days; it really is his album it seems, and more power to him). I had no idea some of the riffs and sounds on the new songs were him, I just assumed it was Adam up to his normal trickery. I'm glad Justin is finally assuming a bigger role in the band, it only serves to make them even better (if such a thing is possible).

Anyway, if you have never seen TOOL in concert "get you @ss to Mahs - get you @ss to Mahs - get you @ss to Mahs." You will not regret it, I don't care if you're only a so-so fan of the music, it is an experience, and one you will not soon forget. Great show, wonderful vibe, amazing evening.

I'm pretty much going to have to agree with everything he said...The Patient is what really got me kickstarted (besides hearing The Pot and Jambi Live...that gave me a totally new respect for the songs on the new album)

Also epinephrine_redux, we were both standing next to each other in that row, I was seat 3, Skillet was seat 4...I feel for the poor bastard who was behind me because I'm 6'5" and I know the guy behind me was probably trying to see through my head...heh

locoloon
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Bat country 81, I was wondering what he said to you. How fucking cool is that, to have Adam tell you he was sorry for that. I have to ask: What was up with the Rock Nazi security guards. They were persistent about telling you to "put that away", meaning put your cell phone away so you couldn't get a shot of the band. On our shitty camera phones? Camera phones suck ball sack anyway, what was the big deal? By the way tall security gaurd...I got a shot of the stage anyway asshole!!! Thank you Tool for letting a select thousand experience something that cool with other tried and true Tool fans....

Did anyone feel as if the band was just a bit uneasy with the new tunes. "the Pot" seemed a little forced. I do think it was very cool to see them screw up a bit like all musicsians do form time to time. ( The show was absolutely amazing, so do not think that I am downing the performance, just something I noticed.)

I was a little broke last night and couldn't get one those cool ass black shirts with the ALex Grey artwork, along with the "mini tour" dates on the back. Does any one know how I could get my hands on one, maybe through toolarmy.com or what?

locoloon sec. D Row N. seat 2.

dcook1660
05-09-2006, 01:02 PM
It has been great reading everyone's posts and remembering the experience. I guess it is now my turn.

I won tickets from The Edge and picked them up yesterday about 4:30. I knew that the floor sections were A-E, so I was a shocked to see Sec AA on the tickets. Part of me knew what this meant, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

My buddy and I went and grabbed a bite to eat and then made our way to the venue at about 6:30. After standing in line for what seemed like forever (I have a new facination for *short* plaid skirts now) the security finally let us in. Does anyone know why the opened up the auditorium only to make us herd into the lobby? Finally, the theater doors open and we make our way down. As soon as I saw the seats in the orchestra pit I knew for sure where Sec AA would be. I was 4 feet from the stage. The dude that mentioned getting hassled over the pick from Adam...he was next to me.

I don't know what else to add to what has already been shared. Adam was awesome, Danny was unreal, Maynard was hypnotic and Justin was beyond words. This was a truely amazing experience for me. This was my first Tool show and I cannot wait for the "big one" later this year.

Last thing....The pre-show music...before the mantra/chanting stuff started, there was some heavier stuff being played that was really heavy on the bass...Does anyone know who that was?

locoloon
05-09-2006, 01:04 PM
It has been great reading everyone's posts and remembering the experience. I guess it is now my turn.

I won tickets from The Edge and picked them up yesterday about 4:30. I knew that the floor sections were A-E, so I was a shocked to see Sec AA on the tickets. Part of me knew what this meant, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

My buddy and I went and grabbed a bite to eat and then made our way to the venue at about 6:30. After standing in line for what seemed like forever (I have a new facination for *short* plaid skirts now) the security finally let us in. Does anyone know why the opened up the auditorium only to make us herd into the lobby? Finally, the theater doors open and we make our way down. As soon as I saw the seats in the orchestra pit I knew for sure where Sec AA would be. I was 4 feet from the stage. The dude that mentioned getting hassled over the pick from Adam...he was next to me.

I don't know what else to add to what has already been shared. Adam was awesome, Danny was unreal, Maynard was hypnotic and Justin was beyond words. This was a truely amazing experience for me. This was my first Tool show and I cannot wait for the "big one" later this year.

Last thing....The pre-show music...before the mantra/chanting stuff started, there was some heavier stuff being played that was really heavy on the bass...Does anyone know who that was?

I thought I heard some MEshuggah in there at times.

dcook1660
05-09-2006, 01:06 PM

Cool...that is what I thought. I have never heard them but I've read where Tool consider them an influence now and it did seem to have a '10K Days' feel to it.

bluenote
05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
"Last thing....The pre-show music...before the mantra/chanting stuff started, there was some heavier stuff being played that was really heavy on the bass...Does anyone know who that was?"

I thought they played some Tricky/Massive Attack but that was about all I thought I recognized

Zedek
05-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Cool...that is what I thought. I have never heard them but I've read where Tool consider them an influence now and it did seem to have a '10K Days' feel to it.

Then of course after the show (and so far every show I've been to) they've played "Insane in the brain" by Cypress Hill...I still laugh each time they do that.

gotlucky
05-09-2006, 01:13 PM
I got there at just after 8 without a ticket. I gave a security guard $20, and he escorted me to a seat in the balcony. Score.

operativex
05-09-2006, 01:36 PM
pictures, videos?

Here's my collection from the first row of the 2nd balcony:

CLICK (http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/drew/thumbnails.php?album=42)

They came out pretty good I think. I was nervous as all hell getting the cam in and taking pics, the security was TIGHT and I don't mean that in a good way. Hope y'all appreciate me risking my neck for these shots! ;)

Still working on editing the audio of the videos I took, stay tuned for more!

bluenote
05-09-2006, 01:38 PM

They came out pretty good I think. I was nervous as all hell getting the cam in and taking pics, the security was TIGHT and I don't mean that in a good way. Hope y'all appreciate me risking my neck for these shots! ;)

I sat by you dudes! Great pix

bluenote
05-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know the story of the mat/board/art they came out and laid down during the 2nd or 3rd song?

goosenesque
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
HAHAHA Dude, I can see myself in your picture. I'm the guy right in the first row with his hands up in the air in several shots. Good pics, I know it was tough getting pictures due to those stingy guards, so great job.

dirtyrockstar
05-09-2006, 02:32 PM

thanks.
awesome pictures man, I can see my self in the one looking back towards the back of the balcony, I was in the last row...still a great seat though. I stood on my chair and leaned against the back wall the whole time, so I could see over everyone, and could really feel the bass from the kick.

SilverGrudge
05-09-2006, 02:45 PM
i don't know if this has been asked yet, but before the show while the music was playing they played a track of two guys talking/arguing about that black metal band. does anyone where i can get this from?

btw: i was secton D - AA - seat 2

mexican guy with big nappy black hair and green shirt :)

optimistic-pessimist
05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
... but first time witnessing them was in '98 - my friends and I saw them in San Antonio...

Hehe... Sunken Garden Theater? I was there. What a great show.... on my birthday no less. It was my little brother's first ever concert (TOOL or otherwise) too.

As for comments on last night's show...

1.) As someone already mentioned, the camera Nazis were definitely out in numbers. Anyone going to any of the upcoming shows... be careful while taking pictures. No flash for sure, turn the screen off on your digital cameras, be discreet. I saw ppl being pulled from their seats left and right for taking pics.

2.) I'm not sure if Adam intentionally changed "Eon Blue..." or if he got a little careless, screwed up, and then just went with it... but it was not the same. Still good... but not the same. Then Justin did some experimenting at the beginning of The Patient as well.

3.) From my seat (4th row, 1st balcony, right side), I *REALLY* had a hard time making out what Maynard was saying between songs. It was just too "boomy", but I really kind of expected that. Damn those balcony seats ;)

4.) Maynard's dancing... he was definitely having fun with the show. Several times I noticed him just playfully moving along to the music. Amusing...

5.) One of the "interludes"... I want to say it was before Vicarious.... it was pretty cool to see Adam, Maynard, AND Danny all contributing by playing on their respective keyboards and electronic devices. Only Justin was left to using his regular instrument... with his back to the crowd.

Hmm... maybe more to add later...

Anyway, for my 24th TOOL show, they did not disappoint... (but honestly, when have they ever?) I'd have liked this tour to have a little longer setlist, but it's kinda cool to see them just come out and take a fun, relaxed approach to playing again, instead of the very somber and serious tone of the Lateralus tours. Other than security, and the slightly "boomy" sound from where I was sitting, I have no complaints. Thanks for another great show guys, and I'll see ya in New York in two weeks.

dirtyrockstar
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
i don't know if this has been asked yet, but before the show while the music was playing they played a track of two guys talking/arguing about that black metal band. does anyone where i can get this from?

btw: i was secton D - AA - seat 2

mexican guy with big nappy black hair and green shirt :)

It is at the end of Mushroomhead's original release of XX. It's this guy calling about an ad in the paper for a black metal band, but he takes black literally, and then just keeps fucking with the guy.

I's muthafuckin evil. I got a long goddamn finger nail scratch a mutherfuckers eye out. I's muthafuckin evil Joe.

You aint shot shit, shot your muthafuckin load in your hand.

yeah it's pretty funny shit, but hard to find now, since Mushroomhead got on a major label. I think I may still have that cd somewhere, but it was scratched so I bought a new one.

SilverGrudge
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
It is at the end of Mushroomhead's original release of XX. It's this guy calling about an ad in the paper for a black metal band, but he takes black literally, and then just keeps fucking with the guy.

I's muthafuckin evil. I got a long goddamn finger nail scratch a mutherfuckers eye out. I's muthafuckin evil Joe.

You aint shot shit, shot your muthafuckin load in your hand.

yeah it's pretty funny shit, but hard to find now, since Mushroomhead got on a major label. I think I may still have that cd somewhere, but it was scratched so I bought a new one.

ah thanks. that shit had me laughing pretty hard, and i guess i was the only person around me that was listening to it cause people started looking at me like, "wtf are you laughing at?" it was great..

Requiem087
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM

The one song that was reaaaaaaallllllllly heavy on bass, just a little bit before they went on, was a song by Kraftwerk, called Vitamin. My old roommate use to listen to them 24/7

Amazing show. Simply amazing. I don't have much to say that others haven't already said. I was in Section F, row A with my twin brother, and we both swore the balcony was going to come off at any minute. That would have made for a very interesting evening. I think it was great to see them so relaxed and enjoying the crowd. Maybe others saw it in a different way, but they seemed really appreciative.

Natalie Portman
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I can honestly say there were lots of real TOOL fans there. EVERYONE in the auditorium was singing along with every song. There was some crazy energy going on there! Some dude couldn't find his seat so he wedged in between me and the chick next to me until halfway through the patient. He caused a huge ruckuss when he discovered that he wasn't supposed to be there, and kind of killed the patient for me. Other than that, AMAZING show.

Natalie Portman
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
The one song that was reaaaaaaallllllllly heavy on bass, just a little bit before they went on, was a song by Kraftwerk, called Vitamin. My old roommate use to listen to them 24/7

Amazing show. Simply amazing. I don't have much to say that others haven't already said. I was in Section F, row A with my twin brother, and we both swore the balcony was going to come off at any minute. That would have made for a very interesting evening. I think it was great to see them so relaxed and enjoying the crowd. Maybe others saw it in a different way, but they seemed really appreciative.

I swear I heard a Sevendust riff in one of the pre-show songs. I know it wasn't them, but there was a guitar riff in there that sounds like it was ripped from them.

Haha, I was on the first balcony, and it sure as shit was shaking at times!

texan
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM

Where am I? :(

I know Sec C, Row BB, Seat 4. :)

biozepox
05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I can honestly say there were lots of real TOOL fans there. EVERYONE in the auditorium was singing along with every song. There was some crazy energy going on there! Some dude couldn't find his seat so he wedged in between me and the chick next to me until halfway through the patient. He caused a huge ruckuss when he discovered that he wasn't supposed to be there, and kind of killed the patient for me. Other than that, AMAZING show.

i was sitting right behind you! that motherfucker almost ruined it, almost, but he didnt.

awesome show

popped my tool cherry

mr_fang
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Micro-review from my vantage point (floor, Section D, Row G, Seat 1):

AMAZING.

This was the first time I've seen Tool, and I was completely overwhelmed. I came up from Austin and arrived just in time to hear the first strains of Lost Keys just as I was walking up the outside steps. As I stepped into the auditorium itself, the band kicked into Rosetta Stoned and I had a religious experience for the next 90 minutes. Blame Hofmann!

But I'm sure it sounded great even for those who weren't on psychedelics.

Did anyone else record the show? If so, please PM me.

cant_be_faded
05-09-2006, 07:44 PM
So basically we are all in agreement that the security was the only thing that kept this from being sheer perfection

btw, section A, row L, seat 7, all the way at the edge
The crowd could have been into it a little better from where I was, but still way more energy in this concert than I expected

Awesome show.

lzep86
05-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Fucking amazing experience. The energy was great, that balcony shook pretty fucking hard at the beginning. I was Sec. J, Row C, Seat 1. Great view, I can't imagine there being a bad seat in that place. This was my first Tool concert and it was everything I'd dreamed of and more. They really blew me away by how relaxed they were, and at the same time playing so tightly. It was one sound, one band, not four individual dudes playing different instruments. I have to say the highlight for me was getting to see Danny. All of us who got to see him got to see one of (if not THE) best drummers of all time. The guy dominated, just made your jaw drop watching him. I'll be back for the Fall tour.

#Notion
05-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the pics operativex. It was a bitch getting cameras in there. I stuffed mine in my shoe, and the security guard scanned that foot TWICE.. I was so nervous, but it didn't go off. I even went and put my camera back in my car and then went back AGAIN for it after I saw they were kinda slack on the metal detectors. Unfortunately I was right next to a guard the whole time, so I didn't get to take anything once I got in with it.

erkee
05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=optimistic-pessimist]Hehe... Sunken Garden Theater? I was there. What a great show.... on my birthday no less. It was my little brother's first ever concert (TOOL or otherwise) too.

That was the one... when he came out face painted white and bra and everything as many have witnessed... just pushing the envelope and first hearing him dedicate Pushit to his son Devo. A lasting experience for me and my friedns and the beginning of our no-stop addiction to Tool.

StereoScopicLenses
05-10-2006, 08:45 AM
those PICS you took came out rather well. I had a good laugh when the guy in the NIN shirt was throwing up 'the shocker" in the pic at the end of the show. Strike a pose!

optimistic-pessimist
05-10-2006, 09:27 AM
That was the one... when he came out face painted white and bra and everything as many have witnessed... just pushing the envelope and first hearing him dedicate Pushit to his son Devo. A lasting experience for me and my friedns and the beginning of our no-stop addiction to Tool.

Yeah... actually Devo was there. I saw Maynard carrying him around the parking lot and the tour bus after the show. It was kinda cool to see, but it also meant there was no way I was going to interrupt to try to talk to Maynard. Out of all the shows I've been to, I don't think I've ever had as much a chance to have an uninterrupted conversation with him (there was NO one else around, not even security, and the tour bus was completely exposed), but at the same time, it was the worst possible circumstances. Still, a great show and a cool memory. :)

edit: Whoops... gotten off topic here. Sorry....

STONEDAGAIN
05-10-2006, 09:52 AM
first tool show!! sat in row d blew my fucking mind, the security sucked though he kept shining the flashlight in my eyes. i saw adam shake that guys hand after he got the pick hold on to that shit forever.

thinking man
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I gotta say at least you respected MJK's time with lil Devo. Good on ya man. I know the temptation was there, but you respected the line and didn't cross it.

optimistic-pessimist
05-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I gotta say at least you respected MJK's time with lil Devo. Good on ya man. I know the temptation was there, but you respected the line and didn't cross it.

Thanks. Even back then (3rd TOOL show, 5th concert ever) I had enough sense and respect to know how to respect boundaries like that. It was frustrating though... hehe...

epinephrine_redux
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I did hear about blair being there, somewhere around the mixing board, probably with his cherished coleman.

Nah. Sans-Coleman. He did have a quite attractive lady at his side, and he was at the mixing board (on the left, facing the stage) for a little. He walked backstage right down the aisle and through the door left of the stage. If you would've looked around you would've seen him (he's pretty fucking hard to miss).

schism_46_2
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Great Fuckin Show!!!!!!!!!!! Makes number 11 for me and i think they get better everytime i see em!!!!!!!!!!!! even though pelham in the pouring ass rain is hard to beat!!!!!!!!!! can't wait til fall!!!!!! gonna be another road trip!!

cfdrummer
05-10-2006, 10:56 PM
The show was my first Tool concert, got amazing seats; section C row O seat 1-3. Gotta say that every concert, other than Tool, from now on won't be as entertaining as that one was. I love those pics, props on having the balls to take them and I can't wait to see some video and audio! I almost caught the drum head Adam threw, if I could jump 3 inches higher it would be mine, but those people a few rows back in Section D are lucky, enjoy the head! I also had a guy sneak himself next to me for the entire concert which kinda sucked but hey, it's Tool!

#Notion
05-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Nah. Sans-Coleman. He did have a quite attractive lady at his side, and he was at the mixing board (on the left, facing the stage) for a little. He walked backstage right down the aisle and through the door left of the stage. If you would've looked around you would've seen him (he's pretty fucking hard to miss).

He was also standing out front, although no one seemed to care

plexus
05-11-2006, 12:14 AM
i ran into him out front and said hi to him. it was next to where they were selling stuff.

n0nenull
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM

great pics..i can see myself in some of your pics lol.nice i gotta keep those around

mindseye
05-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Yeah, I meet and shook his hand as he was walking into the lobby area before the show. But I wonder who that blonde girl was that was with him?

TheSalaminizer
05-12-2006, 06:14 AM
Yeah definetly Meshuggah towards the end. Fucking great band.

optimistic-pessimist
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Another comment about the show... I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Maynard said "the devil" right in the middle of Stinkfist. It was right after the Portuguese lines, and the "relax... relax... relax.... relax...." part. Normally he yells something kinda like "Rrrright!"... but instead, he just said "the devil"... just matter-of-factly spoken. It sounded so funny and out of place. Anyone? No?

BoomShakaLaka
05-12-2006, 07:32 AM
did anyone notice the bad ass voice effect maynard used during i believe it was Rosetta Stoned that made him sound like a robot, it was when he was singing the chorus part at the end. i'm not talking about the mega-phone he used, because i saw him step on the pedal when he was singing.

Also i heard adam mess up when we played the intro to Lateralus, i sounds like he accidentaly hit a wrong string, but regardless of what happend it was an amazing show, and i thank ticketmaster for fucking up making me move from section N ALLLLL the way up to the 2nd row. i even caught a water bottle maynard threw, and half of the setlist adam threw but i ended up giving the setlist to another fan behind me

dcook1660
05-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Yeah definetly Meshuggah towards the end. Fucking great band.

Do you have any suggestions on a particular album to start with or which album has the tracks that were played before the show?

goosenesque
05-12-2006, 09:27 AM
HAHAHA Adam, I noticed the "THE DEVIL" comment Maynard makes, but when when I posted about it I think I posted something about distribution of the bootleg so my post got deleted. I literally busted out laughing when I heard that part.

solidabyss
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Another comment about the show... I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Maynard said "the devil" right in the middle of Stinkfist. It was right after the Portuguese lines, and the "relax... relax... relax.... relax...." part. Normally he yells something kinda like "Rrrright!"... but instead, he just said "the devil"... just matter-of-factly spoken. It sounded so funny and out of place. Anyone? No?
at the fort worth show during the lateralus shows he said "fort worth" instead of "right" i thought it was pretty cool

STONEDAGAIN
05-12-2006, 01:57 PM
ya so idecided not to smoke at this concert or take any psycadelics i wanted to let this one sink in it was my first tool concert an i wanted to remember it .i was in the fourth row nearest to adam,the concert ws badass an even know they were out of sink a few times i hear that they played a lot better las time they came to reunion arena, has any one herd of a date for august? cause their tour runs through october im also trying to finsd some good pics from the show

imitatio
05-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Hello all...

Section A row F

If I was a row closer, I would've had half a view of a stage and another half of the moster amp racks setup on the floor.

I woke up that morning and decided I would regret it if I didn't see the show. I had tickets through a broker only to be called back cuz they were sold to someone else. So that morning I looked through craigslist and found a single ticket for $250. Worth it. Worth twice that much in my evaluation. 4th show. I normally go with my sis, and it is quite a cool thing that we both share a love for, but she wasnt willing to cash out and I didnt have the funds for both of us. Wasn't the same without her.

Unlike any other band I have seen live, the greatest thing for me in seeing TOOL is the opportunity for me to praise them for all that they do. I know they can't hear ME clapping, but it's all I got for them, and considering what they do for me, it's the most I can do.

Side note- I met some of you from TA and unfortunately I've had issues from day one with my account or my computer not letting me sign on and have had no response from anyone on there to help out. So needless to say when people saw my TA shirt and asked "what's your name on TA?" I said "imitatio but you've never seen me online". So if anyone is kind enough to lend me a hand on trying to help me solve this, please PM me and your assistance is much appreciated! I'm looking forward to getting to know my fellow tool enthusiasts here and on TA. I promise I am not a (complete) moron when it comes to this and there is some legitimate glitch going on with my account. Whenever I attempt to login, it simply wipes the username and password clean with no "invalid username or password" message. I'm outta ideas and have tried logging in on other computers as well....frustrating after the money punted up almost a year ago!!

gbaby11020
05-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh man..that was the best show ive EVER been to!!! I can not believe how awesome it was! I was in Sec E row H seat 7.I got to meet the band(besides maynard, of course) hanging around the tour buses afterwards. Adam was so nice, and seemed completely humble signing my stuff..Justin was really cool and awesome, he seemed so glad to be shaking my hand. needless to say i was in awe....and still am

BoomShakaLaka
05-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Man it's fucked up, they played Right In Two in Chicago......man that's gay,well i guess we have to wait until the fall to hear it...

TheSalaminizer
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Do you have any suggestions on a particular album to start with or which album has the tracks that were played before the show?
The album being played was the new one, Catch 33, which is great. But I'd start out with Chaosphere its my favorite.