Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

NateDawg
05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Same Setlist as last two shows:

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocolypse / The Patient
Sober
Lateralus

*Break*

Vicarious
Aenema

Everyone sat on Marnard's riser after Lateralus and they had a little get together/conversation..

Maynard said "Technical Difficulties" before 46 & 2 and some one else (I believe Adam's guitar Tech) played the entire song . . .

Quote of the night
Maynard:
"I believe we put a record out this week.. Go buy a bunch of copies so I can lose lots of money in your little town."

Great show... As expected...

more re: Technical Difficulties

Not exactly sure what happened.. But Adam sat out the entire song... But still.. The guy (Who I believe was his tech) did a fantastic job.. Just goes to prove once again that knowing the songs of the band that you're working for could lead to you being on stage once and a while...

Can you tell me more I want to know more

Wish I had more for you.. From my view point (Justin's Side).. There was a fairly long pause after "The Pot" .. Looked like some activity going on around Adam's side of the stage.. Maynard Said "Technical Difficulties" and a few seconds later they started 46 & 2... When I looked back over towards Adam.. Adam wasn't there and there was another guy playing guitar...

Like I said.. He played the song near perfectly..

After the song.. Maynard said his name (I didn't catch it) and then he said "Former Taliban." and eveyone laughed, then Adam was back out for the next song...

jarfey
05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
WOW!
Setlist was about the same as the last shows, sorry i cant be more specific but im just so pumped. First Tool show, i just cant think straight right now. So Awesome!
Tonight was the luckiest night of my life. me and my buddy were so bummed that we couldnt get tickets, we tried to get them but couldnt afford the 300 dollar rape price. our last resort was the rainbar bar and grill 107.5 give-away. unbelieveable. me and my bud put our names in with about a thousand others. first one pulled is his. Pair of Tool tickets. Second named called is mine. A'mped motocross tickets for tomorrow night. we didnt even stay to talk, we hightailed it out of there and jumped in line completely in awe.
The show was just awesome, couldnt have asked for anything better. maynard was killing me up there grooving to the songs. loved it. the rest will come back to me soon, so ill get back to you ya'll.

Briznitch
05-05-2006, 10:31 PM
UM YEAH that was what we call "The Shit". I was 20 ft. away from my favorite band rocking hard as shit, and I could see everything. I got in line at 8:30-ish and they were already halfway done with Rosetta by the time I got inside. (Which sucked a huge fat ass but what can ya do?) Grabbed a beer and headed towards the middle area. Adam jacked up The Pot in the beginning and forgot to come in during verse 1, but besides that song was mostly on point. Maynard, Justin and Danny were almost perfect, very on top of their game I thought. Some asian guy played guitar instead of Adam on 46&2 (he looked asian to me), I didn't know what was going on. But he did damn good. So damn cool to be that close and see everything easily, being a short mofo. The crowd was cool around where I was too, Justin's side. The pain in the ass was the bouncers shining flashlights on every fucking body. Dude, thanks for the light in my eyes but I'm trying to watch the show. Most definitely worth the money, and got some badass merch - the poster and the white tour shirt. The stage was so small, they only had 2 screens on it, and 2 on the walls. Highlights for myself were Lateralus, Vicarious and The Patient. And the talkbox on Jambi was the shit!

Oh yeah, how about that parking garage? FUCK!

As far as the guy playing for Adam, to me it seemed as if Adam was screwing up The Pot left and right and for some reason needed to "sit out" a song. Not sure but that's how it seemed. I was on Justin's side and could see Adam tuning his guitar at the first part of 46&2 backstage, when the other guy was playing. Then he was just kind of hanging back there. Maynard was just staring at the guy playing guitar, making motions toward him and shit. Then towards the end of the song, he had another cowboy hat, and put it on him. Both of them rockin in hats, nice!

And I must say, Maynard was doing some fuckin badass funny dances tonight for sure. I like the whole arm movements he was doing at the end of 46&2, funny guy that Maynard. I wonder if anybody got a recording, I didn't get searched going in but once inside, security was kind of all over everybody, even for texting on their cells. BUT it was nice to not see blue screens in front of your face the entire show.

And my favorite Maynardism was right before Aenima, it was short and sweet: "PEACE OUT!" hahaha

MJudge
05-05-2006, 11:13 PM
awesome show a little dissappointed it was same setlist from the past 3 shows. wanted to hear 10000 days . hopewfully next time around. amazing show in such a small venue! danny had a Lakers #8 jersey on.

LostSniperLV
05-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Just got back. With a friend who said "I dont know one song these guys sing"....

Waited in line from 6:45 until the doors opened at 7:30. Huge line down Harmon...longest I have ever seen in 12 years in Vegas. Crowd was mellow in line.

Walked in and noticed how close the stage was. It is like a High school Gym....so small, bar is 4 steps from a good view of the stage.

Maynard said something about a "buck fifty", afer saying "LAS VEGAS" after the opener.

Highlights for me : Jambi, The Patient, Rosetta Stoned...I did not want that aas the opener when I read about the other set lists.....but Holy Crap...THe Lost Keys start up was PERFECT for a live show..

Crowd went nuts for: Vicarious, Adema, 46&2, Sober....

Moment for my Tool Virgin: The Pot...at about 3:40 on the track on the CD. His face droppped and the end he was like "Hold Crap....THAT was good.."

Moment they all chilled out on the stage was cool.

Big 4 way hug at the end was sweet....Maynard did not seem as interested in it as the other fellows.....might just have caught him off guard.....

Song on the speakers right after the concert was "Rock Superstar" From Cypress.....Crowd liked that....

Good Night for me....Not life changing or anthing....just enjoyable..

tidewell
05-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Like I said.. He played the song near perfectly..

After the song.. Maynard said his name (I didn't catch it) and then he said "Former Taliban." and eveyone laughed, then Adam was back out for the next song...

I believe that the name was Nigel Tufnel

dirtyrockstar
05-06-2006, 12:10 AM
I believe that the name was Nigel Tufnel

That is the name of the guitar player in Spinal Tap.

dvn
05-06-2006, 02:13 AM
It was Tim Caliente.. which I think Maynard also dedicated a song at Asbury Park 97 to him as well...

Only thing I found on google about a "Tim Caliente" is this:

"who was photographed by Tim Caliente, Oakley’s in-house photographer, in Los Angeles"

which would then kind of make sense on how they knew him because Maynard did that Oakley ad with the squid/predator headdress..

-dvn

lvpickle
05-06-2006, 10:10 AM
This is gonna be long. Hope that is not a problem...

We got there at just before 6:00. The doors didn't open until 7:30 and the line was just around the corner on the street. It wan't really that many people. They just don't let you wait inside. The guys in line in front of me paid around $250 bucks for their tickets and drove in from Bakersfield. They said they got their at 2:00 and there were already people lined up. The people in line in front of them had new Tool concert shirts. They had been to Coachella and said that it rocked.

About a half hour before the show, security guards started walking the line, which was now at least a 1/4 block long on the street alone. They were telling everyone that if you took your phone out, started moshing, or crowd surfing you were out no questions asked. And if they confiscated your property, you were not getting it back.

We got inside and there was plenty of room to move around. The Joint is probably about as big as a big high school gym, as someone else mentioned. There is a floor area and two tiers with rails going back to a long bar. It is a reall cool layout. You have a pretty good view from almost anywhere. If you are on the back tier, you are pretty much eye-level with the stage which is kind of cool, too. Part of our group grabbed a spot on the second tier rail and hung out there. I was going to as well until I walked down onto the floor and saw Danny's drum set only 15 feet away. I went back up and told everybody that I was staying on the floor and they were like "Go enjoy! We'll see you after the show." My son came down there with me.

The guys standing next to us had also driven up from Southern California. They also paid over $250 for their tickets. We had a good conversation about concerts and such for the 45 minutes before the show. One of them had never seen Tool. I told him he was in for a treat.

A long introductory note started at just after 8:30, the beginning of Lost Keys. The band walked out onto the stage one at a time. I think it was Justin, Danny, Adam, and Maynard. Danny gave a big wave as he walked to his set. Adam just gave a small wave and a little smile. Maynard came out with a pack on his back. He said "Las Vegas" then started tromping around as Rosetta Stoned started. Just before he was to start talking his part, he dramatically removed a microphone from the pack, it reminded me of a CB radio mike, and started spitting those machine gun lyrics. Very cool!

After that, my distinct memories are less clear. I get so lost in the moment that I have trouble remembering the order of events. I'm glad there are people who can remember set lists in order. I can't.

Maynard did talk a bit. After the first song or two he said,"Vegas, I am down a buck fifty. I need some love. I need a miracle." Then after the next song he said something like, "I hear we had a new album come out this week. Go out and buy a bunch of copies so I can afford to lose a lot of money in your silly little town...Well...not like it's YOUR silly little town...but this town..." At one point he also said "Do you ever get the feeling that magic is real?" He didn't stomp around as much as I remember. He pretty much swayed and danced in that Maynard-way in place up behind Adam. As far as singing goes, he was on tone and time pretty consistently. (to be continued)

Vicenza
05-06-2006, 10:49 AM
fantastic show. note -there is absoloutely no point in standing in line early for a show here since the venue is so small and so well laid out that you're guaranteed a great spot anywhere inside. i got there a tad after 8pm (after parking lot hell, as some of you mentioned) and grabbed a couple of drinks and just walked a few feet from the front stage, dead center, just about 5 feet away from the moshing area.

i had an absolute blast. drove from Los Angeles just for it, and well worth it. it's one of the best venues out there which considering its size, consistently has great acts performing.

danny's ability is so overwhelimg and amazing to watch. what a drummer. maynard looked rock n' roll icon cool with no shirt, faded jeans, cowboy hat and belt, aviator glasses, and that awesome cb radio he used for the intro to rosetta stoned, strapped to his back. justin was fantastic, but adam did seem to miss a few chords throughout, and then they had that guy jump in to play 46&2, which was crazy dead on. great job.

just an awesome experience. now driving back to L.A. in the desert sun.
peace out.

lvpickle
05-06-2006, 11:10 AM
(continued from previous post)

As someone pointed out, Justin didn't come in on time for the beginning of The Pot. There was a slight hesitation then everyone was on the same page again. Other than that Justin BLEW ME AWAY! I could tell that his parts on this new album are intricate, but when I watched him live and compared the way he was playing the older stuff with the 10,000 days tracks...un-freaking-believeable...the man is an awesome musician.

What can one say about Danny that has not already been said? Being able to be that close and watch him work was a treat beyond compare. Another master at work! And he makes it look relatively effortless...

During The Pot, Adam was talking to one of the stage crew. After it was over, he disappeared and there was a short delay during which Maynard looked a little annoyed. He was gesturing off stage. Then the guest guitarist came out and did an awesome job on 46&2. Maynard kind of messed with him during the parts of the song where he wasn't singing, even putting a straw hat on the guitarist's head.

So, overall the vocals were kind of down at the beginning and there were a couple of minor mistakes, but their ability to reproduce such complex music live is unmatched. As the show wore on, you could feel them come together and really feeeling it. The visuals were cool, mostly psychedelic images, fractals and such. The colors and lighting fit the mood of the music well, I thought. This was the best rock and roll show I have ever seen. Tool is an extraodinary band.

This was my third Tool concert. I have been a fan for many years now, but circumstances were such that I only got to see them when they came to Vegas. I saw them the last two times they played at the basketball arena here in 98 and 02. Even though I was not on the floor I was blown away by their live performances! I went with my daughter, my son and my son's good friend, all in their mid-teens. I introduced the boys to their first concert a couple of years ago. We have seen a few together every since. This was my daughter's first concert. Needless to say, she was blown away, as were all of us. We were all joking afterwards that seeing Tool as her first concert might set her up for dissapointment in the future. We also met up with two other friends, a married couple, who are big live music fans. They both like Tool but had never seen them live either. The husband loves Rush and commented almost immediately afterwards about how good Danny is, he even said he thinks Danny is Neil Peart's heir apparent in the rock drumming world. I said, "That's what I've been trying to TELL you!"

For all of those knocking the new music, you gotta see it live if for no other reason than to watch Danny and Justin at work. Good times!

Zombie_Jesus
05-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Incredible show I was so excited to hear Rosetta stoned and the pot LIVE! The stage at the joint is so small that they could only fit two screens on the stage. There were two on both sides of the stage also. The crowd was insane, the band kicked ass. This was the closest ive ever seen Tool I was about two rows (of people) from the rail BADASS!! This was my 3rd Tool show, in '98 and '02 I saw them at The Thomas and Mack, a huge arena. Just thought they should have played a song or two more. Other than that I will remember this show for the rest of my life!

MrVinnie77
05-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I tried to text myself as much Maynard chatter as possible:
1) "I'm down a buck fifty."
2) "Had enough? (dons his cowboy hat) Ever get the feeling magic is real?"
3) "Apparently we had an album come out this week. Buy a bunch of 'em so I can lose my money in your silly town...."
4) "Thank you for coming down. Good night."
5) Peace out!

I know there was a bit more talk, but i was up in the balcony and unable to hear everything. I need better ears.

There were excellent, although short, new intros on "The Patient," "Sober" and a really interesting ethereal build up to "Vicarious."

Briznitch
05-06-2006, 01:56 PM
LVPickle - it was Adam who messed up The Pot, not Justin. Adam forgot to come in early enough, then was kind of off until Danny kicked in the drum beat. Then he forgot to come in during the verse 1, when he comes in toward the end of the verse. Came in 4 measures too late. Seemed like something was wrong or something, maybe guitar trouble. I'll tell you this: I seriously doubt he was crying on his phone about stocks LOL! That's ridiculous. Stop playing mid-show at a concert because your worried about your stocks? Riiiiiight. I saw him most of the time, and he was standing by his guitar tech area, tuning and shit.

fearziz
05-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Good show A few things maynard said that were left out was their new cd came out, "or though sources say" I believe that's correct..? None the less he also said "is it loud enough!" before 46&2 because he couldn't head the techs talking.

Did you all also notice him talking to Camella when he pointed out something funny in the crowd which she watched behind his stand during a song? Afterwards they both laughed at each other?

Justin is awesome. This cd is what it is because of his bass playing (not to downgrade anyone else).

Furture more Adam did go off stage but all in all he seemed "okay" even waving at the balcony a couple times.....Adam is just a laid back guy so I never expect him to do anything other than play with a blank look on his face.

Eithwe way I cant wait till the u.s. tours!

On a side note, when did Maynard get the chineese tattoos on his left arm? I also assume he isn't juimping around like 2002 because he's getting old! lol, their all over 40 guys.....

roldgold
05-06-2006, 03:58 PM
It was Tim Caliente.. which I think Maynard also dedicated a song at Asbury Park 97 to him as well...

Only thing I found on google about a "Tim Caliente" is this:

"who was photographed by Tim Caliente, Oakley’s in-house photographer, in Los Angeles"

which would then kind of make sense on how they knew him because Maynard did that Oakley ad with the squid/predator headdress..

-dvn

It's Cadiente, he is the bands photographer, sure did an excellent job on 46&2!!!!!

Cid
05-06-2006, 04:13 PM
fuckin awesome show...that's all i can say. i doubt i'll ever see them in such a small place again. rosetta live, was insane.

leeech
05-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Justin was more animated last night than I have ever seen him. Towards the end of Aenema, he swung his head back and started, like, shouting at the crowd. He was stomping his feet and blowing his hair out of his face. His eyes were all bugged out. It was great.
The vibe in this crowd before the show was better than I've seen in a long time. It was cool to see so many people who were so happy to be where they were. As someone who is normally not a big fan of people in general, it's refreshing to be in a room with that many people who know the words to The Patient.
I figure, if you know the words to The Patient, you can't be all that bad.

~magdalena~
05-06-2006, 08:32 PM
that show was the amazing! i have never seen a show at the joint before and i can't belive how small and intamite it was! i was front row pressed against the railing on justin's side! it went by way to fast though, too bad they had to catch a plane they could of played more, they were just warming up by "The Patient"! can't wait till they tour the U.S i'm going to all the shows in cali, probebly won't be that close again i'll never forget it. i love how they opend the show, rosetta stoned was the shit live..... everyone wen't crazy when they played "Ænema"! that guy playing for adam on forty six & 2 did a awsome job!!!!! i wish they would of played a song off of opiate. oh, and what the fuck is up with the security guards there!!!

chunk
05-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Before any of the band members came on stage the lights went out...the crowd goes wild...and then began this crazy earth trembling bass note that lasted for minutes...crowd goes even wilder...which shook the entire room and probably scared the hell out of any hotel guests trying to take a nap. This then led into "Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned" and couldn't have been a better choice to start the show.

One song that really impressed me played live (and it hasn't been one of favorites until now) was "Stinkfist." The way the song begins with Adam shrieking his guitar and then BAAAAM!!!!! Danny is beating the living shit out of his drums...Simply amazing. Well, those were just a couple of my favorite moments that I wanted to share. "PEACE OUT!"

Gumball
05-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Before any of the band members came on stage the lights went out...the crowd goes wild...and then began this crazy earth trembling bass note that lasted for minutes...crowd goes even wilder...which shook the entire room and probably scared the hell out of any hotel guests trying to take a nap. This then led into "Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned" and couldn't have been a better choice to start the show.

One song that really impressed me played live (and it hasn't been one of favorites until now) was "Stinkfist." The way the song begins with Adam shrieking his guitar and then BAAAAM!!!!! Danny is beating the living shit out of his drums...Simply amazing. Well, those were just a couple of my favorite moments that I wanted to share. "PEACE OUT!"

Yep. Exactly.

One of the more heavy openings Ive seen in 100s of various hard rock shows and various bands.

I was surprised how small the place was also- I know it has a capacity of about 1500 not including the balcony but It didnt even seem like there were 1,000 people there- more like 7-800.

Intense show.

Highlights: first 20 mins- epic opening right into Stinkfist; schizm; the patient; Vicarious as their last song.

Also of note, everyone was high fiving each other around us and friendly- pretty rare for a packed hard rock show- im guessing everyone, like myself, was just ecstatic from simply getting access to such a unique occasion hence the positive vibes amongst strangers.

Nice visuals of water close ups on the Patient and flames on Schizm.

Cid
05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Highlights: first 20 mins- epic opening right into Stinkfist; schizm; the patient; Vicarious as their last song.

Aenema was the last song....the last 3 songs were a perfect choice though, lateralus, vicarious, aenema. perfect way to end the show.

overstimulation
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
It's Cadiente, he is the bands photographer, sure did an excellent job on 46&2!!!!!

Tim Cadiente is one of the most insane, bad ass photographers in the world. He's a legend in the music/photography biz, and has a very well deserved rep for his work. What bragging rights to be able to jam out on 46 & 2.... !!!

MJudge
05-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Highlights were definitely The Pot, Jambi and The Patient. couldve done w/out the 'radio' hits. Theyve played sober everytime ive seen them LOL still worth every penny of the $66.66!
WHEN WILL THEY PLAY 10,000 DAYS(wings pt2)?