PDA

View Full Version : Its music leave it at that

TheVirussX
03-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Yes I know this is an opinion forum and all soley based for the interpretations of fans/listeners of Tool, but dammit IT'S MUSIC!!!! Nothing more and nothing less, Yes Maynard has opnions to express but does i have to all about that. These four musicians have dedicated a part of thier life to give us (in my opinion) great music to listen to and cherish. Does it matter what the lyrics say (yes i'm sure they have meaning) but vocals in Tool are only 1/4of the whole. All i'm saying is we should focus on the whole not just one part of this. And yes everyone has a right to express thier beliefs and this is mine. ENJOY THE DAMN MUSIC TOO!!! Some people care too much about the lyrics and deeper meaning but sometimes they forget about the music. I just want everyone to remeber this. I kno I'm ranting but I just felt like saying this. I'm a fan of Tool for the whole not just a part, though maynard expressions on his life and others in song are awsome. Well thats all i have to say.

JustifiedDenial
03-30-2003, 05:27 AM
Believe it or not, a lot, if not all of us enjoy the music in addition to the lyrics. And you said it yourself "yes i'm sure they have meaning" - it's up to the listener to listen to the songs, absorb the lyrics and the music, digest it and form their own opinions about it.
Also keep in mind that many people enjoy the lyrics because they are interesting, and/or meaningful. If they find happiness by wrenching out every ounce of meaning from those words, then good for them - I have nothing against that.

paper_head
03-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Sometimes when I pop one of my Tool cds into my stero, I don't even hear Maynards voice through out the entire disc because I only focuss on only one of the members in Tool. However, I get a much better expierence when I listen to it as a whole and not only focussing on one part. It all depends on what mood I'm in I guess.

4th Eye
03-30-2003, 02:19 PM
The music is what sucked me in first. The music is just so damn good but the lyrics and their meanings to me sucked me even deeper into the mysterious world of Tool. Tool is the only band that gives me something to think by their lyrics. If Maynard would have told his stories and thoughts in a book, I never would have even paid attention to them.

spiralion
04-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 4th Eye
The music is what sucked me in first. The music is just so damn good but the lyrics and their meanings to me sucked me even deeper into the mysterious world of Tool. Tool is the only band that gives me something to think by their lyrics. If Maynard would have told his stories and thoughts in a book, I never would have even paid attention to them. wow, that takes me back to the first time I listened to this album. It puts things into perspective too, great words with great music to go along with it or viceversa. The music is kinda the backbone for the words.

DisgracedEffigy
04-09-2003, 12:39 PM
I, too, was dragged in by the music. After hearing undertow, I was hooked. The meanings behind the lyrics are an important part of who and what this band is.

Bonded GR
04-09-2003, 09:18 PM
I have begun to concentrate on many different aspects of the song. For example, the other day I was tapping my fingers to Danny's beat in Lateralis. For the rest of the song, I focused on the drums and how they tied into the rest of the song. Oddly, that gave me a whole new perspective.