PDA

View Full Version : Your gonna hate me but...

toolmaul
05-01-2006, 10:07 PM
This is weird, I know most people on this board probably hate Metallica now, although 10 years ago that wasn't the case, but does anyone else see a similarity between Maynard and James. Both had religious parents, both parents died/had a stroke, both renounced their religion, wrote similar songs, Judith/God that Failed. And Marie/Mama Said
"Fuck your God
Your Lord and your Christ
He did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way"
vs
" I see faith in your eyes
never your hear the discouraging lies
I hear faith in your cries
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by the deepened nail
follow the god that failed"

then they changed their feelings in wings for marie and mama said,
"what have I done to be a son to an angel
what have I done
to be worthy "...
"set as i am in my ways and my arrogance
burden of truth tossed upon non-believers
you were my witness
my eyes, my evidence
judith marie, unconditional one "
and mama said
"Mama now I'm coming home
I'm not all you wished of me
But a mother's love for her son
Unspoken, Help me be
I took your love for granted
And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see"

All 4 are amazingly emotional songs, and weird considering how huge both bands/ all 3, I condsider Judith a missing Tool song anyway, how close both lead singers experiences are
If you're a fan of Jimmy, Judith, and Marie, listen to some Metallica especially God that Failed and Mama Said

rakeshuva
05-02-2006, 07:55 AM
i totally agree. james has said he is sorry about stuff he's said about his parents (like in dyer's eve or god that failed). he refused to play those songs live until recently. although james took several years to turn around, whereas maynard did it more quickly (and through two diff bands i might add).

anyway good post.

tiryth
05-02-2006, 08:13 AM
good post :) i like what you're saying here

jaysis
05-02-2006, 08:19 AM
absolutely. damn good eye!

btw, i love metallica. their newest album was reeeally crappy, but everything before that was great. it's not "cool" to love a big band. and it's really not cool to like a band who is anti-downloading. c'mon guys, it's their job. i wouldn't let you come steal from me either.

drone007
05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
yeh good comparison. i grew up with metallica but i kinda matured out of it. they have some rocking stuff, but it's nowhere near as in depth as the music i listen to now.

Hooker with a Third Eye
05-02-2006, 12:55 PM
i agree with this topic