PDA

View Full Version : hurricane influence?

bikinibandit718
05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
is it just me or does anyone hear a great influence of hurricane katrina in this song / whole album?

i mean shit, i remember watching the people in new orleans...on the TV... right after it happened in fucking disbelief!

i just got back from Biloxi Mississippi and new orleans a few weeks ago. i was there helping victims rebuild... actually seeing it as opposed to watching it on tv was... well there really is no word to describe it. TV did no justice. the amount of damage and debris still there is un-fucking-believable!

anyone get what i am saying? or am i just biased by my own experience?....

vessel
05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
drowned by the ocean...poisoned by his own son. or something like that? whatever, the point being. we did it to ourselves. i hear the points you make and agree wholeheartedly with the connection between katrina and the topics covered in vicarious but this is the point i feel i must elaborate: it's sad yes, but it wasn't a travesty. it was no disaster, for it never need happen. one of the most novel things about being human that so many people over look is the simple fact we love to ignore the obvious. Living in a basin below sea level in a prime hurricane battered area and expecting not to have to face the consequences of mass flooding and the resulting mayhem seriously should be considered for the ultimate Darwin Award. People are fucking stupid and though i sympathize with their plight witht the rest I do not view the sequence of events known as "Katrina" to be a blind-sighted act of nature. I can't wait for Tool to do a post-LA fault line fracture song...Aenema was merely a prelude....but i digress. as always.

bikinibandit718
05-01-2006, 03:42 PM
drowned by the ocean...poisoned by his own son. or something like that? whatever, the point being. we did it to ourselves. i hear the points you make and agree wholeheartedly with the connection between katrina and the topics covered in vicarious but this is the point i feel i must elaborate: it's sad yes, but it wasn't a travesty. it was no disaster, for it never need happen. one of the most novel things about being human that so many people over look is the simple fact we love to ignore the obvious. Living in a basin below sea level in a prime hurricane battered area and expecting not to have to face the consequences of mass flooding and the resulting mayhem seriously should be considered for the ultimate Darwin Award. People are fucking stupid and though i sympathize with their plight witht the rest I do not view the sequence of events known as "Katrina" to be a blind-sighted act of nature. I can't wait for Tool to do a post-LA fault line fracture song...Aenema was merely a prelude....but i digress. as always.

thanks that was very insightful. yeah i am waiting for the post earthquake in cali song too. they just had the aniversary of the big san fransisco earthquake a week ago or something like that. i would never live there... i'm terrified to even visit!

and i do see what u mean by the lower 9th ward district. seeing it in person it was like... even if there was a heavy rain it would have flooded! but that was just a tiny area hit by the hurricane. we drove 3 hours from new orleans up the coast and the whole way it looked like an atomic bomb went off in the ocean.

vessel
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Actually it probably looked like 13 Atomic bombs went off. Apprpximately. Forces of earthly nature are far more powerful then we realise even after witnessing the aftermath first-hand. Another fascinating feature of the contemporary human mind. We try to conceive the actual elements and forces required to cause such destruction but even then we fall far short. I think that's part of the whole ignorance thing. It isn't that we don't see the obvious factor here, it's just that we can't fully comprhend what it is we see. The factor is this: we're rebuilding there. It's not crazy enough to do it once and barely escape, we reel in shock and then as the months move past and the memories wane we do what everyone does. Why else would people still live in trailer parks out in open plains and act shocked when they come out of their storm shelter to find their beloved double-wide missing except for the plumbing...idiots we are. Fucking human species...see now you got me started. Jesus H Roland.

bikinibandit718
05-01-2006, 04:50 PM
haha its ok! please by all means continue!

bikinibandit718
05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
http://community.webshots.com/album/549117165PKaCue

here are my pics if u are interested

prater
05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
I don't feel this song is about any ONE event. Its just about our society as a whole. I don't think its about the war because the war is not so much a tragedy. At least not in the sense that 9/11 or Columbine was a tragedy. Since the begining of time mankind (not americans) has fed on violence and never in the existence of the world has there been complete peace on earth. Only now in our society, most of us don't wage war, so we fight amongst ourselves and glue our eyes to every bit of gore and violence on the TV. Its like Tyler Durden said "We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual War, and our Great Depression is our lives." Its like "Only after disaster can we be resurrected, Its only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." This is the reason people watch Faces of Death, movies like United 93. For the same reason the main Character of Fight Club went to support groups for the terminally ill, or even to Fight Club itself, our society is so sterile that people need to see death just to be reminded that they're alive. Those who have never been directly affected by a tragedy, be it manmade or natural, get their fix of death and destruction (reminders of their mortality) through the media. Its like blood to a vampire. We're all guitly of it, rubber necking as we pass a wreck on the highway, seeing an image on TV of a dead body that although it disgusts us, we just can't turn away. We're just so desensitized that news of rape, robbery, drugs, etc. just isn't news anymore, it feels boring, monotone, just think about it, 9/11 brough americans together in a way they haven't been together in decades, blacks, whites, mexicans all coming together, and it took a tragedy like that to make it happen, same thing with Katrina, only on a smaller scale. Maynard hits the nail right on the head, but I don't think he's speaking about any specific event, just the world in general, and I don't feel like he's condoning or chastizing either in this song, merely stating thats how things are, don't try to deny it cause its true. and he's right.

scar
05-02-2006, 02:15 PM
here is a link to little video that i put together during my last ten days in new orleans. if anyone is interested. i was in downtown N.O. the night before the storm hit, and i was battered by the eye wall of katrina in gulfport, ms. (the first picture is during the most intense part of the storm. 120 mph winds.) i then spent the next day in what was left of downtown gulfport, and then on to the new orleans airport for the next four days. after that, we were on either canal or poydrus for the next three and a half weeks. it was horrible. i do mobile satellite uplinking for media outlets, so wherever there was death, or at least destruction, that's where they sent me. this song is so relevant to my line of work, it's sick. i do not report the news. i just send audio and video up to a satellite, but sometimes it seems like i really am part of a monster (TV.) i relate the "vicarious" story to katrina because of my personal experience. then again, i went straight to boumont (sp) texas for rita. anyway this is what i worked on in my free time the last ten days in downtown destroyed 'nawlins. song is apc's "the vanishing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlWrqJ3Gi7o

kmatrixg
05-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Don't forget AEnima. I think a couple songs are natural destruction related, just because MJK is trying to show people what we are doing to ourselves. We inflict all damage upon ourselves with oil rigging, logging, mining, fossil fuels, and the ungodly amount of chemicals humans spray into their pleading heads each and everyday.

It could be about the hurricane, or it could be a "Flood" type song, where the destruction is mental.

jgrune
05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
is it just me or does anyone hear a great influence of hurricane katrina in this song / whole album?

i mean shit, i remember watching the people in new orleans...on the TV... right after it happened in fucking disbelief!

i just got back from Biloxi Mississippi and new orleans a few weeks ago. i was there helping victims rebuild... actually seeing it as opposed to watching it on tv was... well there really is no word to describe it. TV did no justice. the amount of damage and debris still there is un-fucking-believable!

anyone get what i am saying? or am i just biased by my own experience?....
As a native of New Orleans, sometimes I feel that Mother Nature had wax in her ears when she heard Aenima: "hopeless f!@%ing hole we call LA" and accidentally drowned the wrong La. See you down in Arkansas Bay.