PDA

View Full Version : Remember the "morse code"?

subliminalis1
05-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Check out this newsletter:

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_08.php

Scroll down and look after the photo of the amps, Adams and rams head. There is this:

"• • • - • • - - • - -"

It's the pattern used twice in Jambi at 3:40.

• • • - • • - - • - -• • • - • • - - • - - (break down)

The dots equal one chunk of 3 beats while the dashes equal one chunk of 5 beats.

Anyone else find this amazing?

Carny_Handles
05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
no

spiralout11235
05-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Interesting, not too sure if they connect but its possible.

milair47
05-02-2006, 12:37 PM
does anyone know if the morse code is a word/sentence or is it just jibberish?

bogsnarth
05-02-2006, 02:56 PM
does anyone know if the morse code is a word/sentence or is it just jibberish?
three dots is "s".. i'm not sure about the rest.. and since it's all strung together it's hard to tell when one symbol ends and another begins.

my best guess, going from the wikipedia chart of morse code is S N W W

maybe it's like one of those old text adventures where you tell the computer which direction to go with the first letter of the cardinal directions..

maybe.

milair47
05-05-2006, 11:01 AM
thank you bogsnarth...i didnt even think of wikipedia

xPOGOx
05-05-2006, 11:03 AM
three dots is "s".. i'm not sure about the rest.. and since it's all strung together it's hard to tell when one symbol ends and another begins.

my best guess, going from the wikipedia chart of morse code is S N W W

maybe it's like one of those old text adventures where you tell the computer which direction to go with the first letter of the cardinal directions..

maybe.
Going south, then turning around and going North to get you right where you started seems pretty logical to do before you go west west.

Joey
05-05-2006, 12:56 PM

Scroll down and look after the photo of the amps, Adams and rams head. There is this:

"• • • - • • - - • - -"

The dots equal one chunk of 3 beats while the dashes equal one chunk of 5 beats.

That's definitely it. Nice observation.

jtb
05-05-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't think that is the end of it though.. it seems like he chose that pattern for the breakdown for a reason. I know Blair rambles, but he wouldn't post anything that random and irrelevant for no reason.

moneyisevil
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
um,no, you're all kidding right? the beat to jambi? nice try though

StereoScopicLenses
05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
MESHUGGAH.. this album makes me wanna jam some in the cd player

bogsnarth
05-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Going south, then turning around and going North to get you right where you started seems pretty logical to do before you go west west.
reading one of my posts in utter seriousness also appears to be logical.

SomethingSpecial
05-07-2006, 06:46 PM
LMFAO, you're awesome!
LMAO, you're a moron

Nicolai
05-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Funny when I listened to that pattern in Jambi I thought that the sequence had something to it but couldn't associate anything to it.

That's a good observation and no I don't think it's coincidental, the reason the morse code thing ended up in the newsletter is just Blair's way of saying 'Hey I heard Jambi before you zombies' or perhaps it was a way to see if we could figure out what song he was referring to and nothing more...

BTW the guitar/drum pattern starts at 3:40 and ends at 3:55 it appears again later in the song. check it out and stop flaming (although Vessels post was funny).

Nicolai
05-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Just reading that newsletter it struck me that 4 lines further down Blair writes that he arrived in the studio kitchen at 7:30PM and Jambi is 7:28 long. I know it's stupid but what the hell :)

confidereme
05-10-2006, 02:07 AM
have none of you heard of this website? its called 'google' www.google.com

morse code alphabet found using 'google'

http://www.cwhistory.com/history/TeacherPack/teachimages/morsecode.gif

Muladhara
05-10-2006, 02:29 AM
• • • -
• • - -
• - -
Go

Ashes42
05-10-2006, 03:30 PM
An interesting tidbit, this same EXACT pattern appears in Vicarious starting at about 3:27. There is definatly something more about this code.

lachrymoIogy
05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
An interesting tidbit, this same EXACT pattern appears in Vicarious starting at about 3:27. There is definatly something more about this code. it's rather simple and can be repeated in nearly any number of parts of songs, and no one would REALLY notice. it's all open in the breakdown anyway. not hard to use that over somewhere.

acanterb
05-10-2006, 06:30 PM

"• • • - • • - - • - -"

Yeah! I noticed this a couple days ago when I was trying to pick out patterns in the riffs. I recalled seeing some morse code on Toolband.com in a newsletter, and sure enough - that morse code pattern was on the site.

NOW...any translation? I've tried most of the combinations that I can find and haven't found a discernable word yet.

smeefsmeef
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM
- - - • - - • • - • •

This is the opposite morse code, if it helps. at all.

bogsnarth
05-10-2006, 11:04 PM
• • • -
• • - -
• - -
Go
VUW?

I KNOW! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO WATCH "THE VIEW" FOR CLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm so smart i'm pratcially retarded.

Carny_Handles
05-11-2006, 01:05 PM
An interesting tidbit, this same EXACT pattern appears in Vicarious starting at about 3:27. There is definatly something more about this code.

are you fucking kidding me..
its dots!

IM all for digging deeper into tool, but this is borderline retarded.

kozmik69
05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
According to http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html, it works out to "STIMEM" or maybe "sTIMEm".

The line after the morse code on the news letter is "When the time is right", so there may be some conncection to the word "time".

Doing a simple Google search for "stimem" brings up nothing conclusive. Though in the scientific field it apprears to be an abbrevition for "Stimulated Emission", which according to Wikipedia...

"Although most directly related to the discussion of how lasers work, stimulated emission touches on some of the most basic concepts in physics and the interaction of light and matter. It is a very important and key understanding to the understanding of optics specifically and physics in general."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulated_emission

Just some food for thought....

Dr. Jake Destructo
05-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Yeah. Um. A series of dots and dashes always represents Morse code guys.

M.Luther
05-11-2006, 11:42 PM
According to http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html, it works out to "STIMEM" or maybe "sTIMEm".

The line after the morse code on the news letter is "When the time is right", so there may be some conncection to the word "time".

Doing a simple Google search for "stimem" brings up nothing conclusive. Though in the scientific field it apprears to be an abbrevition for "Stimulated Emission", which according to Wikipedia...

"Although most directly related to the discussion of how lasers work, stimulated emission touches on some of the most basic concepts in physics and the interaction of light and matter. It is a very important and key understanding to the understanding of optics specifically and physics in general."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulated_emission

Just some food for thought....

stimem is also a spyware program according to google. maybe manerd is telling us, it's time to scan our computers?

http://www.oeone.net/spyware-removal/Stimem-exe.html

Valkyrie
05-12-2006, 06:13 AM
How do you assume that dots represent certain beat lengths?

That's where you're losing credibility. If it was somehow defined more conclusively that the dots and dashes had those specific rhythmic intervals, then yes. But right now, you're on drugs.

varialbender
05-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I thought it might be binary instead, and looked around, and there seems to be a link between binary and I Ching, which also seems to have a connection to this album somehow. See what you can come up with.
In binary, as 11101100100, you get 1892.
Does this year mean anything?
The mention of time could imply a date.
There's always the chance of going too deep for nothing, but you never know.

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-14-2006, 12:29 PM
in 1892 the stanley cup was donated by sir frederick stanley, there was an outbreak of cholera in hamburg and Ambercrombie and fitch was founded. Perhaps its a warning of the dangers of consummerism?

eleven_waiting
05-15-2006, 12:02 AM
27 years, 5 months, 28 days, 19 hours, and 12 mins.

27:05:28:19:12:00.0

varialbender
05-15-2006, 07:42 AM
How does that number come from this?

eleven_waiting
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
It don't...it's judst a clock break down of 10,000 days.

Sorry it was sort of random and pointless, I'll remove it if some people like....

paraflux
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
LMAO, you're a moron
LMAO, you're on probation

Inner_Eulogy
05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
it's rather simple and can be repeated in nearly any number of parts of songs, and no one would REALLY notice. it's all open in the breakdown anyway. not hard to use that over somewhere.

Yeah but, knowin Tool....they're up to somethin