PDA

View Full Version : Is he thinking of himself?

stalkingbutler
03-28-2003, 12:47 PM
I know that jesus,l ron hubbard and bill hicks are probably some of the most likely candidates for the subject of this song but recently ive started to view this differently. i really think Maynard is talking about himself in this song. At first listen most are bound to think that Maynard is adressing jesus "Get off your fuckin cross",but this strikes me as being a bit too direct. It sounds so much like its about jesus,that it simply cant be. as we all know tool like to be cryptic especially in regard to lyrics,but if maynards lyrics are this straightforward,people should assume that maybe he is talking about finger fucking in Stinkfist and sodomy in 4 degrees,highly unlikely.So perhaps i think a doubt can be cast on the subject being jesus,its far too obvious. i think the only god like figure that maynard is screaming about here is himself,maynard knows that a lot of people take his word as gospel,maybe hes telling us all thats hes only just a rockstar and that hes an ordinary sod not a messiah that would die for us or instance,or he could be parodying his near messanic status. I hope ive raised a new viewpoint

Nirvana
03-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by stalkingbutler
I hope ive raised a new viewpoint

you certainly did... The lowest

crackerjack
04-02-2003, 11:05 AM
but you have to think
he wrote this song a few years before AENIMA came out
he didn't have that kind of status at the time
sure, we all might have thought he was great
but there were many more people back then that had never even heard of Tool, and definitely not Maynard

what's really going on here, throughout the whole album, is a psychological and emotional cleansing

I believe that M is singing about his persona
The album is called AENIMA
there are many Jung references throughout
Eulogy is no different
the death he is speaking about is not of someone, but a part of his personality

You really should read about Jung's ideas
it will help you understand Tool's songs a lot better

Lachrymologist
04-02-2003, 01:32 PM
When someone says "get off your cross" that means that the person is putting himself into public display to have everyone feel sorry for them. It's not a reference to Jesus.

idontmind462
04-02-2003, 10:25 PM
It's either aboot Maynard or Kurt. Take your pick because you'll never find out.

crackerjack
04-03-2003, 09:53 PM
the only thing I see linking this song to Kurt is the fact that he died and that he was above a crowd often

and I don't think M would be so harsh on Kurt
doesn't he list Nirvana as one of Tool's peers that are now gone?

musically, at the time Nirvana was a breath of fresh air compared to the hairspray rock that had been ruling MTV for 10 years

AENIMA - the whole album is about cleansing yourself

M even says that when you point the finger, you're really just finding problems with people that you reflect on to them
so even if M thought something was wrong with Kurt, he had to look inside himself to discover the real problem

and I can't believe people still think that this is about Jesus why waste time and art by bringing him up again
enough was said about him in Opiate
there is a natural progression going on from album to album
why take a step back?

idontmind462
04-04-2003, 05:25 AM
I don't have respect for anyone who takes their own life. Anytime I see or read Maynard talking about Kurt there is a sever change in tone. And he can't say Nirvana without giving a smirk or letting out a hm.

I believe however that he could very well be talking about himself. He likes to turn the yous into mes in his head. Or like any great lyricist, he heard the word eulogy and freestyled on it.

The Pink Jeezus
04-10-2003, 12:53 PM
I think this is the most probable meaning of the song. After going through all the tool lyrics you seem to get this idea, maybe false but will have to be workable until proven otherwise, that Maynard was sexually abused as a child. Anyone who knows, probably knows this makes a person rather bitter, and if the person has the right tempormant that can be transmuted into a sort of rebellion against the status quo, which in itself is not a problem, but the anger can become so great that it is all that exists, no longer any reasons. Go back one song to stink fist and look at what I perceive to be maynards disgust and boredom with the extreme hostility ( throw back to Intolerance ) of his persona. Now some people say it could be Jesus or Bill Hicks or Kurt or whatever and I'll address this in my own little way. I highly doubt Maynard would waste the time on Jesus portraying him in this light because I have a little bit more faith in maynards ability to be innovative and not outrightly attack something so old and cliche. Move to bill hicks " Bill, why don't you just stop talking about Kennedy, so I say OK, stop bringing up Jesus" Though the album has a lot of Bill Hicks influences I don't think maynard would right this about him. For one, the guy is fucking dead and a friend of maynards, I really can't imagine him kicking a dead man in the back. Two Bill Hick's rantings were of a highly cathartic nature, like someone said in another post, an emotional and psychological cleansing. And thats exactly what this CD is and especially this song. Being rid of the psychological dysfunction. And as for Kurt, I really can't see him righting a song about a dead rock star, maybe just my opinion but mine none the less. Well, anyone toss in a comment or two if you like and let me know if you can add any to it. Thanks

FlamingEye
04-10-2003, 02:04 PM
ok so i may sound stupid for not knowing this but what was the relationship between kurt and maynard?

crackerjack
04-10-2003, 08:21 PM
I never heard anything about them being friends
or even meeting at all

I have seen M wearing a shirt that said "FREE FRANCIS BEAN"
in an interview
that's funny

Hawk
04-14-2003, 08:14 PM
i believe he is talking to himself or at least refers to himself in this song.

here's a little secret. the distorted mumbling which begins at 5:22 says this: "I'm too smart when you're invisible from the bone and symbol on you, so he bashes his head through the window over-looking the sea, twighlight amber ego, and we were amused by this"

look on maynards lower back and he has a tattoo involving his spine and a scorpion. i think the "bone and symbol" part refers to this tattoo

Mehhico
04-14-2003, 08:48 PM
I think you are very much on the money here. The album is obviously about cleansing, and I believe Maynard is talking about himself, but not the way most of you are looking at it. In a couple of tracks from this album the lyrics deal with (I believe) Maynard during the Undertoe and Opiate era. He was quite an angry character, wasn't he?

So, do you think he could be talking about himself in this era? In H. Maynard speaks of how the birth of his child has helped him to realise and resolve past issues. So maybe he wrote a eulogy for a part of his personality, to illustrate the fact that he has faced these problems and has moved on.

Consider this:
1 - Stinkfist - illustrating how, through their own music, the listeners perform this art of an AEnima.
2 - Eulogy - an example of him cleansing his soul
3 - H. - specifically refers to how situations or new relevations, can help us to realise grey areas in our minds.
5 - 46+2 - demonstrates how one uses the ideas of cleansing the soul to help move to the next stage of evolution.

I think the whole album is one long, detailed explanation of the ideas behind AEnima, lachrymology and Jungian theories, ending with an "eye opener" for the new album.

Bear in mind this is only my thoughts, and I am under the influence of psychadelics ;)

forty6n2
04-16-2003, 07:29 PM
this is kinda funny because i came to the Eulogy part of this whole opinions section to mention the very matter of Maynard talking about himself. some people say him that way as their leader. even though the song was written before Paul left the band, maybe the song was written and not the lyrics. and remember Maynards lyrics are based on the music that the band creates. So maybe there was already a large enough fan base from Undertow and Opiate that he was able to write that about himself. i dunno, im just rambling. all i really wanted to say is that Maynard is talkin about himself.

And oh way, i heard Maynard was bisexual and i was like huh? cos i hadnt read that about him and my friend said oh yeah its a well known fact. so can someone clear that up, i already know he has a wife and a son.

idontmind462
04-20-2003, 04:14 AM
WHOA. He does NOT have a wife. And if he isn't bi it would blow my mind. Maynard, Trent, Marilyn, and Chino all make male oral sex references.

Listen to DEFTONES - PASSENGER with the idea of Maynard and Chino being lovers.

cradled
04-20-2003, 10:14 AM
It would be an interesting parallel to Reflection if he is talking about himself.

Eulogy "Get off your fucking cross"

Reflection "Crucify the ego, before it's far too late"

crackerjack
04-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by idontmind462
Listen to DEFTONES - PASSENGER with the idea of Maynard and Chino being lovers.

Why?

just because they make oral sex references and jokes, it doesn't make them gay

M doesn't have a wife, but he was ingaged(maybe still is)
and Chino does have a wife as far as I know

and even though it is possible that Maynard is bisexual, it's definitely not a well known fact

forty6n2
04-21-2003, 06:25 PM
i had read he was engaged and assumed he was married, sorry bout that.

cainecrawford
04-22-2003, 06:04 PM
In the middle, sip of coke(sits a goat, capricorn(marilyn manson)). He told me that he thought we were selling out. Laying down, sucking on tooth and nail.
Before you point that finger you should know that i'm the man. And If Im the man, then your the man, and he's th3e man as well. This is the triad. Three dead boys walked down the isle.
3 being my number in astrological terms.

Adrenalin
05-13-2003, 03:11 AM
shit i didnt get any of the last post?
well as for the bisexual thing..so what of it?
m.manson has indeed have oral sex with males but he doesnt even consider himself gay...maynard seems like too much of a disent guy to be gay,but even if he is who are we to judge his desires?as for chino...shit,come on,ive heard tooooo many stories of chino hitting on women to even consider him being gay..but even if he is...

id have to agree with the stalkingbuttler about maynard talking about himself....it really sounds like a cleansing album...consider the fact that enima is something you use in order to take out the shit from inside of you......well what if this record is all the shit maynard is getting out?jung referances are throughout the record and jumg himself was a follower of expressing oneself in any way...he has been said to hit on some of his male students with no intention of sexual intercorse but in order to free his ''shadow'' of the basic instinct of having sex with either gender...wouldnt that explain M using some of those ideas in the album?
i'd say that if M read all of our posts hed piss himself laughing,would he?
fill me in on your thought's...

Nirvana
05-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by crackerjack

I believe that M is singing about his persona
The album is called AENIMA

how do you.. say, "AENIMA"?... i always said it like "Enima"... with a strange sound for the "E"

and also... what does it means... out your words i expact it has to do with something you are... or want to be..

is it like.. an EGO?!

Adrenalin
05-13-2003, 03:33 AM
you mean what aenima means?
enima is an object you put in you ass if you cant crap properly......lol

Nirvana
05-13-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Adrenalin
you mean what aenima means?
enima is an object you put in you ass if you cant crap properly......lol

yeah.. haha =S