PDA

View Full Version : Split persona?

Fifth
11-23-2002, 08:55 AM
I think this is the right place for this... This is a theory that has been discused
recently at another tool forum www.toolunity.com. I'll cut and paste the first post and post links to access further infomation to do with it and see what people think or what they can add to this...

The Tool Enigma.

"Think for yourself, question authority" Many know this quote from the beginning of Third Eye on Tools forth album Salival and its the basis this piece is written on. If you think things are black or white and nothing else or that Tool are just some band then you might as well stop reading now, this isn’t for you. For those still here I hope you find this theory at the least interesting, hopefully more.

Most know Maynard James Keenan is a stage name for James Hubert Keenan but it is not just a cosmetic name change. It is because Maynard is an act, a persona,like Ziggy Stardust was for David Bowie. Maynard’s role is to become a martyr figure the 4 the fans until they realise this fact, like a puzzle. Eulogy is Maynard’s Eulogy, h. stands
for Hubert, his real middle name. jimmy is his real first name but isn’t a capital because to Tool fans this is his middle name. Prison Sex’s line "Release in sodomy" is actually "Release inside of me"

The fans are his "Lamb and Martyr" In effect the fans need to understand and destroy the Maynard persona because he is James and most the songs are about the struggle between Maynard and James over control of the one person (Pushit, Third Eye) No wonder people say he's schizophrenic.

All of the symbolism I’ve found will be gone into in much more detail in later posts, there is too much to post here all at once, a couple more things I’ve noticed. Here is my take on the end lyrics in Reflection. What has to be remembered is that all Tools work can be interrupted in many ways, what I’m saying is that there is one common thread which links it all

So crucify the ego before its far too late" - The ego being the Maynard persona.

"Leave behind this place so negative, void and cynical" - The platform Tool currently hold.

"When you come to find, that we are all one mind" - That Maynard is a "Reflection" of the four members.

"Capable of all this, imagine it all conceivable" - That what I’m put across here as being conceivable?

Let the light touch you and the words spill through" - The light being Tools visual work and the words being there music

"Bringing out our hope and reason" - Tools hope for mankind and there reason for why they’ve done this.

And then you have Schism "I know the pieces fit" and Disposition’s "Mention this to me and watch the weather change" Ticks and Leeches is for all the people who have questioned Tools intentions while they built this puzzle. "Hope this is what
you wanted, hope this is what you had in mind, cause this is what your getting"

I don’t know how many of you know about the true track order for Lateralus but here it is. It revolves round the number 13. Which is the track number of the garbled message Faaid de Oiadd, the key to working out the order...

1,12 =13
2,11 =13
3,10 =13
4,9 =13
5,8 =13
6,7 =13

It runs on two spirals revolving around track 13, they are -

6,7,5,8,4,9 then 12,1,11,2,10,3 making the full order,

Listen to the timing of the last bit of guitar in Parabola going into Schism and the drums coming out of Schism going into Ticks and Leeches and you should be able to hear why this order is correct.

There's so much more but I just want to see peoples reactions to this first before I try to explain further.

- Theres another 25 pages of posts by people that follow that message there -
http://www.toolunity.com/cgi-bin/ik...act=ST;f=56;t=1 and you can access a forum dedicated to looking further into this persona split here -
http://www.toolunity.com/cgi-bin/ik...gi?;act=SF;f=56

Peace Fifth

rickiep00h
11-24-2002, 12:56 PM
this looks interesting. perhaps I shall try it.