PDA

View Full Version : CD Artwork

Ardhanarishvara
04-30-2006, 01:30 AM
i woke up early saturday morning (29th of april, australian release date) and purchased the new record.

The stereoscopic artwork is excellent and all, but the unusual packaging and cd case dimensions means that it won't fit in any of my CD stackers :(

any thoughts? how will you deal with this?

i guess my best option now, is to set up a special tool shrine, hahaha

Rubb.
04-30-2006, 01:35 AM
yeah, that's kind of annoying. I have all my cd's on shelves though so it's not to much of a problem for me.

Oberon
04-30-2006, 01:39 AM
i woke up early saturday morning (29th of april, australian release date) and purchased the new record.

The stereoscopic artwork is excellent and all, but the unusual packaging and cd case dimensions means that it won't fit in any of my CD stackers :(

any thoughts? how will you deal with this?

i guess my best option now, is to set up a special tool shrine, hahaha

Buy an empty jewel case, print out the cover art (or whatever you want) and use it as the case, then put the actual case on the bookshelf

passenger#44213
04-30-2006, 02:12 AM
I got mine in...over 3 spaces...if you have a CD rack that just supports the edge of the CD rather than the whole base then you fit in on an angle over 3 or 4...it looks crap but its away from the light and little grubby fingers.

mikeanthony
04-30-2006, 02:20 AM
I got mine yesterday and was surpirsed how well the steroscopic lenses work but i worry about how the package will hold up i wish they had put somthing to keep the flappy bit down its always the same with cardboard cases i fear for the damage my clumsy hands will do

passenger#44213
04-30-2006, 02:22 AM
I got mine yesterday and was surpirsed how well the steroscopic lenses work but i worry about how the package will hold up i wish they had put somthing to keep the flappy bit down its always the same with cardboard cases i fear for the damage my clumsy hands will do

i totally agree...i think cardboard cases have way more class, but so often are too fat or end up all frayed mangled.

not the future i want for a tool album

Ardhanarishvara
04-30-2006, 02:39 AM
just out of curiousity, how is everyone's outer case of lateralus holding up?

mine's still good, but the corner's are visibly weak

Rubb.
04-30-2006, 02:45 AM
i need a new one.

passenger#44213
04-30-2006, 02:47 AM
I am on my 4th lateralus.

the 3rd wasn't my fault...it was screwed the day i bought it because JB HI-FI decided to put like 4 layers of shrink wrap on it...arseholes.

but yeh...mine is currently awesome

exaviour02
04-30-2006, 03:42 AM
My lateralus is still good... original one too...
some of the black on the coners gone though.....

and as for card-board/digipack... i have one from 98... still looks new...ish....

and as for the art work.....
AWESOME!!!!!
the first thing i started thinking was as to the effort that they would have gone to to get that right.... i mean you'd have to work out the focal points for the images, and the camera's.....
obvioulsy a lot of work went into this album... and i could not be happier...

schmeng
04-30-2006, 04:12 AM
what if you were getting a blow job whilst checking the awesomeness of the art work

mikeanthony
04-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Does anyone else think they should sell the cases for cds? so u can buy a spare or replacment then again it would prob end up costing almost as much as a new album

mikeanthony
04-30-2006, 04:18 AM
what if you were getting a blow job whilst checking the awesomeness of the art work

depends where you are if prison then it would be real bad

Rubb.
04-30-2006, 04:42 AM
what if it's a female prison?

schmeng
04-30-2006, 04:43 AM
who cares whos giving one to you, as long as they dont use teeth

Oberon
04-30-2006, 04:44 AM
who cares whos giving one to you, as long as they dont use teeth

some of us like it rough

Rubb.
04-30-2006, 05:20 AM
[witha_teetha]

mattw
04-30-2006, 06:05 AM
I am on my 4th lateralus.

I don't understand how someone can be on their 4th copy of an album...?

What are you doing to these things? It really puzzles me!

As for my cds, I have only 1 copy of each of Tool's releases/albums - I must have had my Aenima copy for at least 9 years but it's still in good condition...

As for the album art, I think it is really impressive, even by Tool's standards. A couple of mates (who aren't the biggest Tool fans) have bought 10,000 Days since Saturday and have already commented on "how cool" the artwork is and how it's good to see a band do something with their album artwork instead of just putting a simple colour picture on the cover etc. and nothing much else... I guess it really adds to the experience...

My favourite pictures are the skull with the fetus inside, the blue/yellow Alex Grey picture and the dude who has a curled flaming serpent coming out of him - they all look great!

Mortal Moxie
04-30-2006, 06:10 AM
yeah, that's kind of annoying. I have all my cd's on shelves though so it's not to much of a problem for me.

I have a huge wall in my room with all my cd's on it. There all held on by velcro tabs. And the tabs peel off easily without damaging the back of the cd or leaving any sticky goo on there.

I hate cd racks because artists obviously spend alot of time on the art. Just for the consumer to by the cd and stick it in a rack somewhere where you can't see the cover or anything. All you see is the side bar.

So I have all mine up on a wall. People love it. The colors of all the different albums look really good. And I have a spot up there for the new Tool.

How much bigger is it?

I have a Radio Head Kid A import from Japan and its alot bigger than US cd's so it stands out a bit.

Anyway, I would recommend more of you display your albums (cd's) in a more exposed fashion. People will love it. And you will too. Admire the art work.

I have about 200 on one wall. One row starts at the very edge of the wall, and the row below that starts 3 inches in off the edge of the wall so theres a nice slanted criss cross patern. Me loves.

Ok, I said way more than I wanted to.

mattw
04-30-2006, 06:20 AM
I have a huge wall in my room with all my cd's on it. There all held on by velcro tabs. And the tabs peel off easily without damaging the back of the cd or leaving any sticky goo on there.

I have about 200 on one wall. One row starts at the very edge of the wall, and the row below that starts 3 inches in off the edge of the wall so theres a nice slanted criss cross patern. Me loves.

Can you post a picture or two of this 'wall'...?

I'd like to see your work if you let me...

teleincision
04-30-2006, 06:36 AM
i just use shelves, even though the wont hoal ALL of my cd, but just tool and apc ones...
8)

Serjoooooo
04-30-2006, 07:10 AM
This the KIT CD 10.000 days..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/victoriasixxsixxsixx/dsc001274wh.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/wh1b80.jpg

slicknickshady
04-30-2006, 07:39 AM
yep i just orderd my 2nd lateralus online. The outside of my lateralus is so fucked up.

tangent
04-30-2006, 11:21 AM
yep i just orderd my 2nd lateralus online. The outside of my lateralus is so fucked up.

Yeah mine too, it looks.... Frayed :\

TheHolyGift
04-30-2006, 12:21 PM
So is the CD in one of those goddamn digipak pieces of shit?

TheHolyGift
04-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Well then that's the only disappointing thing about this album so far.

dirtebuy
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
i only have the cds and some liner notes from the other 5 that have been produced, i dont even have my salival vid anymore.that suks!

BDT
04-30-2006, 04:29 PM
I have all mine on a shelf with just the sidebars showing, but I might change that soon.

IC
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
just out of curiousity, how is everyone's outer case of lateralus holding up?

mine's still good, but the corner's are visibly weak
DEAD.
oy...yeah also, i listend and read through aenima so much that every fold has split off into individual pages lol

Rubb.
04-30-2006, 08:16 PM
So is the CD in one of those goddamn digipak pieces of shit?

it's a hard cover digipak though, like the salival cd case. Alot more sturdy than most normal digipaks.

Rubb.
04-30-2006, 08:17 PM
DEAD.
oy...yeah also, i listend and read through aenima so much that every fold has split off into individual pages lol

lol, I only got the US version of aenima in January. Took me a month to fuck it up.

Ardhanarishvara
05-01-2006, 02:01 AM

that's an excellent idea, thanks for that, i think i might investigate this option further, where would i find a sheet of velcro that will cover a large area(wall) and non-gooey adhesive velcro for cd cases?

cheers

Matt8
05-01-2006, 04:47 AM
what a fucking good idea for cd packaging. 3d glasses make everything cool.

resonance.
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't understand how someone can be on their 4th copy of an album...?

What are you doing to these things? It really puzzles me!

I had to buy Aenima 3 times.

vessel
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
You'd be amazed how easy it is to lend a CD to a friend with the obvious understanding that they intended to return it. I'm not saying they're still my friends or not but the point is this...CD's are designed to be bought multiple times. I own both versions of toxicity and my ex had all three versions of blink 182's cd that had multiple covers (I dont know what it was called, and i honestly could care less). so yeah, there you go. Buying an album that even has just one cover four or five times really isn't that obscene. Otherwise, you'd just go to Such and Such Record store and they'd simply download that shit straight to your cerebrum. Packaging would be built right in, and you wouldnt even have to buy any stupid racks for that data medium either. Fuck, I'm a genius. This is the revolution mankind has been waiting for...I can see it now. Tool's sixth album coming out 2011: "THE FIRST CEREBELUM RECORD EVER!" Or would it be the hyacampus. Surely not the medula?

vessel
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot...Cue the damn Matlock theme music.

Ertai
05-01-2006, 08:07 PM
when you close it i think ur susposed to fold it shut with the lens facing the inside.... maybe then it will fit in your cd stacks

randomhero8823
05-01-2006, 08:11 PM
my cd cases are on a bookshelf, so i should have a problem when i pic the album up TOM!!!!!!! aka TOMORROW!!!

JOK3R
05-09-2006, 12:33 AM
the art if so amazing. dont put tool cds with the others. they get theyre own place