PDA

View Full Version : Is this a retort to Pitchfork Media.

dice5199
04-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Hello, I am a long time lurker.

This song may be a retort to an unfavorable review of Lateralus written by Brent DiCrescenzo of Pitchfork Media. He later got himself "deep in muddy waters" by making false assertions in a Beastie Boys' review. Pitchfork had to issue a public retraction.

I know that many of you will think I'm way off here and say that Tool has bigger fish to fry. However, we do know that Tool has reserved a song on each of their past two albums for their critics (Hooker With a Penis, Ticks and Leeches).

Maybe the commercial nature of this song is intended to annoy this publication, which has a reputation for praising indie music and condeming anything mainstream.

Tell me what you think and I apologize if this has been discussed already.

Keyser_OGT
04-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I'd say the lines about about "Liar/Lawyer, Mirror for you, what's the difference?" would mean that it's more to do with the business side of the music industry, but hey, that's just my interpretation.

fripptronic
04-29-2006, 06:20 PM
interesting theory. yeah, i don't think it'd be anything this specific though.

that review DiCrescenzo did was pretty hilarious though. it wasn't even really a review, more of a meta-satire on tool's 'supposed' fanbase. i like how pitchfork gets some guy who'd never be inclined to give an honest listen do the review. it's more like he's just functioning to do their bidding. i wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't any different this time around. "how dare they create pretentious music!"

but hey, it's pitchfork anyways. even underground music need's its national enquirer.

STA
04-29-2006, 06:33 PM
I've posted this before, but I really hate that Pitchfork review of Lateralus. It wasn't even inaccurate, it was incoherent. If someone could explain to me exactly what the joke was supposed to be, I'd appreciate it.

fripptronic
04-29-2006, 07:08 PM
the joke was, well, um, there really wasn't a definative joke. like i said, it was satire. he was writing from the 3rd person prespective of a highschool tool geek. it's pretty funny.

dice5199
04-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Here are some of my interpretations of the lyrics:

STEAL, BORROW, REFER, SAVE YOUR SHADY INFERENCE---Could be describing the reviewer's questionable writing style. In the Beastie Boys' review he wrote fallacious assertions to make a point. In the Lateralus review he tries to come off as an intellectual by spouting off obscure definitions of certain words in an effort to put down the band.

YOUR WEEPING SHADES OF CHOSEN INDIGO, GOT LEMON JUICE UP IN YOUR EYE---Again, could be alluding the reviewers style of writing and how it backfired. The reviewer has the tendency to sensationalize a story. In the Beastie Boys' review he takes on a sour disposition.

PISSED ALL OVER MY BLACK KETTLE---Refers to the way the reviewer blasted the Lateralus album.

HE'S GUILTY AS THE GOVERNMENT---This is revealing because the person referred to in the song is a male and is being compared to the government. If this song was about the government, then this statement wouldn't make much sense in my opinion.

I'll admit that many of the lyrics are vague and could be referring to a multitude of things. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but I'd like to hear what you all think.

dice5199
05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Okay, I'll give one last try at getting a captive audience. Here are some links.....

Pitchfork Lateralus Review
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/t/tool/lateralus.shtml

Article About Fallout from Beastie Boys Review
http://www.rrj.ca/online/572/

Interestingly, the original Beastie Boys review is nowhere to be found on Pitchfork. It is as if this fiasco never happened. They must have "burned the evidence down." Hehe, maybe I'm reading too far into this.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
05-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I can't wait to see their review of 10,000 days.

pjfan
05-02-2006, 02:23 AM
The song is about someone who has pointed a fault at someone yet has neglected the log in their own eye...ie: pissing on my black kettle at least IMO.

Futureal
05-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I can't wait to see their review of 10,000 days.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/t/tool/10000-days.shtml

SpiralOutKeepGoing
05-02-2006, 04:26 PM
at least 10,000 days got a 5.9 while lateralus only got a 1.9