PDA

View Full Version : Lateralus Artwork

Revolver_04
11-23-2002, 07:55 AM
(hey, i'm the first to post here..)
two words can sum up the lateralus artwork: fucking amazing. the most unique quality of Tool, next to their music, is the way they do there own thing in everything they do. adam jones and alex grey did a great job on this cd and i hope they work together again in the future.

C

ragna16
11-23-2002, 08:49 AM
I love the layered effect, by far the best art of any album.

lotus
11-23-2002, 01:01 PM
everything but the cd itself is translucent

so if you're listening to it, you can hold everything up to a light and see a faint blue glow

Chuckhawk
11-23-2002, 04:21 PM
I think Lateralus is a perfect album. The whole thing, especially the art, has a weird feel to it that feels complete and perfect to me. And if you enjoyed the artwork you should check out some of Alex Grey's other work.

okkoto
11-23-2002, 07:42 PM
alex grey is an amazing man. i met him just recently at the tibet house in new york city. he talked about tool like they were his neighbors from down the street. it was a great experience.

there was even a tv setup so he could show his contribution to the porabol/a video as part of the exhibit.

Necronomicon
11-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Lateralus IS a perfect album...

You know, in a weird way I wouldn't be all that disappointed if Tool didn't release anymore albums. Lateralus could just be the end all album for Tool.

DrDuke
11-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Necronomicon

You know, in a weird way I wouldn't be all that disappointed if Tool didn't release anymore albums. Lateralus could just be the end all album for Tool.

please tell me your joking.

Artemis
11-24-2002, 02:57 AM
has anyone else noticed the 'god' written in the brain in the head on the cover? or was i dreaming...

Pierre-Paul
11-24-2002, 06:53 AM
it's indeed written "god" in the brain. You weren't the only one to notice.

It's logic, as Tool tells us in many songs in the album that we have divinity inside all of us.

Lateralus is indeed perfect for me too. I'm sure in 10 years from now it will not be forgotten like any other "Limp Bizkit" or "Staind" crap. I'm sure that 8 years from now, when we'll see on tv people talking about "best albums of the 2000s", Lateralus will be one of them.

But what I'm 100% sure of, it's that in 10 years, I will still be listening to this album and trying to interpret this masterpiece.

bottomfeeder4
11-24-2002, 08:13 AM
if you enjoyed the lateralus artwork, i would suggest checking out his book Transfigurations. by far, one of the best visionary artists of all time.

Voldemort
11-24-2002, 11:09 AM
I totally agree with ex mortis, lets hope Tool can better Lateralus...but if its impossible (and I feel it might be) then id rather they vanished forever than smouldered away like some third rate hair mettalers from the 80's.

fear + loathing
11-24-2002, 06:41 PM
If you wan't to view some of alex greys stuff from the comfort of your own home. Go to www.happypencil.com. go to the dark section and you can see his drawings, painting, sculptures, etc. Just don't steal his pictures for your own sites.

Chuckhawk
11-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Voldemort
I totally agree with ex mortis, lets hope Tool can better Lateralus...but if its impossible (and I feel it might be) then id rather they vanished forever than smouldered away like some third rate hair mettalers from the 80's.

But this is tool you're talking about, of course they can... I mean, they topped Ænima.

Sauron
11-24-2002, 07:39 PM
The artwork is so amazing that sometimes I find my self listening to the final songs of the album, looking at the artwork and finding out that I have been like that (mesmerized looking at it) thru the entire album...

Andy DV
11-24-2002, 09:46 PM
Just so you know, www.happypencil.com is cam's artwork, the great artist that did the opiate art and some others. Alex Grey's site is, believe it or not, www.alexgrey.com. Both great, just thought I'd clear that up.

Skate_03
11-25-2002, 07:45 AM
I'm not that good at interpreting a lot of the stuff that Tool puts out, so could someone explain the see-through sequence on the Lateralus cover?

So far, I figured it was the different levels of consciousnes, but I'm not quite sure.

Andy DV
11-25-2002, 02:30 PM
I think the layers have a lot to do with Grey's Sacred Mirrors and the different stages involved in reaching a higher consciousness. Check it out at www.alexgrey.com you won't regret it.

Patton>You
11-25-2002, 04:28 PM
what does alex use to make his art, i cant figure it out, i have seen pic's of him painting this kind of stuff, but when there done they look nothing like they were touched with a brush at all

brandino
11-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Patton>You
what does alex use to make his art, i cant figure it out, i have seen pic's of him painting this kind of stuff, but when there done they look nothing like they were touched with a brush at all

I don't know about medium, but I think he derives a lot of inspiration from LSD.

Andy DV
11-27-2002, 10:05 AM
From what I've read, they are (believe it or not) all paintings. For more info on the brands of paint and other specifics, check out Alex's message board on his site.

Chuckhawk
11-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Most of his work is painted, but I have no idea how he could possibly get all the lines and curves on certain works to line up so perfectly. He may use stencils... or layers... or he might be just that good. Either way, I'm still glad I picked up Transfigurations.

"I don't know about medium, but I think he derives a lot of inspiration from LSD."

Oh my yes... Transfigurations is all about LSD and other levels of conciousness and how he put it into his work, along with pretty much every thing he's ever created since he was 5.

volcano lance
11-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Necronomicon

How many people thought they could topple over Ænima? I thought they could, because as individuals, they arent better than the sum of their parts, of course Tool. They are by far the most inspirational band for me since Pink Floyd, as far as the whole art/music/visual thing goes.

fear + loathing
11-28-2002, 01:34 PM
yeah the two of them have both worked with tool and i get them confused. There still two of the most amazing artists i've ever seen!

Patton>You
11-29-2002, 09:33 PM
yea, lateralus would be a excellent way to end the tool legacy, but on the tool site, it states that they already have wrote new songs, and already recording some things for a new album, and the dvd that is supposed to be released in february, i hope tool never stops, but i know for sure when they do, today or 2 years from now, i will be happy, cause they have accomplished so much with only 3 albums(3 full albums, and 1 ep(which is opiate) ), more than any band could do with even 10.

sparrow
12-01-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by fear + loathing
If you wan't to view some of alex greys stuff from the comfort of your own home. Go to www.happypencil.com. go to the dark section and you can see his drawings, painting, sculptures, etc. Just don't steal his pictures for your own sites.
another great site that does alot of the stuff for the videos and even some of the artwork is www.screaminglobster.com i think you may find alot of stuff from other movies etc. as well

dawn.
12-01-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Sauron
The artwork is so amazing that sometimes I find my self listening to the final songs of the album, looking at the artwork and finding out that I have been like that (mesmerized looking at it) thru the entire album...

i find myself doing the same thing...and with artwork like that i enjoy spending money on cds...the first time i opened the booklet i had flashbacks of being 4-5 and sitting in my room flipping through a medical encyclopedia that had the same type of celluloid pages and just being mesmerized for hours...

George Bush Sr.
12-28-2002, 11:30 AM
check out the new issue of juxtapoz for an interview with alex grey, his artwork is on the cover too