PDA

View Full Version : quivering vulva

doug galecawitz
03-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Once again before I start hypothesizing on possible song meanings I'm going to offer up a disclaimer that I don't necessarily believe any of the specific ideas I'm stating here. This is a mere exploration of possible song meanings. No one interpretation of a song is correct or incorrect. Much like any other form of art, music can be very subjective. In the case of music it helps to be ambiguous because if more people can identify with your song then you can sell more records and make more money. And lets not mince words, because that is what the music industry does. Any concrete interpretation of song meaning can be given only by the artist. I would never attempt the presumption of thinking I could speak to them. Plus my being spineless frees me from any backlash for ill thought out half assed theories. Thank You.

The first and most obvious choice is the whole anal sex thing that some people subscribe to. Not knowing too much about human anatomy I've often read on here that supposedly the anal shaft is 4º warmer than the cervix. If that's true than the mouth should likewise be regarded as 4º warmer since it is the same temperture as the anal shaft. Rectal theormeter anyone? So automatically the song no longer need be about sodomy. Likewise as is pointed out by others, sodomy is not strickly associated with either gender. Is there a possibility that anything relating to sodomy or homosexuality was intended in the song, probably not but I'm sure TOOL has been much entertained by the infrence made by so many. Either way the song speaks quite highly of it, whatever it is.

The whole of that idea could be filed under the entire heading of sex. It is not difficult to see how the song could be interpreted as about sex with lines such as "lay back and let me show you another way" and "take it all in, all the way in"> It wouldn't take a huge leap of faith to make the connection. On the whole the song seems to be quite possitive about the experience of sex when it does bring you closer than dying cancer and crying. If in a loving relationship, the sex does not make you feel closer to that person than anything else in the human experience than quite frankly I can't fathom that thinking. Without sex you are not even here to argue the vitality or meaning of life, or waste countless hours typing out your feeble views on some silly band's music.

On the other end there's the whole idea of communication of feelings, thoughts, emotions, and opinions. When getting to know someone you have no idea of their potential and they barely seem real until they "open themselves" up to you. Let's go digging. The art of communication also brings people closer together, although the crying part could be argued to be part of the communication process. Furthermore the act of dying some could say also brings people closer together than communication. The idea of opening yourself to someone is a matter of exploration of your own potential for kinetic thought. If you don't explore yor own mind and body how can you know yourself? Whether it's you opening up to someone else or they to you or you to yourself the lyrics lean towards a possiitive view on the art of communication.

Both sex and communication can be grouped under the entire idea of human experience. And the idea of being open to new experience in order to explore what makes you you. The idea being the promotion of not closing yourself off to anything new ie "the ocean refuses no river" or as bruce lee might put it "be like water" Don't limit your own possibilities to become what you must become. This kind of fits under the idea that you are not entirely you and that the entire concept of the self is an abstract social construction. With that mentality the line "free yorself from yourself" and "take it all in" cum into a diffrent kind of focus. This makes two assumptions however. 1) free yourself-- implies that there is already some internal mechanism that does not allow you to see beyond your own nose, so to speak. That you can't get passed your own opinions or ignorance of other's emotional states. The entire concept of lying somewhat flies against that theory. You can't lie to somebody if you are not aware that they think diffrently from you.

The second implication is the ignorance of subject object or caus and effect. If you free yourself from dualistic thought and embrace either pluralism or monism or both you will get some better understanding of the reality that you are a part of. If you free yourself from body and mind you might find something that feels closer to truth. ie closer than dying cancer and crying. This thinking is explored heavily in Parabol/Parabola. Discount the idea of you in reality and embrace you as reality as part of...... Almost all religons cover this idea of great extended consciousness, usaully right before they get bogged down by dogmatic thoughts and social agendas.

If you erase the subject/object the song really opens up to any idea. You no longer has to be a person at all. Likewise "it" can be anything possibly imaginable. From there is where the song as many songs by tool are able to leave themselves open to interpretaion. All their songs become a matter of fill in the blanks with your own meaning. You can be a person, idea, god, etc etc etc

As far as personal feelings of the song it comes to mind whenever I meet someone new and have my usual misanthropic thoughts about their supposed ignorance (as though I'm oh so intelligent) It's kind of a self defense from having met far to many disappointingly stupid people. (keep stroking your own ego). Or more recently a friend of mine opened herself up to me and her experiences in life which I had never thought about. And never considered. What she revealed to me made me have to stop viewing her as a friend and now she is an actual three dimensional person. Having to view people as that real and seperate can be quite difficult in your dealings with them. Anyways.......

I'm going to end this here because it seems to me by the lack of intrest in my other posts that no one likes long meandering tirades of philosophical diarehea. I've also momentarily forgetten numerous other ideas I intended to explore and expound upon. I apologize for any misspelling, typos, and shortcomings in regards to actual sound logical philosophy.

paraflux
04-09-2003, 11:39 AM
I liked it. Just stop making excuses and disclaimers. Fuck em.

kirby
04-23-2003, 01:05 PM
you're wrong dude, the anal shaft is not = to the mouth, that is why when you take rectal temp, you subtract a degree, when you take it in the mouth, you dont add or subtract anything.

FlamingEye
05-04-2003, 03:41 PM
This is a great song. One of my favorites of Tool

sircorn
05-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by doug galecawitz
The first and most obvious choice is the whole anal sex thing that some people subscribe to. Not knowing too much about human anatomy I've often read on here that supposedly the anal shaft is 4º warmer than the cervix. If that's true than the mouth should likewise be regarded as 4º warmer since it is the same temperture as the anal shaft. Rectal theormeter anyone? So automatically the song no longer need be about sodomy. Likewise as is pointed out by others, sodomy is not strickly associated with either gender. Is there a possibility that anything relating to sodomy or homosexuality was intended in the song, probably not but I'm sure TOOL has been much entertained by the infrence made by so many. Either way the song speaks quite highly of it, whatever it is.

If the song was about sex, there is no way It can be about homosexuality. The anal shaft is 4 degrees warmer than the cervix. If so, then it can't have anything to to with homosexuality since men having nothing to compare their anal cavity to. 4 degrees warmer than what? Their dick? I don't see a dick finding its way inside another dick anyhow.

Not a condesending remark, just an observation.

06-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I just want to say that that was great! Since I pretty recently started to "study" this song I do not have anything to add. I'm not sure if I would have had that either way. But thank you, that was great.
Whenever you have something to say about a song write it. Even though people do not respond all the time they find it very interesting and educational (atleast I do). I reason for not many replies may also be that you do not ask many questions, you have the "answeres". Anyways....

Scratch
12-03-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm going to end this here because it seems to me by the lack of intrest in my other posts that no one likes long meandering tirades of philosophical diarehea.

I think 915 views would disagree with that. Just because somebody doesn't have something to add, doesn't mean they weren't interested. Maybe they thought it was so perfect that they had nothing to add.

The whole of that idea could be filed under the entire heading of sex. It is not difficult to see how the song could be interpreted as about sex with lines such as "lay back and let me show you another way" and "take it all in, all the way in"> It wouldn't take a huge leap of faith to make the connection.

I tend to lean more towards the idea of communication, rather than anal sex. Actually, more of Tool using anal sex as a metaphor for communication. I guess you touched on that, kind of.

You can't lie to somebody if you are not aware that they think diffrently from you.

Please elaborate on that... I'm not quite following you.

Almost all religons cover this idea of great extended consciousness, usaully right before they get bogged down by dogmatic thoughts and social agendas.

Heh, yeah... what religion are you? Athiest? Agnostic?

As for your whole "arguement" I think you touched all the bases quite nicely. Good post.

AllforUnity
12-04-2003, 07:40 AM
Cool entry, yet again, Doug. I love this song, it's a good song, and it's a cool video. I like how Maynard points out that no one owns him, and no matter what he's going to express himself in any way he chooses.

radmanics
01-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Could be about... meditation maybe a bit more. "free yourself" Maybe a new form of meditation maynard has found worked for him.

Not sure of this line though: "I'll kill what you want me to, take what's left and eat it." I'm thinking it's relating to "killing" the beasts within yourself, and "eating" their entrils, as a sort of clensing? showing victory? I dunno.. that sounds bad..

but mate, you make some brilliant observations, and stop being so appologetic; it's starting to get annoying lol, though it is nice to see someone with manners I must say :p

ThreeDeviations
01-10-2004, 12:46 AM
The song isn't about anything sexual.

The song is God speaking to Maynard.
The song is God pleading for Maynard's heart
The song is God asking for Maynard's permission.
The song is God asking for Maynard's love.
The song is God telling Maynard to free himself.
The song is God talking to Maynard.
The song is God talking to Maynard.
The song is written by Maynard- but inspired by that voice, that feeling in his heart, that knocking at his conscience.

The song is saying that if you have God in your heart all the time, then it would bring Maynard much closer to God than in times of perceived necessity- when you feel you have to pray- like if someone was crying, someone had cancer, or someone was dying.

The song is God explaining that human life is too short- to push eternal life away.

Skinshifter01
01-26-2004, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=ThreeDeviations]
The song is written by Maynard- but inspired by [God] [QUOTE=ThreeDeviations]

Yes, we know that you think this, but I doubt it's true. Most, if not all, of us know that MJK atleast (Danny C., too) is not a Christian, nor does he seem to want to be. He points out several times that he isn't. Now tell me, if he isn't a Christian, why would he talk about how God wants him to free himself for God to take over? It doesn't add up. How could a man that doesn't believe in God be taken by the "spirit" to write this? He couldn't.

As always, Doug, this was spectacularly thought out. And yeah, leave the disclaimers out. They make it harder to read your posts. It's like getting a bj from a girl with really fucked up teeth, to be frank with you.

Um...you spoke about a ...mechanism that hampers our understanding, that keeps our awareness down. I think you could be correct in that regard, else the theory...or even practice of unlocking the Merkaba would be pointless, wouldn't it?

ThreeDeviations
01-27-2004, 11:55 AM
So now Maynard doesn't believe in something bigger?

You people struggle.

He might not support conventional religion.... but he definitely believes there's more to life than just our human existence.

Now at the time he wrote Undertow... he may have been going through some questionable times... where he didn't know what to think... but as I've said in previous posts, you don't write lyrics, like the ones on Lateralus... without believing in something bigger and better.

If you can't realize that... then I pity you. Afterall, you're probably atheist now because you think your hero is. The irony...
(justify denials and grip em to the lonesome end....)

Let's get back to atheist Maynard and company...

"We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion."

(yeah, there's nothing in that passage reflecting anything holy)

"This holy reality, this holy experience." (Yeah, you're right, Skin)

"Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing."

(Yeah, nothing spectacular or remotely divine about that line...)

Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.

(Maybe he means eternity... well, maybe he's just exaggerating or something)

Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

(you're right... he's totally stuck... close-minded, too)

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

(yeah, nothing special, emotional, vulnerable, or honest here.... just atheist rhetoric....
Swing on the spiral of our divinity? What?! He must've written that as a joke between he and Danny)

I feel it move across my skin.

(he must not mean he experienced some Godlike chills...... He must mean he feels the needle from getting another tattoo, dude!)

I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole,
Defeated, I concede and
Move closer
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
How pitiful

It's calling me...

(It's calling him?? What? What's calling him? It must be more groupies who want on the bus again)

As full and bright as I am
This light is not my own and
A million light reflections pass over me

Its source is bright and endless
She resuscitates the hopeless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting

(Satan)

And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

(trickery)

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...

(Cmon Maynard, keep it real dude. Kill em all)

AllforUnity
02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Am l on the album Undertow, or Lateralus?

Franklinfunk
02-10-2004, 03:47 PM
I've just joined and would like to say hello!!! Tool are the most amazing band ever and all your interpretations are very interesting. Nice work.

radmanics
02-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Quotations can be twisted to mean anything...

"I feel it move across my skin.

(he must not mean he experienced some Godlike chills...... He must mean he feels the needle from getting another tattoo, dude!) "

One line can mean exactly what you've pointed out... there is a pronoun with no afore or post mensioned subject... choose better quotes, and quit the you plural-ness holier than thou attitude mate... again.

ThreeDeviations
02-17-2004, 03:00 AM
Rad-

Do they speak and write English in England?

Sorry, I never learned to interpret gibberish.

Put another quarter in and try again.

radmanics
02-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Sorry I wasn't aware you couldn't understand slightly unmodern english. I will explain what I was saying slowly, with modern language, and mockingly as I'm rather bitter about your I'm all knowning more so than you attitude =]

Quotations can be twisted to mean anything...

"I feel it move across my skin.

(he must not mean he experienced some Godlike chills...... He must mean he feels the needle from getting another tattoo, dude!) "

One line can mean exactly what you've pointed out... there is a pronoun with no afore or post mensioned subject... choose better quotes, and quit the you plural-ness holier than thou attitude mate... again.

Quotations - the noun (plural) of "quotes" (which is the plural verb) - that is, the using of another person's words.
Twisted to mean anything - the quotation may be taken 'out of contex' to proove any point
out of contex - something which is not being used as it was intended. In the terms of words, this means the words are not being used to say what they originally meant to say.

Pronoun - these are the words used in place of a noun:
I - First person (singular)
You - Second person (singular)
He/She/It - Third person (singular)
We - First person (plural)
You - Second person (plural)
They - Third person (plural)
In the quoted passage (by you) the pronoun "it", refering to a neuter (that's without gender) noun.
afore - b4 (before)
post - after

by "pluralness" I was refering to your use of the third second person plural pronoun "you", when you used it to say that "You people struggle", as though we (first person plural pronoun, which represents the members of this board, other than you), are less enlightened than you.

I hope you are able to understand this. If not... www.dictionary.com

ThreeDeviations
02-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Ha, Rad, you just can't get enough.

You humiliate yourself frequently.

First off, I do know more than you.

Second of all, you put www.dictionary.com down... as if to imply I need assistance?

You're the one who can't write a coherent sentence- or form any thought that makes any sort of sense.

Let's just look at your last couple short entries...

"Mensioned!?" Are you kidding me?
"Knowning" Really?
"Proove" Scoooooby Doo... where are you?
"Refering" x2 Look it up.

Not bad.

...and regarding your attempted point- you don't have one.

"chills" aren't a gender

At least you tried-

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Haha...that's pretty bad.

radmanics
02-20-2004, 02:50 PM
so I typo a few times? big woop... and wtf was wrong with refer... chills .... I never said it was a gender..

My point was you were taking lyrics and using the to prove something which may be out of the lyric's contex.

I know I can't spell anyway, I never said I could. And yes, I did give you the link as help... "...and mockingly as I'm rather bitter about your I'm all knowning more so than you attitude =]" I wonder if that was why...

If you're older than me, you probably will know more than me; surely in your enlightenment you'd know it's what someone says not how they say it...

My sentense was a perfectly viable one, even if I made a few spelling mistakes; boo hoo.

You're proving consistently you cannot accept critizism. You keep telling people to open their minds? why not open yours to critizism? hmm?

I don't care if you're going to go and point out little spelling mistakes again, hell I'll geven give you sum of thewm so yomu can havw a go.

ThreeDeviations
02-22-2004, 12:31 PM
"If you're older than me, you probably will know more than me; surely in your enlightenment you'd know it's what someone says not how they say it..."

My point exactly.... You've said it perfectly.

If you get tears in your eyes when you read my posts because you think I have an "all knowing" attitude... just remember YOUR line that I've submitted as a reminder for you.

radmanics
02-22-2004, 05:19 PM
But when someone says something and won't accept critizism on it..

paraflux
02-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Whatever, no one has any business saying they are better or know more than anyone else. Putting emphasis on these traits must mean you have some self-security issues that need to be cleared up.

ThreeDeviations
02-24-2004, 10:24 PM
You're right.

Donnie Trump doesn't know any more than my neighbor lady who works for Century 21.

royc
02-25-2004, 05:29 AM
Not sure of this line though: "I'll kill what you want me to, take what's left and eat it."

i remember the song sweat from the album before, it talked about the hunter and the fisherman "Seems like I've been here before. Seems so familiar. Seems like I'm slipping into a dream within a dream." in this song 4* i believe that the songwriter has realized his dream and has finally rememberd something he only felt he always knew. remembering is a continuing theme through out all the albums. well remembering what? i believe he refers of times of old, when life was simpel. the allusions to castles an caverns filled with treasure seem to invoke images of ancient man. so has the songwriter actually realized another way, perhaps an older way where man hunts for the kill and doesn't eat untill he is victorious, like our ancestors the hunters and fishermen, killing what they needed and eating what was left of the once living. all the while living at one with nature doing as one own true nature dictates.

this is necessary life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life, we are not so far removed.

paraflux
02-26-2004, 11:53 AM
You're right.

Donnie Trump doesn't know any more than my neighbor lady who works for Century 21.

And that makes him better than her, I guess, to you.

ThreeDeviations
02-26-2004, 12:55 PM
It means that in all likelihood, Donald Trump KNOWS much more than the Century 21 agent.

Does that make him "better" with real estate than the Century 21 lady? Yes.

"Ohh, well maybe the Century 21 lady understands personal home information, and Donald just knows a lot about commercial real-estate! Weeeeee! That means that technically nobody is really better than one another! Let's all get together and hug."

I've never lost a game of Monopoly- that must mean Donald Trump isn't any better with real-estate than I am.

Chances are, you have a Century 21 understanding of Tool.

Deal with it.

Kerrie
03-19-2004, 07:57 PM
you're wrong dude, the anal shaft is not = to the mouth, that is why when you take rectal temp, you subtract a degree, when you take it in the mouth, you dont add or subtract anything.

of course the anal cavity is warmer then the mouth

AllforUnity
03-23-2004, 07:50 PM
My armpit is warm too.