PDA

View Full Version : Double Album

Frizzer
04-29-2006, 01:36 AM
How good would it be if on the day of the american release they announced a second album coming out...

G|Sus
04-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Kill... Me... With... A... Spoon.....

Stev
04-29-2006, 01:46 AM
I get a real 'double album' feel from Tool. I think if there's nothing like that, the next album will be a double.

molehill
04-29-2006, 02:17 AM
Oh man, after listening (continuously) to 10,000 Days, for their next one to be a double album would be sooo sweet!

Perseensilmä
04-29-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey man, theyīve been working on 10,000 Days at least three years, it was composed of B-sides and old riffs. How long do you think it will take from Tool to make a double album of original music?

molehill
04-29-2006, 02:33 AM
I guess it's a subjective thing. I grew up listening to albums where a single song would take up the entire side of the vinyl, and I love that kind of thing.

Hearing 10,000 Days was a real shock for me the first time I listened to it. It was not at all what I expected to hear and it confused me, but listening to it again, it took me right back to sitting in my room listening to these albums. It took me right back to where I started loving music.

Perseensilmä
04-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Do you seriously think that it took three years to make this?

unfnknblvbl
04-29-2006, 02:38 AM
OK, what the fuck makes these people think that these songs are "B-Sides"?

Have any of them been released as secondary tracks on a single?

Just because one song on the album is based on an instrumental interlude that the band played live does not mean that it's a B-Side, or should be dismissed as 'old material' or whatever. Lots of bands do that; one example that sticks in my mind is Nirvana with the song 'Polly' - Kurt Cobain was just fucking about with the intro to it one day, and out came 'Dumb'. Does that make Dumb any less of a song than Polly? No.

Christ, just get the fuck over it already.

molehill
04-29-2006, 02:40 AM
I have no idea how long it took them to make this. I don't care. I love it.

They are not my performing monkeys, they create something that gives me much pleasure and I am happy for it. Beyond that, why do I give a damn about how it got to me, or how long it took to get to me?

Edit - Rhetoric obviously, the answer being that I don't.

unfnknblvbl
04-29-2006, 02:45 AM
Do I know what rhetorical means!?

molehill
04-29-2006, 03:00 AM
LOL

Volrath
04-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Does it matter? No it doesn't, i love this album.

OutlandishTeacup
04-29-2006, 03:57 AM
Do I know what rhetorical means!?

Lol.

badshirt
04-29-2006, 04:20 AM

Yes, dude. The riffs and guitar syncopation w/ drums and bass. Learn the album all the way through on either bass, guitar or drums and you'll see.

RED_THE_HAT
04-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Please dont tell me the hoax theory is still alive?

morgsatlarge
04-29-2006, 06:28 AM
I don't think the hoax theory will ever die. Unfortunately.

Alcawhorlick
04-29-2006, 07:24 AM
It's no longer the hoax theory. It's the "we fucked around for 5 years or so and could only write 6 songs, none of which are amazing. A lot of them sound a lot like lateralus, because a majority of the music was created during the lateralus era. (But of course DO NOT expect Lateralus II) The end product sounds like a half-assed Tool album,which it is" theory.

ripewithdecay
04-29-2006, 07:27 AM
It's no longer the hoax theory. It's the "we fucked around for 5 years or so and could only write 6 songs, none of which are amazing. A lot of them sound a lot like lateralus, because a majority of the music was created during the lateralus era. (But of course DO NOT expect Lateralus II) The end product sounds like a half-assed Tool album,which it is" theory.

I have a theory.

You're an ass.

Descencia
04-29-2006, 07:34 AM

Quoted for truth. But this thread should be in rumors, seeing as it's all unfounded conjecture regarding a double album.

unfnknblvbl
04-29-2006, 08:03 AM
I have a theory.

You're an ass.

Oh yes, now that's one theory I could definitely subscribe to!

CelestialRender
04-29-2006, 09:13 AM
This album is quite definitely up to the quality of their other albums once you get used to it.

Also: Bothering to learn the lyrics helps.

I have the distinct feeling that everyone bashing the album listened to it once while they were distracted, and knows like ten lines from the whole album.

#Notion
04-29-2006, 09:17 AM
If they didn't like it why would they want to listen to it any more than that...

waXresilienT
04-29-2006, 09:34 AM
?

MasterOfKtulu109
04-29-2006, 09:38 AM
If they didn't like it why would they want to listen to it any more than that...

because there is not a single great album that can be fully enjoyed after one listen

Agent_202
04-29-2006, 09:53 AM
with the double album theory.......

g n r's use your illusions?

10.000 nights released in 3 months time?

hmmmm........

Descencia
04-29-2006, 09:54 AM
lol@10,000 Nights. The Use Your Illusion albums were released on the same day.

Agent_202
04-29-2006, 09:57 AM
lol@10,000 Nights. The Use Your Illusion albums were released on the same day.

sorry. yer right. i got them confused with the soad hypno/mesmer albums.

Opiate Son
04-29-2006, 10:04 AM
I guess it's a subjective thing. I grew up listening to albums where a single song would take up the entire side of the vinyl, and I love that kind of thing.

Hearing 10,000 Days was a real shock for me the first time I listened to it. It was not at all what I expected to hear and it confused me, but listening to it again, it took me right back to sitting in my room listening to these albums. It took me right back to where I started loving music.

WIN!!! that is the fucking truth!!!

egrue
04-29-2006, 11:05 AM
danny said in an interview it took the only 4-5 months to make this one

ProdigyDub
04-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey man, theyīve been working on 10,000 Days at least three years, it was composed of B-sides and old riffs. How long do you think it will take from Tool to make a double album of original music?

There are so many incorrect things in this post it's hard to decide where to begin.

-They spent about 12-13 months writing AND recording this album. Not 3 years. They've said so explicitly

-Nothing on it is "b-sides". Just because you think some stuff sounds like Lateralus material does NOT mean it's b-sides. For material to be b-sides, a band has to specifically come out and say "we recorded all this during our last album and now we're giving it to you." Your subjective interpretation of what era it SOUNDS like it's from is worthless.

-I swear to god it really seems like some of you heard this album, thought that some riffs and ideas sounded similar to previous albums, and deleted all the mp3s while yelling "How horrible, this sounds like......TOOL!"

Perseensilmä
04-29-2006, 11:50 AM
There are so many incorrect things in this post it's hard to decide where to begin.

Begin from the start.
-They spent about 12-13 months writing AND recording this album. Not 3 years. They've said so explicitly

In December 2004, after a vacation, they resumed (means that the sessions began even earlier than that) the writing sessions of the new album. Even if they arenīt actively working on some stuff, still the whole thing is being worked out in their heads, sometimes more, sometimes less. So, itīs not like that it only counts when they are actually holding a guitar since the whole time, from the beginning to the end has some kind of an effect to the final product.

So, they started back in 2004 or maybe even earlier. If I remember correctly, they were actually recording their stuff in the beginning of 2005. It seems very strange that they only have this recycled piece of shit to show us.

At least thatīs what Blair has said about the recording/writing sessions.

-Nothing on it is "b-sides". Just because you think some stuff sounds like Lateralus material does NOT mean it's b-sides. For material to be b-sides, a band has to specifically come out and say "we recorded all this during our last album and now we're giving it to you." Your subjective interpretation of what era it SOUNDS like it's from is worthless.

They said that there was almost an album worth of material that didnīt make it to Lateralus. That statement + the fact that Wings for Marie-riff was probably left-overs from lateralus, at least they played it during their tour + the fact that it sounds like left-overs and rehashes = Collection of B-sides.

Oh yeah, they havenīt said so, but thatīs the only reasonable conclusion.

-I swear to god it really seems like some of you heard this album, thought that some riffs and ideas sounded similar to previous albums, and deleted all the mp3s while yelling "How horrible, this sounds like......TOOL!"

"Cover band of theirselves."

Kaiyuss
04-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Nobody is making you listen to Tool. If you don't like it, move on. Whining about it on a message board isn't going to make the band record a new album just for you.

Cucumber_11
04-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Something in Viginti Tres makes it seem like there will be an additional disk to this album. I dunno, it feels like it should link two pieces of music together. The fact it starts as soon as Right In Two finished rather than having a couple of minutes of silence inbetween also makes me believe this.

I dunno... Fucking great album though.

embracingyou
04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Billy Idol will be dead by the time Tool bring a double album out.

Fap
04-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Pearl Jam played a rift from the song Dissedent, during a live acoustic show, immediatly after Ten came out and before Vs. was released. I guess they're hacks too.

the usual
04-29-2006, 01:24 PM

ha ha what a hater.I love it!
go listen to mastodon there pretty sweet.

Opiate Son
04-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Billy Idol will be dead by the time Tool bring a double album out.

Billy Idol is alive?

Perseensilmä
04-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Nobody is making you listen to Tool. If you don't like it, move on. Whining about it on a message board isn't going to make the band record a new album just for you.

I am trying to affect their sales. You know, a little bit of revenge for such a shitty record.

monkeythumbs
04-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Begin from the start.

In December 2004, after a vacation, they resumed (means that the sessions began even earlier than that) the writing sessions of the new album. Even if they arenīt actively working on some stuff, still the whole thing is being worked out in their heads, sometimes more, sometimes less. So, itīs not like that it only counts when they are actually holding a guitar since the whole time, from the beginning to the end has some kind of an effect to the final product.

So, they started back in 2004 or maybe even earlier. If I remember correctly, they were actually recording their stuff in the beginning of 2005. It seems very strange that they only have this recycled piece of shit to show us.

At least thatīs what Blair has said about the recording/writing sessions.

They said that there was almost an album worth of material that didnīt make it to Lateralus. That statement + the fact that Wings for Marie-riff was probably left-overs from lateralus, at least they played it during their tour + the fact that it sounds like left-overs and rehashes = Collection of B-sides.

Oh yeah, they havenīt said so, but thatīs the only reasonable conclusion.

"Cover band of theirselves."

you sir are an idiot.

you have no idea what you are talking about, and i would bet my left nut that you cant play one chord or beat on ANYTHING.

you dont even know what you are talking about in reference to the time they spent making it.

me explaining it would be pointless.

kill yourself.

cornerstone
04-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Awesome.

I completely agree.

I do hope they come out with another album soon, but I'm not expecting a double album. It's too unrealistic. Maynard and the other members are too perfectionist, and have a specific sound they want to emit. It would take a huge leap to change their recording process and actually start pumping out a lot of music.

tDoXoMl
04-29-2006, 02:14 PM

Wickedly crushingly funny.

tDoXoMl
04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
I have a theory.

You're an ass.

Are you a republican?

Perseensilmä
04-29-2006, 02:16 PM
you sir are an idiot.

Woohoo, we have a psychiatrist in here!

you have no idea what you are talking about, and i would bet my left nut that you cant play one chord or beat on ANYTHING.

I won CC. Enough said.

you dont even know what you are talking about in reference to the time they spent making it.

Hell, I trust Blairīs actual newsletterīs and posts. Thatīs what he has said. DEC 2004 newsletter, check it out.

me explaining it would be pointless.

Thatīs because you are such a pointless person.
kill yourself.
OK.

tDoXoMl
04-29-2006, 02:16 PM
danny said in an interview it took the only 4-5 months to make this one

In the fuckin recording studio!

Perseensilmä
04-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Awesome.

I completely agree.

I do hope they come out with another album soon, but I'm not expecting a double album. It's too unrealistic. Maynard and the other members are too perfectionist, and have a specific sound they want to emit. It would take a huge leap to change their recording process and actually start pumping out a lot of music.

Or maybe itīs the DVD. I donīt know. But it definitely feels weird that it took this long to come up with 10,000 Days. Feels almost like Salival 2.

But itīs Tool, so the next one will be out like 2010.

Maybe they just need money for something really cool.I dunno, I hope that well get the serious effort in a year or something.

Luckily thereīs other good music out there.

tDoXoMl
04-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Something in Viginti Tres makes it seem like there will be an additional disk to this album. I dunno, it feels like it should link two pieces of music together. The fact it starts as soon as Right In Two finished rather than having a couple of minutes of silence inbetween also makes me believe this.

I dunno... Fucking great album though.

Reaching. But i like you anyways