PDA

View Full Version : Eulogy vs. Elegy

tiamaat666
04-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Eulogy- A laudatory speech or written tribute, especially one praising someone who has died

Elegy- A poem or song composed especially as a lament for a deceased person

Thoughts?

So is this song a eulogy or elegy?

bogsnarth
04-28-2006, 09:23 PM
one's different from the other.

ÆNIMA69
04-30-2006, 11:32 AM
elegy, because this is poetic, not speach like in any way

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
cleverly trying to edit your post to make mine seem nonsequitur EH?

yeah, elegy.

AshleyDyan
04-30-2006, 03:22 PM
I think it's more eulogy than elegy. Sure, an elegy is a poem or song, but it's also a form of showing deep grief. Although there is sadness from his mother's death, I don't think MJK wrote the song as a way of expressing his grieving process. I think the song is more a tribute to his mother, in saying that she deserves her wings and acceptance into Heaven and that though she suffered a great deal while here on Earth she still possessed such strong faith.

praefector
04-30-2006, 03:35 PM
both

anajberg
04-30-2006, 05:02 PM
This is neither a eulogy or an elegy. The reason it can neither be a eulogy or an elegy is because it is a direct conversation between the maynard and his mother. Eulogies and elegies are both delivered to an audience, meant to convince them of the merit of the dead. However, curiously, Judith Marie is the one in this song who delivers an elegy or a eulogy for herself to her maker - curiously it is done vicariously through the suggested words of Maynard - "never took a life, etc.."

toocooltool
05-01-2006, 03:37 AM
This is neither a eulogy or an elegy. The reason it can neither be a eulogy or an elegy is because it is a direct conversation between the maynard and his mother. Eulogies and elegies are both delivered to an audience, meant to convince them of the merit of the dead. However, curiously, Judith Marie is the one in this song who delivers an elegy or a eulogy for herself to her maker - curiously it is done vicariously through the suggested words of Maynard - "never took a life, etc.."

KNows his SCHTUFF.

Eulogy33
05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
both.