PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like SOAD

sanjaygolf
04-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Dont get me wrong, I like this song a lot but the whole demise of man message just gives me a system of a down vibe. I like system of a down a lot too but i just want tool to sound like tool and not like anyone else.

cr0nick
04-28-2006, 05:27 PM
i'm sure the band was going for the SOAD sound.

ProdigyDub
04-28-2006, 05:45 PM
This song sounds absolutely nothing like SOAD. The lyrics are perhaps loosely similar but not that close. And the music doesn't sound even remotely similar.

Pushing Monkeys
04-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Tool have been portraying "the whole demise of man message" for years now... glad you finally picked it up...

btw, i don't think Tool's new album sounds anything like SOAD... which i see as a very good thing.

Heroin
04-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Tool have been portraying "the whole demise of man message" for years now... glad you finally picked it up...

btw, i don't think Tool's new album sounds anything like SOAD... which i see as a very good thing.

verry good thing

HalfASandwidch
04-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Tool sounds like SOAD?... Wtf? SOAD sounds like SOAD. Tool sounds like.... Tool.

And yes it's good that Tool doesn't sound like SOAD... SOAD has been going downhill with these new albums. I'm still tripping from the first one and those fucking spiders.

champion
04-29-2006, 04:37 AM
How in the world does Right in Two, a somber, slow-paced, build-up song with tabla, sound like System of a Down?

placidium
04-29-2006, 04:38 AM
they do have some things in common ......

bad vocals ..... derivative guitar work ......

anajberg
05-01-2006, 02:13 PM
SOAD - "I am just a man killing other men for land, for land." - Egobrain

Tool - "Monkeys killing monkeys killing monkeys over pieces of the ground"

So yes, there is a distinct overlap in the messages at this point - however, System of the Down - don't get me wrong, I think they're quite good - ends their message at the criticism. Tool offers an alternative, consistent with the more constructive view of music and experience Maynard frequently offers in concert, with the next several lines. What we end up with is the difference between posing a critical argument in SOAD and a proposal argument in Tool.

Barto
05-02-2006, 06:53 AM
As Cr0nick pointed out, Tool have been around a lot longer than SOAD. As far as originality goes, In my opinion, Tool are THE most original band around, to link them with that joke of a band SOAD (my opinion only SOAD loverz) is delusional.

Wired Nemesis
05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Totally different vibes and messages from these two bands.

Sanzen
05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Dont get me wrong, I like this song a lot but the whole demise of man message just gives me a system of a down vibe. I like system of a down a lot too but i just want tool to sound like tool and not like anyone else.

This gets one big WTF.

hbynoe
05-03-2006, 10:02 PM
soad as in system of a down??? if so...then...uh

NO

MrNatural
05-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Tool sounds like S.O.A.D??? ive never felt so old

Benevolent Son
05-05-2006, 08:07 AM
TOOL sound like SOAD! Fuck off!!! Soad has made a career out of trying to sound like TOOL. Serj and the boys will never get it! Apparently, neither do you. Try thinking things out before you embarass yourself again. SOAD= Poor man's TOOL.

rembrandt_q_einstein
05-05-2006, 08:18 AM
TOOL sound like SOAD! Fuck off!!! Soad has made a career out of trying to sound like TOOL. Serj and the boys will never get it! Apparently, neither do you. Try thinking things out before you embarass yourself again. SOAD= Poor man's TOOL.

i dont agree with you on soad being a poor man's TOOL... maybe if TOOL was aremenian... however, TOOL doesn't ever sound like soad. but i just dont think soad has tried to sound like TOOL. soad is definetely not as complex but i think they try to appeal to a different genre than TOOL does... not to say you cant be a fan of both, as i certainly am

Benevolent Son
05-05-2006, 08:33 AM
i dont agree with you on soad being a poor man's TOOL... maybe if TOOL was aremenian... however, TOOL doesn't ever sound like soad. but i just dont think soad has tried to sound like TOOL. soad is definetely not as complex but i think they try to appeal to a different genre than TOOL does... not to say you cant be a fan of both, as i certainly am
When I hear Soad and their constant tempo changes, Serj's voice combined with their song's subject matter I hear definate TOOL inspiration. The percussion, the voice range and even the Spiders video absolutely reeked of TOOL. SOAD, while having some decent tunes, will never gain my respect untill they are able to create moving music to the beat of their OWN drum.

champion
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I always thought SOAD tried to be Faith No More/Mr. Bungle more than Tool.

minusblindfold
05-05-2006, 11:57 AM
im really not seeing the entire soad and tool comparison. i think soad has a pretty distinct sound that sounds nothing like tool. maybe they have similar messages, but a lot of bands, authors, directors, etc. have had the same messages, just presented in different ways.

yossaricat
05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
SOAD - "I am just a man killing other men for land, for land." - Egobrain

Tool - "Monkeys killing monkeys killing monkeys over pieces of the ground"

So yes, there is a distinct overlap in the messages at this point - however, System of the Down - don't get me wrong, I think they're quite good - ends their message at the criticism. Tool offers an alternative, consistent with the more constructive view of music and experience Maynard frequently offers in concert, with the next several lines. What we end up with is the difference between posing a critical argument in SOAD and a proposal argument in Tool.

"learn to swim" -- aenema, 1996. tool wins.

burning bridges
05-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Mr. Bungle did on the first album everything SOAD has been trying to do for the past three.

seneca77
05-05-2006, 08:31 PM
when the fuck did SOAD get the patent on the demise of men?

they are not the first, last, or even the most original ones to speak of it.

good grief.

Unintelligible_Whispering
05-06-2006, 04:26 AM
actually, its "I am just a man, fighting other men for land, for land" so thats already thrown off that idea of yours.
lyrically, right in two doesn't sound like any soad song, unless you're saying becasue its a slower song, which is a piece of shit of a reason.
and musically...cmon. the guitar is different to system, the bass is different, and the drummer from soad doesn't play tabla. i'm sure other people can come up with other reasons why this doesn't sound like soad, so i'll leave it to them.

Opiate_Mass
05-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Tool sounds like SOAD?... Wtf? SOAD sounds like SOAD. Tool sounds like.... Tool.

And yes it's good that Tool doesn't sound like SOAD... SOAD has been going downhill with these new albums. I'm still tripping from the first one and those fucking spiders.
Everyone knows that SOAD only had two albumns. Self-titled and Toxicity.

TurdEye13
05-06-2006, 07:58 AM
System Of A Down? No way! More like A Perfect Circle in the beginning, that guitar lick sounds like something Howerdel would write.

smeefsmeef
05-06-2006, 09:48 AM
This song sounds more like Billy Joel than SOAD

quesati
05-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Surely you're joking

Loveboat Captain
05-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I don't see the comparison myself. Someone mentioned that SOAD end their message at criticism. It's this that seperates the two bands. SOAD are a fine band. But they are telling me things I already know.

Shadow_walker
05-07-2006, 11:09 AM
System of a Down completely fucking sucks. Their lyrics are stupid and every single chorus is sang like 8x in each song.. Fucking annyong.
EXAMPLE:::

"Vicinity Of Obscenity"

Liar!
Liar!
Banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!

Is there a perfect way of holding you baby?! (Liar)
Vicinity of Obscenity in your eyes!
Terracotta terracotta terracotta PIE!

Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie!

Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terrecotta terracotta pie!
Do we all learn defeat from the whores with bad feet
Beat the meat (beat the meat),
Treat the feet (treat the feet)
To the sweet, milky seat

Banana banana banana terracotta banana terrecotta terracotta pie!

Is there a perfect way of holding you baby! (Liar)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie!

Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Treat the feet (Treat the feet)
To the sweet, milky seat

Liar [moan]
Liar [moan]
Liar [demon moan]
Liar [moan]

Enough said.

TheBigTool
05-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't see any comparison between the two. Maybe a very remote association as far as the meaning of the songs.

As far as sound, Tool and SOAD both have very distinct sounds that are easily recognizable and neither of those sounds is anywhere near similar if you ask me. And I can't imagine SOAD has been "trying" to sound like Tool since they have some pretty talented musicians, I am guessing if they wanted to sound like Tool they could. But like Tool, SOAD really doesn't sound like anyone else.

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 01:02 PM
It doesn't sound like System of a Down.

If it sounded like System of a Down, we'd only get the first 5 or 6 tracks on this release. We'd get the other half of the CD in November.

Because we would "need time to digest the lyrics" or some bullshit like that.

xPOGOx
05-07-2006, 01:03 PM
System of a Down completely fucking sucks. Their lyrics are stupid and every single chorus is sang like 8x in each song.. Fucking annyong.

"Vicinity Of Obscenity"

Interestingly, that's the only song I like off the CDs they released in 2005. And I don't like it because it's good. I like it because it's funny.

smeefsmeef
05-07-2006, 02:10 PM

"Vicinity Of Obscenity"

Liar!
Liar!

Terracotta terracotta terracotta PIE!

Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie!

Treat the feet (treat the feet)
To the sweet, milky seat

Banana banana banana terracotta banana terrecotta terracotta pie!

Is there a perfect way of holding you baby! (Liar)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie!

Treat the feet (Treat the feet)
To the sweet, milky seat

Liar [moan]
Liar [moan]
Liar [demon moan]
Liar [moan]

Enough said.

That's my favorite SOAD song, ever. Seriously. I think it's very creative and out-of-the-ordinary (musically speaking). This song kicks ass. For real, dude.

smeefsmeef
05-07-2006, 02:14 PM

Ever listen to "Disposition" (by Tool btw)?

Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything
... and watch the weather change.

repeated, like 50 times.

Enough said.

smeefsmeef
05-07-2006, 02:15 PM
btw,

I love Tool.

Opiate_Mass
05-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I always thought SOAD tried to be Faith No More/Mr. Bungle more than Tool.
Amen to that.

Long live Patton!!!

Opiate_Mass
05-07-2006, 03:34 PM
That's my favorite SOAD song, ever. Seriously. I think it's very creative and out-of-the-ordinary (musically speaking). This song kicks ass. For real, dude.
you know what's funny? that albumn sucked, as did mezmerize and steal this.
i can't believe you like hypnotize xD.
yeah, you're a real soad fan *cough*

Matt8
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
man i do love me some SOAD but them and tool arent really similar sounding. they both have four band members and the same instruments. thats about it.

Matt8
05-07-2006, 03:36 PM
i do agree with SOAD kind of copying Mr. Bungle. they themselves have admitted they love Mr. Bungle and often try to write similar songs.

bozziodrummer000
05-07-2006, 03:45 PM
highway song was the only good tune off steal this

Matt8
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
personally i love all their songs. they just work for me.

Prison Sex
05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah. I'm sure Tool said, "Hey, let's steal lyrics and ideas from a band who haven't had a decent album since 1999."

I bet thats exactly what they said...

rogerdoger
05-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Allright, how the hell can anyone claim Tool is stealing lyrics from SOAD because they're talking about the demise of man? Jesus christ, everyone talks about the demise of man, I mean, Bono talks about the demise of man.....sorry but, SOAD didn't originate the idea of the demise of man....

Benevolent Son
05-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't see any comparison between the two. Maybe a very remote association as far as the meaning of the songs.

As far as sound, Tool and SOAD both have very distinct sounds that are easily recognizable and neither of those sounds is anywhere near similar if you ask me. And I can't imagine SOAD has been "trying" to sound like Tool since they have some pretty talented musicians, I am guessing if they wanted to sound like Tool they could. But like Tool, SOAD really doesn't sound like anyone else.
If they could, they would.

Vicarious_Lee
05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
System of a Down, and Tool both share equal qualities, Both bands, have members, that have undergone and seen quite a bit, that no one should have to, and both of them also find a way to make money by bitching about it. personally i'd rather listen to Maynard bitch about anything, anyday, but thats not the point, the point is, There are more than just 2 bands that have been talking about the demise of a man, for decades, fucking decades, of course you get, certain ideas,along the way, on how to express it through words, and rhyme scheme but that is what tool is about, all about, their guitarist, Mr. Adam Jones Himself, as i read in guitar magazine's April issue, Tool is all about defining basic geometry, in the world, breaking it down into colors, shapes, etc. of course their going to talk about demise of man, its just another piece in the puzzle of this world, and they have to break that down to, in order to understand it, and so they have done it for the public once again, but how you interpret it, how you fit your own pieces of the puzzle together, that makes it different.

Yard Man
05-08-2006, 08:34 AM
SOAD good albums where there first two... after that shit fell apart, granted there is some decent stuff on steal this albuma nd mesmerize/hypnotize but as a whole Those where the only fully good albums.

Any yeah Tool and SOAD? Get new ears people, they sound NOTHING alike.

mythirdeye
05-08-2006, 08:58 AM
system of a down is fast paced and in your face. i can see how the lyrics relate a little bit, but it still sounds like tool to me.