PDA

View Full Version : The "Blues Album"

Alex in Chains
04-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I think Danny (was it him? I can't remember who said it) may have been thinking specifically about this song when he called 10,000 Days their blues album.

Anyone else notice how bluesy this song is? They have that (approximately) AABA structure to the music for parts of it, and even Maynard's melody gets bluesy in those sections. You can almost picture him sitting with an ES-335 and belting one out about his woman leaving him.

For example, listen to the song at 1:32; that's where the bluesy stuff starts. Also, I like the nod to Soundgarden with much of the guitar and vocals.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this (forgive me if someone already has): What about the whole "muddy water" line? As in Muddy Waters, famous blues guy.

tarnationsauce2
05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Interesting thought.
Indigo is a shade of blue too....

Terry21
05-08-2006, 07:49 AM
He even says "Muddy waterS"

anagram?
05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
For example, listen to the song at 1:32; that's where the bluesy stuff starts. Also, I like the nod to Soundgarden with much of the guitar and vocals.

I hadn't thought of Soundgarden when I initially heard the song...to me, it sounds more like 1970s Aerosmith, but obviously more intricate and with a MUCH better bass.

pryingopenmy3rdeye
05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
i thoguht danny was jsut kidding b/c the spirit on the oiija board (jan or feb. newsletter) called maynard blues bialo.

Matt8
05-08-2006, 03:15 PM
it is kind of a bluesy album. very sad.

tool25
05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
compared to the other cd's this is by far the bluesiest :)

Matt8
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
oh and it was maynard who said that. it was in last months revolver which im reading at this very moment.

Neuk77
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking the reason they (I've heard Maynard mention it too) have said this is there blues album more has to do with the overall structures of the songs. I think there is a little more "free form" than on previous albums. Like in Wings 1/2 there are long sections where it sounds like they could just jam on them for a while if they wanted to.

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
05-11-2006, 06:33 AM
I'm thinking the reason they (I've heard Maynard mention it too) have said this is there blues album more has to do with the overall structures of the songs. I think there is a little more "free form" than on previous albums. Like in Wings 1/2 there are long sections where it sounds like they could just jam on them for a while if they wanted to.

I think your probably right

Aggroculture
05-11-2006, 10:33 PM
When they said that...they mustave been high.

The Pot reminds me of Led Zeppelin, and the band has admitted this too.

kirm
05-13-2006, 02:28 AM
But led zep are blues, just big fuck off rocking blues!

ryzur
05-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I think the reason this is called a blues album isnt for the structure or even sound of the songs. There isnt a bluesy thing going on in any of the songs (if you think so just go ahead and listen to some Muddy Waters, whoa big difference). I think that if they were even serious about this comment it meant about them "getting back to their roots" and getting back to the basics on the way they do things. When Aerosmith releases an album of blues standards, its to pay homage to their roots. These guys are digging into metal, heavy, almost (in comparison to Lateralus) simplisitic ways on 10Kdays. Also, the lyrical content could make a valid argument for the blues, them venting their ideas and problems. I just think the idea that Tool has blues in their music (in the literal musical sense) is very very misinformed. As well, pretty much 80% of rock music is structurally similar to blues, but that doesn't make it all blues either.

Ertai
05-17-2006, 05:39 AM
some of the reference to the blues album is the drumming near the end of wings pt2... when maynard makes the reference to his mother, danny uses a swing technique at the cymbals which is blues technique.

UtUmNo1
05-17-2006, 06:01 AM
This is a blues album in that it is a lament.

/lock.

paraflux
05-17-2006, 06:03 AM
oh and it was maynard who said that. it was in last months revolver which im reading at this very moment.
And he said they were "joking" about it.

eL-TooLo
05-17-2006, 08:30 AM
I think when Danny Carey says that, he reffers to the meaning of the blues, the kind of life it is to live the blues... it's pretty damn high, it's even scary. It can makes you cry, it can be frustrating...it's all about "truth" man. The blues, it's scary, cuz "love" is bullshit today. People are wrong, and you're alone living in all that bullshit. That's the blues. You're alone... compare it like this: people living the blues****stars you can see in the night sky. It means that like 97% of people are wrong... It means you could die and you don't even care. It means you're desperate. You're burning from the inside, and dying, suffering, too much love to give man, nothing's pure, music is the only way to give the purest "love" you could give... that's the blues

kirm
05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I actauly see jambi as a blues song, dirty & heavy as fuck like but has a proper bluesy feel to it

YURAKAPTIV
05-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I think they're referring more to how this album is less esoteric,more straight forward,like when you sing the blues,you say what you really feel without using many metaphors.
Of course Tool are always going to have some hidden meanings in their music.

Thejoelsvolta
05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
I believe that 10,000 days is the most bluesy song on this album, not because of the lyrical content, but all the triplett feel in the bass. There is little distortion, and has more of a walking bassline blues feel. In addition, the bass drum mainly stays on quarter notes to keep the feel going

Blanket_509
05-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I believe that 10,000 days is the most bluesy song on this album, not because of the lyrical content, but all the triplett feel in the bass. There is little distortion, and has more of a walking bassline blues feel. In addition, the bass drum mainly stays on quarter notes to keep the feel going

How do triplets make for a "bluesy" sound? I'm an experienced drummer and I don't understand that statement. I think when they say that this album is their blues album, they are not referring to the instrumentation, but the lyrical content. This album is a lament.

seneca77
05-20-2006, 10:28 PM
adam was the one who said this is TOOL's blues album

implandnoises
05-21-2006, 12:03 AM
adam was the one who said this is TOOL's blues album
Is it possible guys, that they all said it? I mean, we agree someone said it right? But that doesn't mean that it's impossible for more than one person to say it, does it? Hell, I'll say it:

It's tool's blues album.

Oh look, it turns out it was me who said it and not the guys from tool. Confusing universe, isn't it?

tbrent21
05-23-2006, 05:44 PM
The idea of Tool identifying themselves with blues music in the instrumental sense, or paying some kind of homage to Muddy Waters by the lines in this song, both seem kinda absurd to me.

TheHolyGift
05-23-2006, 06:19 PM
There's no musical similarity to blues; 10,000 Days isn't repetitive and shitty. This whole 'blues album' thing is a half-joke concerning the sadness on the album.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
05-23-2006, 06:38 PM
This whole 'blues album' thing is a half-joke concerning the sadness on the album.

thank you.

Blanket_509
05-24-2006, 09:22 PM
There's no musical similarity to blues; 10,000 Days isn't repetitive and shitty. This whole 'blues album' thing is a half-joke concerning the sadness on the album.

There nothing shitty about blues. If it weren't for the blues we would all be listening to classical music and we would accept it because there would be no alternative. Modern music only came to be, as a result of an amalgamation of african rhythms brought by the slaves and classical european melody. Behold!...The "Blues" (also jazz). So you best be thanking those old bluesmen for directly or indirectly inspiring nearly every piece of music you have ever bought or heard.

one_reflection
05-24-2006, 09:33 PM
I think they're referring more to how this album is less esoteric,more straight forward,like when you sing the blues,you say what you really feel without using many metaphors.
Of course Tool are always going to have some hidden meanings in their music.

I havent read the whole tread...too long. But i am in love with this song. I dont know if you are agreeing with the blues thing Yurakakptiv, but no metaphors? Im pretty sure there are plenty!

A thought about the song, if it hasnt been said before, i was thinking...it is full of rephrased cliches. The title, practically every verse. All things we should be familiar with, just put forward in a slightly different way than we might be used to. So, i dunno, i thought maybe the theme of the song is something that we shoud be familiar with also...that like a cliche its time-worn, just 'rephrased'.

hmm. i should go to sleep :/

seneca77
05-25-2006, 07:45 PM
i think what was meant about the "blues" thing is every song on this album is a tragedy. much like singin the blues