PDA

View Full Version : CONTEST/PRIZE :D Deep spiritual meaning... or some sh**

DTrain
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
(Contest details below)

To me this song reads a little bit more like "Die Eier von Satan" than it does "Pushit"...

I think people forget that sometimes a band just likes to be over the top, and create somthing entertaining. That's how this song strikes me, personally anyway.

The drug-induced theories are the best for this song so far, it really just sounds like someone who is trying to come to grips with an experience that he doesn't really believe in himself.

I remember a story a relative of mine told me once, about how she was at a party, high on LSD, when she had a thought.

This thought was going to change the world! Oh my I have to write this down, this is amazing... life as we know it is going to end as a result of this thought I just had... if I could only find somthing to write it down on.

Great, I found somthing *writes thought on napkin*

Fast forward to next morning: She wakes up, goes about her morning, only to later find this napkin in her pocket. Excited at the prospect of changing the world, she quickly pulls out the napkin to read this deep, meaningful, life altering message:

"There is a funny smell in this room."

What's the moral of the story?

You have a trip, you think you've had an amazingly life altering, would-changing journey. When you re-cap the experinece the next day, you realize your brain has simply glorified the norm.

The Rosetta Stone was an important message, and the key to understanding hieroglyphics. Rosetta Stoned is a great pun to describe the kind of "Deep, meaningful" messages people have when they're stoned.

A story that fits the song:

Imagine this a little bit overweight guy, sitting at his guard post outside of area 51, watching the adventures of jackie chan on his little TV (life is boring as a guard), eating Krispy Kreams, doing a little LSD or DMT, (knowingly? unknowingly? Pressures from the workplace?), when all of a sudden a jeep drives out of the dark with its floodlights on, only to have someone in camo attempt to gain access to area 51 (authorized probably), and figure out that this guy isn't quite in his right mind (by bugged out eyes, a gaping jaw, and a stuttering voice).

He is then hauled into an interrogation room, tested for drugs, told he'll lose his job as a result -- news that would seem pretty life changing when you're high on LSD. Strapped down to a hopsital bed for detox, scared shitless (pun intended) by this experience, and not listening to what they're saying (penuts parents), or perhaps totally incapable of focusing on anything.

Finally, he is released into a public hospital (dropped off on the curb?) with A frustrated drug-laced brain aware of a situation that it knows it isn't able to deal with, wishing it had some way to recall what had just happened.

Finally coming down a bit, but still stoned, he attempts to tell the doctor what had just happened.

Any thoughts? I don't actually believe this is what MJK was thinking when he wrote the song -- but it was a fun excuse to write a story.

Contest:

I got an idea -- Come up with your own story!

Details:

Assuming that the song is simply a drug induced trip -- come up with a story of what every-day regular thing someone might be doing while stoned to produce a trip that fits the description given in Rosetta Stoned.

I will judge any post that goes up in this thread as a submission, and I will announce the winner in this thread and by a PM to that user.

The Prize:

If you use PayPal, I will reimburse you for your copy of 10,000 Days (up to $15.00 usd) -- must provide proof of purchase (scan a receipt or somthing). I would buy it for you and ship it, but I _KNOW_ you don't want to wait for that.

Judging:

Your submission will be judged based on:

30% - Entertainment value
50% - How well it ties into the song (can I picture this trip coming out of that situation)
20% - Originality and Creativity

Pass/Fail - Writing ability (I don't want to read a bunch of BS h4x0r speak, run-on-sentances, or posts that are 5,000 words -- all one paragraph.) This will be judged on a pass/fail criteria so I don't have to filter the BS.

Just so that you all know: I'm not affiliated with anyone other than my self -- this is a personal little contest run out of pure curiosity, and I hope the admins of this site don't mind me doing it! :)

Deadline for Submission:

Friday, May 5th.

Winner announced Sunday, May 7th.

DTrain
05-02-2006, 01:23 PM
HEY, still going!!

Any takers? :)

Carny_Handles
05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
may fifth eh? I think i can come up with something by then, after all im here right, and have read every word of your post and it makes perfect sense to me. So far, i have found a connection with this song and third eye. some of the music sounds like a distant dream of third eye in my head, which will need to be laid out in a better fashion in the future. Also having had multiple experiences with panic attacks while under the influence of certain drugs, i know what the patient is going through. .. this will be a fun contest :D .

Plus I just got the damn cd today and am on my first listen.. so I havent had much time to hear it as some who downloaded the leak.

Madrid
05-02-2006, 03:18 PM
I'll put my 2-cents in.

Dogzilla
05-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm totally in.

Dogzilla
05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
You wanna set a length limit?

DTrain
05-03-2006, 09:11 AM
You wanna set a length limit?

Lets limit the length to 1000 words, though I'm not going to be terribly strict on that. I'm going to extend the deadline for entrys to May 8th, with winner announced on the 10th. That will allow those who just bought it to catch up to all of those people who couldn't wait ;)

Dogzilla
05-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Post entries here or post links to entries here?

Or privately e-mail 'em to you and you decide what gets posted?

Seriously, I'm taking this very seriously as a writing challenge and am having a blast with it. Thanks for "sponsoring" your contest.

toocooltool
05-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Can i win?

DTrain
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Post entries here or post links to entries here?

Or privately e-mail 'em to you and you decide what gets posted?

Seriously, I'm taking this very seriously as a writing challenge and am having a blast with it. Thanks for "sponsoring" your contest.

Post entries in the thread -- that's where I'll be judging them. Then again, I'm not that picky -- if you PM me your story, I'll still judge it, but I will also post it in the thread.

Thanks!

DTrain
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Can i win?

Yes you can... if you write somthing :) Read the contest rules.

halcyon1234
05-04-2006, 11:58 PM
(Contest details below)

Contest:

I got an idea -- Come up with your own story!

Details:

Assuming that the song is simply a drug induced trip -- come up with a story of what every-day regular thing someone might be doing while stoned to produce a trip that fits the description given in Rosetta Stoned.

Alright, I'll bite. Here's my entry. My inspiration came not only from Rosetta Stoned (and, of course, Lost Keys), but also from Vicarious. (I'll go into more detail after the story)

Here's my entry (1204 words):

START OF ENTRY

Sarah burst through the door to Chen's office.

"Your work-study kid's gone fucking bat-nuts."

"What?" Chen looked up at the director. "What happened?"

She was already halfway out the door. "Come now before he fucks up the whole morning's broadcast!"

#

Chen hustled down the studio hall. Fluorescent overheads and flashing "On Air" lights whizzed by. He only barely matched Sarah's spiriting gait. Too much time behind a desk.

"What's happened?" he blew out from sweaty lips.

"Don't know," she called back, shouting between gulps of air, "We were sifting through the feeds. Editing the promos." They turned to corner, towards the main editing suite. "Suddenly there's food flying, and he's running around yelling _holy fucking shit_!"

The end of the hallways was lined with floor-to-ceiling windows, each of them tinted. Enough to keep the glare out, but still let tour groups get a glimpse at Where It All Happened. Not that there were any tours during the graveyard shift.

_And thank the sweet Gods for that_, Chen thought. He could see the kid, silhouetted against the stacked rows of television screens. The suite was soundproofed, but the lurches and flailing arms shouted "raving lunatic" louder than words.

Sarah skidded to a halt, and reached for the door.

"Wait!" Chen shouted. She threw him a look over her shoulder. "Are we just going to barge in there?"

"Yes," Sarah hissed, her eyes darting back and forth between Chen, and the plethora of delicate equipment inside the suite. "I'll distract him. You pull some kung-fu shit on him."

"It's judo shit," Chen shot back. And if he'd been keeping up with it, he wouldn't be this out of breath from a quick run. "I--" But Sarah already had the door open, and was through.

#

The moment the door had opened, he could hear the kids' raving. "Fuck me!" Then, wordless syllables strung together through loose lips.

Chen waited with his back to the wall, daring not to let his presence be known until Sarah could pull off whatever distraction she had in mind.

Sarah's own words filtered through, abating the kid's noise. "Calm down. Calm down. It's alright. You're in a safe place. We want to help you."

Chen stole a quick glance around the doorframe. She'd maneuvered her way between the kid and the screens. His back was to the door. Now was as good a time as any. With knees bent and arms out, he slunk into the editing suite.

Sarah had his attention. She stood before him, hands out, all brown hair and curves and citrus body spray. The kid wasn't moving, but was hardly still. Even from the doorway, Chen could see the kid was a vibrating ball of potential energy waiting to be tipped the wrong way.

The kid tilted his head back, looking up at the screens. His arm swayed slightly to the left. _There!_ Chen saw the opening and took it. He lunged forward, snagged the dangling wrist and twisted. He followed through, hooking the kid's leg, and put every ounce of his overweight into it. They went down together. The kid didn't struggle. Instead, he relaxed.

Chen didn't dare let go of the fetal grapple, no matter how relaxed the body he held became.

"Call security," Chen growled.

"Forget that," Sarah said, shaking her head. "If management gets wind of a work-study hopped up on fuck-knows-what while on duty, you can kiss your outreach program goodbye."

"Like you'd complain about that," Chen said, trying to keep the bitterness out of his voice.

"I may not like working with high-school drop outs," Sarah said through clenched teeth, "But I'll be fucked if this little shit sends the whole program down in flames-- and you with it. We handle this ourselves."

"I--" Chen scrunched his nose. Goddamnit, he wanted the kid relaxed, but not _that_ relaxed. He broke the fetal hold before the kid's soiled pants could seep into his own. The kid rolled onto his back, head lolling, eyes staring at the screens.

The kid wasn't going anywhere. Chen got to his feet. He smoothed down his blue-grey suit, and shook his head. "I chose him. From all the applicants, I chose him." He shook his head. The kid's eyes fluttered.

Sarah put a hand on Chen's shoulder, and gave a little pat.

Chen shrugged it off, and turned his back on the kid. He didn't know how to handle this. He crossed his arms, and stared at the screens, trying to concentrate on anything but the roiling feeling in his gut. Disappointment.

A loop of commercials ran on the kid's station, interspersed with bumpers for the sci-fi weekend. Sarah's viewing station had the live news feeds off the satellite-- all recorded for later reference. The editing station had a few freeze-frames. One, a pillar of fire. The other, a long-shot of a middle-aged woman in handcuffs, face illuminated by the red and blue of cop cars.

"I was deciding on the lead story for the morning news just before," she waved her hand at the kid.

"What's what?"

She stood beside him, shoulder to shoulder. "Green-zone bombing, great footage, two dead" Sarah replied, "Or house-wife poisoned the tea of her husband. Report says she kissed him goodbye."

"Local couple?" Chen asked.

"Nope."

"Forget it then. Shift them to third spot. Lead with the bomb. Will you have time to do the segments?"

Sarah nodded. "The kid worked up both before I put him on commercial duty. Grumbled plenty about." She threw her hands in the air, and mocked the kid's voice. "Oh! So much death in the news. Oh!" She rolled her eyes.

Chen sighed, and turned his attention back to the kid. He'd curled up into a ball, and was staring at his own reflection in the looking-glass walls. "What do we do?"

"Belleview's three blocks away. Dump him in the detox, and scram. Let them take care of him."

"But tomorrow--"

Sarah cut him off. "He'll get the message. And the others in line in the work-study program-- they'll get the message, too. Come on, grab an arm. We'll take my car."

By the light of the flickering images of all the news stories that could be, Chen and Sarah dragged the kid from the editing suite.

#

The nurse tucked the chart under her arm, and made her way down the finally quiet hallways. The emergency room was calm at last. With the last of the priority patients tucked away into rooms or cop cars or body bags, the reporters had called it a night and left. All what remained was the bottom of the triage list. One case, in Exam 3. He seemed blasted out of his mind, but--

She knew a dead head case when she saw one-- and this boy wasn't one. No obvious physical trauma, vitals are stable. Something had sent him off, but it wasn't chemical. This one would have to be looked at by the doctor.

She caught a glimpse of the white lab coat topped with scraggly locks of gray hair zipping away from the coffee machine. She hustled to catch up with Dr. Watson.

"Excuse me, doctor, do you have a moment?"

END OF ENTRY

I thought about what everyday thing could cause a bizzare trip like "described" in Rosetta Stoned. And that got me thinking about what other everyday things 10,000 Days contained. And there it was, track 1. The stories of death and misery that completely surround us, all the time, that have become accepted background noise. But when you're the sort of person who _isn't_ a "monster" who doesn't get joy from those stories-- then suddenly becoming hyper-aware of them might be tramatic.

Hyper-awarness caused by a drug trip? Or by over exposure? Or one that lead to the other, in either order? Or both? Ask Dr. Watson. =)

- Halcyon

MyShadow23
05-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Alright, I'll bite. Here's my entry. My inspiration came not only from Rosetta Stoned (and, of course, Lost Keys), but also from Vicarious. (I'll go into more detail after the story)

Hyper-awarness caused by a drug trip? Or by over exposure? Or one that lead to the other, in either order? Or both? Ask Dr. Watson. =)

- Halcyon

Wow. That is really really good. Well done. I much prefer your interpretation that this is not necessarily an acid trip, but could be triggered by other "trauma" as you mention.

Didn't get the chance to write something myself, but if i had, i would have liked it to be something like this. I like it.

halcyon1234
05-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Wow. That is really really good. Well done. I much prefer your interpretation that this is not necessarily an acid trip, but could be triggered by other "trauma" as you mention.

Didn't get the chance to write something myself, but if i had, i would have liked it to be something like this. I like it.

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

MyShadow23
05-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

No problem. Looks like you win. Everyone else whimped out.

halcyon1234
05-16-2006, 06:00 PM
No problem. Looks like you win. Everyone else whimped out.

I guess so. Lucky for DTrain, I got the CD on a release-day 1/3 off special. And in Canadian funds to boot. =)

mikey6719
05-16-2006, 06:56 PM
I just shit my bed, or is it my neighbors couch?