PDA

View Full Version : just a thought

bogsnarth
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
with all the discussion trying to decipher the possible "lyrics" near the end of this track, a thought occured to me.. and maybe i'm slow in recognizing this, but so be it.

perhaps this song is designed like a zen mondo (http://buddhism.about.com/cs/zen/g/Mondo.htm).. the more you think about it, the more it seems like it should mean something (i.e. the more the "voice" sounds like it should be saying something), but the longer you spend analyzing it, the less sense it seems to make.

since the 23 phenomenon is closely linked to the work of robert anton wilson, i'm sure the band is familiar with such classic mondos as the one illustrated here, in the only stripcreator comic i ever made: http://www.stripcreator.com/comics/bogsnarth/186253 and i wouldn't put it past them to include something similar on one of their albums.

and before anyone jumps in with the "they're just laughing at us!" idea, i think it is more than that.. as the about.com page indicates, the purpose of a mondo is to "cut through habitual thought processes and conceptualization"..

anyone who follows the 23 enigma far enough begins to see it in relation to the following statements.. the first from the immortal Principia Discordia (http://www.principiadiscordia.com) and the second from physicist Arthur Eddington (quoted near the end of Cosmic Trigger by robert anton wilson):

The Law of Fives

The Law of Fives is one of the oldest Erisian Mysterees. It was first revealed to Good Lord Omar and is one of the great contributions to come from The Hidden Temple of The Happy Jesus.

POEE subscribes to the Law of Fives of Omar's sect. And POEE also recognizes the holy 23 (2+3=5) that is incorporated by Episkopos Dr. Mordecai Malignatus, KNS, into his Discordian sect, The Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria.

The Law of Fives states simply that: ALL THINGS HAPPEN IN FIVES, OR ARE DIVISIBLE BY OR ARE MULTIPLES OF FIVE, OR ARE SOMEHOW DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY APPROPRIATE TO 5.

The Law of Fives is never wrong.

In the Erisian Archives is an old memo from Omar to Mal-2: "I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look."

We have found a strange foot-print on the shores of the unknown. We have devised profound theories, one after another, to account for its origin. At last, we have succeeded in reconstructing the creature that made the foot-print. And Lo! It is our own.

food for thought.

dilatedcrimson
04-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Actually if you slow this song down to two minutes and 30 seconds, you can clearly hear someone in an alien voice saying "the systeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

bogsnarth
04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
and if you look hard enough you can find a 5 or a 23 related to anything too.

that's the point of my post.

"I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look."

it's not just the old cliche "you see what you want.." it's a big clue as to how our nervous systems and our minds work.

bitter_enigma
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Good stuff!
Has anyone else read the Illumnatus! Trilogy?

Required reading for the dedicated Tool philosopher...

rocco
04-28-2006, 11:03 PM
nice mondo, bogsnarth. Interesting stuff...

bogsnarth
04-29-2006, 11:54 AM
@bitter: but of course.. i just finished reading it for the 7th or 8th time a week or so before the album leaked, actually.. probably why it's been so much on my mind with some of my interpretations of songs..

@rocco: thanks.. but just for the record i didn't come up with that mondo.. i just translated it to nonsequitur-comic form ;)

CelestialRender
04-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Of course. Where do you think I heard of Emperor Norton? ; )

timstead
04-30-2006, 09:58 PM
it is true man, the moment your friend buys a black mustang you see them everywhere, really, everywhere. rule of 5 is just another mathamatical compensation for the sense of divinity. all sciences and maths compensate for discredititing a spiritual nature by presenting quagmires in place of mystery. just people who can't admit there are things they can't know.

xineax
05-02-2006, 12:44 AM
it is true man, the moment your friend buys a black mustang you see them everywhere, really, everywhere. rule of 5 is just another mathamatical compensation for the sense of divinity. all sciences and maths compensate for discredititing a spiritual nature by presenting quagmires in place of mystery. just people who can't admit there are things they can't know.

As one of those types of people...Agreed--there's more to living than reducing reality with theory.