PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the line "Shit the bed"

spiiiral
04-27-2006, 08:30 AM
something that has really been bothering me ever since this leak is the fact that people on these boards are constantly using the phrase "shit the bed" in the incorrect context for EVERYTHING

"god damn shit the bed" is a metaphor, guys

meaning "god damn i fucked up again"

please stop taking it and using it so literally.

it just sort of sounds unintelligent when you do.

not that an overwhelming amount of intellect could be suggested by the use of the words "god damn shit the bed" in either context in the first place. but you understand.

peace.

aziraphale
04-27-2006, 09:19 AM
OH, Gosh, you're sooooo intellectual, I'm getting hot!

spiiiral
04-27-2006, 09:50 AM
OH, Gosh, you're sooooo intellectual, I'm getting hot!

well

i'm a female

so i sure as hell hope youre not

Dross
04-27-2006, 10:03 AM
The context of Lost Keys and Rosetta are obviously someone that was abducted by aliens. He tells the doctors a story about when he was abducted and probed. Strapped down, eyes red.. ever wonder if you were in that situation and you shit the bed.. that's all you'd probably think about. Something that's embarassing, but not really since your onboard an alien ship and there's no one there to laugh at you. Someone telling doctors a story after coming back from an abduction would be a little crazy sounding. Spewing all this stuff and all the while thinking they "shit the bed"

Or it could be a metaphore aslo. It might be a metaphore after he "shit the bed" to now mean he's messed up. Just another mystery.

Either way these guys who joke about it need to read the rest of the lyrics.

I think it makes perfect sence.

spiiiral
04-27-2006, 10:25 AM
The context of Lost Keys and Rosetta are obviously someone that was abducted by aliens. He tells the doctors a story about when he was abducted and probed. Strapped down, eyes red.. ever wonder if you were in that situation and you shit the bed.. that's all you'd probably think about. Something that's embarassing, but not really since your onboard an alien ship and there's no one there to laugh at you. Someone telling doctors a story after coming back from an abduction would be a little crazy sounding. Spewing all this stuff and all the while thinking they "shit the bed"

Or it could be a metaphore aslo. It might be a metaphore after he "shit the bed" to now mean he's messed up. Just another mystery.

Either way these guys who joke about it need to read the rest of the lyrics.

I think it makes perfect sence.

i agree w. you, i think it makes sense also

i just get annoyed w. the out-of-context overuse of that one line

like we're in elementary school and the concept of shitting yourself is hilarious.

eh. $0.02

aziraphale
04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't understand why people are so upset by the line. I mean, it's just reverse sodomy with fecal matter, really. We should have expected this.

MentalSanityOff
04-27-2006, 01:20 PM
like we're in elementary school and the concept of shitting yourself is hilarious.

Look at many of tool's songs. They get a humorous kick out of anal fisting, anal sex, prison sex, the temperature of a chicks asshole, rectally cleansing california, hooker with a penis, pushit on me, and let us not forget maynard's dick. It's not exactly the most sophisticated humor ever

praefector
04-27-2006, 02:25 PM
it could be taken literally or figureatively

OR BOTH

you decide

acsguitar
04-27-2006, 02:29 PM
I was on mushrooms once and thought I pee'd my pants...I don't do those anymore

identity_theory
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM
It's definitely literal, but FACETIOUS.

eddie75
04-27-2006, 02:32 PM
something that has really been bothering me ever since this leak is the fact that people on these boards are constantly using the phrase "shit the bed" in the incorrect context for EVERYTHING

"god damn shit the bed" is a metaphor, guys

meaning "god damn i fucked up again"

please stop taking it and using it so literally.

it just sort of sounds unintelligent when you do.

not that an overwhelming amount of intellect could be suggested by the use of the words "god damn shit the bed" in either context in the first place. but you understand.

peace.
Exactly, in fact it really stands out in the line "....but I forgot my pen.......Shit the bed again......typical"

I have a feeling it's an inside joke about someone they know who uses that phrase.

praefector
04-27-2006, 02:33 PM
its definitely more likely that if it were only one it would be figureative rather than literal

but most likely its both.

eddie75
04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
The fact that they use it often makes it more likely that it's figurative.

rocco
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
The fact that they use it often makes it more likely that it's figurative.

Well, the whole story is figurative (literally!). As far as the story itself, you don't know anything else except for what the narrator is telling you. You either choose to believe him or not, but any inferences made are just that, and your own.

Personally, I think the guy just crapped himself. It happens.

Sucks having the knowledge of the ages but no bodily control, huh?

eddie75
04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, the whole story is figurative (literally!). As far as the story itself, you don't know anything else except for what the narrator is telling you. You either choose to believe him or not, but any inferences made are just that, and your own.

Personally, I think the guy just crapped himself. It happens.

Sucks having the knowledge of the ages but no bodily control, huh?
I really don't think it hasa anything to do with bodily control, though I could be wrong. I think it is just being used as an expression for fucking up.

bogsnarth
04-27-2006, 02:48 PM
two words:

double entendre.

Sanzen
04-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I think he's just so scared that he (yes, literally) shits the bed. I mean...They (those gosh-darn aliens) gave him THE MESSAGE, you know? And he fucking forgot it. I'd feel like a dick too. And then await our impending doom.

tooldudetool
04-27-2006, 06:01 PM
I would like to think I'm not the only one out there that knows what happens when you listen to Aenima, or Lateralus, in a dark room under the influence of a high dose of psylicybin. If you don't know what happens, try it. Shitting the bed has been a reality for me once, during such a session. Oh, how embarrasing. Well, that's reality bitches! Sometimes in the throws of spiritual ecstacy, shit happens. hehheh. I think "shit the bed" may be a literal reference, based on my experiences, and I don't think I sound "unintelligent" for saying so.

shockpoint
04-27-2006, 07:00 PM
I was on mushrooms once and thought I pee'd my pants...I don't do those anymore

I really think it is literal. If you have tripped, you understand.. You may pass gas and go off on a 3 hour tangent, climbing the pyramind of truth, taking a ride on the cloud of heaven...hard left..3 lights..... get off at candy land...to tell the king that you shit in your pants...

If the thought randomly came across your mind, it would be a reaccuring theme throughout the entire trip...You would literally have to keep checking...

spiiiral
04-28-2006, 03:56 AM
id just like to point out that my original intention behind starting this thread was NOT to dispute whether or not TOOL meant it literally or figuratively or both (though i personally think its used as a figure of speech) but to ask that people on this BOARD stop throwing the line out there on a constant basis and attempting to make it applicable to EVERY single post on here

that is all

TheResidentEvil
04-28-2006, 11:01 AM
god damn, shit the bed.

praefector
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
id just like to point out that my original intention behind starting this thread was NOT to dispute whether or not TOOL meant it literally or figuratively or both (though i personally think its used as a figure of speech) but to ask that people on this BOARD stop throwing the line out there on a constant basis and attempting to make it applicable to EVERY single post on here

that is all

making a thread isnt going to convince anyone on this board to do anything

sadly

xineax
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I still think this is funny. From the newsletter:

"And now, Dave, too, was dialing in wave-lengths. But I had to wonder whether or not if he ever managed to separate the true vibrations from the discords if someone would have to change him like a baby. "

rocco
04-28-2006, 11:51 AM
I really don't think it hasa anything to do with bodily control, though I could be wrong. I think it is just being used as an expression for fucking up.

I could be wrong too. But I like the idea of the hero being in over his head, not ready for the burden. Like as Acteon stumbled Artemis bathing, who's turned into a stag and ripped to shreds, so this guy sees "God" but can't control his own body. Not a prepared saint, but an inexperienced digger who hits the mother lode causing the mine to crush him.

Hence, both figurative and literal simultaneously. Pretty tidy metaphor, and it gets a chuckle from the kiddies...

eddie75
04-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I really think it is literal. If you have tripped, you understand.. You may pass gas and go off on a 3 hour tangent, climbing the pyramind of truth, taking a ride on the cloud of heaven...hard left..3 lights..... get off at candy land...to tell the king that you shit in your pants...

If the thought randomly came across your mind, it would be a reaccuring theme throughout the entire trip...You would literally have to keep checking...
I've tripped my fair share of times, and I've never had any issues with having to worry about shitting myself.
I could be wrong too. But I like the idea of the hero being in over his head, not ready for the burden. Like as Acteon stumbled Artemis bathing, who's turned into a stag and ripped to shreds, so this guy sees "God" but can't control his own body. Not a prepared saint, but an inexperienced digger who hits the mother lode causing the mine to crush him.

Hence, both figurative and literal simultaneously. Pretty tidy metaphor, and it gets a chuckle from the kiddies...
I also don't think it's about a hero, but more about a dumbass who took way too many drugs and hallucinated all of this. They don't exactly write about him in the best light.

rocco
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=I also don't think it's about a hero, but more about a dumbass who took way too many drugs and hallucinated all of this. They don't exactly write about him in the best light.[/QUOTE]

Hero, anti-hero...splittin' hairs. But, to be precise, I'll change it to protagonist.

Myths often refer to the dark side of universal knowledge, and the importance of the level of preparedness of the 'hero.' When the uninitiated try to solve the Sphinx's riddle, they are devoured.

So it is with our hapless friend here, who has taken drugs, experienced an inexplicable event with pivotal personal importance, but can't master the experience for personal growth. In fact, he devolves, shitting himself like a toddler. Not very 'chosen one'-like.

As for Tool's opinion of the guy, I think it's fairly sympathetic. I don't think they try to lyrically frame him as a total jackass, or even heavily ridicule this guy's vision. Visions are, after all, personal translations of universal truths - kind of like Rosetta Stones...