PDA

View Full Version : What image do use as your cover?

DeleteYourself
11-23-2002, 01:45 AM
seeing as there is several different lenticular pictures....you can essentially choose your own cover. my favorite is the eye...whats everyone else's?

noisetherapy
11-23-2002, 01:52 AM
I've got the eye right now

but I had the contortionist for a long time

substatique
11-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Call me easily influenced, but I usually use the smokebox. I've had all the others (even the non-lenticular ones) on top at some point.

Revolver_04
11-23-2002, 07:59 AM
right now, its the smokebox. but i go back and forth between the smokebox and the eye. the eye is my favorite.

povvy
11-23-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Revolver_04
the eye is my favorite.

The "revolving" eye rocks. You can even buy a t-shirt with it (not animated, though) @ http://www.happypencil.com/ (Cam de Leon's site, the person who designed it).

Patrick.

cradled
11-23-2002, 12:48 PM
I like the smokebox.

My dad mentioned something about people falling off the box, made of smoke, when he saw the cover. Creepy.

ragna16
11-23-2002, 02:26 PM
I use the smokebox because it is so mystic, and it seems to fit better than the eye or contortionist.

stattica
11-23-2002, 03:14 PM
i use the smoke box, it just seems to flow better, does anyone use the contortionist at all though?

Chuckhawk
11-23-2002, 05:07 PM
The eye, I love the iris' colors and the animation for the socket movement.

CCD
11-23-2002, 09:20 PM
from the moment I saw the cover of AEnima, I thought I looked like a representation of a tab of acid. I am always suprised when people refer to it as the smokebox.

YGOfvn
11-23-2002, 10:19 PM
Wow. I don't even use jewel cases for any of my CDs. Thats so weird to see that everyone actually caries around the jewel case when they want to go and listen to any CD... I'm usually on the bus or in a car when I listen to music, so I just Use a multi-case thing. I usually take liners from CDs and hang them up in my room. If I did have to choose my favorite though, I would definately choose the eye.

Artemis
11-24-2002, 01:22 AM
i think both are tremendous. by the way, doues anyone do this? ie i am on my 3rd copy of aenima. through poor care and overuse i have i rendered the first 2 unuseable. i must have a near perfect clean cd copy of each album with no skips/scratches. or it just doesn't sound as good. and i always i want to upgrade my stereo to make it sound even better...am i alone here?

Zulehan
11-24-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Artemis
i think both are tremendous. by the way, doues anyone do this? ie i am on my 3rd copy of aenima. through poor care and overuse i have i rendered the first 2 unuseable. i must have a near perfect clean cd copy of each album with no skips/scratches. or it just doesn't sound as good. and i always i want to upgrade my stereo to make it sound even better...am i alone here?

Yes, I've also had to buy multiple copies of CDs, as the old ones get scratched and unusable. This is mainly due to my brother's inability to take care of his CDs, even those most valuable to him (you guessed it, Tool). I take care of my CDs, but he does not take care of my CDs, which means we've both had to buy new ones.

As for the cover, I use the "smokebox" if I'm ever using a cover to the CD. I've also used it as my avatar on forums or as my buddy icon in the past.

ragna16
11-24-2002, 11:04 AM
I just can't bring myself to use burned copies and keep the originals spanking new, and I probably never will. I take good care of my cd's though so I guess it doesn't matter.

Voldemort
11-24-2002, 11:13 AM
Im on my second Aenima and im about to replace my Lateralus (I also want a copy without the spelling mistake-Lateralis-on the back) and I always use the Smokebox or Contorsionist...the eyes just a bit plain...

dissociation
11-24-2002, 05:55 PM
definately the contortionist with the band. it's just so random that it fits as a cover perfectly.

Sauron
11-24-2002, 07:30 PM
I use the contortionist. It remainds me of the old times when I was a total n00b Tool fan and didnt know who each guy was and I beleaved:
Adam was the singer
Maynard the drummer
Danny the guitar player
and well, Justin, I was right.

I dont mean I confused their names, after all it said what each of the guys did on the band, I just thougt, looking at the contortionis lenticual that the guys wherent who they actually are.. hehehe..

sidez
11-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Likewise, when I saw the liner images of the band on Undertow's inner sleeve it occured to me at first that perhaps Adam was the lead singer. Then I saw Paul and thought he was. Then I looked farther and saw Maynard's distorted images and knew he had to be for whatever reason.

On topic, I always use the 'smokebox' and occasionally slide in the other images just to see them in action.

myNick
11-25-2002, 10:50 AM
I like the eye... but... Anyone saw the animated map?

Christopher
11-25-2002, 05:37 PM
smoke box seems like magical

soul_excursion
11-26-2002, 08:13 AM
i like using the eye as well, but sometimes i like to turn it 90 degrees so it doesn't animate just for a change of pace

blankman420
11-26-2002, 12:59 PM
You gotta have the eyes as the cover

Vincent
11-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Actually, i'm using the "Another Dead Hero" scene, with Bill Hicks. You see, someone I know looks just like the man, and it makes me laugh whenever I see the cover....so....yeah.

stattica
11-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by myNick
I like the eye... but... Anyone saw the animated map?
yeah, i have seen the map.....its good

Comebackrunning
11-29-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sauron
I use the contortionist. It remainds me of the old times when I was a total n00b Tool fan and didnt know who each guy was and I beleaved:
Adam was the singer
Maynard the drummer
Danny the guitar player
and well, Justin, I was right.

I dont mean I confused their names, after all it said what each of the guys did on the band, I just thougt, looking at the contortionis lenticual that the guys wherent who they actually are.. hehehe..

I used to think Danny was the guitar player, mainly because on my first tool guitar tab, it said DANNY CAREY IS GOD on it. I also used to get theyre faces mixed up, maily with danny and justin.

hateandvaseline
11-30-2002, 11:30 AM
When I was 10 (I'm 13 now) I thought that-
Adam was vocals
Maynard was bassist
Danny was drummer
and Justin was guitarist

stattica
11-30-2002, 03:13 PM
you dont see alot of ten year old tool fans, its good to see that all the younger rock fans arent all going towards crap like limp bizkit or linkin park

LoKi
12-01-2002, 12:21 AM
I use the "smokebox" but sometimes i flip it over to the eye just for something new.

also, when i first saw the undertow booklet [when i only just got into tool], i thought Paul was the drummer, Danny was guitar, Adam on bass and Maynard on vocals...

eon_blue
12-01-2002, 11:23 AM
i usually use the eye. I think its the best picture, due to color, movement etc... but also i like it as the cover since the back is also the eye, so i think it kind of completes the casing..... just how i think

interpretation
12-01-2002, 01:20 PM
I've gone through each and every CD by TOOL at least once, and right now I'm in the process of replacing all of them...

they get put to use and it's no waste of money, that's for sure

hateandvaseline
12-01-2002, 01:54 PM
I usually use the smokebox or the eye. The contortionist scene is a little bit too corny...lol

Geminikon
12-01-2002, 04:07 PM
how come the uk only get the still picture of the smokebox (if i'm right) and america gets all those different cool pictures? And we only get half of the Bill Hicks picture too. If it's just to make it cheaper then i'm a bit pissed off. However if it's because i've bought the crappy version when i could have got the better one then it's my fault and i'm sorry.

hateandvaseline
12-02-2002, 06:08 PM
If it's your fault, and you're sorry, why are you bitching and complaining to us?

Naokly
12-02-2002, 11:15 PM
When I first got into Tool when I my friend got Ænima for his birthday I had no idea who anybody in Tool was until I discorvered this place.

el vato malo
12-03-2002, 02:17 PM
i prefer the Smokebox to the rest of the lenticular images. Probably because it is what i originally associated this album with.

i have also seen the map with the "disappearing" west coast. i found a screen saver that uses this map image as a sign off when i shut down. pretty cool.

IC
12-04-2002, 08:23 AM
I use the Smoke box, but I also like the purple-blue man

stattica
12-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by el vato malo

i have also seen the map with the "disappearing" west coast. i found a screen saver that uses this map image as a sign off when i shut down. pretty cool.
where did you find it, i would like to have something like that....

el vato malo
12-06-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by stattica

i was digging around about a year ago and found it at someplace like www.themesworld.com, or screensandthemes.com.

They ahve a search engine that you can use to help you narrow it down.

you have to be careful, 'cuz some of the stuff out there really sux and you don;t want to have to remove all of that crap off your C drive.

you can get some pretty cool desktop icons, sounds and cursors, though.

good luck.

keve
12-06-2002, 09:48 AM
Actually, there are a couple that aren't animated that look cool if you let the case distort them anyway. I prefer the Blue Man. I even have put the flap w/ text on the front

Iris
12-06-2002, 02:06 PM
I never thought about switching the cover to the contortionist side until just this year. I had a friend borrow the CD and when I got it back she had it as the cover. I think it's so awesome how it moves 'n' all...

~Iris

sorceface
12-09-2002, 07:27 AM
For a little while i used the eye, i reckon it's probably the best looking image in there, but i find its easier just to use the smokebox.
I noticed that my booket kinda went out of shape and bent when i used the other sides.

ColdUglyMe
12-10-2002, 08:26 AM
I dont think ive taken time from listening and making music to decide which would fit the decore of my personality yet. I think the first time i opened the case i played around with the images, then put that little booklet with my other album inserts.

neo_taboolie
12-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Seeing as everyone is giving some sort of opinion I'll give my simplistic one...
I like the smokebox/tab of acid because it looks cool and also comes on the non-animated version. My dad originally ordered Ænima from the US (what a legend) and then after that started to get a bit overused I had to settle for the local version.
Apart from my smokebox obsession I have also tried the text (the ritual magik one) and enjoyed staring at Bill Hicks a couple of times.
I'll need to check out the screensaver thingy, and apart from that I haven't contributed much.

neo_taboolie
12-10-2002, 10:06 PM

Have you (or anyone else) had any luck narrowing down the search?
I'd really like to use that...

EvilBlueBlocker
12-28-2002, 11:44 PM
I would have to say that the eye is the one i would use if i used the case. It is just sooo awesome.

SonOfWillieTheP
12-29-2002, 06:41 PM
I'm familiar with both versions. I also like the one with the fake back catalogue. Good for laughs.

CajolingWhisper
12-30-2002, 12:13 PM
I use the Contortionist as my cover, its amusing to watch the reactions people give to it, or what they think it is when its lying around.

nwimnthng0
01-12-2003, 12:12 PM
the eye of course. I just find it amazing and find myself spacing out while staring at it moving it back and forth. It is also my wallpaper. \m/ with a bunch of the other Aenima artwork combined, but the eye is the main image.

DeadKennedys
02-02-2003, 03:29 PM
yeah, i have seen the map.....its good
are you talking about how it looks like california falls into the ocean it is really god damn neat loo k at it sometime

Ghetto Boy
02-13-2003, 06:37 PM
I use the contortionist... 8)

Soaky
02-28-2003, 08:39 PM
I am a fan of the smoke box because of it's tantalizing/creepy effect on my mind. However I find myself usually using the contortionist/band movement picture. I actually left it out one time and a friend of mine whom had never seen the picture/animation before was pretty perplexed by it to say the least

Peeete
03-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Okay, you guys should be grateful that you can actually CHOOSE between covers...
I live in Australia and pretty much all we've got to choose from is the smokebox, and, well, Bill Hicks.
My version is just the plain static smokebox on the front, NOTHING (not even a track listing) on the back, and on the inside the's bill hicks, the track listing and credits, and the bogus albums...GODDAMN IT!!!

IC
04-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Yea, well I use do use the smoke box,
but I normally use the purple dude

it looks spiffy

Edman
04-27-2003, 12:45 AM
It's smokebox and eye for me.

Manback
05-10-2003, 01:23 AM
I use the somkebox(tab of acid) 'cos i don't have the eye nor the band... i got my Aenima in Europe...damn it, why on my continent they try to lower the costs or just release the worse (i don't think anyone would consider it better) version?

myownidentity
06-01-2003, 12:55 AM
When I bought this Aenima CD, with the holographic thing and all my other friends just had the normal one. I opened it up and to my surprise i see some guy sucking his dick and the CD had the guy sucking his dick, and to see one of the band members to walk over and pick up a cum tissue or something, is a slight turn off. This one isn't my front cover. I like the eye. Personally i don't see how some guy sucking his cock would reflect on the music, but it does offend those rap, pop lovers (he he)

Soaky
06-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by myownidentity
When I bought this Aenima CD, with the holographic thing and all my other friends just had the normal one. I opened it up and to my surprise i see some guy sucking his dick and the CD had the guy sucking his dick, and to see one of the band members to walk over and pick up a cum tissue or something, is a slight turn off. This one isn't my front cover. I like the eye. Personally i don't see how some guy sucking his cock would reflect on the music, but it does offend those rap, pop lovers (he he)

it's not a guy. read the credits- model: alana cain

ManInBlack
06-12-2003, 12:00 PM
I've always liked the blue guy.

Eclipse you
06-15-2003, 06:38 PM
He looks a bit Purple to me.
Back on subject: I use the Purple guy.

Peeete
12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
All good...i found the US version pretty cheap, and i either use the smokebox or the eye - as the static pics look kinda fucked in the special case, and i can't figure out what is happening in the contortionist scene - throwing flowers maybe?

3rd.eye.cov
12-21-2003, 01:47 AM
for me it's the smokebox. i like that it doesnt seem to loop like all the others. it's nice and subtle. the big eye is a good one too, although the first time i bent the crease in the booklet the opposite way, i felt a strong pain shoot through my body.

.::robin::.

crazypsycho6666
03-25-2004, 03:14 PM
first tool cd i got and i fell in love with the angels. (took me a while to find out the tracklisting) IdIoT

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-01-2004, 07:09 PM
I have the naked couch :)

Dubya
07-29-2004, 08:13 PM
I use the contortionist just because I think its funny how Maynard tosses him a flower. I never realized it was the band until I came here.

imaduh
08-05-2004, 09:24 AM
I use the contortionist in front of the whole band, because, symbolically, it represents any listener of music. You know, one who self gratifies while using others' creativity as a tool, realizing self-importance (impotence?) in the audience of those who realize the same, hence the flower thrown as recognition of self-sucking on the ego.
Ha! Tool are my brothers of creation, as is everyone else who isn't dust.
I should get free admission into toolarmy, god-demm-nabbit.

Raider
11-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I've used the smokebox since I got this album, but now I've switched to the Eye.