PDA

View Full Version : 02 - Jambi lyrics

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

GoLoBuLouS
06-15-2006, 07:09 AM
actually its:

"...songs..."

Ok, maybe it's not plural...

but the point here is that I've heard "sheltered the devil with my songs"... am I the only one?

dvnt
06-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Every time I listen to it, I definitely hear:

Damn my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes if they should compromise...

There's no way all three are either "dim" or "damn." Sounds like he switches, to me.

Terry21
06-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Um, yes, 'found' there does make sense.

"In love with the dark side I'd found."

He found the dark side and fell in love with it, why doesn't that make sense?

Didn't think of that.

telder
06-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, thanks for the concession, but I don't see what's so "cryptic." As you say, "the Indonesian reference . . . is most blatant." So even though the word was not one with which we were familiar, it is one with a clear, concise connotation- thus not cryptic at all.

I disagree. The song/title is cryptic. Just because you think you know what it means, does not mean that you are correct.

telder
06-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Well, thanks for the concession, but I don't see what's so "cryptic." As you say, "the Indonesian reference . . . is most blatant." So even though the word was not one with which we were familiar, it is one with a clear, concise connotation- thus not cryptic at all.

Just continue to take it at face value. That's what you seem to be doing. I'll say it again...the Indonesian Province reference is the most blatant. If I fully believed that, I wouldn't be searching through these threads for insight.

swampyfool
06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I disagree. The song/title is cryptic. Just because you think you know what it means, does not mean that you are correct.

I never said that I was infallibly correct. Still, the title is not cryptic. Before this turns into a syntax debate, I will leave this particular argument by again quoting the inimitable Inigo Montoya . . . "That word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

SilverTonguedDevil
06-15-2006, 09:44 AM
From what I have heard (and of course this might not be true) Maynard finally reached the goal he had of becoming a wealthy and famous artist. He had an addiction to something like drugs or alcohol and his child was catalyst for getting himself back together. So the Jambi thing could quite possibly be a character on a show that his child liked.
I am new to this forum. I should have signed up a long time ago, I like it. I am sure most of you know this but there is a book that I think they used to get alot of song ideas for past albums called "Nothing is this book is true, but it's exactly how things are" I read it a few years back and it puts alot of parts of the music into perspective.

telder
06-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I never said that I was infallibly correct. Still, the title is not cryptic. Before this turns into a syntax debate, I will leave this particular argument by again quoting the inimitable Inigo Montoya . . . "That word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

Whatever. How about the Christopher Guest sighting in that movie?

swampyfool
06-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Whatever. How about the Christopher Guest sighting in that movie?
Ah, Count Rugen, the six-fingered man . . .

"My name . . . is Inigo Montoya . . . You killed my father . . . Prepare to DIE!"

BlanketEffect
06-15-2006, 08:41 PM
so you all think it is Damn My Eyes, not Jam-bi ?

Well, the term/word Jambi means 'wish' in some language that I don't care to reference right now because I'm too lazy too look it up again, but I assure you that I did once before.

That stated, he doesn't have to be saying "Jambi eyes" to incorporate the title of the song into the song itself. The song is a wish. Jambi means wish. So to say 'Jambi eyes' would mean 'wish eyes' - and that makes no damn sense.

It's either dim or damn. Either makes sense and it sounds as though it could be either, so until Mr. Keenan graces us with the real lyrics, it doesn't matter. They both fit and are both equally likely. It's one of those ones that we may as well just let go untilt he official release. Sing whichever one you hear.

It's *not* 'Jambi eyes,' however.

Florida_Mike
06-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Well, if jambi does mean "wish" in some language, then theoretically he could be saying "jambi-ize" as that would be the process of wishing something.

Apparently everyone would rather argue about that then perhaps take a look at the post above that sheds some light onto a piece of the lyrics that hasn't been completely decided upon yet. Clearly, continuing the argument over jambi/damn/dim is much more productive.

:shrug:

telder
06-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Ah, Count Rugen, the six-fingered man . . .

"My name . . . is Inigo Montoya . . . You killed my father . . . Prepare to DIE!"

"Mawwage. Mawwage is what bwings us togever...When wove twue wove..." Can I interest anybody in a mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich?

BlanketEffect
06-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Only if the mutton is nice and lean.

Terry21
06-16-2006, 07:22 AM
What?

BlanketEffect
06-16-2006, 07:50 AM
One of the greatest movies of all time.

swampyfool
06-16-2006, 08:51 AM
What?
You don't know?

"INCONCEIVABLE!"

Terry21
06-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Ah, sorry, I thought we were in the Jambi lyric thread, not in the "post movie quotes without mentioning the title or saying why you post them" thread.

swampyfool
06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Ah, sorry, I thought we were in the Jambi lyric thread, not in the "post movie quotes without mentioning the title or saying why you post them" thread.
Woah. I'm not ripping you, it's from "The Princess Bride," and the "INCONCEIVABLE" bit was a line from the movie, too. Sorry for all the unrelated posts, but the first reference was explained. Anywho, you should watch The Princess Bride (or read it), but keep in mind that you would enjoy it much more had you seen it at a younger age.

Terry21
06-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Woah. I'm not ripping you, it's from "The Princess Bride," and the "INCONCEIVABLE" bit was a line from the movie, too. Sorry for all the unrelated posts, but the first reference was explained. Anywho, you should watch The Princess Bride (or read it), but keep in mind that you would enjoy it much more had you seen it at a younger age.

Well I'm 15. Young enough?

swampyfool
06-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Well I'm 15. Young enough?
Mayhap. I'd say you're treading the fine line. Most people that I know that love the movie sawit when they were like nine or ten. Most people that I know that don't think it's so great saw it when they were like eighteen or nineteen. Just bare in mind that the movie presentation is geared toward a more wide-eyed audience. The book, however, is great for all . . .

zsw
06-16-2006, 03:47 PM
OK. Your turn.

Have you looked up Jambi?
Try this one. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambi)
Or this one (click the audio link). (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jambi)
Your point about Maynard using words with duplicitous pronunciations and meanings is 100% valid, but I don't think it applies here. There is no other meaning for Jambi, and given that the lyrics of the song coincide with the actual history of provincial Jambi, there is no basis for a cooky mispronunciation.

You shouldn't feel badly because it's obvious; you should feel badly because it's flat-out incorrect.

Peace.

I guess I'm not making assumptions which "Jambi" Maynard refers to. Perhaps it's not quite as obvious as you take it?

MyrrorMynd
06-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I have no idea how anyone can hear the "oyz" sound as "resh", nor do I believe Maynard would write something as nonsensical as telling someone to be silent, then tell them to save their silence.

It's what is in my sig, how people are hearing anything other than that is beyond me.

What I hear:
"Silent legion, save your precious silence.
You just stay out of my way."

He is addressing the group first, not telling them to be silent. He's calling them a silent legion, and then saying save your precious silence.

But who knows? This is just eating me away inside, not having the exact lyrics spoonfed to me right away. I can't sleep....can't breathe....

swampyfool
06-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I guess I'm not making assumptions which "Jambi" Maynard refers to. Perhaps it's not quite as obvious as you take it?
There is no "Which," in question here. Jambi is a word with one meaning. That meaning is referenced in and thus confirmed by the lyrics. And I never said it was obvious (Can anyone on this forum actually claim to have known that Jambi was an Indonesian province before it was a Tool song? Don't answer- I'm sure that some of you did- the vast majority of us didn't.). However; given that there has been a whole crap load of research going on into this for over two months now; and that nobody can find any justification for the "Jam-bye" pronunciation that doesn't rely solely upon speculation while simultaneously ignoring the Indonesian subplot; and that the lyrics make numerous references to the history of provincial Jambi; there just isn't a leg upon which your argument can stand. The name of the song is pronounced "Johm-bee," and Maynard never says it in the song- and I will champion that point tirelessly until somebody produces a substantive (not speculative) argument against it.

Terry21
06-17-2006, 02:06 PM
So what is your opinion on the lyrical meaning of the song, the theme? What has it got to do with Indonesia?

Lateralias
06-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Anyone who thinks Maynard says "Damn my eyes" twice needs to listen to the song with a program that can slow it down and you will notice there is a "jam my/jambi" eyes the second time. Personally I think it's "jam my" because you can't really hear a b sound in there.

swampyfool
06-17-2006, 03:45 PM
So what is your opinion on the lyrical meaning of the song, the theme? What has it got to do with Indonesia?
I'm feeling too lazy to do the cut and paste work needed to pull posts from the Jambi sub-forum; or to retype everything that I've typed. Maybe later. For now, I suggest that you look through the umpteen threads concerning the "Damn/Dim/Jam my eyes" lines (most of them locked). There you will find a multiplicitous selection of references (some more involved and farther beneath the surface than others) to the geography, politics, and the eventual and untimely end of the independence of Jambi.

dambuster
06-18-2006, 02:51 AM
In Jambi, at 6:16/6:17, the lyrics listed (by current consensus) are:

[Divide and wither away
/ Divided, withering away
/ Divide, I'm withering away
/ Divide, I wither away]

Does anyone else think that this sounds more like "Divine hedonism, in a way"?

swampyfool
06-18-2006, 08:48 AM

[Divide and wither away
/ Divide, I wither away]

Hi! No!

Spear
06-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Hola.
I know i already posted on this but Myrror Mynd agreed with me so I am just going to drive it home.

After listening to this song for the 100000000th time with headphones, volume max...I am more than 100% confident that the end of the song is saying

" Silent Legion, save your precious silence.
Legion, stay out of my way!"

There you have it. TRUST ME! ....the end to all the hoopla...that is the end lyric
thanx and enjoy
Q

Gnome_Chomsky
06-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Im sorry if this has been said, but theres 14 pages here. Could it be Heaven the kings mountain view, Heaven a wild dream come true? Thats what its always sounded like to me.

RedMetalSox
06-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Im sorry if this has been said, but theres 14 pages here. Could it be Heaven the kings mountain view, Heaven a wild dream come true? Thats what its always sounded like to me.
This has nothing to do with what DJR just posted, which isnt correct at all...last line
"Silently Just Stay Out Of My Way" its fucking clear as water.

Spear
06-18-2006, 10:04 PM
This has nothing to do with what DJR just posted, which isnt correct at all...last line
"Silently Just Stay Out Of My Way" its fucking clear as water.

You obviously arent listening to it with headphones. Do you not take note of any of the breaks in his speech. I thought it was "silently just stay out of my way" forever until i really wanted to figure it out and I cranked the volume and listened over and over again. I know you feel passionately about it.....and I do too.

It is....
LAST LINE

Silent Legion, save your precious silence!
Legion, stay out of my way!

BlanketEffect
06-18-2006, 11:15 PM
I've listened to it carefully with headphones and tweaked EQ for optimal review. I clearly hear

"Silence leech and save your poison
Silently just stay out of my way"

Of course Maynard uses such strange enunciation sometimes it's hard to say if even what you're hearing is what he was supposedly saying. Therefore it doesn't matter how sure you are, you may still be hearing it as wrongly as I may be.

Terry21
06-19-2006, 12:33 AM
I've listened to it carefully with headphones and tweaked EQ for optimal review. I clearly hear

"Silence leech and save your poison

Of course Maynard uses such strange enunciation sometimes it's hard to say if even what you're hearing is what he was supposedly saying. Therefore it doesn't matter how sure you are, you may still be hearing it as wrongly as I may be.

Sorry that I'm screaming but... HOW THE FUCK DID YOU CAME TO THE IDEA THAT HE FUCKING SINGS SOMETHING DIFFERENT? IF HE SINGS FUCKING LEECH IN THE FIRST TIME HE DOESN'T SONG "LY JUST" IN THE SECOND TIME.

God dammit, stuff like this makes me so angry.

CaseLogic
06-19-2006, 08:36 AM
I still think it's "say your praise" because I don't hear poison at all (or the 'v' in save).

Inner_Eulogy
06-19-2006, 09:22 AM

[Divide and wither away
/ Divide, I wither away]

<smacks Dambuster in the face>

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT 6/19/06: The new band Tool with their new record titled 10,000 Days has been recently cited as recommending that fucking morons and the hearing impaired not bother listening to this album.

IT IS "DIVIDED I'M WITHERIN' AWAY....DIVIDED, I WITHER AWAY"

Buy some Q-Tips at your local grocery store

BlanketEffect
06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Sorry that I'm screaming but... HOW THE FUCK DID YOU CAME TO THE IDEA THAT HE FUCKING SINGS SOMETHING DIFFERENT? IF HE SINGS FUCKING LEECH IN THE FIRST TIME HE DOESN'T SONG "LY JUST" IN THE SECOND TIME.

God dammit, stuff like this makes me so angry.

Because after many listens I hear the 'eech' sound the first time but the second line I I hear an 'eej' sound. Hence, 'Silently just'. If you don't hear it then so the fuck what? I might be wrong, you might be wrong; the lyrics will be released soon so there's no reason to get your blood pressure up about it.

Terry21
06-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Because after many listens I hear the 'eech' sound the first time but the second line I I hear an 'eej' sound. Hence, 'Silently just'. If you don't hear it then so the fuck what? I might be wrong, you might be wrong; the lyrics will be released soon so there's no reason to get your blood pressure up about it.

Okay, could be; but stuff like "Dim my eyes / Jam my eyes / Damn my eyes" pisses me off. Let me tell you why. There are three possible versions for this lyric. So people just put that lyric where it sounds most like it. That's just stupid, everybody knows he sings three times the same. I don't really care if Buddha concurs.

swampyfool
06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Okay, could be; but stuff like "Dim my eyes / Jam my eyes / Damn my eyes" pisses me off. Let me tell you why. There are three possible versions for this lyric. So people just put that lyric where it sounds most like it. That's just stupid, everybody knows he sings three times the same. I don't really care if Buddha concurs.
Everybody knows he sings it three times the same? Hmmmmmm . . .

Intolerance:
"VEIL of virtue hung to HIDE your METHOD
as I smile and dance and laugh and sing your PRAISE AND GLORY.
SHROUD of virtue hung to MASK your STIGMA
as I smile and laugh and dance and sing your GLORY WHILE YOU. . .
Our GUILT, our BLAME,
I've been far too sympathetic.
Our BLOOD, our FAULT.
I AM NOT innocent.
I AM NOT innocent.
YOU ARE NOT innocent.
NOONE IS innocent . . ."

Prison Sex:
" . . . got MY hands bound,
MY head down, MY eyes closed,
AND MY THROAT WIDE OPEN . . .
Do unto OTHERS what has been done to YOU . . .
Do unto YOU NOW now what has been done to ME . . .
Got YOUR hands bound, YOUR head down,
YOUR eyes closed.
YOU LOOK SO PRESCIOUS, NOW . . ."

Sober:
"Why can't we not be sober?
I just want to start THIS over.
Why can't we DRINK forever.
I just want to start this over . . .
Why can't we not be sober?
Why can't we SLEEP forever.
I just want to start THINGS over.
I just want to start this over . . . "

Crawl Away:
"You CRAWLED away from me.
SLIPPED away from me.
I tried to keep AHOLD,
BUT there was nothing I could say.
You SLID away from me.
CREPT away from me.
I tried to keep YOU DOWN,
AND there was nothing I could say.
So what you're trying to say
is you don't wanna play.
But what you want and what you need
DON'T MEAN THAT MUCH to me . . .
is you don't wanna play.
DOESN'T MEAN FUCK to me . . ."

Swamp Song:
"Why don't you watch where you're WANDERING?
Why don't you watch where you're STUMBLING?
You're wading knee deep and going in.
YOU'RE WADING KNEE DEEP AND GOING IN.
This bog is thick and easy to get lost in
when you're a STUPID, beligerant fucker.
when you're a DUMBASS, beligerant fucker.
AND YOU MAY NEVER COME BACK AGAIN . . ."

Undertow*:
"TWO times in.
I've been STRUCK DUMB by A VOICE THAT
SPEAKS from deep beneath the ENDLESS water.
It's TWICE as CLEAR as heaven,
and TWICE as LOUD as reason.
It's DEEP AND RICH like silt on a riverbed
AND JUST AS UNDISTURBING . . .
THREE times in.
I've been BAPTIZED by YOUR VOICE;
IT SCREAMS from deep beneath the COLD, BLACK water.
It's HALF as HIGH as heaven
and HALF as CLEAR as reason.
it's COLD AND BLACK like silt on the riverbed[/b]
? . . . "

4 degrees:
"You won't DO what you'd like to DO.
Lay back and let me show you another way . . .
You won't FEEL what you'd like to FEEL.
Lay back and let me show you another way . . . "

Has your assertion been satisfactorily defunct, or should I tackle another album?

*- I have never been able to reconcile the lyrics that Maynard has submitted as "a blueprint" for the performance of Undertow (the song) with the album version, so I have taking the liberty of altering a few of the lines. If my alterations are different than the alterations that you have inferred (and I'm sure you have, if you've tried to make this reconcilliation), then I apologize, but the main thrust of my point still stands. I'm not saying that Maynard's blueprints arre incorrect (they were submitted two years past the release of the album, and he is free to rearrange his delivery), just that there are some differences on the album version.

Inner_Eulogy
06-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Everybody knows he sings it three times the same? Hmmmmmm . . .

Intolerance:
"VEIL of virtue hung to HIDE your METHOD
as I smile and dance and laugh and sing your PRAISE AND GLORY.
SHROUD of virtue hung to MASK your STIGMA
as I smile and laugh and dance and sing your GLORY WHILE YOU. . .
Our GUILT, our BLAME,
Our BLOOD, our FAULT.
I AM NOT innocent.
I AM NOT innocent.
YOU ARE NOT innocent.
NOONE IS innocent . . ."

Prison Sex:
" . . . got MY hands bound,
MY head down, MY eyes closed,
AND MY THROAT WIDE OPEN . . .
Do unto OTHERS what has been done to YOU . . .
Do unto YOU NOW now what has been done to ME . . .
Got YOUR hands bound, YOUR head down,
YOUR eyes closed.
YOU LOOK SO PRESCIOUS, NOW . . ."

Sober:
"Why can't we not be sober?
Why can't we DRINK forever.
I just want to start THINGS over.
I just want to start this over . . . "

Crawl Away:
"You CRAWLED away from me.
SLIPPED away from me.
I tried to keep AHOLD,
BUT there was nothing I could say.
You SLID away from me.
CREPT away from me.
I tried to keep YOU DOWN,
AND there was nothing I could say.
is you don't wanna play.
DON'T MEAN THAT MUCH to me . . .
is you don't wanna play.
DOESN'T MEAN FUCK to me . . ."

Swamp Song:
"Why don't you watch where you're WANDERING?
Why don't you watch where you're STUMBLING?
YOU'RE WADING KNEE DEEP AND GOING IN.
when you're a STUPID, beligerant fucker.
when you're a DUMBASS, beligerant fucker.
AND YOU MAY NEVER COME BACK AGAIN . . ."

Undertow*:
"TWO times in.
I've been STRUCK DUMB by A VOICE THAT
SPEAKS from deep beneath the ENDLESS water.
It's TWICE as CLEAR as heaven,
and TWICE as LOUD as reason.
It's DEEP AND RICH like silt on a riverbed
AND JUST AS UNDISTURBING . . .
THREE times in.
I've been BAPTIZED by YOUR VOICE;
IT SCREAMS from deep beneath the COLD, BLACK water.
It's HALF as HIGH as heaven
and HALF as CLEAR as reason.
it's COLD AND BLACK like silt on the riverbed[/b]
? . . . "

4 degrees:
"You won't DO what you'd like to DO.
Lay back and let me show you another way . . .
You won't FEEL what you'd like to FEEL.
Lay back and let me show you another way . . . "

Has your assertion been satisfactorily defunct, or should I tackle another album?

*- I have never been able to reconcile the lyrics that Maynard has submitted as "a blueprint" for the performance of Undertow (the song) with the album version, so I have taking the liberty of altering a few of the lines. If my alterations are different than the alterations that you have inferred (and I'm sure you have, if you've tried to make this reconcilliation), then I apologize, but the main thrust of my point still stands. I'm not saying that Maynard's blueprints arre incorrect (they were submitted two years past the release of the album, and he is free to rearrange his delivery), just that there are some differences on the album version.

lol, after all that wasted typing...I see no revelence whatsoever to the actual topic. Please do not bother to respond with the answer to that, I already know th answer. It's not that I argue your previous posts but, this one was completely lame.

Inner_Eulogy
06-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Here’s my take. And it’s long, but there are a couple things I haven’t seen anyone else say.

Although I feel like I might hear a “p” or “f” sound at the beginning of the word, it makes a lot more sense if it’s “prayed like a MARTYR does till dawn.” It could be “dusk” as well, but that just makes literally no sense. I’m also as certain as I could possibly be that it’s “tempted the devil,” not “shout to,” because I can very clearly hear a “t” at the beginning, and a short “e” sound, and an “m.” Further, although there are only a few people (as far as I can tell) that disagree, every first word in this part (prayed, begged, tempted, got) are all definitely in the past tense, not present.
I’ve heard “no pressure could hold sway,” but I can very much hear a long “i” sound, indicating, to me, either “prize” or “price.” I hear it as “prize/price THAT could hold sway,” although that “that” is up for grabs.

It is definitely not “my sentence” later on. I always heard it as “center,” although the “t” is very light if there at all. It could be “sinner” or something related to that root, but there is really no “s” sound at the end of that word. I can hear the slight break between that word and the “So” of the next line.

Okay. Now the incomprehensibly controversial one. I do NOT hear “jambi” or anything like that. I really hear “damn my eyes” the first time. The second time, I might be able to hear that “j” sound at the beginning, but as hard as I try, there is absolutely no “b” sound after that “j” sound. I wanted to believe it when I originally read that lyric after numerous listens, but it’s just not there. Plus, why would he be pronouncing it like that if no one's ever heard of anything that spelling refers to that is pronounced like that? It could be "jam my eyes," although that's kinda odd wording. The third one might be “dim my eyes,” although it may just be Maynard slightly differently pronouncing the “damn,” which is definitely plausible.

Here is what I hear on the next part: “if they should compromise our fulcrum / what you need to find me / then I might as well be gone.” I know that’s not all right, ‘cause it doesn’t really make sense. I’m fairly certain it’s “fulcrum,” although I don’t know about the “our” at all. And here’s the thing about the “wanton need” or “want and need” or “watching....” that no one has pointed out yet: you can VERY clearly hear a “ch” sound in the middle of the first two syllables, and I personally hear an “uh” sound, as in “what,” rather than an “ah,” as in watching, although I’m not 100% sure on that one. But I am certain that it is NOT “want and need” or “wanton need.” On the “to find me” portion, I definitely hear a long “u” sound (without the consonant-”y” sound at the beginning) in the first syllable of that part. If it were “divide me,” there would have to be either a short or long “i” sound, depending on pronunciation, but it’s not.

I’m pretty sure it’s “divided I’m witherin’ away” twice. If it were “divided I wither away” the second time, as some have suggested, then where does that extra syllable come from after “wither”?

It’s “breathe in union,” not “pray.” I’ve listened as loud as I can, as clearly as I can, using headphones, speakers, car speakers (mine are good), anything, and it is clear as day to me that there is a long “e” sound in the first syllable. At least the first four times. The last time and the last time only, I understand how people could hear “pray,” because the music gets a lot louder and it’s harder to hear Maynard, but I think he simply pronounces it slightly differently, as happens to everyone when they speak/sing.

Swear to God, this is the last one. I distinctly hear an “s” sound, as in “silence.” And although, when I read paraflux’s interpretation and saw “legion,” I REALLY wanted to believe it, I just can’t freakin’ hear it. It’s clearly a “ch” sound in the middle of those two syllables, not a “j” sound. Which means I think it’s “leech.” So I think it’s “silence, leech, and say your poison.” For the life of me, I can’t hear a “v” sound, so it can’t be “save.” And the most obvious “unknown” for me in this song is “poison.” There is definitely an “oi/oy” sound. It sounds absolutely NOTHING like “preaching” to me.

That’s all. Finally.

I would just have to disagree with the lyrics "silence leech and say your poison" that's a complete oxy-fuckin-moron. If anything I would agree with "Silence leech and save your poison...silence leech and stay out of my way" I mean, that just simply makes the most sense in retrospect to the song. If of course you reference the leech as people with a bad influence or his own bad tendencies/habits. I think Jambi is a mix between the idea of the indonesian country being split in two by the sultan warlord who allowed greed to fill himself and Maynard also battling within and trying to separate his personal greed and the selfless person he wants to be for his son. Similar to the song H.

emmsna
06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
This is what I hear for this song:

02 jambi
Here from the king's mountain view
Here from the wild dream come true

Prayed like a father dusk to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Chant to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along

No price here could hold sway
Or justify my kneeling away, my center

You're my piece of mind, my all, my center
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

Dim my eyes!
Dim my eyes!
Dim my eyes if they should compromise a fool who wants and needs
If I'm leaving - I might as well be gone...

Divide and I'll wither away

Breathe in union (last one or two are Pray)

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silence legions save your poison
Silence legions stay out of my way

wittig
06-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Every time I listen to it, I definitely hear:

Damn my eyes
Jambi eyes
Dim my eyes if they should compromise...

There's no way all three are either "dim" or "damn." Sounds like he switches, to me.

I definately hear a change too.

The first one certainly sounds like "Damn" the last I think says "Dim" the middle one I think says "Jambi" , but I'm not sure if it only sounds like that because it's what I'm expecting to hear.

Terry21
06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Now I'm persuaded Successfully. I actually thinks now he sings it four times, but one time is actually pretty silent and it's mixed over the vocals that come after that part. I invented that, but maybe I'm mighty enough to send this back in time and give Maynard a myterious intuition whilst recording the song. Why? Just, why?

DIM MY EYES

DIM MY EYES

DIM MY EYES

EctomMimedBison
06-20-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't hear any "v" sound whatsoever in "save your poison"

I hear:
"Silently just take your poison,

Terry21
06-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't hear any "v" sound whatsoever in "save your poison"

I hear:
"Silently just take your poison,

Hey that could be another possibility.

telder
06-21-2006, 03:31 AM
One of the greatest movies of all time.

Absolutely. Haha.

rednasyl
06-21-2006, 02:40 PM
on the recording of the show in dallas from 8 may, one can hear very clearly that it's 'silent legion. save your poison'. that's for sure.

Opiate_Mass
06-21-2006, 09:23 PM
I think maybe the lines :

You’re my peace of mind, my all,
I said I’m just trying to hold on one more day.

...should be :

You’re my peace of mind, my all, my sentence
Just trying to hold on one more day.

...referencing the line earlier where he says "my sentence". I could be wrong about that, but it really seems like he's saying "my (something)", rather than "I said".
hmm sounds like "you're my piece of mind, my all, my CENTRE"

Opiate_Mass
06-21-2006, 09:29 PM
This is what I hear for this song:

02 jambi

Prayed like a father dusk to dawn
Chant to the devil with my song

It's Pray like a MARTYR dusk til dawn
and TEMPTED the devil with my song.

ELPsteel
06-21-2006, 10:40 PM
May or may not have been said, but:

I don't agree with the "dim my eyes" idea at all.

Definition for "dim":

a. Lacking in brightness: a dim room.
b. Emitting only a small amount of light; faint: a dim lightbulb.

The eyes obviously do not emit any light, so it's impossible to "dim" them; I doubt Maynard would pen such a poor word choice. To me, it sounds perfectly like "damn" anyway.

Just throwing that out there.

Muladhara
06-22-2006, 01:13 AM
May or may not have been said, but:

I don't agree with the "dim my eyes" idea at all.

Definition for "dim":

a. Lacking in brightness: a dim room.
b. Emitting only a small amount of light; faint: a dim lightbulb.

The eyes obviously do not emit any light, so it's impossible to "dim" them; I doubt Maynard would pen such a poor word choice. To me, it sounds perfectly like "damn" anyway.

Just throwing that out there.

It's an often used poetic line to say "His/her eyes dimmed" when someone dies.

That said, I also think it's damn 3 times.

SunBurN
06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
It's an often used poetic line to say "His/her eyes dimmed" when someone dies.

That said, I also think it's damn 3 times.

Well I disagree, and I hear Dim My Eyes x 3...

this will go on and on, back and forth, tu and fro until the damn lyrics are released officially! But again, Dim makes as much if not more sense as Damn in the context of the song so.....arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghh!!!! I'm so sick of this argument. TOOL!!! Put up the damn lyrics already!

SunBurN
06-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I definately hear a change too.

The first one certainly sounds like "Damn" the last I think says "Dim" the middle one I think says "Jambi" , but I'm not sure if it only sounds like that because it's what I'm expecting to hear.

As someone here already stated, if the song wasn't titled Jambi, then you wouldn't be even thinking it said Jambi within the Dim My Eyes x3.

Its still the problem of trying to make a connection to the title of the song "Jambi" or trying to make some sense out of MJK naming the song Jambi when its so difficult to pinpoint exactly any point in the lyrics that clearly connects to the title "Jambi" or even references it.

I think trying to insert Jambi into the Dim My Eyes x3 and saying you hear a "j" sound is just reaching.

jovem
06-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Try these lyrics: I think now the verses before the solo and the ones after the solo are united thematically, though I did not believe so at first. But a close listen has clarified matters. Basically, he's saying that:

He lives a very opulent lifestyle
But if his "center" were to be taken from him, he's wish all his wealth away.

At one point he lived a very decadent lifestyle.
But he found his center and he has found it to be a very uplifting experience, and now he is spiritually enlightened.
Again, if he had to choose between his center, his enlightenment, and the debauchery and wealth of a rock star, he'd rather be enlightened.

He again emphasizes that nothing could sway him from the truth he's found or force him to "kneel away" his center.

But it's tough. He just tries to live day to day despite the onslaught from external forces.

He would rather have his eyes put out if they were to "compromise" the "fulcurm," his center. They could do this by leading his soul astray from the path of enlightenment towards the material (i.e. his lifestyle becomes the purpose of his life rather than merely coexisting with to the path he has taken, spiritual enlightenment).

He likens the source of his enlightenment to the sun. He wishes the fractured, withered, broken (unenlightened) world be bathed in the rays of enlightenment until the world is made whole again.

Until then, he wants the masses ("legions") to save their dogmatic rhetoric and "get out" of his way so he can continue on the path he is on.

Lyrics:
Here from the king’s mountain view
Here from a wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan I do
On treasures and flesh never few

But I
I would
Wish it all away
If I thought I’d lose you just one day

The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side id found
Dabblin’ all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown
But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me ‘round

So I
I
I
I
I would
I would
I would wish this all away

Prayed like a martyr dusk to dawn
Begged like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it away
No pressure could hold sway
Or justify my kneeling away my center
So if I could, I’d wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow would take you away
You’re my piece of mind my all my center
And Just try to hold on one more day
Dim my, I’ve
Dim my, I’ve
Dim my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum,
Wants and needs divide me, then I might as well be gone

(guitar solo)

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent sun
Shine on upon the broken, shine until the two become one
Shine on forever, shine on benevolent sun
Shine on upon the severed, shine until the two become one
Divided, are withering away
Divided, are withering away
Shine on upon the many, light our way, benevolent sun

Breathe, in union
Breathe, in union
Breathe, in union
Breathe, in union
Breathe, in union
So, as one survive another day and season
Silence legions, save your preachings
Silence legions, stay out of my way

jovem
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Maynard doesn't take a very "evangelical" approach to his beliefs, does he?

Muladhara
06-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Well I disagree, and I hear Dim My Eyes x 3...

this will go on and on, back and forth, tu and fro until the damn lyrics are released officially! But again, Dim makes as much if not more sense as Damn in the context of the song so.....arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghh!!!! I'm so sick of this argument. TOOL!!! Put up the damn lyrics already!

Heheheh, dim does make sense yep, it's just the way he sings it that makes me think damn but he does have that twang to his voice, so yeah.

1000volts
06-23-2006, 03:02 AM
It's totally "save your poison." I don't think Maynard would have a lyric about "saying" your poison. It would be a different form of delivery.
I wonder if he isn't actually saying "Silent legion save your Priscian." Bear with me on this one. Reading some stuff on sacred geometry, I ran across an explanation of how the rational mind uses the imagination and intellect to remove that ignorance which negates the human intellect's natural disposition to understand things. Among humans, the simple order of greater and greatest is discerned by reason. In each and every class of being something premordial and supreme can be found to which all other things of its own can be reduced. So in this way, throughout the whole universe, a most natural and necessary order is found. This argument of Priscian is true and necessary, although it is ignored by many who do not know how to detect the natural order of things. They remain obstinate by easily jumping to conclusions, and making pronouncements, as they deem that anything they don't know must be equally unknown to everyone else. Others remain obstinate in believing in some true authorities, whose true meaning they have not basically understood, because they prefer narratives and stories to intellectual debate. Others still remain obstinate in their false principles from false authorites, having been brought up and nourished and imbibed with sayings handed down from their predecessors. If they were truly rational human beings, wouldn't they want to know the truth? But they suppose that they already know enough, if not everything, and see others, at all times, as ignorant.

Perhaps in is his desire to become one with his son and evolve to a higher consciousness he would have to leave all of this behind. But he wants to hold on one more day. He contemplates whether he wants this or needs this and if he needs this then he might as well be gone. Coming togetehr as one with his son is what he desires and in doing so will silence his legion, if he stops making music and touring, etc. He is telling the legion to save their Prescian argument, as he has surpassed them in the understanding of the order of the universe. "Silent legion! Save your Priscian! Silently just stay out of my way!"

Whew! Sorry so long!

Dark Globe
06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
its 'If in" and at the end, he says 'silently just save your position/praisen?
silently just stay out of my way..."
but its not leech, or poison im sure

and its not "capture the devil with my song", its "capture the devil with my son", i cant hear a g sound.....

BlanketEffect
06-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I always heard "Sheltered the devil with my song and got what I wanted all along" - that would make sense in the historical sense. Maynard's lyrics, that is...

swampyfool
06-23-2006, 10:02 PM
lol, after all that wasted typing...I see no revelence whatsoever to the actual topic. Please do not bother to respond with the answer to that, I already know th answer. It's not that I argue your previous posts but, this one was completely lame.
I don't see how this is in any way irrelevant. The guy said that Maynard wouldn't vary his iterations of a theme, and that is just untrue. As my post illustrated, Maynard- for many different reasons, in many different contexts, and in many different ways- will repeat a set of lyrics with slight variations in order to further elucidate the depth of meaning. In some cases, it is a slight variance (why can't we sleep/drink forever), and in other cases, it is quite a long-winded transformation (the verses of Undertow). Regardless, one cannot refute that Maynard employs lyrical theme and variation (and as the example of the Undertow album illustrates, he does it quite often- 9 out of 11 songs) as a device to achieve plurality of meaning. Thus, one cannot say with any accuracy that the line in question couldn't be "Damn my eyes, jam my eyes, dim my eyes . . ." as such a line fits in perfectly with such a tendency.

And "Copy" and "Paste" hardly constitutes a shitload of typing.

anopheles
06-24-2006, 01:35 AM
why is it "save your poison" and not "save your praise"?

AguirreWrathOfTool
06-24-2006, 10:57 AM
great show. really. I was there in Rome the previous night, and there was an unefficient acoustic (not to point the finger and blame tool, but the location was unable to host a similar event, the sound was redudant). Last night great show, same setlist as Rome, but yeah, it was incredible.

I really liked Justin in these two italian dates. He was warmer than the others. And he's the english one... there's something wrong....You're really great Justin. Maynard did a great performance, most of all in Right in Two and Sober, he sang very very well, while he lost the rhythm in lateralus (magnificient Danny) in the verses "reaching up to embrace the rhythm..."
Adam static as always, but yeah, very good performance.

Maynardism:

"blablablablabla 10,000 Days... blablbalbalabalabala Jambi"
[and starts the song...]

"Buonasera, and congratulations for your victory tonight"
[referring to the victory of Italy at the World Cup]

A quick question that may sort out a lot of confusion for many of us...How exactly did he pronounce the word "Jambi?"

reaktor
06-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I think is DAMN MY EYES.. :)

Bucky
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
yeah, it surprised us to

he said jambi like

jahm be (only without the space, connected)

the way arnold schwarzenegger would pronounce jam b

and it's definetly damn my eyes

jovem
06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
its 'If in" and at the end, he says 'silently just save your position/praisen?
silently just stay out of my way..."
but its not leech, or poison im sure

and its not "capture the devil with my song", its "capture the devil with my son", i cant hear a g sound.....

that's because the vocals are mixed with a phase effect. But the g sound is there, just kind of warped. That phase effect is really the prime contributor to most of our hearing issues for this song. that and adam has the midrange boosted to hell on his guitar mix

Terry21
06-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I think it's "Silent legion, say your praise and silent legion stay out of my way."

Half Full
06-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, explain the "b." It is there. You cannot ignore it. Maybe he was attempting to say damn my, said jam-buy, thought it rocked, and named the song jambi just to fuck with all of us. I refuse to think that the song titles always have to have some underlying meaning. I'm not trying to take anything anyway from Tools' intellect. I'm giving them credit for their sarcasm. I know. I'm prbly wrong. I almost can't deal with this topic anymore.

Well, I have talked with a lot of people and they all seem to think it's "dim my eyes". This would account for the "B" in there, because if you say the word "dim", you can hear a "B" at the end of the word. But regardless, does it make sense either way? Anyone have ideas about what this song means? Please reply.

tetrafarmakon
06-24-2006, 01:36 PM
j = like in Justice

a = like in Ambition

m

b

i = like in Italy

m = maynard

b = bologna

^L^'

Half Full
06-24-2006, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=spiralpath]I am fairly certain that no one has gotten this correct yet. My closest guess is this:

"Dim my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum
Wants and needs divide me thin
I might as well be gone"

I think this is the closest, if not perfect, transgression.

Terry21
06-24-2006, 02:39 PM
"Dim my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum
want and need divide me
then I might as well be gone"

dresnu
06-24-2006, 03:37 PM
The song is pronounced JAM-BEE, that's how maynard called it.

onemotive
06-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Here's my take on it...

Heaven the king's mountain view
Heaven a wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan, I do
But I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day...

In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.
...But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round

So I, I would wish this all away

Pray like a martyr dusk to dawn

But I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it all away

No pressure could hold sway
Or justify my
Giving away, my center

So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away

You're my piece of mind, my all
I said I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

Damn my eyes!

Damn my eyes!
If they should compromise
A fulcrum
Want and need; if I need,
Then I might as well be gone...

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the broken
Shine until the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed

Divided, withering away

Shine down upon the many, light our way,
Benevolent sun.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silently, just save your poison
Silently, just stay out of my way

1000volts
06-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Whatever the fuck is being said, this is great to have intellectual debate on lyrical content! Thank you TOOL and thank you all!

Terry21
06-25-2006, 03:33 AM
The song is pronounced JAM-BEE, that's how maynard called it.

WHEN DID HE CALL IT THAT?

Terry21
06-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Whatever the fuck is being said, this is great to have intellectual debate on lyrical content! Thank you TOOL and thank you all!

Actually it's pretty annoying. :P I don't know, I just wanna fanatically have the real lyrics.

dresnu
06-25-2006, 08:33 AM
WHEN DID HE CALL IT THAT?
Live in Bologna 22/06/06

wearethestories
06-25-2006, 05:35 PM
no person could hold sway
or justify my kneel
and awake my center

so if i could i'd wish it all away...

you, my piece of mind, my all, my center
just try(in') to hold on, one more day...

damn my eyes if they should compromise a fulcrum
want and need divide me then I might as well be gone...

silence legion, say your praise and
silence legion, stay out of my way

my take on the CONTROVERSIAL issues at hand

Muladhara
06-26-2006, 02:12 AM
Everyone who hears "praise" or any sort of "r" sound in "Poison" is completely deaf.

Post up an MP3 of this bit so we can all hear why you hear an 'r' sound where there isn't one.

weesper
06-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Last night in Prague while announcing Jambi, Maynard clearly pronounced jambi with an a as in car and an i as in bee (can't think of a better example now); the first syllable is stressed though!

Anyways, for this reason it just cant be "Jam Bi Eyes" since he doesnt say 'jaem' and he doesnt say Bi as in bisexual and it cant be the indonesian province either since that would be jamBEE.

Maybe he'll say the same thing (he had this imitation of a radio scanning for frequencies) in Amsterdam tomorrow then we can all be convinced...

swampyfool
06-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Last night in Prague while announcing Jambi, Maynard clearly pronounced jambi with an a as in car and an i as in bee (can't think of a better example now); the first syllable is stressed though!

Anyways, for this reason it just cant be "Jam Bi Eyes" since he doesnt say 'jaem' and he doesnt say Bi as in bisexual and it cant be the indonesian province either since that would be jamBEE.
What?

I know that I have posted this and said this before, but please follow this link and then click on the little megaphone icon. (If you don't hear a voice pronouncing the word, you haven't done it right. Try again.) (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jambi)

The first syllable of the Indonesian Province is stressed. It is pronounced "JAHM-bee," not "jahm-BEE." So it seems to me that if what you heard in Prague is accurate, you are right to rule out "JAM-bye-"anything; you are wrong in ruling out the Indonesian Province. Enjoy your Neder-Tooling.

Terry21
06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
So I guess the song is about the province.

swampyfool
06-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Still seems to be the most rational explaination.

weesper
06-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanx, I could have just linked to the megaphone and done w/out my pronunciation examples there if I'd known that. Still, we agree on this matter. However I doubt that this would be about the indonesian province, maybe the title is just a contraction of something much like Aenema. Likewise with Aenema ten years ago we first had to settle on the pronunciation...

I'll try and record his introduction to jambi tomorrow (if I remember) and try and post it (we can have one those megaphone icons there as well).

ps I'd have to say that Prague was excellent;Maynard's joke just before Aenema 'We rocked prog... get it? rocked prog!' was a lot a fun as well

GoLoBuLouS
06-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I wonder if he isn't actually saying... "Silent legion! Save your Priscian!"... etc... Whew! Sorry so long!

I thought this idea to be most interesting... however I doubt the pronounciation of the word.

GoLoBuLouS
06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
why is it "save your poison" and not "save your praise"?

"praise" doesnt have two sylables that would match up unless it was being combined like: "save your praise-and... etc"

swampyfool
06-26-2006, 04:37 PM
"praise" doesnt have two sylables that would match up unless it was being combined like: "save your praise-and... etc"
Still could be "praises," though.

GoLoBuLouS
06-26-2006, 04:39 PM
I always heard "Sheltered the devil with my song and got what I wanted all along" - that would make sense in the historical sense. Maynard's lyrics, that is...

Precisely; thats what I was hearing before even thinking about it twice.

I am only hearing "sheltered"... does that mean everyone else is just tapping their heels together?

muahaha.

Just go back to track 69 of Undertow... That's "sheltering" if you ask me...

BlanketEffect
06-27-2006, 08:04 AM

Well, I'd go as far as to say that the province has a relavence to Maynard's meaning of the song but I'd disagree with saying that the song is *about* the province.

'Jambi' is simply a metaphor and spawns a few lyrical imageries throughout the song; but, the song is not about the province in and of itself - in any way.

Inner_Eulogy
06-27-2006, 09:19 AM

Where do you people come up with this shit? It is crystal clear..he says "tempted the devil with my song, and got what I wanted all along"

Inner_Eulogy
06-27-2006, 09:21 AM
yeah, it surprised us to

he said jambi like

jahm be (only without the space, connected)

the way arnold schwarzenegger would pronounce jam b

and it's definetly damn my eyes

Again, the actual pronounciation of the word sounds like "jahm-bee" but IF that is the word he is trying to say in the ___ my eyes part of the song...he is pronouncing it as "jam-bye eyes"

Inner_Eulogy
06-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Well, I have talked with a lot of people and they all seem to think it's "dim my eyes". This would account for the "B" in there, because if you say the word "dim", you can hear a "B" at the end of the word. But regardless, does it make sense either way? Anyone have ideas about what this song means? Please reply.

Um, unless you are some sort of verbally impaired paraplegic...there is no fucking "B" sound in the word DIM. Say it with me...DIMMmmmmm

Inner_Eulogy
06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
no person could hold sway
or justify my kneel
and awake my center

so if i could i'd wish it all away...

you, my piece of mind, my all, my center
just try(in') to hold on, one more day...

damn my eyes if they should compromise a fulcrum
want and need divide me then I might as well be gone...

silence legion, say your praise and
silence legion, stay out of my way

my take on the CONTROVERSIAL issues at hand

It's not "no person"....it's definately either No Pressure or No Pleasure could hold sway, or justify my kneeling away my (center/sinner)...although I think it's center..it makes more sense and goes along with fulcrum.

And it's "damn my eyes if they should compromise a fulcrum, if want and need divide me then I might as well be gone"

And it CLEARLY DOES NOT say "say your praise and" It's definately poison

beleaves
06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
it's not "kneel" and "awake" he doesn't say kneel or awake at all..
it's:
"no pressure could hold.. sway.. or justify.. my.. givin' away.. my.. center..."

as far as dim/damn...i think it's damn, but we won't know for sure until the lyrics come out.

and as for the fulcrum part, it sounds to me like:
"damn my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum,
wants and needs divide me,
then i might as well be gone."

and i might not be right on this but the divided part sounds like:
"divided, i'm witherin' away
divided, i wither away"

and the end is
"silence legions, save your poison.
silence legions, stay out of my way!"

and it's pee-wee's jambi.. he's "wishing it all away" to the genie in the box...
lick-a-hiney-hole!

Inner_Eulogy
06-27-2006, 03:22 PM
it's not "kneel" and "awake" he doesn't say kneel or awake at all..
it's:
"no pressure could hold.. sway.. or justify.. my.. givin' away.. my.. center..."

as far as dim/damn...i think it's damn, but we won't know for sure until the lyrics come out.

and as for the fulcrum part, it sounds to me like:
"damn my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum,
wants and needs divide me,
then i might as well be gone."

and i might not be right on this but the divided part sounds like:
"divided, i'm witherin' away
divided, i wither away"

and the end is
"silence legions, save your poison.
silence legions, stay out of my way!"

and it's pee-wee's jambi.. he's "wishing it all away" to the genie in the box...
lick-a-hiney-hole!

I started to think for a minute that you actually had a brain until you threw in the Pee Wee genie thing.

beleaves
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I started to think for a minute that you actually had a brain until you threw in the Pee Wee genie thing.

if you don't think maynard has a sense of humor about himself and his lyrics you should probably think again...

i'm sure like most of his things it has multiple meanings.. and i seriously doubt the pee wee reference was lost on him when he called it jambi.

Undone
06-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I hear;

'Damn My Eyes
Jambi Eyes
Damn My Eyes....'

The middle one is definately Jambi, maybe Eye or I or Eyes
But the other two are Damn, maybe Dam

I thought the same thing when I heard this song live back in May, jam-bi pronounced as they would be seperately. The J was unmistakable in concert.

In response to Maynard saying "Jam bee", that's how you say the PeeWee characters name. Good Humor.

Fine, I'm wrong.

weesper
06-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Tried and record Maynard's introduction to Jambi last night as promised but obviously he's reading in on this stuff here cuz he only said 'we got a new album out and we here to tell you all about it; this is a song of that album' ie no jambi... but trust me its NOT jamBI as in bilingual or bisexual of you so wish.

Anyways other stuff I picked up is, he definately says

'sheltered the devil with my song'

and

'damn my eyes, dim my eyes, dim my eyes if they should compromise a fulcrum.. etc

We can probably fight about this for ages but as far as I'm concerned (and his channel was crystal clear last night) this is correct

ween69
06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
maynard's saying, "you guys better compensate for pee wee's big adventure". and i say to maynard, i share your pain, i share your pain you smooth singing guy.

swampyfool
06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
The following was posted, by me, on another thread in this forum, but I figured that it would be of greater value posted here. It was posted in response to a challenge to the validity of commanding one to silence at the same time as commanding one to say one's praises.

Maynard's buddy, Zack De la Rocha, once said . . .

"Silence- somethin' about silence makes me sick,
'cause silence can be violent sorta like the slit wrist.
If the vibe was suicide, then you would push the button-
but if you're bowin' down, then let me do the cuttin'.
Some speak in sounds, yet speak in silent voices;
Like the radio is silent though it fills the air with noises.
It's transmissions bring submission, as we mold to the unreal.
And Madboy grips the microphone, with a fistful of steel."

A very scathing, yet perfectly apt description and renunciation of silence. Thus, the line in question could be equating the praises that the legions or leeches (either is valid until the lyrics are released) say with silence; in keeping with the above interpretation of "silent voices" that "fill the air with noises." If the praise one says amounts to nothing, could it not also be said to be silent?

So . . .
Silent/Silence (as either a command or a title) Legion(s)/Leech(es/ and)
Say your praises (equated, thus, to silence)

However, my overall interpretation is . . .
"Silence, legions- say your praise in
silence, legions! Stay out of my way!"

Muladhara
06-29-2006, 02:00 AM
The following was posted, by me, on another thread in this forum, but I figured that it would be of greater value posted here. It was posted in response to a challenge to the validity of commanding one to silence at the same time as commanding one to say one's praises.

Maynard's buddy, Zack De la Rocha, once said . . .

"Silence- somethin' about silence makes me sick,
'cause silence can be violent sorta like the slit wrist.
If the vibe was suicide, then you would push the button-
but if you're bowin' down, then let me do the cuttin'.
Some speak in sounds, yet speak in silent voices;
Like the radio is silent though it fills the air with noises.
It's transmissions bring submission, as we mold to the unreal.
And Madboy grips the microphone, with a fistful of steel."

A very scathing, yet perfectly apt description and renunciation of silence. Thus, the line in question could be equating the praises that the legions or leeches (either is valid until the lyrics are released) say with silence; in keeping with the above interpretation of "silent voices" that "fill the air with noises." If the praise one says amounts to nothing, could it not also be said to be silent?

So . . .
Silent/Silence (as either a command or a title) Legion(s)/Leech(es/ and)
Say your praises (equated, thus, to silence)

However, my overall interpretation is . . .
"Silence, legions- say your praise in
silence, legions! Stay out of my way!"

But where are you getting the 'r' sound in the first of those two lines? It's an 'oi' sound, there's no 'r'!

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 05:24 AM
But where are you getting the 'r' sound in the first of those two lines? It's an 'oi' sound, there's no 'r'!
Despite your vocal protestations, I can hear phoenetic backup for either "praise" (and derivations thereof) or "poison." The guitars and drums are very active and very loud at the point of this lyric, and sometimes it sounds like "r," sometimes it sounds like "oi." The thing that pushes me toward "praise in" over "poison," is that I do NOT hear a "v" at the end of "Say/Save." So, it comes down to "Say your praise in . . ." or "Say your poison," and the latter seems rather an awkward lyrical construction to be emplooyed by Maynard.

However, even if you are right about it being "poison," I still think that the Zack De La Rocha definition of silence is applicable. Whether Maynard is bashing somebody's tendency toward praise by equating it to silence or he is characterizing silence as poison; I believe that the main thrust of this ending is to draw attention to the detriment caused by remaining silent. "I got no patience now . . . So sick of complacence now . . ."

lenny
06-29-2006, 06:35 AM
silence Nietzsche
save your poison
silence Nietzsche
stay out of my way

wittig
06-29-2006, 06:36 AM
I looked through the last couple of pages of stuff, but I don't know if anyone has raised this possibility for this line

"chapter the devil with my song"

instead of "sing" "shout" "chant" any other variations

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 07:06 AM
I looked through the last couple of pages of stuff, but I don't know if anyone has raised this possibility for this line

Meh . . .
Still sounds like tempted, to me . . .

Inner_Eulogy
06-29-2006, 10:09 AM

Normally I would ridicule you and call you names for a comment as obliviously incorrect as it is....but I'll save that for the next guy.

Terry21
06-29-2006, 01:08 PM
silence Nietzsche
save your poison
silence Nietzsche
stay out of my way

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OGT from back in the day
06-30-2006, 09:45 AM
It sounds like he's saying

"You’re my peace of mind, my (all), (my saturn) just trying to hold on one more day."

He references saturn alot in his lyrics, even in lateralus. I'm not sure what connotations that has, but it seems to be a consistency he holds to alot, for some reason. I'm gonna look into that more.
deffinately either saturn or center

SunBurN
06-30-2006, 10:02 AM
deffinately either saturn or center

I think it would be cool if it's saturn kind of tying into "the grudge" but I think its also fine if it's center and I agree that I think its definitely one of those two.

And um oh yeah, pretty sure its "tempted the devil with my song".

1000volts
06-30-2006, 12:33 PM
I thought this idea to be most interesting... however I doubt the pronounciation of the word.

Thank you! Hell, I might be wrong, but a lot of enegry went into that post!

1000volts
06-30-2006, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=SuccessfullyPriedOpen]Despite your vocal protestations, I can hear phoenetic backup for either "praise" (and derivations thereof) or "poison." The guitars and drums are very active and very loud at the point of this lyric, and sometimes it sounds like "r," sometimes it sounds like "oi." The thing that pushes me toward "praise in" over "poison," is that I do NOT hear a "v" at the end of "Say/Save." So, it comes down to "Say your praise in . . ." or "Say your poison," and the latter seems rather an awkward lyrical construction to be emplooyed by Maynard.

I definitely hear the "r" sound in the word in dispute. But you're right, I don't hear the "v" sound in "save/say" so maybe it is "say your praise" or "say your praise and..." but the Priscian argument I made before still holds water.

satyrfrost
06-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Does anyone hear "In love with the dark side I FELL" ?

BlanketEffect
06-30-2006, 08:56 PM
I have heard it as 'fell' as well as 'found' - it could be either. But, 'found' does rhyme with 'down'. So it's a guess of how likely was Maynard to use the rhyme there? I think pretty good since all the last words in that stanza rhyme with the 'ow' sound.

So while it sounds like either, I'd still wager it's 'found'.

satyrfrost
06-30-2006, 10:17 PM
I said FELL 'cause you can FALL in love with something/someone. But they both work. The rhyming of FOUND does makes sense though.

Terry21
07-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Does anyone hear "In love with the dark side I FELL" ?

How about "in love with the dark side I fell"?

Someone told me it's may be "the dark side I'd (I had) found". Get it?

I don't give a fuck about rhymes though.

tooltomus
07-01-2006, 07:24 PM
GOD enough already! If Maynard doesn't post these fucking lyrics soon, we are all gonna be at each others throats forever!

swampyfool
07-02-2006, 02:22 AM
GOD enough already! If Maynard doesn't post these fucking lyrics soon, we are all gonna be at each others throats forever!
But I'm still here, givin' blood; keepin' faith
And I'm still here . . .
BE PATIENT

OGT from back in the day
07-02-2006, 12:21 PM
But I'm still here, givin' blood; keepin' faith
And I'm still here . . .
BE PATIENT
ahahahaha i knew someone would put that on here cuz i was reading these and listening to that song at the same time

BlanketEffect
07-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Synchronicity makes the world go 'round.

vash
07-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey first post here. Hopefully this wasn't already covered somewhere... I only quickly scanned through all 15 pages. Anyway, picking up from the lyrics page, my take on two missing sections starting at:

wish it all away
wanna wish it all away

no price you could hold
sway or justify my
giving away my
center

so if i could i'd wish it all away
if i thought tomorrow, they'd take you away

you're my peace of mind
my home
my saturn
just trying to hold on
one more day

Choice Breath
07-03-2006, 04:32 PM
silence Nietzsche
save your poison
silence Nietzsche
stay out of my way

if that's possible, how about:

"Silent sneetches"

or

"Silence sneetches"

BlanketEffect
07-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah, okay... just one thing: What the fuck is a sneetch?

Terry21
07-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Silence bitches
sing your own lyrics
silence bitches
stay out of my way

CaseLogic
07-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Silence bitches
sing your own lyrics
silence bitches
stay out of my way

I pretty much have to concur with this, it's what I hear too

wearethestories
07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I said FELL 'cause you can FALL in love with something/someone.
retarded must be like a big conspiracy no one bothers telling me about

"In love with the dark side I'd found" --- it's past tense, as in "the devil and his HAD me down... BUT you changed that all for me"...

it's like people don't even bother knowing the language they speak.

panocha21
07-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Damn my eyes if they should come from eyes of ogres.
Warm to knead, divide me then I might as well be gone.

panocha21
07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Damn my eyes if they should compromise our okra.
Warm chutney, divide me then I might as well be gone.

Faltering
07-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Goodness, you guys are hard at work at these lyrics. Keep up the good work.

Man, after all the Tool I've listened to, I'm almost skeptical to even try and guess what it is Maynard is saying, especially considering how obscure Maynard's pronounciation can be. And even listening closely to some of these words, it's still so difficult to distinguish what's what, considering, when you TELL yourself that something is being said, you tend to hear it.

I too hope that they soon release the official lyrics, but, something tells me it will take the Tool guys longer with 10,000 Days than any of the other albums to release them. I suspect this because 10,000 Days is, as well all know, not quite linear with some of the things we've come to expect from Tool, based off of Aenima and Lateralus...but then again, when is ANY follow-up of Tool's very linear? Either way, I still think they'll keep us guessing for some time before ending the speculation.

I wonder how often The Tool Page lyrics are updated? I could be wrong, but a lot of the lyrics that are still up have been challenged with well-justified alternatives suggested. For example, the "semi"-official lyrics still maintain the...

"Silent legions"/"Silently Just"...stay out of my way.

Regardless, the more I think about it, the more "Silence, Legions, stay out of my way..." (or something along those lines) seems to make sense, especially considering how optimistic the song seems to end, with, "Shine on forever, shine on Benevolent Sun."

It just makes so much sense to me to think that Maynard would end with those words, given the aggression and power of those last few moments of Jambi...telling the "Legions" (what could be a generalized or perhaps not so generalized term for these dark forces) to stay away from him, and spare him the temptations and influences. "Save your poison."

And as for the "Jambi/Damn My/Dim My", like I said above, whenever I consider one, and listen, I hear it. But when I consider the other, I hear that too. That's why, I suppose, I'll just wait to see what Maynard himself has to say about it, before I make any conclusions.

I really respect this community's efforts in trying to determine the "true" lyrics, though. Once again, keep up the good work.

dissonance19
07-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Meh . . .
Still sounds like tempted, to me . . .

yeah, it's "tempted." it's pretty clear on live versions and it's all the same on different ones, so it's not him changing the words for it.

beleaves
07-06-2006, 06:55 AM
alright... I just listened to the end again
I'm changing my vote

"Silence leech and save your poison.
Silence leech and stay out of my way."

Terry21
07-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Whenever I consider one, and listen, I hear it. But when I consider the other, I hear that too. That's why, I suppose, I'll just wait to see what Maynard himself has to say about it, before I make any conclusions.

That's the truth!

satyrfrost
07-07-2006, 01:27 PM
retarded must be like a big conspiracy no one bothers telling me about

"In love with the dark side I'd found" --- it's past tense, as in "the devil and his HAD me down... BUT you changed that all for me"...

it's like people don't even bother knowing the language they speak.

It's a conspiracy to you because you don't know you're the fucking retard.

"In love with the dark side I FELL" is in past tense.

it's like people don't even bother FUCKING READING

Retard

Terry21
07-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Calm down dude.

anarcho-commie
07-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I believe he says "save your preachings" instead of "save your poison."

sularetal
07-09-2006, 06:09 PM
"Tempted the Devil with my PSALM."

swampyfool
07-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Meh.

wearethestories
07-10-2006, 11:08 AM
oohhhh.... perchance.

OGT from back in the day
07-10-2006, 11:27 AM
alright... I just listened to the end again
I'm changing my vote

"Silence leech and save your poison.
Silence leech and stay out of my way."
i think that.......... but i think it might be "leeches".......(plural)

wearethestories
07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
It's a conspiracy to you because you don't know you're the fucking retard.

"In love with the dark side I FELL" is in past tense.

it's like people don't even bother FUCKING READING

Retard
Sorry.

Let me dumb it down a bit.

There's a distinct difference between Simple Past Tense and Past Perfect Tense. What I was referring to was the Perfect Past (i.e. HAD found) and what you are claiming is that Simple Past=Past Perfect.

Simple Past Tense just makes sure the reader/listener understands that something happened. Past Perfect makes it clear that the event happened PREVIOUSLY (as in BEFORE the next line "But you changed that all for me"), and didn't just "happen". There's a sort of CAUSALITY that's hinted at in the lyric ["The Devil and his had me down, in love with the dark side I'd found/But you changed that all for me..."] that doesn't appear in your version.

BUT, let's look at your lyric: "In love with the dark side, I fell" --- in the actual lyric (or, most people's understanding) the "dark side" is clearly labelled as something that the narrator found (internal or external; doesn't matter),yet your interpretation makes no such concession. THE dark side is rather ambiguous and it's 'origin'/'necessary universal understanding' is lacking. THAT MEANS that we, as listeners, have no fucking clue what "THE DARK SIDE" is or could be, unless we revert to the Star Wars mythology, which is something that might fit in with "Rosetta Stoned" but certainly not in "Jambi".

satyrfrost
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry.

Let me dumb it down a bit.

There's a distinct difference between Simple Past Tense and Past Perfect Tense. What I was referring to was the Perfect Past (i.e. HAD found) and what you are claiming is that Simple Past=Past Perfect.

Simple Past Tense just makes sure the reader/listener understands that something happened. Past Perfect makes it clear that the event happened PREVIOUSLY (as in BEFORE the next line "But you changed that all for me"), and didn't just "happen". There's a sort of CAUSALITY that's hinted at in the lyric ["The Devil and his had me down, in love with the dark side I'd found/But you changed that all for me..."] that doesn't appear in your version.

BUT, let's look at your lyric: "In love with the dark side, I fell" --- in the actual lyric (or, most people's understanding) the "dark side" is clearly labelled as something that the narrator found (internal or external; doesn't matter),yet your interpretation makes no such concession. THE dark side is rather ambiguous and it's 'origin'/'necessary universal understanding' is lacking. THAT MEANS that we, as listeners, have no fucking clue what "THE DARK SIDE" is or could be, unless we revert to the Star Wars mythology, which is something that might fit in with "Rosetta Stoned" but certainly not in "Jambi".

All right, point taken.

You obviously study linguistics/English at JMU (James Madison University if Google is correct) and have an appreciation of correct grammar. I however, do not (and I'm guessing a lot of people here do not either), but I don't appreciate being called a retard because of this.

Good post though.

linkoln228
07-10-2006, 05:17 PM
" In love with the Dark side I'd found"
"Dabbled in all the way down"
"Up to my neck soon to drownd"
"But you changed that all for me"
"Lifted me up, turned me round"

linkoln228
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
That is exactly what he says, its so clear, even the message.

BlanketEffect
07-10-2006, 08:34 PM
All right, point taken.

You obviously study linguistics/English at JMU (James Madison University if Google is correct) and have an appreciation of correct grammar. I however, do not (and I'm guessing a lot of people here do not either), but I don't appreciate being called a retard because of this.

Good post though.

In a world where thoughts and ideas make up and define existance as we know it, one cannot but pay attention to words and meaning when trying to understand. The better your command over your language the better you are able to express what it is that you are trying to convey.

Bravo grammar geeks!

swampyfool
07-10-2006, 09:00 PM
In a world where thoughts and ideas make up and define existance as we know it, one cannot but pay attention to words and meaning when trying to understand. The better your command over your language the better you are able to express what it is that you are trying to convey.

Bravo grammar geeks!
Ditto.

Ranger10000
07-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Lyrics i have been hearing ... through concert recordings too

Shafted the devil with my song...

Silent legion, say your poison
silent legion, stay out of my way

SunBurN
07-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Lyrics i have been hearing ... through concert recordings too

Shafted the devil with my song...

Silent legion, say your poison
silent legion, stay out of my way

It's possible that the when he sings in concert that he changes the words as he feels like it, but the studio version, it's pretty clearly "tempted".

I don't want to even get into that other argument. The way he sings that last part, it could be any number of combinations (silence legions, silence leeches / save/stay your poison/ silently just take your poison) and others I've seen posted here and heard myself.

This one will not be settled until the lyrics come out!

BlanketEffect
07-11-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm more of the opinion that the 'clear' sounding vocal for that part is "sheltered" - 'sheltered the devil with my song' - So there are a few places that will not be determined until the lyrics come out.

And just for the record I think it's:

Silence leech and save your poison
Silently just stay out of my way

SunBurN
07-11-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm more of the opinion that the 'clear' sounding vocal for that part is "sheltered" - 'sheltered the devil with my song' - So there are a few places that will not be determined until the lyrics come out.

And just for the record I think it's:

Silence leech and save your poison
Silently just stay out of my way

and yet another version.

There are so many parts in the songs of 10,000 days that we all argue about that are just so unclear due to how he sings the songs, slurs or otherwise changes the way letters/words sound traditionally, and then that combined with the music that sometimes almost completely drowns out what MJK is singing/saying (rosetta stoned for example), well it's going to take the official lyrics being posted to settle all of these disputes!

And even then, who knows for sure if MJK is actually posting the exact lyrics that he sang for the studio album? So until then it's just everyone's opinion and no one here can really know or emphatically say any lyrics are certain with 100% confidence.

wearethestories
07-11-2006, 09:56 AM
All right, point taken.

Good post though.
twice noted.

and I apologize for the original comment, that was out of line.

swampyfool
07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
And even then, who knows for sure if MJK is actually posting the exact lyrics that he sang for the studio album? So until then it's just everyone's opinion and no one here can really know or emphatically say any lyrics are certain with 100% confidence.
Like Undertow (song and album). Maynard let two years roll by before realeasing lyrics, and there are so many snippets from that realease that are so obviously juxtaposed and/or completely changed from the studio version. Lyrics such as ". . . the endless water . . . deep and rich like silt . . ." and, ". . . the cold, black water . . . cold and black like silt . . ." have changed order; ". . . and just as never-ending" has become, " . . . and just as undisturbing;" but the ambiguity is deeper than that. As I have writen before, the line that says "Why don't you kill me? I am weak and numb and insignificant . . ." sounded to me, upon first listen, to be "Why don't you kill me? I am weak and human; insignificant!" That iteration struck a particular chord of philosophical truth that resonated (and continues to resonate with increasing volume as time elapses) deep within me- especially when placed in paradoxical contrast with the zest for life that is espoused by Tool. My own interpretation was then given two years to settle in; to permeate such that when the line was released as "numb and," it was too late to revise my lyrical truth (even had I any such desire).

My point is that while a part of me is certainly frustrated and would love to see the lyrics released yesterday, another (and perhaps wiser) part of me wishes that we won't see lyrics until 5/2/08- or some such arbitrarily later time when people's individual interpretations have already gained the weight of permanance. I think perhaps that the maleability of Maynard's lyrics allows them to be bent (but never broken) to allow for many perspectives to take solace in and relate to them; perhaps that is one of the reasons that so many find such inspiration in these four (five; Paul) guys; perhaps that is what lends their music such profound credibility; and perhaps that credibility would be a little damaged by prompt releases of canonical lyrics . . .

SunBurN
07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Like Undertow (song and album). Maynard let two years roll by before realeasing lyrics, and there are so many snippets from that realease that are so obviously juxtaposed and/or completely changed from the studio version. Lyrics such as ". . . the endless water . . . deep and rich like silt . . ." and, ". . . the cold, black water . . . cold and black like silt . . ." have changed order; ". . . and just as never-ending" has become, " . . . and just as undisturbing;" but the ambiguity is deeper than that. As I have writen before, the line that says "Why don't you kill me? I am weak and numb and insignificant . . ." sounded to me, upon first listen, to be "Why don't you kill me? I am weak and human; insignificant!" That iteration struck a particular chord of philosophical truth that resonated (and continues to resonate with increasing volume as time elapses) deep within me- especially when placed in paradoxical contrast with the zest for life that is espoused by Tool. My own interpretation was then given two years to settle in; to permeate such that when the line was released as "numb and," it was too late to revise my lyrical truth (even had I any such desire).

My point is that while a part of me is certainly frustrated and would love to see the lyrics released yesterday, another (and perhaps wiser) part of me wishes that we won't see lyrics until 5/2/08- or some such arbitrarily later time when people's individual interpretations have already gained the weight of permanance. I think perhaps that the maleability of Maynard's lyrics allows them to be bent (but never broken) to allow for many perspectives to take solace in and relate to them; perhaps that is one of the reasons that so many find such inspiration in these four (five; Paul) guys; perhaps that is what lends their music such profound credibility; and perhaps that credibility would be a little damaged by prompt releases of canonical lyrics . . .

I don't think it's just the "maleability of Maynard's lyrics" that causes such frustration and curiosity, but also the way he sings them and how indiscernible they can be at times and how one or two words (damn vs dim vs Jam) or (leeches vs legions) can sound very similar, work in the context of the song but are slurred or otherwise disguised by his voice or the music that leaves us all trying to figure them out.

I think this is just part of why TOOL has such a strong following. The other part is that the music is so complexly fantastic and incredibly compelling to listen to coupled with MJK's uniquly powerful yet beautiful voice, and with that comes the emotions his singing and their music envokes leaving us yearning to know exactly what hell he's saying since it obviously means so much to him as he's singing it! And I think he knows that which is why he takes a couple of years to release the lyrics knowing we'll all be drawn to further listen to the songs always trying to figure them out.

Another side of this (that I've noticed from their live performances) is that he may feel he wants to change the lyrics slightly after singing it live over and over and words that felt right before, new words may sound better to him now or have a different meaning to him. One example is when he's singing Rosetta Stoned at the recent Toronto show, he says "like I woke up in Neverland" instead of Wonderland like he does on on previous live versions and the studio version. It's a small change, but noticable and I'm pretty sure I've noticed variations to the lyrics on other live songs too.

So maybe a few years from now when he does release the lyrics, they may be a reflection of changes he made over this tour singing the song(s) slighty different every now and then. Another example of this and an aside, I just recently got Salival and I was blown away by Pushit live! My god, I loved that song before, but he took it to a whole other level with that live version and in the course of it, he changed the lyrics around which made me think this would've been a cool segue into and before the original version, similar to Parabol and Parabola.

Anyways, I digress, I think that when TOOL does release the lyrics officially, they will be slightly different than what we all think they are now (even if they obviously sound a particular way to us) and then we'll all have to deal with that, just like you had to with your examples from the Undertow album.

GoLoBuLouS
07-11-2006, 04:26 PM
yeah, it's "tempted." it's pretty clear on live versions and it's all the same on different ones, so it's not him changing the words for it.

Just keep wishing it away.

Terry21
07-12-2006, 03:45 AM
Lol I just understood "sceptered the devil with my song"

OGT from back in the day
07-12-2006, 10:39 AM
ok in the live version he defiinately says "tempted the devil" but im not sure if he says that in the studio recording, i always thought he said "jestered the devil" but now i dont think he does and im not even sure if that makes sense

Terry21
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I think in the studio version he says "Ran to the devil with my studio lyrics".

Also live he doesn't sing "kings mountain view", he sings "kingz".

A Spirit of Radio
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
i agree with sunburn.
i also think that sometimes maynard might slur a word now and again when recording but the feel and sound of the vocal was so good that he will keep it.
i also think he might see what his fans post here and think, wow that's even better than what i wrote and rework lyrics himself for live shows.

BlanketEffect
07-13-2006, 09:24 PM
i also think he might see what his fans post here and think, wow that's even better than what i wrote and rework lyrics himself for live shows.

That would be quite funny. Buy his new record *and* write lyrics for him.

matt z
07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
The line near the end is "Silence, Legion, save your poison,"

(In reference to the demon Jesus cast into a herd of pigs, who said his name was "Legion, for we are many.")

wearethestories
07-17-2006, 07:35 AM

(In reference to the demon Jesus cast into a herd of pigs, who said his name was "Legion, for we are many.")
hmmm... works for me

duncang
07-17-2006, 12:22 PM
In the "[dim/damn] my eyes" part, I think it could be "and in my eyes". Makes sense, no?

OGT from back in the day
07-17-2006, 03:30 PM

that works

Terry21
07-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Haha, just got a crazy idea.

Prayed like a martyr dusk to dawn. = Eulogy
Begged like a hooker all night long. = Hooker with a penis

Reference that he was a bad side of human?

Caduceus11
07-22-2006, 09:09 AM
rarely does any artist sing the exact studio version live...they don't listen to the studio version over and over like we do....to them its like an idea...that changes with time and fluxuates...and I think that's part of the live experience...to get some alt-lyrics. So I wouldn't be using those live trax to change any lyrics for you... sure some will help you hear a word better , but its not the studio version....

Caduceus11
07-24-2006, 09:05 AM

fancy you should suggest this on post #666

Terry21
07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
rarely does any artist sing the exact studio version live...they don't listen to the studio version over and over like we do....to them its like an idea...that changes with time and fluxuates...and I think that's part of the live experience...to get some alt-lyrics. So I wouldn't be using those live trax to change any lyrics for you... sure some will help you hear a word better , but its not the studio version....

Correct. If people sing live they do alter it to something like singing "Eyehole" everytime in The Pot except "Eyeballs" once. But they don't change "Jambi eyes" to "damn my eyes", just because some people here think it's Jambi eyes and if they hear the opposite they try to invent something to prove the opposite.

No one and nobody
07-24-2006, 07:59 PM

Shout to the devil with my song -- AEnima
And got what I wanted all along --Third Eye

Maybe he's talking to his "benevolent son"... much like his mother did, "And this little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me"

BlanketEffect
07-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Shout to the devil with my song -- AEnima
And got what I wanted all along --Third Eye

Maybe he's talking to his "benevolent son"... much like his mother did, "And this little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me"

That's a lot of corelations with some open interpretation... I mean, you could make those lines imply several songs, depending on what you were trying to say...

I did for a while think that, all double meanings aside, it was written as 'benevolent sun'

Now, all double meanings aside, I think it was written as 'benevolent son'

Terry21
07-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm not talking about a chronolical reference to all songs or some crazy shit, just a little play, using the descriptions of persons he himself hates, to describe what he himself did.

BlanketEffect
07-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Okay, as absolutely corny as it seems to me and against my previous hearings, I'm really thinking the second pass he *does* say 'jambi eyes'

I know it could be the way he's saying Dim/Damn but I really think it's an intentional J sound. I don't know what it means and frankly I think the other way made for better lyrics, but I'm not Maynard, lucky for us all.

Terry21
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Okay, as absolutely corny as it seems to me and against my previous hearings, I'm really thinking the second pass he *does* say 'jambi eyes'

I know it could be the way he's saying Dim/Damn but I really think it's an intentional J sound. I don't know what it means and frankly I think the other way made for better lyrics, but I'm not Maynard, lucky for us all.

The word Jambi spoken this way doesn't exist. Maynard said himself that it is Jam-Bee.

n_run
07-27-2006, 11:10 AM
The word Jambi spoken this way doesn't exist. Maynard said himself that it is Jam-Bee.

True as that is, there is still a b sound in there. I think there are two vocal tracks each saying different words during that part which makes it hard to distinguish what he is saying.

BlanketEffect
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM

Perhaps he did say this. So what? Does that preclude him from having sung it a different way for the sake of effect? (and to the best of my knowledge we have only one report of him having said this at a concert. so even if the source is reliable it still might not hold any bearing on the matter at hand)

True as that is, there is still a b sound in there. I think there are two vocal tracks each saying different words during that part which makes it hard to distinguish what he is saying.

The double track thing... seems to be becoming a pattern on several places on the album.

Terry21
07-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Perhaps he did say this. So what? Does that preclude him from having sung it a different way for the sake of effect? (and to the best of my knowledge we have only one report of him having said this at a concert. so even if the source is reliable it still might not hold any bearing on the matter at hand)

I think the name could come from the fact that someone heard the recording of dim / damn my eyes and thought do you say Jambi? And then they named it like that.

BlanketEffect
07-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, I'm thinking that there is other imagery in the lyrics that indicate 'Jambi' doesn't just reflect that one line. I think it's kind of a coincidence and the mixer/Maynard/whoever decided to make it morre audibly pronounced. Or maybe Maynard just threw it in there because it sounded very close to the title of the song and it is yet one more of countless things thrown on a Tool album that make for that full Tool experience.

A Tool album wouldn't be a Tool album if there weren't 17,000 things to listen for or to draw corelations to (or at least make attempts to) all the while never knowing if the theories you have pop into your head were placed there intentionally or if it is, indeed, just a coincidence. I mean, dear gods, I've listened to Lateralus probably in the upper hundreds of times now and not that infrequently I still hear something new.

Terry21
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
A Tool album also wouldn't be a Tool album if there were stupid theories in it. Listen to wings for marie, he's singing "it's chime now, my chime now". It's like that. And don't get my wrong, I'm the total fan of digging deep into art, but just in a way that can be.

Crissaegrim
07-28-2006, 01:08 PM
I can't read through this whole thread but did anyone hear -

Bed like a hooker all night long.

I don't get why a hooker would beg all night long.

SunBurN
07-28-2006, 04:15 PM

Are you serious??

Tape_Dispenser
07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Dunno...When they holler at you to entice you, in reality there are just begging for your cash?

Crissaegrim
07-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Ah, I was thinking Hooker as in- in the bed with you- not on the street.

Thank you for the nice reply Tape_Dispencer.

Thank you too SunBurN- you have enlightened me more than Maynard ever could.

Terry21
07-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Haha.

BlanketEffect
07-29-2006, 08:33 PM

Because he 'prayed' and 'begged' and in return 'got what [he] wanted'

Terry21
07-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I rather think he prayed for record sales, begged for cash and got the musician life he wanted all along.

BlanketEffect
07-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Works for me.

andro
08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Anybody heard:

"brave like a martyr, dusk till dawn"

Logic being, what's more important to being a martyr? Your piety or your bravery in the face of opposition?

I cast my vote for:

"sheltered the devil with my song"

Extremely clear on some of the live recordings.

Also, not sure if this variation has been mentioned (I'm too lazy to read the whole thread)

"You're my peace of mind, my home"

Sounds like ppl have given up on figuring it out. Download some shows, that's the only way at this point. Yes, Maynard likes to switch lyrics around, but it's entirely likely that, if you listen to enough variations, you'll find that slight change in sound that tells you one word over another.

I'd do it, but I'm lazy. Also, listening to the 2006 tour has been extremely painful for me. Maynard's voice is just not what it used to be. :(

A Spirit of Radio
08-02-2006, 12:08 PM
i like peace of mind,my home
i think someone earlier said, my peace, my aum , my saturn-just tryin' to hold on one more day

fraterps
08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
There's a lot going on here so I'm not sure how well seen this will be. Wheat from the chaff and all that. I originally posted this on Toolarmy a couple of days ago. It's pretty much carried over from there. It is I believe the definitive discussion of the song.

As far as I can tell, some of Jambi's central lyrics (and as a result the song's meaning) have not been adequetly expressed among the members of Tool's Army. I see the lyrics they've posted at the Toolshed, a community funded endeavor, display this same lack of conveyance. I will now try to rectify what I feel is the loss. I think this is a powerful invocation, and for those who know of it in a crowd something wonderful can happen at its performance. But such is Tool, to a greater or lesser extent with or without that knowledge.

The song needs to be understood as the calling of and for an inner daimon, a higher genius invoked. It begins with an open and honest testimony of the state in which the subject under consideration is in. S/he is accepting and bringing into the working the wealth possessed by her, the pleasures s/he enjoys. And s/he would give it all away. While the song overtly alludes to the idea of another person, Jambi should more completely be understood in the vein of the mystics of divine love (see St. John of the Cross, for instance). As the remainder of the lyrics amply indicate, the individual is in the process of accepting where s/he is, engorged and laughing all the way to hell, and in a magnificent fashion remaining firm in the invocation of the divine. This also needs to be understood in the context especially of the Abramelin operation and the symbolism of the ritual work of what today is most easily called the Golden Dawn, inclusive of its various connections. To avoid getting too wordy, I'll just let the song show what I mean.

These lyrics are copied from Toolshed's page as of, July 31st, 2006. Some of the lyrics I am unsure of, and so the square bracketed remarks showing contention between different interpretations carries over from Toolshed. Where I have made changes I have deleted what was there, my insertions then being placed within curved brackets '{}'. Where relevant, I insert my comments for the understanding of the song also in curved brackets, following a double return setting them away from the lyrics.

Jambi

{Here from} the king's mountain view
{Here from} the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan, I do

{Here is the first self-declaration--I am indulgent, a king among men in some ways.}

But I would wish it all, away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

{and the recognition that there is an other, something to be addressed as an identity, a 'you', whose presence makes this indulgence trivial and irrelevant}

In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.

{Continuing with the process, the aspirant remarks on this aspect of the journey. We all have our devils, I suppose.}

So I, I would wish this all away

Pray like a [martyr / father] dusk to dawn

{I think perhaps the line is 'sent to the devil with my song', not 'shout'.}

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No price could hold sway
Or justify my
{middle way?, my center}

{This line I am not convinced of ('middle way' doesn't seem clear--it may be 'giving away'). But the notion that there is a 'center' belonging to the speaker now becomes the first direct textual indication that the gift which is wished to be kept before all the world is really something about ourselves, something we ARE in some sense (or at least have the potential to be)--here understood as a point of equilibrium.}

You're my piece of mind, {my AUM}
I said I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

{The object of this affection, this desire for continued close companionship, is one's piece of mind, the AUM}

Damn my eyes!

Damn my eyes!

{Oedipus, anyone? Ironically, it's only at the end of the play after Oedipus has gouged out his own eyes that he truly 'sees'.}

If they should compromise
A fulcrum {or fall from?}
{What you need....If I need this...
I might as well be gone...}

{The exact composition I am unclear of here, but the central message comes soon enough. This is the final declaration of the state s/he is in, before the instrumental which leads into the following.}

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed
Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one

{Here is the invocation. Here is the entrance into the central focus of the ritual, what the work signifies.}

{Divide heaven with a middle way,
Divide Adam with a middle way,}

{And this is the union, no radical dichotomy within us eternal, a devil and god to vaccilate between, but a middle way. For this one must understand qabala. Just do a google search for 'Adam Kadmon' and that will get you started. Note also the relevance and placement of the sphere of the sun on the tree of life--shine on benevolent sun. Tool knows what they're doing. This is a song for the union of god and man, the masses of humanity and the hosts of heaven. This is the Great Work of which little has been written and much understood. In concert, I imagine it can be spectacular. Just to have it present in the world today is an amazing token of the light bathing this planet right now. But I don't feel like talking politics.}

Shine down upon the many, light our way{s},
Benevolent sun.

{Again the invocation, now suffused not just among the broken and the severed, but out upon the many, lighting our ways.}

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day {in} season

{Ah, but there's else to be done, for the world is at a tipping point now. Best to remind us with a call to union, to survive another season. This should be the will of us all, if we have any sense of world affairs today. Personally I would be very suprised if I didn't see at least a low-grade nuclear device used in my lifetime. I'm of the opinion that most people in the middle east will glow in the dark before the end of the next decade. Damn it, got into politics anyway. Such should not be discussed in lodge, I'm told.}

{Silence Legion} save your poison
{Silence Legion} stay out of my way

Finally, a banishing of Spirits, to clear the field that the work may be done purely. In some rituals a given activity is finished by a forceful call to 'stand back' against any untoward spirits that may enter the consequence of the ritual as it is incorporated into our own ongoing experience. This is called a 'banishing' rite. The banishing ritual is very often the first solid piece of ritual work an aspirant is introduced to, as it helps in equilibrating the yearling as s/he prepares to make way into the world of subtle vibration. More progressive work usually follows, but this all depends on the tenor of the will of the student. Suffice it to say in this context, while some rituals are happy to end with no banishing, Jambi finishes its daimonic entreaty with a healthy declaration that the work here will not be spoiled by Legion. To understand who is Legion, see a New Testament, Matthew 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, Luke 8:26-39. Pray we aren't the pigs!

The song is meant to embolden us in the quest to pursue this goal, knowledge and conversation of the holy guardian angel, though Tool is too consciously removed from the imagery of the tradition to make the references overt. That's part of their art, after all. But the message is there nonetheless. This particular song I have found to be very dear to me.

In closing, I would like to say I hold no exclusivity for this reading. I imagine there are other ways to look at the song. But I think the notion I've conveyed here is true to the intentions of the band--it is closer to what they were consciously intending than anything else I've seen. Decide for yourselves. This song is but one piece of a much larger tapestry composing their artistry, and it paints a beautiful picture (the system).

Wishing You all the Best,

PS

SunBurN
08-02-2006, 01:33 PM
PS

Thank you from coming down to us from "the cosmos" and gracing us with your incredibly long, interpretation of what you think the lyrics are and the song is about.

Some of what you say I agree with, and other parts, well it's still continues the debate on many parts of this song that continues to go on here, and neither your lengthy description about what you think the song is about nor your corrections or version of the lyrics are going to hold any "sway" in my book. I'm waiting for "the man" to release them on www.toolband.com.

For the record, here's what I think the lyrics are from what I hear:

Jambi - Tool

Feast like a sultan I do
On treasures and flesh, never few.

But I, I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd Lose you just one day

In love with the dark side I'd found.
Dabble in all the way down
Up to my neck so to drown.

So I,
I,
I,
I,

I would
I would
I would
Wish this all away

Pray like a martyr dusk to dawn
Tempted the devil with my song

But I
And I would
If I could
And I would

Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No price could hold sway
Or justify my
Giving away, my center

If I thought tomorrow, They'd take you away
You're my piece/peace of mind, my all, my center
I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

Dim my eyes
Dim my eyes

Dim my eyes if they should compromise
our fulcrum want-and-need-divide-me-then
I-might-as-well
be gone

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

Shine on upon the severed

Divide Hell and wither it away
Divide Hell and wither it away

Shine on upon the many, light our way
Benevolent sun

Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
So as one survive
another day in season

Silence legions, save your poison
Silence legions, stay out of my way

The Corinthian
08-03-2006, 04:58 AM
I'm throwing in my vote for it being "tempted the devil with my song" as opposed to "shout to the devil with my song".

It seems like an ironic twist on making a deal with the devil. Instead of the devil coming and tempting you with riches for your soul, he tempted the devil first to get what he wanted all along.

BlanketEffect
08-03-2006, 06:35 AM
'[sheltered] the devil with my song' - as in sung the praises of the devil (in so many words)

'[kneeling] away my center'

I also think 'sun' might have originally been written as 'son' - a direct reference to Devo. Therefore the song can be read as 'son' and have a personal meaning to Maynard and his situation outlined in the song or as 'sun' and have a much broader scope. Maynard could be 'the broken/the severed' or the masses of humans could be. As such either 'sun' or 'son' make literary sense. - That and the fact that it has been widely accepted that the inspiration for this song is likely Maynard's son...

SunBurN
08-03-2006, 06:49 AM
'[sheltered] the devil with my song' - as in sung the praises of the devil (in so many words)

'[kneeling] away my center'

I also think 'sun' might have originally been written as 'son' - a direct reference to Devo. Therefore the song can be read as 'son' and have a personal meaning to Maynard and his situation outlined in the song or as 'sun' and have a much broader scope. Maynard could be 'the broken/the severed' or the masses of humans could be. As such either 'sun' or 'son' make literary sense. - That and the fact that it has been widely accepted that the inspiration for this song is likely Maynard's son...

Yeah I can go either way on sun/son but I don't hear "sheltered" at all. I clearly hear "tempted" and I always have since I first heard the song.

BlanketEffect
08-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Yeah, depending on which stereo/speakers/headphones I listen to it on I can hear 'sheltered' or 'tempted'...

I'm just thinking that 'tempted' makes not nearly as much sense, in relation to the rest of the stanza - but, that's just me.

Thirdeye11
08-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah, depending on which stereo/speakers/headphones I listen to it on I can hear 'sheltered' or 'tempted'...

I'm just thinking that 'tempted' makes not nearly as much sense, in relation to the rest of the stanza - but, that's just me.

I've always thought the lyric was "tempted" from day 1 when I first heard this album. Listened for other things but nothing sounds quite as appropriate.

When you say that "tempted" does not make sense, can you explain why not?

Terry21
08-03-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm waiting for "the man" to release them on www.toolband.com.

He will release them at toolshed.down.net. Toolband is Blair's shitty lair.

Terry21
08-03-2006, 08:35 AM
"no puertorican hoe"?

Terry21
08-03-2006, 08:38 AM
No seriously, I dare to say that he might is saying something else than Jambi eyes, damn my eyes or dim my eyes!!! It sounds like dimp my eyes! And there's this picture of this woman with bloody eyes live. Wtf.

Haha, this is what I found:

damp = "eyes moist with tears"

SunBurN
08-03-2006, 09:03 AM

Well I look at tempted as he tempted the devil with his soul as in was offering it but maybe didn't really intend to give it away and he's using "song" as a metaphore for his soul...and he got what he wanted (fame, riches etc) in the process.

I can't make any real sense out of "sheltered" in the context of the song however nor do I hear that no matter how hard I try...even in the live versions.

Thirdeye11
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't be posting in every single thread of a German band's lyrics trying to figure out what they were, because I don't live in Germany.

Terry21
08-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't be posting in every single thread of a German band's lyrics trying to figure out what they were, because I don't live in Germany.

Thanks, that was very kind.

My English is probably better than some of the American guys ones. Fuck you.

Tool is one of my favorite bands, and I don't see what gives you the right to say something like that.

A Spirit of Radio
08-03-2006, 09:08 AM
i think it is tempted too but sheltered makes sense as well in the sense that he allowed diabolical influences to grow in his life.

Thirdeye11
08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Well I look at tempted as he tempted the devil with his soul as in was offering it but maybe didn't really intend to give it away and he's using "song" as a metaphore for his soul...and he got what he wanted (fame, riches etc) in the process.

I can't make any real sense out of "sheltered" in the context of the song however nor do I hear that no matter how hard I try...even in the live versions.

I'm very confused as to why someone would "shelter" the devil.

Tempting the devil with his song makes perfect sense, for reasons you have pointed out here. He got what he wanted and the devil helped him, through his temptation. Like he was putting it out there going, ok here's something I want you to notice, now help me get what I want.

A Spirit of Radio
08-03-2006, 09:25 AM
did you read my post right above yours thirdeye?

sheltering the devil as one would shelter a new plant so that it can grow- sheltering the devil by allowing decadent behavior to be your primary expression-sex, drugs and rock & roll baby!

vedran
08-03-2006, 08:42 PM
feasting like a sultan on treasures and flesh, being in love with "the dark side", begging like a hooker, tempting the devil, and so on...sin type stuff. But that appearently might conflict with whoever the song is about, thus the wishing away. So how about:

Damn/Dim my eyes if they should compromise
OR FALL FROM WHAT SIN NEED DIVIDE ME
then I might as well be gone
eh??

Thirdeye11
08-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Who the fuck are you, to tell someone not to post in every thread?
What the fuck is this quote meant to mean?
He is trying to help figure out the lyrics and meaning of this and other songs, right or wrong who knows, but he is allowed his opinions as much as you, him, or hers.

Since clearly your not MJK or a MOD, don't tell someone not to help others on this board. Paraflux does a great job he doesn't need you to help.

When someone posts suggestions which are consistently wrong, I thought I should stop someone from embarrassing themselves. Who am I? Just another fan. No one special. I felt this was a language barrier. Consistently make bad suggestions and someone is likely to call you out on it, regardless of any factor.

So I was an asshole about it, get over it. Being blunt hasn't won me friends over the years, I'm not here to make friends, but to intelligently get to the bottom of various topics, including lyrical suggestions.

BlanketEffect
08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
feasting like a sultan on treasures and flesh, being in love with "the dark side", begging like a hooker, tempting the devil, and so on...sin type stuff. But that appearently might conflict with whoever the song is about, thus the wishing away. So how about:

Damn/Dim my eyes if they should compromise
OR FALL FROM WHAT SIN NEED DIVIDE ME
then I might as well be gone
eh??

He refers to his 'center' in the song.

'Dim my eyes if they should compromise our fulcrum
Wants and needs divide me then I might as well be gone'

Fulcrum is also a center, the balance point.

44&4
08-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Howzabout instead of "tempted", "shout to" (WTF?), "sheltered",...etc. try "ENCHANTED THE DEVIL WITH MY SONG"

Also, instead of "kneeling", "giving",etc...try "DEALING AWAY MY CENTER"

Both changes of those words make sense in the context of turning the tables on the "Devil" to come up with the result.."GOT WHAT I WANTED ALL ALONG", and "dealing away" covers making the traditional deal with the "Devil", where the recipient of the deal usually loses something very dear to him/her to get what they think they want at the time!

I dunno, just another silly monkey's 2 cents....

Terry21
08-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I heard some live recordings and thought it was definately something with sh, or sc (like sceptered), preferably sheltered. But then I got another recording in better quality and it was clear as day "tempted". I speaks it a little as a sh, but I'm pretty sure it's tempted. And at "Third Eye": Suggestions that are consistently wrong... That is like saying "your opinion is wrong". If somebody is in the opinion that the song goes like that, but is wrong, that is SURELY a reason to be an asshole to him, yes, I get you.

murph83
08-06-2006, 06:58 AM
so you all think it is Damn My Eyes, not Jam-bi ?

to me it sounds like "Damn my eyes......Jambi eyes.....Damn my eyes if they should...."

spacemonkeyadb
08-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I seriously don't get how anyone can hear "jambi eyes" in this song. I've listened for it but I cannot hear a "J" or a "B" sound to justify it.
All I can hear is DIM MY EYES x3 (possibly "damn" but if so it is sung to sound more like "dim").
I am starting to think that this "jambi eyes" thing is just some kind of weird joke.

BlanketEffect
08-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I hear the 'J' and 'B' sounds, but they are very subtle and I honestly think it's a coincidence. 'Dim my', sung in an impactful way (as it is in the song) could easily have a subtle "J" and "B" sound, depending on how he enunciated it and hold his lips when he released the words/syllables.

So maybe that is, sorta kinda, what he's saying, but not what he wrote it to be. Just a trick of the audio, in my opinion. I do hear it, though.

Terry21
08-06-2006, 04:04 PM
My vote goes for "damp my eyes". @ iota: Seriously. ;P Try it.

fraterps
08-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Thank you from coming down to us from "the cosmos" and gracing us with your incredibly long, interpretation of what you think the lyrics are and the song is about.

Why, you're welcome. I hope the remark about the post being incredibly long was tongue in cheek. Sorry, I don't write much for popular consumption, and I make no apologies for what I write when it aims at being comprehensive, which I think that post was for the most part, save proper referencing. As for coming down from the cosmos, I think you miss the location. Cosmos is literally 'order', but think of it like the universe. I am of the universe, hence I am ever at home. I didn't 'come from' anywhere--I've always been here. (though in truth, right now I'm seeing my brother in LA, I just got back from 6 months in Oxford, I'm currently living in Montana, and I'll be moving to start a grad program in Texas in a couple of weeks. The cosmos seemed easier to write.)

And thank you for your own version of the song, but I would have preferred a more detailed analysis of what I was trying to do. I haven't had much for responses on my reading of that song, however.

All the best,

PS

A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 11:00 AM
dim my eyes

.stereosonic
08-07-2006, 11:19 AM
There's clearly a "v" sound the first two times. As in "jambi I've, jambi I've, damn my eyes if.." etc. Can't say for sure what the exact lyrics are, but there's a definite V sound.

A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 12:24 PM
fraterp, i think a lot of people already tuned in to what you are feeling/thinking about this song but they just didn't write it in the same way that you do-which is quite sophisticated and rather dry. everyone gets that it's about someone who has over indulged in a decadent lifestyle and now regrets any damage that lifestyle has caused to valued relationships. we understand the multiple metaphors for benevolent son, as in the sun, jesus, maynard and his son devo.
i think it is wonderful that people insert their own experiences into their lyric exploration. even if they get the lyrics wrong as to what maynard wrote, they are exploring their own psyche and that's alway positive.

now go figure out rosetta stoned. :)

BlanketEffect
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM

I thought everyone had heard; it's about aliens and orange soda... oh, and something about Dustin Hoffman stealing someone's keys...

Alex in Chains
08-07-2006, 10:54 PM
dim my eyes

Damn my eyes.

And to anyone who thinks it's "Dim my eyes," damn your eyes.

fraterps
08-07-2006, 11:10 PM
fraterp, i think a lot of people already tuned in to what you are feeling/thinking about this song but they just didn't write it in the same way that you do-which is quite sophisticated and rather dry. everyone gets that it's about someone who has over indulged in a decadent lifestyle and now regrets any damage that lifestyle has caused to valued relationships. we understand the multiple metaphors for benevolent son, as in the sun, jesus, maynard and his son devo.
i think it is wonderful that people insert their own experiences into their lyric exploration. even if they get the lyrics wrong as to what maynard wrote, they are exploring their own psyche and that's alway positive.

Spirit,

I'll have to agree with BlanketEffect here. As far as I can tell, Rosetta Stoned is pretty straightforward. There are a few remarks of nuance that could be brought up, but I guess I don't see anything more that needs figuring out. Did you have something particular in mind, Spirit? Or is that 'A Spirit', or 'A Spirit of Radio'?

As for Jambi, I have to disagree with what you've written. I've done quite a bit more than talk about decadence conflicting with the relationships we have with other people. I'm talking about the full-on (vicarious?) appropriation of the content of the notion being expressed throughout the song. Jambi is a powerful statement of that self-assessment and perseverance which characterize a vigorous pursuit of the divine. I've not been trading references to familial patterns with comments on the generic correspondences between different 'suns', I'm speaking (I hope in union with Tool, and you all) for the urge to pursue the divine. And I've done so with a fairly pronounced dissection of the song, or instead, a dissectional of it. For there are, as you would have said, other ways to slice the song. The point is, I put forth and argued for the justification of a specific slice. I don't need to be told 'yeah but there are other ways of looking at it'. I know that. But now I'm just trying to goad you on, and that discussion doesn't seem forthcoming.

You wrote:

On the whole I have tried to keep my own personal experiences with this notion tied to the enjoyment of the song when I listen to it. I have attempted in this present context to offer the view as correct despite, not because of, my own subjectivity.

And I agree. Interpretation can always be an investigation of the self, if we reflect on the directions we're taking and how they relate to us (our sense of self). It can also be a means to explore ourselves in the larger picture, by consciously, willfully, engaging in this process in the world and watching to study the 'macroscopic' results. But the point at issue turns on this very idea. For I'm not saying this is just another 'personal interpretation' where I get to share the banal narcisisms of my own self-reflections (I don't imagine any of us are consciously intending that). What instead I intend to be doing is conferring the notion of the intentions of the band in the composition and performance of Jambi, not exclusively, but certainly in an area of which they were consciously aware and actively exploring. I further imagine they want this notion to be conferred, though I don't think giving my own rather 'sophisticated and dry' exposition to every listener would be beneficial to anyone. The song communicates the idea far more robustly from that visceral standpoint of our embodied existence, while the noumenal conferrence I'm now attempting is far more, well, dry. It is also, I trust, easy to follow and genuinely communicative. Language will be a barrier for some, but that's why God made a dictionary.

In closing, I wish you the best.

A Spirit of Radio
08-08-2006, 06:48 AM
thanks maynard

A Spirit of Radio
08-08-2006, 06:52 AM
dim my eyes....... all the way to hell:)

Terry21
08-08-2006, 03:53 PM
"damp my eyes".

Rosenbarger13
08-08-2006, 08:27 PM
here from*

I too think it's here, although Hid from the kings mountain veiw makes sence too. But I am very sure at leat the second one is "here"

Terry21
08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
It could be:

Hear from the wild dream come true

Rosenbarger13
08-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Maybe, but it doesn't make much sence to me. I really do think it's Here for both

BlanketEffect
08-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Guys... it's 'here'

From the king's mountain view he feasts like a sultan. He's not hidden from the king's mountain view. He's on top of it, like a king. He's saying he's there at the top of the world, but he'd wish it away.

And if it were 'hid' it'd actually be written 'hidden' - 'hid' would be really poor grammer, and I think we've established that unless for specific effect Maynard doesn't use English poorly.

Terry21
08-10-2006, 05:01 AM
Maybe, but it doesn't make much sence to me. I really do think it's Here for both

Maynard is up there, Maynard is in the king's mountain view and we shall hear from his story of how his wild dream came true.

fantomas
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I think in the beginning he says "my treasures in flesh never few"

HanInCarbonite
08-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I know he doesnt sing it but I like to sing my own lyrics anyway to this part....

"shine on forever, shine on forever, then some"

I mean that would me kind of cool. Cause forever is forever but you can beat forever with "then some". Always remember if someone says forever about something, do them one better and say "forever and then some".

Well, there's my 2 cents for today!!

zsw
08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
There is no "Which," in question here. Jambi is a word with one meaning. That meaning is referenced in and thus confirmed by the lyrics. And I never said it was obvious (Can anyone on this forum actually claim to have known that Jambi was an Indonesian province before it was a Tool song? Don't answer- I'm sure that some of you did- the vast majority of us didn't.). However; given that there has been a whole crap load of research going on into this for over two months now; and that nobody can find any justification for the "Jam-bye" pronunciation that doesn't rely solely upon speculation while simultaneously ignoring the Indonesian subplot; and that the lyrics make numerous references to the history of provincial Jambi; there just isn't a leg upon which your argument can stand. The name of the song is pronounced "Johm-bee," and Maynard never says it in the song- and I will champion that point tirelessly until somebody produces a substantive (not speculative) argument against it.

Something closer to the answer is contained in the latest toolband newsletter. Jambi is Finnish, though this does not solve the issue of whether or not it is said in the song, and if so, how it is pronounced. Any Finnish-speaking people able to elabourate on the pronounciation?

ir0man
08-17-2006, 06:53 AM
I posted this in the Jambi subject because I didn't see this area for lyric posting lol my bad :(
Anyways bam here it is:

Not Damn my eyes
Not Jambi

Jam my eyes!
Seems to make sense to me and to the rest of the lyrics :D
Along the lines of Slipknot's song, jam [my fingers into] my eyes and it distracts from the pain.

Terry21
08-17-2006, 07:18 AM
People already said that, see bottom thread in the "What's he saying?" forum. I think it is "damp my eyes", as in fill my eyes with tears.

Cycloz
08-17-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSvmGJQw7xc

Positive now there is no J sound, gonna have to agree with Terry21 that it's "damp my eyes".

zsw
08-17-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSvmGJQw7xc

Positive now there is no J sound, gonna have to agree with Terry21 that it's "damp my eyes".

"damp my eyes" this is a joke right?

Siel Yardman
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Something closer to the answer is contained in the latest toolband newsletter. Jambi is Finnish, though this does not solve the issue of whether or not it is said in the song, and if so, how it is pronounced. Any Finnish-speaking people able to elabourate on the pronounciation?

in the finnish language you prounce "J's" with a ya sound.

So Jani would be pronounced like yanni. or tarja is pronounced as tariya.

where did you get it was finnish, i'll ask my finnish friend if he knows what that is or has heard/used it before.

Terry21
08-18-2006, 10:28 AM
"damp my eyes" this is a joke right?

Why? Gramatically it would be correct: "Gigantic airships aim to damp forest fires."

Definition: slightly wet; "clothes damp with perspiration"; "a moist breeze"; "eyes moist with tears"

And I definately hear it in every single recording.

spacemonkeyadb
08-18-2006, 04:20 PM
^ It's OK grammatically, but it would be a really weird and unusual thing to say in English. It's really not very likely (though better than "Jambi eyes" IMO!).

BlanketEffect
08-18-2006, 10:09 PM
^Yes. Dim/Damn make sense gramatically and actually make sense in the song.

'Damp my eyes" ? So he's saying he should cry if his eyes compromise his fulcrum? That makes no damn sense. 'Dim' them, on the other hand, would be like saying gouge them out if they betray his intentions.

Terry21
08-19-2006, 02:34 AM

'Damp my eyes" ? So he's saying he should cry if his eyes compromise his fulcrum? That makes no damn sense. 'Dim' them, on the other hand, would be like saying gouge them out if they betray his intentions.

Yeah, the sense is a stupid thing, I thought something like "make me cry".

swampyfool
08-26-2006, 01:42 PM
So in the "Shine on" section, at the end we seem to be pretty sure about "Shine down upon the many, light our way . . ." Recent listens on my month-long roadtrip of the American West have me thinking that the last word is not "way," but "wave." Anybody else hear that?

Alex in Chains
08-26-2006, 09:05 PM

You know, I've never been sold on "fulcrum," as I can't really imagine it making sense. It sure sounds that way, but I really doubt that's the word.

spacemonkeyadb
08-26-2006, 09:21 PM
^ "Fulcrum" makes perfect sense. A fulcrum is a pivot point on which something may be balanced. Think of the base of a playground see-saw. The song speaks of balancing his wants and needs, keeping his center, and maintaining this fulcrum. To "compromise his fulcrum" would be to compromise that which is enabling him to maintain a balance between his wants and needs.

Alex in Chains
08-26-2006, 09:35 PM
^ "Fulcrum" makes perfect sense. A fulcrum is a pivot point on which something may be balanced. Think of the base of a playground see-saw. The song speaks of balancing his wants and needs, keeping his center, and maintaining this fulcrum. To "compromise his fulcrum" would be to compromise that which is enabling him to maintain a balance between his wants and needs.

Thank you, Professor. I know what a fulcrum is. But the way this is phrased in all the most common lyrical estimates -- "if they should compromise a fulcrum" -- is just silly. It's awkward, it's needlessly vague ("a" fulcrum as opposed to "the fulcrum," and if the meaning is the way you think it is, I think he would use "the" or "my"), and it sounds pedantic, almost like he -- or perhaps his fans in their interpretations -- wants to show off his fourth-grade science vocabulary. I will openly admit that I could be and probably am wrong, and when the official lyrics are made public, the song will probably make more sense. But to say "Damn my eyes if they should compromise a fulcrum" makes "perfect sense" is . . . well, insane.

Alex in Chains
08-26-2006, 09:37 PM
And I definately hear it in every single recording.

Interesting thought, but I personally don't hear a "p" in any of them.

spacemonkeyadb
08-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Pretty sure I'm not insane, and I didn't mean to insult your intelligence by explaining the obvious. It just seemed safer to explain it fully than to make any assumptions about what you may or may not know (all I had to go on was that you didn't think it made sense).
I agree with your point on "a fulcrum" being awkward, but I think the lyric is "compromise our fulcrum" which I still believe makes perfect sense.

Terry21
08-27-2006, 03:21 AM
Interesting thought, but I personally don't hear a "p" in any of them.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=53720D697C9607D1

Left clicky.

Check out how he's screaming at the end, haha!

Alex in Chains
08-27-2006, 11:16 AM
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=53720D697C9607D1

Left clicky.

Check out how he's screaming at the end, haha!

I hear it there.

chonus
08-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Although I've been singing, "tempted the devil with my song," upon further listening I have come to the conclusion that it is most definately, "shout to the devil..." (thanks to those on this thread who mentioned this).

Terry21
08-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Although I've been singing, "tempted the devil with my song," upon further listening I have come to the conclusion that it is most definately, "shout to the devil..." (thanks to those on this thread who mentioned this).

After listening to various live files, I was sure it was something with SH, but then I heard one real clear file and I heard him say "tempted" very clearly.

Alex in Chains
08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
I just noticed the lyrics in the Lyrics section and this thread say "piece of mind." It's "peace of mind," unless you're making a pun, which I don't think Maynard is here.

swampyfool
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
So in the "Shine on" section, at the end we seem to be pretty sure about "Shine down upon the many, light our way . . ." Recent listens on my month-long roadtrip of the American West have me thinking that the last word is not "way," but "wave." Anybody else hear that?

Maybe it's a dumb thought, but . . .

BUMP

Steedus
08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
jambi was ruled by a sultan until it was overrun by the dutch right?
so 'here from the kings mountain view' here from meaning he doesn't have that view anymore. 'feast like a sultan'
anyone else think this song is about the immenent doom of america? invasion by the chinese maybe?

i think all the lyrics sung 'before' the 'solo' are from the point of view of someone who is about to, or simply afraid of losing power (i can think of someone)
and i think all the lyrics 'after' the 'solo' are sung from the perspective of someone looking to resolve some situation in a positive and forgiving way (i can think of someone else for that)
but the last lines "silence leech and save your poison/stay out of my way" ?
maynard only knows.