PDA

View Full Version : Muddy water = oil Did everybody miss this???

brett caldwell
04-26-2006, 05:49 AM
"Eyeballs deep in muddy waters, you practically raised the dead."

-I think this reflects the greed for oil that the American government is so famous for.

The line "you practically raised the dead", solidifies the notion that muddy water refers to oil, since oil comes from the organic decay left over by dead animals and plants deep within the ground. Hence the name “fossil fuels"

but the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle then burn the evidence down" definitely hits it home.

-digging for oil is grave robbery

The oil is the object of theft, and the ground that contains the deceased animals and plants is the grave.

after robbing the grave humans "snow the cradle then burn the evidence down"

-this alludes to the pollution** that has resulted from the use of fossil fuels, and how it is killing the earth, which may ultimately lead to the extinction of the human species

the cradle refers to the earth, since it is the place where humanity came from

by destroying the planet (our cradle), the evidence of humanity’s greed for the "muddy water" is eliminated

**snow could also refer to the "nuclear winter" that would be the result of nuclear war. Another topic of hypocrisy for the American government. (isn't it funny how you never ever hear of weapon inspections in the United States)

the rest of the song seems to focus on the fact that the American government has created many criminals (kangeroo court) by introducing their fucked up “War on Drugs,” (man, those American leaders sure like their wars) which is arguably one of the most futile and pointless endeavours, and is a complete waste of tax-payers money.

Specifically the song refers to marijuana prohibition, and how hypocritical it is for the government to “wave their fingers” at people who use a substance that was made illegal based on “shady inference” and, as it has been argued by many, racial reasons.

“Eyeballs deep in muddy water, fucking hypocrite”

The American government throws people in prison for using a substance that is safer*** than Tylenol, but doesn’t arrest the people who kill for oil. Fucking hypocrites!!

***DEA administrative law judge Francis L. Young stated in 1988 that “Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.”

there is lots more to say about the hypocrisy of marijuana prohibition, (way too much to include here) but there is tons of information available out there for those who wish to read more about the American government “pissing over (many) black kettles”

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=marijuana&gwp=13

anyways kids, I’m tired from my rant. Tool ya later.

ps. quite possibly favourite song on the album

randomhero8823
04-26-2006, 05:52 AM
wow, i know now! good find

von satan
04-26-2006, 01:38 PM
good post dude, IMO you are spot on... kudos

spiralout11235
04-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I agree completely. That also fits with Maynard's hatred for Lawyers.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Love the theory!!! You have given me a few insights I wasn't aware of regarding the topic of the song. And it sounds DEAD ON. It is obviously a very political song, although not done literally, like we would expect and desire from a Tool song. And the damn thing just rocks too, did I mention that.

So "The Pot", well first off that is how a dumbass redneck conservative (such as you know who) refers to Marijuana, which is just really funny. And of course you have the hypocrasy figure of speech. And I've read a few people speculating of other things too. In regards to your post - maybe oil = "The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" (that of course doesn't exist and is a fallacy). Well how the song starts with Maynard voicing it like Jonie Mitchell, is obviously a sort of "here comes our political song" heads up. Done so damn well though, obviously it has REALLY gotten us thinking. Love the I, IIIIII!!!!! too - undoubtedly Plant right there.

fearxile
04-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I watched a show about pot. Talked about the people who first banned it in the 20s or 30's or something. They said it was because all the illegal immigrants in the United States. They thought if they banned pot they could get them out, cause they were taking a lot of jobs from citizens. I really did see this, on the history channel or TLC, cant remember

ThreeDeviations
04-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Great post Brett-

Jayar
04-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah I watched some documentary at school narrated by Woody Harrelson. Apparently the mexicans brought it in.

ThreeDeviations
04-26-2006, 07:45 PM
The Pot calling the kettle black-

kyyuulle
04-26-2006, 08:35 PM
nice drop in, three deviations!

Alex in Chains
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
This is silly.

P-Digi
04-27-2006, 12:40 PM

-I think this reflects the greed for oil that the American government is so famous for.

The line "you practically raised the dead", solidifies the notion that muddy water refers to oil, since oil comes from the organic decay left over by dead animals and plants deep within the ground. Hence the name “fossil fuels"

but the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle then burn the evidence down" definitely hits it home.

The oil is the object of theft, and the ground that contains the deceased animals and plants is the grave.

definitely insightful and probably correct. I just want to point out that I've been high on "muddy water" before and it was a tall glass of bourbon and water. yum.

blair's man sausage
04-27-2006, 12:51 PM
i'm inclined to agree with those who stated good post....interesting take

MOMOwheeler
04-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I watched a show about pot. Talked about the people who first banned it in the 20s or 30's or something. They said it was because all the illegal immigrants in the United States. They thought if they banned pot they could get them out, cause they were taking a lot of jobs from citizens. I really did see this, on the history channel or TLC, cant remember

This is slighty off topic but I cant resist.

Yes, marijuana prohibition was enforced because they were pissed at hispanics.... but that wasnt thier official reasoning.

Watch Reafer Madness.... the original was a government propeganda film (amonst other films, but it was the most popular).

In a nutshell, the government told people that Pot made men into rapist-murderors and women into suicidal whores. They drilled and drilled and drilled this phylosophy into the american public until they ALL bought it hook, line and sinker.

I'm shocked that T00L has never mentioned any of this in their material over the years.

rocco
04-27-2006, 04:18 PM

After Prohibition, the gov't. was left with all these extra cops with nothing to raid, so they created an anti-drug prohibition. They made illegal cocaine (used primarily by blacks), pot (blacks and hispanics) and opium (chinese). Then the cops had a purpose once more.

As for the song vis-a-vis oil, I think that it's there; but like any tool song, it's abstract to allow for multiple interpretations. At the very core, it's about indignation in the face of an amoral power which uses moralistic propaganda to control the people.

prime weed
04-27-2006, 07:25 PM
i always wanna get high when i hear this song, maynard tells me to get high..... who woulda thought?

i knew it was about pot, i was the 1st to say so.

Alex in Chains
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM

-this alludes to the pollution** that has resulted from the use of fossil fuels, and how it is killing the earth, which may ultimately lead to the extinction of the human species

the cradle refers to the earth, since it is the place where humanity came from

by destroying the planet (our cradle), the evidence of humanity’s greed for the "muddy water" is eliminated

**snow could also refer to the "nuclear winter" that would be the result of nuclear war. Another topic of hypocrisy for the American government. (isn't it funny how you never ever hear of weapon inspections in the United States)

the rest of the song seems to focus on the fact that the American government has created many criminals (kangeroo court) by introducing their fucked up “War on Drugs,” (man, those American leaders sure like their wars) which is arguably one of the most futile and pointless endeavours, and is a complete waste of tax-payers money.

Specifically the song refers to marijuana prohibition, and how hypocritical it is for the government to “wave their fingers” at people who use a substance that was made illegal based on “shady inference” and, as it has been argued by many, racial reasons.

“Eyeballs deep in muddy water, fucking hypocrite”

The American government throws people in prison for using a substance that is safer*** than Tylenol, but doesn’t arrest the people who kill for oil. Fucking hypocrites!!

***DEA administrative law judge Francis L. Young stated in 1988 that “Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.”

there is lots more to say about the hypocrisy of marijuana prohibition, (way too much to include here) but there is tons of information available out there for those who wish to read more about the American government “pissing over (many) black kettles”

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=marijuana&gwp=13

anyways kids, I’m tired from my rant. Tool ya later.

ps. quite possibly favourite song on the album

Um . . . no.

undeniable dilemma
04-28-2006, 10:18 AM
TOOL has said that this album is not a political album.

bellamadia
04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
TOOL has said that this album is not a political album.

Well that seems true, however that doesn't mean that a song on this album cannot have a politic meaning.

magnolia
04-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Exactly. The album obviously isn't political. But Maynard said it deals with things he's been personally affected by and frustrated with. And it's obvious that he's frustrated with the Bush Administration.

Great post by the way (brett caldwell).

smeefsmeef
04-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Dude, you should run for President

Rhah
04-30-2006, 03:58 AM
Nice post. Not sure if its correct, but you made some interesting points.

One thing to add; about the line "Rob the grave to snow the cradle".
Going with your oil analogy, "the cradle" could be referring to the Middle east, which is known as the "Cradle of civilisation" (especially the area around Baghdad in Iraq)