PDA

View Full Version : Best lyrical trickery in the song

tiryth
04-25-2006, 09:52 AM
As we all know, Maynard is fantastic at lyrical melody and acrobatics but when he sings

"what are they gonna do when the lights go down" during this song is just the most fantastical piece of singing i think ive heard in a long LONG time

crimble
04-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure what you are saying about "lyrical trickery"

I always thought that to be lyrics like "and in between [sniffs/sips] of coke"

spiralout11235
04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
He does sing that line really well, but regarding "lyrical trickery" I was thinking more along the lines of what Crimble is talking about.

#Notion
04-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Or my favorite, 'he did it all for yoo-hoo' (the drink) (judith)

AlltheteainChina
04-26-2006, 06:07 PM
You know that part, he's like "It's time now, my time now, etc" I'm pretty positive it's supposed to simultaneously sound like "It's thai now, muy thai now", as in the style of kickboxing. Think about it. Muy thai kickboxing is really fuckin sweet, so I don't blame them for including this in the song. THAT"S what I call lyrical trickery. You're welcome, problem solved. I'll be back when I find some more amazing parallels, like sloppy joes or mustaches or something.

tiryth
04-27-2006, 08:20 AM
ok so i should have put melodical trickery then

MarcDrums
04-27-2006, 08:24 AM
i totally agree

i know i havent heard this before.. but i feel like its a familiar melody

soberschism
04-29-2006, 04:46 AM
every one can say such things, but noone can create this in such a melody..

MarcDrums
04-29-2006, 05:57 AM
every one can say such things, but noone can create this in such a melody..
definitely

unfitt
04-29-2006, 06:31 AM
i love that part too.

and this bit gives me chills: Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father..

wowwww

unfnknblvbl
04-29-2006, 07:09 AM
my favourite bit is;

You are the only one who can hold your head up high, shake your fist at gates, saying; "I've come home now!"
"Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father, tell them their pillar of [pause] faith has ascended.."

That pause! OMG! It's only the slightest break in the melody, but it's enough to really accentuate what he's about to say.. there's another one, too;

you were my witness, my [pause] eyes, my evidence...

Oh yes...

Camo23
04-30-2006, 03:14 AM
This entire song is brilliant, but the lyric

"Shake your fist at the gates saying 'I have come now',
Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father,
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
"Its my time now, my time now. Give me my, give me my wings"

just completely blows me away. One of my highlights on the album.

TSarge
05-01-2006, 07:20 PM
i love that part too.

and this bit gives me chills: Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father..

wowwww

On the same page. Can you believe how bold it is to say that? Same as the part "Should you see your makers face tonight, tell him...... (some more lines).... It's time for you to bring me home." It would take some balls to say that to your maker, whoever it may be.

The beauty of it is that Maynard truly expresses the right that his mother has earned to speak like that...

Stev
05-01-2006, 07:49 PM
You know that part, he's like "It's time now, my time now, etc" I'm pretty positive it's supposed to simultaneously sound like "It's thai now, muy thai now", as in the style of kickboxing. Think about it. Muy thai kickboxing is really fuckin sweet, so I don't blame them for including this in the song. THAT"S what I call lyrical trickery. You're welcome, problem solved. I'll be back when I find some more amazing parallels, like sloppy joes or mustaches or something.

LMFAO. Chicken, bacon and now muy thai. The thematic layering of this album continues to thicken.

You are the only one who can hold your head up high, shake your fist at gates, saying; "I've come home now!"
"Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father, tell them their pillar of [pause] faith has ascended.."

That pause! OMG! It's only the slightest break in the melody, but it's enough to really accentuate what he's about to say.. there's another one, too;

That's my favourite part in the song too, but that's more from harmonic trickery rather than lyrical or melodic trickery.

Let's just agree Maynard's a tricky bastard :)