PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stoned

xineax
04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Haven't listened to the album. Leaning toward it not being a hoax. But wouldn't Tool be savvy enough to do something with encryption?

I keep thinking about the titles like Rosetta Stoned and Lost Keys. There's something there--perhaps a form of audio steganography (hiding a message in digital audio)?

That would be a neat little gimmick and it can be done quite easily.

spiiiral
04-25-2006, 12:31 PM
explain?

a_sirian_in_agony
04-25-2006, 12:44 PM
i think hes getting at like...them saying something in the songs...like.....your all a bunch of fucking allholes for downloading our music....or something...

xineax
04-25-2006, 01:50 PM
explain

i think hes getting at like...them saying something in the songs...like.....your all a bunch of fucking allholes for downloading our music....or something...

Similar to this.

One can basically have two volumes on a disc without revealing that there are indeed two volumes. The hidden volume contains your special data and the other volume contains the regular files. One would need a key to load the contents on hidden volume (lost keys and rosetta stoned). You could also store hidden messages, etc within an MP3/M4A/any digital file.

This is about as out there as any idea, but it can be done quite easily and if Tool knew anything about it, I wouldn't put that past them although I still don't endorse the hoax theory. Still that stereoscopic art makes you think... ;)

Lagomorph
04-25-2006, 01:59 PM
how would you check?

xineax
04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
how would you check?
If it was a volume within a volume, it's very hard to check. I don't even know about the mp3/m4a files, which may have very well come from the band or their associates.

Not a steganalysis guy, only know it's possible. Maybe there's a cracker on this board that knows.

phaedrus9779
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't put it past Tool to do something like that. Just a coincidence i think, but there is a type of Vector Steganography by a guy named David A. Huffman. Perhaps its: Lost Keys (Blame Huffman)? It would be an interesting play on words between Hoffman and Huffman. Maybe even using LSD (Hoffman) to find the Lost Keys to reveal some secret life message hidden by steganography. Or perhaps Tool fans just read into things too much. Its still fun to look for easter eggs though.

http://www.quantdec.com/Articles/steganography/huffman.htm

xineax
04-25-2006, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't put it past Tool to do something like that. Just a coincidence i think, but there is a type of Vector Steganography by a guy named David A. Huffman. Perhaps its: Lost Keys (Blame Huffman)? It would be an interesting play on words between Hoffman and Huffman. Maybe even using LSD (Hoffman) to find the Lost Keys to reveal some secret life message hidden by steganography. Or perhaps Tool fans just read into things too much. Its still fun to look for easter eggs though.

http://www.quantdec.com/Articles/steganography/huffman.htm

Yes, in MP3 algorithms there's something called Huffman encoding...never thought of that. What a clustered theory.

muzza
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
The spoken lyrics in Rosetta Stoned sound a lot like Mike Patton

DRoehl
04-25-2006, 06:37 PM
I thought that they might do something like after you buy the cd you use a code that came with it or you use the cd it self to get something from the internet as in you buy the 10000 days cd and with it you are able to unlock other tracks and DL them or something... but at this point I am REALLY starting to reach for something... any thing