PDA

View Full Version : This song in time...

#Notion
04-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Ok, I was one of the ones that was pretty critical when the single first dropped. Many a fanboy was lit when I openly professed my dislikes along with others about the direction of the new tool we were hearing. I thought it was pretty bland.

But driving to a friend's today, I let vicarious play, and it was like I suddenly heard it with different ears. It was the last song on a burned Salival CD, and seeing as there aren't many songs on salival I thought I'd throw it on there. The song was amazing, I found the lyrical content and singing style to be somewhat playful, and suddenly I realized how the song was purposely not very deep, yet still carried a strong message, and delivered on all four tool fronts.

It's funny how different music can be when you're not hearing it with a predetermined mindset. I can see now how I was building up the release and anticipating the new songs a little too much, and it skewed my perception and ability to be able to listen to a somewhat simple and punchy song like vicarious.

Just thought anyone who had any kind of 'stance' on vicarious might like to know what some of the naysayers think now.

Phorcany
04-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Absolutely , I had the same experience. Even when I was A little annoyed by it at first I still listened to it alot because .. well it was new tool. Now every time I listen to it I'm like "This shit is awsome, what was I thinking?"
I remember how long it took me to get use to tool in the first place. But I mostly thought it was because I was just transitioning into heavier music. But This song has what I love the most about tool , the same kind of song structure as lateralus. Not that I want them to repeat themselves with the new album , but I just love the way the lateralus songs moved.

usa4jer
04-24-2006, 05:39 PM
...and delivered on all four tool fronts.What exactly are said "fronts"?

dracomordag
04-24-2006, 05:45 PM
danny, maynard, justin, adam

#Notion
04-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Man I thought I wouldn't have to explain that one

usa4jer
04-24-2006, 05:50 PM
danny, maynard, justin, adamI see. And this "Tool" of which you speak, what's that? Some kind of tool or something?

Heh heh.

k~nug
04-25-2006, 03:02 AM
while I did like it at first, I was a little confused at the whole new sound. It definitely was not what I was expecting. When I see people type that in the forums, it usually has a negative connotation. But, It wasn't negative for me at all, just different. After many listens, I realize this song kicks so much ass, it actually kicked too much ass for me to handle and I almost 'missed' it. Now it is one of my favorites on the record. yay tool for doing the unexpected again and again. It was so worth the 5 year wait. They never let me down.

<<I almost puke from my own fanboyness, but I don't give a fuck. Tool is the shit.

wearethestories
05-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Absolutely , I had the same experience. Even when I was A little annoyed by it at first I still listened to it alot because .. well it was new tool. Now every time I listen to it I'm like "This shit is awsome, what was I thinking?"
I remember how long it took me to get use to tool in the first place.

Exactly.