PDA

View Full Version : This song will entice non-tool fans.

randomhero8823
04-24-2006, 04:39 PM
You think? Given the "catchiness" to it. and the high metaphors and the beggining vocals, i think this song will be a radio HIT! mark my words.

tool/rush/mars
04-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Yes i expect it to be their second single. I am an "OGT" so to speak. And I find this to be one of their best songs, regardless of the fact that it is catchy. Just because it's catchy doesn't make it not good.

A lot of people are bashing this song, because it is indeed catchy. I honestly thought Tool was going to go more commercial anyhow and this album seems less commercial than Lateralus overall. Sure Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot could all be possible radio songs. Still, this album is progressive.

The Pot has one of the best "grooves" i've heard in a song in a long time. The bass line just makes you want to dance, nothing wrong with that.

randomhero8823
04-24-2006, 04:46 PM
no there isnt

SiGuy
04-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Yes i expect it to be their second single. I am an "OGT" so to speak. And I find this to be one of their best songs, regardless of the fact that it is catchy. Just because it's catchy doesn't make it not good.

A lot of people are bashing this song, because it is indeed catchy. I honestly thought Tool was going to go more commercial anyhow and this album seems less commercial than Lateralus overall. Sure Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot could all be possible radio songs. Still, this album is progressive.

The Pot has one of the best "grooves" i've heard in a song in a long time. The bass line just makes you want to dance, nothing wrong with that.

what are you talking about? a Big part of tools music is that they DONT want it to be catchy."our music isnt something you can put on and tap your toe too.... you have to interact with it"-MJK + DC(in the Austrailian channel V "hour of TooL" i think) how could you, an original gangsta, possibly feel this way?

SiGuy
04-25-2006, 12:15 AM

Rezbit
04-25-2006, 12:54 AM
I doubt this...purely because the starting vocals are scary...

xciled
04-25-2006, 01:35 AM
its bringing a helluva lotta old TOOL "fans" I know back, with a vengence I might add...repeat buttons should be banned when controlled by a lunatic.

randomhero8823
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
this song makes me wanna be a rock star

DON IOTAE
04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
You think? Given the "catchiness" to it. and the high metaphors and the beggining vocals, i think this song will be a radio HIT! mark my words.

I second that...

It's very catchy and Maynard's vocals are awesome. I love that type of experimentation...

DON IOTAE
04-25-2006, 08:48 AM
The first song that caught my ear after Vic was Pot. I just loved it instantly. the vocals are kinda corny, but whatcha gonna do about it...

"Foot in mouth and head up asshole
whatcha talkin bout..."

I mean, really.

mousersix
04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
iota- look farther into the meaning of the lyrics than that. The Pot is a sarcastic social and political commentary. things aren't always as they seem.

Oh yeah, and I agree with this being the second single. Followed closely by Jambi.

macfreak
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I love the pot maynard vocals are so good ..but this wont be the single they would never do it...Jambi or right in two next single, they dont need to catch no one else 10,000 days goes number 1 as lateralus and they swim in money while

psychodad
04-25-2006, 10:31 AM

I agree with this post, and yes I am an "OGT" too. Maybe not one of their top 10 songs, but outside Tool, best song in last...ummm...20+ years. So not too shabby ;)

And yes, the groove really makes you move, I am by no means a person who would dance, but with this one I am moving. I'm feeling it!

slicknickshady
04-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I think it will be The Pot as the 2nd single but Jambi is only about 22 seconds longer then Vicarious. So it's either one of those.

a788
04-25-2006, 12:21 PM

that was one of my first thoughts after listening to it for the first time

slicknickshady
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
"Eyeballs deep in muddy waters fucking hipocrits"

ljasonl
04-25-2006, 01:06 PM
what are you talking about? a Big part of tools music is that they DONT want it to be catchy."our music isnt something you can put on and tap your toe too.... you have to interact with it"-MJK + DC(in the Austrailian channel V "hour of TooL" i think) how could you, an original gangsta, possibly feel this way?

That quote means they don't try to make music that's catchy and it usually doesn't come out that way
It doesn't mean they actively DON'T want it to be catchy. They're not sitting around going "This song's too catchy, we gotta ditch it." That's dumb

Wingedson
04-25-2006, 01:08 PM
The Pot has one of the best "grooves" i've heard in a song in a long time. The bass line just makes you want to dance, nothing wrong with that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the bass line is bad ass. It rocks and it has a sweet dance groove to it...this song reaches all sorts of places Tool or any other band has never gone before..truly amazing...I wasnt sure what I thought the first time I heard it...it comes together amazingly though

insaner
04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
this song exposes all the lame ass radio bands alive. they will all quit after this is released to rock radio. the bar has been raised. tool 4/4 yep. this is a song ive always wished tool would do, just to see what the best band alive could do with a regular radio jam. i was not disappointed.

Carbonatedgravy
04-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Damn, you guys make me want to like the song too. But if that happens it'll take quite a few more listens.

hbynoe
04-25-2006, 10:42 PM
i agree just edit ass and fucking out and yes you have a great friendly radio song..this has a lot of rocking and dancing in it..i love when bands do something completely unexpected

drumtool
04-25-2006, 11:56 PM
honestly i dont think it will be a single, why?-because hooker never made it and neither did 46&2 or even lateralus(the song). well not in aus anyway.

drumtool
04-25-2006, 11:58 PM
but when i hear i just want to play my drums

randomhero8823
04-26-2006, 04:52 PM
this will be #1 on rock charts i think

AlltheteainChina
04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
honestly i dont think it will be a single, why?-because hooker never made it and neither did 46&2 or even lateralus(the song). well not in aus anyway.

Eh, maybe not technically released as a single (but it probably will, I mean, what else can they release to radio?) but 46&2 gets played all the damn time around here, and i've even heard lateralus a couple times.

zonads
04-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I sold my computer two weeks ago... can't get Bit Torrent at work... oh well

enjoy!

DON IOTAE
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
iota- look farther into the meaning of the lyrics than that. The Pot is a sarcastic social and political commentary. things aren't always as they seem.

Oh yeah, and I agree with this being the second single. Followed closely by Jambi.

Thanks for the advice, yet now I'm at the stage of feeling the melodies. It'll be probably a month before I start looking into the lyrics and trying to figure out what they mean.

the part of the song where he says that "feels" kinda corny, know what I'm sayin'? I'm not trying to understand what other meaning there could be right now.

btw, here's an interesting article that talks about another meaning of the lyrics of the pot:

http://thaspot.thuglifearmy.com/blogs/drah_cenedive/archive/2006/05/02/4066.aspx

Thanks for the concern thou, mousersix!

K In Yo Mouf
05-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Thatz 1 of the Strangest Articlez I've Ever Read...

Strange Iz the Only Thing I Can Think Of 2 Describe Wat I Juzt Read...

K In Yo Mouf
05-03-2006, 07:17 AM
And Also, That Poem He Wrote @ the Bottom of the Page Iz Juzt Plain Retarded...

lookingcalifornia
05-03-2006, 07:39 AM
This songs takes me back to Opiate........

DON IOTAE
05-03-2006, 08:29 AM
And Also, That Poem He Wrote @ the Bottom of the Page Iz Juzt Plain Retarded...

Yeah, the article is weird, and the poem is retarded, but its has a strange feel of truth to it...

Anybody heard of this situation before? Other sources of information? (Check out my post before this one...)

K In Yo Mouf
05-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Never Seen or Heard Of Anythin About Thiz Kinda Thing...

I Mean, If Passive (Vacant) Waz a Part of The Tapeworm Project, An Waz Supposed 2 b Directed @ Tupac, y Iz The Moron Who Wrote The Article Only Attackin Maynard...

Itz Also Quite Clear the Author Of that Article Haz No Idea of Tool...

You Can't Take a Tool Song Out of Context And Claim Itz 1 Thing, When It Could b About 20 Other Thingz Also...

If Anybody Else Haz Any Info About Thiz, Pleaze Post It Here...

Edit - An I Also Thought That Passive Waz Directed @ Bush/The Government/The War More Than Anything Else, But Just Like Any Other Tool/APC Song, u Never Know Wat It Could Truly b About...

Look @ The Pot, Which They Apparently Think Iz Directed Towardz Tupac, Seemz 2 Me Itz Directed @ our Government/Bush/War, But Everybody Haz Their Own Interpretationz...

I Juzt Don't Think Thiz Moron (A RAP Writer, I Might Add) Knowz Enough About Tool/A Perfect Circle 2 Write An Article Attackin Em...

He Also Needz 2 Neva Make a Poem Ever Again, I Wrote Better Poemz In Lower School...

Sanzen
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Never Seen or Heard Of Anythin About Thiz Kinda Thing...

I Mean, If Passive (Vacant) Waz a Part of The Tapeworm Project, An Waz Supposed 2 b Directed @ Tupac, y Iz The Moron Who Wrote The Article Only Attackin Maynard...

Itz Also Quite Clear the Author Of that Article Haz No Idea of Tool...

You Can't Take a Tool Song Out of Context And Claim Itz 1 Thing, When It Could b About 20 Other Thingz Also...

If Anybody Else Haz Any Info About Thiz, Pleaze Post It Here...

Edit - An I Also Thought That Passive Waz Directed @ Bush/The Government/The War More Than Anything Else, But Just Like Any Other Tool/APC Song, u Never Know Wat It Could Truly b About...

Look @ The Pot, Which They Apparently Think Iz Directed Towardz Tupac, Seemz 2 Me Itz Directed @ our Government/Bush/War, But Everybody Haz Their Own Interpretationz...

I Juzt Don't Think Thiz Moron (A RAP Writer, I Might Add) Knowz Enough About Tool/A Perfect Circle 2 Write An Article Attackin Em...

He Also Needz 2 Neva Make a Poem Ever Again, I Wrote Better Poemz In Lower School...

Dude, first of all - I didn't read ANYTHING that you wrote...I just have to ask, though...Is that how you really type? Or was that...INTENSIONal. nyuk-nyuk.

eslupminoyler
05-03-2006, 11:21 AM
That guy surely has a psychotic disorder, because he believes his dillusions are real.
It also makes Maynard out to be a white supremist.

K In Yo Mouf
05-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Dude, first of all - I didn't read ANYTHING that you wrote...I just have to ask, though...Is that how you really type? Or was that...INTENSIONal. nyuk-nyuk.

Yeah, Thiz Iz How I Type...

An u Should Read Wat I Wrote...

K In Yo Mouf
05-03-2006, 02:07 PM
That guy surely has a psychotic disorder, because he believes his dillusions are real.
It also makes Maynard out to be a white supremist.

I Concur, Itz Juzt the Dumbest Thing I've Ever Seen...

Wish It Would Let Us Leave Commentz on the Bottom of the Page...

11Reflections11
05-04-2006, 02:33 AM
This is my favorite song on the new album. Jambi, Vicarious and Right in Two are up there as well. The first time I heard this I literally scowled... I thought how could MJK do... that? But, I remembered Danny telling me at a recent Volto! show that there was going to be a new type of singing coming from MJK this time around. I guess so. Slowly the scowling turned to a laugh. Imagine that, a TooL song starts and I'm laughing at it. BLASPHEMY!!!
And now I love the song. I put it on seruoisly at least twice in a row.Wo0t0oL.

arcane
05-04-2006, 03:02 AM
I think this song could properly crack Europe for them.

third_eye77
05-04-2006, 06:01 AM
I love the pot maynard vocals are so good ..but this wont be the single they would never do it...Jambi or right in two next single, they dont need to catch no one else 10,000 days goes number 1 as lateralus and they swim in money while
"Right In Two" will never be a single. It's too deep for casual radio listeners, imo. "The Pot" has already been played by local dj's here. I concur that it will be the next single. It just has a very radio-friendly vibe to it, and something that gets people pumped up due to it's punchy-as-hell bassline.

MetalFreak
05-04-2006, 07:04 AM
After careful consideration and anonymous sources confirmed that the email and books (2Pac Lives) inspired the response song “Passive” by Maynard James Keenan and A Perfect Circle.

This is way off left field from the original topic, but it's really... something.

I love how he claims that Passive is about Tupac without providing any real proof. Bottom line, if Passive isn't about Tupac, then there's absolutely no foundation for this so-called "warfare" that's supposedly going on between Maynard and Tupac.

In other words, this guy's full of shit, and considering he wrote, or is writing, a book, this looks like a publicity stunt of some sort, even if it's terrible. Unless he is delusional and actually believes what he's writing... A scary thought.

toocooltool
05-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Interesting theory, although im not convinced.

K In Yo Mouf
05-04-2006, 07:05 AM
He'z Probably Juzt Paranoid...

Thatz Actaully the 1st Sign of Paranoia, Thinking Everything and Anything Iz About u Or Related Towardz You in Some Way...

wvalootgrl
05-04-2006, 07:30 AM

I agree with your statement that "the pot" will entice new fans. I am amazed by
maynard's vocals in this song. Adam riffs are so original and amazing. Tool has re-invented itself with album. I cannot wait to see the band live, and I pray that the will include this song. My idea regarding the meaing of "the pot" is that the US is dumping on the rest of the world. I don't think the main reference of this song is drugs.

Just this tool girl's thoughts. Peace and Love.

profundo giallo
05-04-2006, 11:06 AM
The Pot is great,it just shows that Tool can do anything, yeah its catchy but original at the same time. Looks like even more radio play for them

chrysanthemum81
05-04-2006, 08:59 PM
"Eyeballs deep in muddy waters fucking hipocrits"

"Hypocrites."

K In Yo Mouf
05-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah Slick, Learn How 2 Speel...