PDA

View Full Version : Oh the Healing Powers of This Song..

right_in_three
04-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Today sucked. It's a proven fact we hate mondays (its monday in the US) and today was no exception. Given that yesterday was my 18th b day, I went to the local DMV today to get my license.

I apparently suck at driving. I failed the test.

So i was sitting in the car there after the test and then Vicarious came on the radio. I havent even heard it yet off of the radio, but it was magic.

It was like seven minutes of bliss in the midst of strife and sorrow. Then the song ended and life went back to normal. But as I sang along to those seven minutes, I found that Tool is a band I can put my trust in to cheer me up. They blow my mind away and constantly push the envelope. They relax me, enthrall me, confuse me, captivate me , and tweak my senses into submission on a regular basis.

Here's to the band that has inspired us all (hopefully).

Vicarious owns, and this release is going to be monumental.

usa4jer
04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
I love listening to Tool on the radio. Sure the quality isn't as good as a CD or my iPod. But a couple months back KROQ played 46 & 2 in its entirety. There's something extremely satisfying about knowing that, at that moment, thousands of other people around the city, people all around Southern Cal are looking at their radio, no longer playing Emo or the rest of the crap that's out there, and going "what the fuck is this? I love it!"

No matter what Tool song it is, it makes me think of Stinkfist. A whole lot of people being forced to listen to something that's not what they're used to, not what they're comfortable with, but what ultimately makes them better and more powerful. "This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to," and all that jazz.

Mescaline
04-24-2006, 04:47 PM
That's fucking awesome dude... they did/do the same for me....now just listen to their message... and push the envelope of existence yourself.... drink some mescaline and you'll see what i mean ;)

right_in_three
04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Where can I get some?

waffel
04-24-2006, 09:57 PM
It was like seven minutes of bliss in the midst of strife and sorrow.

lol. Failing a driving test is strife and sorrow? Ahh, to be so carefree...

wearethestories
05-23-2006, 08:32 PM
No matter what Tool song it is, it makes me think of Stinkfist. A whole lot of people being forced to listen to something that's not what they're used to, not what they're comfortable with, but what ultimately makes them better and more powerful. "This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to," and all that jazz.

Clarification:
"Stinkfist" isn't quite recommending the whole anal-fisting/trying-new-things approach to life. If you listen (or read if you must) carefully, there are two distinct voices in the song: the "drug" and the victim. The song is "about" (as much as any Tool song is ABOUT something) addiction and the power something has over you to take you over the edge. It's not so much that Maynard et al are advocating the "Shoulder deep inside the borderline", but "A" for effort.