PDA

View Full Version : number 23 trivia

influenza
04-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Here's some interesting stuff I pulled from wiki regarding several occurrences and meanings of 23:

- 23 is the smallest natural number with an eleven letter name in English. (11 tracks, got to love coincidences);

- In humans the 23rd chromosome determines biological sex. True by convention; the numbering of chromosomes is actually arbitrary.

- Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times when he was assassinated;

- The Knights Templar had 23 Grand Masters, the last being Jacques de Molay;

- John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 and his supposed assassin -- Lee Harvey Oswald -- was assassinated on November 24, 1963, the 23rd being in between.

- W, the 23rd letter of the Latin alphabet has 2 points down, 3 points up.

- On a normal modern Latin alphabet, QWERTY keyboard, the 23rd letter W is right below and between 2 and 3;

- ASCII character number 23 is ETB, “end transmission block”;

- Psalms, the longest book of the Bible, is the 23rd book of the Old Testament, and the famous "Divine Shepherd" psalm is Psalm 23. Psalm 23 is sometimes known as the Shepherd Psalm because of its opening line, "The Lord is my shepherd,"

- The first Morse Code transmission - "What hath God wrought?" - was from the Bible passage Numbers 23:23;

- Vanadium, the 23rd element is represented by the symbol V. In Roman numerals, V = 5 = 2 + 3;

- It is believed that Adam and Eve had 23 daughters;

- Both the ancient Egyptian and Sumerian calendars begin on 23 July. Both calendars were apparently calculated from the date of the heliacal rising of Sirius, which does occur at that latitude around that time of year;

For the conspiracy theorists:

- Hexagram 23 of the I Ching means "Stripping". Other variations include "splitting apart" and "flaying" (removal of skin from the body).
The I Ching or "Book of Changes" is the oldest of the Chinese classic texts. It describes an ancient system of cosmology and philosophy which is at the heart of Chinese cultural beliefs. The philosophy centers on the ideas of the dynamic balance of opposites, the evolution of events as a process, and acceptance of the inevitability of change.

There you go.

Oberon
04-24-2006, 04:07 AM
THANK YOU WIKIPEDIA

eonphi
04-24-2006, 06:06 AM
thats alot of meaningless crap lol...but well done for being THAT bored to do such a thing

s ti N Kfizt
04-24-2006, 06:10 AM
i've seen number 23 everywhere these few days..

influenza
04-24-2006, 06:54 AM
thats alot of meaningless crap lol...but well done for being THAT bored to do such a thing
No shit! I tried balancing toothpicks after that! Serious.

Chetnik
04-25-2006, 03:38 AM
23 Michael Jordan