PDA

View Full Version : maynard voice is soundiing thin?

something_Dark
04-24-2006, 12:45 AM
I dont want to even think about this but do any of you hear a big difference in his volcals?

i hope he's not loseing his voice!!!

talibad
04-24-2006, 08:53 AM
its just the song.

gem_37
04-24-2006, 11:47 AM
remids me of perfect circle :( i think we should all wait till its officially released before commenting.. lateralus also had different vocals.

toocooltool
04-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Weight four it life.

bozziodrummer000
04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
the verses= best vocals on the song imo

patthew
04-24-2006, 02:56 PM
The beginning of The Grudge sounds really different than most other vocals he does too; not quite like in Vicarious, but still a lot different than his usual voice as well.

ukm
04-24-2006, 04:34 PM
The beginning of The Grudge sounds really different than most other vocals he does too; not quite like in Vicarious, but still a lot different than his usual voice as well.

Assuming you haven't downloaded the rest of the album yet. If you think these vocals are out of character, wait til you hear The Pot lol. In a good way though, imo.

randomhero8823
04-24-2006, 04:53 PM
they lowered the vocal volume on the song. thats all

usa4jer
04-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Assuming you haven't downloaded the rest of the album yet. If you think these vocals are out of character, wait til you hear The Pot lol. In a good way though, imo.Seriously, Hoochie Maynard.

Supergroup
04-24-2006, 08:01 PM
if all you have heard is the leaked track or radio... you are in for a big surprise. I just got my hands on the physical radio promo and the first thing I noticed is that the leak is stripped bare of all it's parts. The "real" version of it is incredibly layered and mastered perfectly... it even eclipses the production on Lateralus. I am not shitting.

Supergroup
04-24-2006, 08:04 PM
On Maynards voice in the song; His volume is not lowered... in fact this is the first Tool song that I could actually come away with 90% of the lyrics on the first listen (on the promo). You will see... the album in it's intended form is going to sound great, I have absolutely no doubt that this is a sonic masterpiece after hearing this promo. Again, I am not shitting.

psims23
04-24-2006, 08:46 PM
if all you have heard is the leaked track or radio... you are in for a big surprise. I just got my hands on the physical radio promo and the first thing I noticed is that the leak is stripped bare of all it's parts. The "real" version of it is incredibly layered and mastered perfectly... it even eclipses the production on Lateralus. I am not shitting.

... you gotta be shittin me

Carny_Handles
04-25-2006, 02:39 AM
I only posted after reading the first few posts so forgive me if its already been mentioned, but it sounds alot quieter and is reminiscent of undertow. ..fuck my screen is in 3d, this is so hard to type. Muffled hard to hear lyrics, which i enjoy both. I enjoy the way maynard uses his voice as a musical instrument. Many bands start to sound the same after awhile. I think I will enjoy this cd like their others, it will just take time for it to grow on me. I remember when lateralus came out, i was blown away which left confused, i didnt really like the album at first until i understood it, and saw where all those 'random' noises fit in.

taking 3 ambien and smoking weed does some cool affects to your vision. everything pops out at me... very 3d and cool :)

drumtool
04-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Supergroup
Level 3 - Talker

Re: maynard voice is soundiing thin?

i hope you are right, after listening to the song 10,000 days i was thinking this would be the case with all the songs...

Supergroup
04-25-2006, 04:16 AM
I would have been agreeing with all of you about the vocals being way down in the mix and sounding thin, until I listened to the promo from VOLCANO... a real (as was intended to be heard) version of the song... the difference is amazing. I am a musician and a looooong time Tool listener. Trust me, I am not shitting.... I am so excited to here this album "the way it was intended to be heard" on May 2. You will understand what I mean when you hear it yourself. This song is fucking amazing sonically

zonacruz6
04-25-2006, 08:16 AM
I love his voice in this song.
That is all.

zonacruz6
04-25-2006, 08:17 AM
remids me of perfect circle :( i think we should all wait till its officially released before commenting.. lateralus also had different vocals.

Why the sad face? You don't like APC?

ID-entity
04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Its just because they lowered the vocals down in the final mix. They wanted to make it seem as if every instrument of the band (including vocals) is just as important as the other. In other words, they wanted it all to sound equal.

the usual
04-26-2006, 10:32 AM
I dont want to even think about this but do any of you hear a big difference in his volcals?

The vocals were mixed down behind the music(bass/guitar/drums)
He's aging as well,so........there ya go.

ArizonaBay
04-28-2006, 07:14 AM

Are you refering to the production on the full leaked album or just the single leak?

SunBurN
04-28-2006, 07:24 AM
The part where he sings "I might as well be gone"..I wish that his voice was louder and remained louder instead of fading out, but that said, I think his voice rocks as usual on this and the rest of XMDAYS!

Dedicated_TOOLfan
04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Well it has been 5 years don't you guys think you would expect a change? I mean look at the difference between AEnima and Lateralus.

aussiemart
04-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Id say no,,listen to the pot as it gets into it,,its really alot like undertoe

DON IOTAE
04-29-2006, 05:35 PM
I think MJk's vocals sound great. What I really don't appreciate is the distortion in songs like Rosetta. That shit really aint worth it, specially when the album is so short...

smeefsmeef
04-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, "The Pot" will erase any doubts about Maynard's singing capabilities... >hear also: "Rosetta Stoned"

hbynoe
04-29-2006, 07:48 PM
the mixing of this album is much different than
the other tool albums..they wanted to include MJK's vocal
like an instrument which makes it so powerful you kinda have
to discover his capability over.
as for his voice wearing thin...i think vocally this is
is strongest appearance...the man may not hold a 30 second note
on this record...but he did this

1. 10,000 days
2. Rosetta Stoned.

two vastly different styles but
both so powerful. so haunting..
so distinguished. I think he has
years left to grace us with many
spins on what he can do.

and performance wise..the man is
genius...he really uses his voice as
an extension of some great understanding
of his being. we are lucky to have him.
i am sure the man can still rip up the
grudge.ticks and leeches..and all else.

ÆNIMA69
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
i love this cd man! ne way. i enjoy singing along to all of my favorite bands(Cradle of filth, Dimmu borgir,APC,Incubus....) and having memorized portions of this cd, i can say that at times, maynards voice is quite difficult to match. once again tool take us on a journey threw a labrynth of undulating, ever morphing, paths. My 40 sumthin yr old parents are absolutely enthralled, and are awaiting the 2nd, as am i.

Im starting to get the impression that the leaked material that i have heard is different than what will be released on the 2nd. if this is the case, holly shit, we could have two very unique cds for the price of one!...i think justin stands out alot more in this cd,which ads a different feel. once again i reitterate(spelling?) that no, his voice isnt by any means weaker, they have just taken a level to everyones volume.

wearethestories
05-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Let's take a second and think about WHY the vocals sound different.

Read interviews... listen to A Perfect Circle... try to figure out where Maynard is coming from with his style of singing on this album.

As for me, my vote's with the others who see this as an evolution of the band. The vocals become less pronounced, much like when Tool is live, Maynard tends to be towards the back and not the front; also similar to the reason that he doesn't post the lyrics to the songs until at least a month after they've been out*.

*quoted from multiple interviews: Revolver, MTV, Metal Edge, etc.

TurdEye13
05-24-2006, 08:56 AM
the ending vocals are incredible though

DON IOTAE
05-24-2006, 08:58 AM
MJK's voice is kind of blander, yes. Actually the whole album is that way as well. I don't think he's losing his voice, though. But I must say that going back to undertow and listening is mostly refreshing!

Koan
05-25-2006, 06:31 AM
I think it sounds great. It's sharp and in-your-face, it fits the lyrics.

hbynoe
05-27-2006, 03:04 PM
he isn't loosing his voice the man fucking experiments on this album
every song...is so vastly different
i dont know what creative water he swam in to pull this one off

M.Luther
05-27-2006, 03:45 PM
i agree, he's not loosing his voice. i do think he goes out of his way to take of his vocal cords so they DONT get fucked up.
there is a long line of good singers who went well into their 50's or so, and could sing..

snominius
06-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Maynards voice sounds fine...every song has to sung differently otherwise you will start sounding like Jonny Cash...and that aint pretty

wearethestories
06-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Maynards voice sounds fine...every song has to sung differently otherwise you will start sounding like Jonny Cash...and that aint pretty
Back off the Man in Black, man.

Just BACK OFF!

... but seriously, Johnny Cash is incredible. Even if you don't like his sound, I hope at least you respect what he did for country music/his life story

Bloody
06-01-2006, 08:55 PM

its obviously intentional. Hes kind of whispering.

smeefsmeef
06-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Listen to the rest of the album, man. He seems to slowly "regain" his voice. I still think the hoarse whisper sounds sweet, though.

snominius
06-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Back off the Man in Black, man.

Just BACK OFF!

... but seriously, Johnny Cash is incredible. Even if you don't like his sound, I hope at least you respect what he did for country music/his life story

JUST KIDDIN' MAN respect to Jonny and the talent that man has...is a bit mind numming in long bursts but in one song lengths VERY GOOD!! I just wanted to raise that point about same sound...apologise if offence caused...

ErikTheRed
06-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Listen to Vicarious, yes, its sounds as though Maynard his a serious case of laryngitis. The sound is either creatively intentional, or they decided it sounded cool enough to do anyway regardless of the frog in his throat. But, miraculously, he heals himself by the last line of the song where he comes out blastin' the pipes in true form.

wearethestories
06-13-2006, 01:59 PM
JUST KIDDIN' MAN respect to Jonny and the talent that man has...is a bit mind numming in long bursts but in one song lengths VERY GOOD!! I just wanted to raise that point about same sound...apologise if offence caused...
hahaha... I was joking, and agree with your analysis of attempting to give the man's music a full listen (unless it's the BEST OF... because his voice does change, it begins to warble with old age which is a pretty sweet effect that pedals have yet to emulate)

peace all around//

carefreeonmorph
06-14-2006, 10:58 AM

I saw them live in KC recently. His voice is as good as ever. ~.o don't you worry.

Abaculus
06-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Listen to Vicarious, yes, its sounds as though Maynard his a serious case of laryngitis. The sound is either creatively intentional, or they decided it sounded cool enough to do anyway regardless of the frog in his throat. But, miraculously, he heals himself by the last line of the song where he comes out blastin' the pipes in true form.

That is the point I think everyone else missed - its the only the verses that mjk's voice sounds coarse and pappery. I don't think its bland at all....in fact many people claim mjk's normal voice is bland, while here he is clearly emoting for a reason (anger, exasperation, intolerance, who knows). I HIGHLY doubt this was by accident - they spent so long on this album and MJK is such a perfectionist when it comes to vocals. Plus after just doing the multitracked choir voices from "Fiddle and Drum" on eMotive it is kinda silly to think that MJK lost his voice in the downtime....if anything it should be better rested. I don't know if its 30 seconds or not, but at the end his "vicariously I live while the whole world dies much better you than I" scream is classic MJK style and he nails it like its nothing.

Nobody said this about his voice when they heard Ticks and Leeches (in which MJK really did throw his voice out for a few weeks).....then again it wasn't a single....and most of these posts predate the complete album's release