PDA

View Full Version : worst lyrics

selfimportanttoolfan
04-23-2006, 09:15 PM
There are the worst lyrics Maynard has ever written. Simply terrible.

04-23-2006, 09:36 PM
More like, good lyrics? :)

what dont you like about it? the simple statement it's making about humanity?

bogsnarth
04-23-2006, 09:37 PM
i get the feeling people don't like maynard using christian symbols in his lyrics.. those seem to be the most divisive type of lyrics on this album..

ps: i love the lyrics

04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
i get the feeling people don't like maynard using christian symbols in his lyrics.

really? Ive never met a tool fan who didnt like "eulogy"... which is say has the most christian overtones of any tool song (despite not being from a classical christian view)

feel free to tell me you dont like eulogy though :)

Clutch it like an AEnima
04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
????? what are you ? focking retarded? they some of the best

bogsnarth
04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
nope.. i love it.

tool has never done a song i don't like, to my knowledge..

chalk_line
04-23-2006, 09:55 PM
does this deserve it's own thread?

The Sky
04-23-2006, 10:04 PM
I love everything about the song. The lyrics are great and well thought out. What don't you like about the lyrics selfimportanttoolfan? Can't you give reasons for your opinion?

I like the lyrics because I think they accurately portray our society. Fighting all the time over anything. Crazy religious people making outrageous claims(confused, puzzled, misguided), for example intelligent design?

Stev
04-23-2006, 10:55 PM
I love everything about the song. The lyrics are great and well thought out. What don't you like about the lyrics selfimportanttoolfan? Can't you give reasons for your opinion?

I like the lyrics because I think they accurately portray our society. Fighting all the time over anything. Crazy religious people making outrageous claims(confused, puzzled, misguided), for example intelligent design?

While I personally believe religions to be confused and puzzled (and reckon Maynard probably does too), the confusion and puzzling in this song comes from the angels.

I do completely love the lyrics though, and this is my pic for second single. I think the way Maynard uses the angels to observe and consider humanity objectively is beautiful.

ArizonaBay
04-24-2006, 03:18 AM
I dont think we should listen to a poster with a name such as selfimportanttoolfan.Someones taking the piss methinks

Oberon
04-24-2006, 03:22 AM
I agree with OP. These lyrics are terrible. They're a simplistic look at a worn-out theme and they don't complement the music that well.

selfimportanttoolfan
04-24-2006, 06:24 AM
I agree with OP. These lyrics are terrible. They're a simplistic look at a worn-out theme and they don't complement the music that well.

the song's lyrics and theme are generic and simplistic, lacking any subtlety and nuance. sub-par at best.

ChaseA17
04-24-2006, 07:20 AM
love the song

monkeythumbs
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
There are the worst lyrics Maynard has ever written. Simply terrible.

you are the type of person that makes angels ask God why...

circulus
04-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Who are you?
love the music

Staticfactory
04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
the song's lyrics and theme are generic and simplistic, lacking any subtlety and nuance. sub-par at best.

I assume you're not familiar with the subject of duality.

There is another layer of meaning beyond the obvious, and just because you can't get there yourself doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The theme I'm hearing is very familiar... Pushit anyone?

jack_shit
04-25-2006, 08:32 AM
The words you seek are subtex, analogy, and metaphor, not duality.

MoreTool
04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
lyrics for Right in two are awesome! i like the way nard's talking about humanity

tiryth
04-25-2006, 09:31 AM
i absolutely love the lyrics - pretty straightforward statement about humanity, its a freakin awesome song

Parabolee
04-25-2006, 09:37 AM

hmm what you say is partially true but I think that Duality is definatly part of the songs great lyrics.

Far less Christian intention here than the Christians are getting. Try here for some clues -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1883319013/sr=8-3/qid=1145986225/ref=sr_1_3/104-9162936-5645521?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This book comes from Tool's recommended reading list.

Staticfactory
04-25-2006, 11:18 AM

No, I meant duality.

I wasn't seeking a word for literary devices -- I was speaking about the underlying theme (in my opinion.)

Parabolee: This is my interpretation of the song http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=966915&postcount=9

Please forgive the Christian imagery -- I used it because I would assume it's the most familiar concept with people, and it fits with the subject matter of the song.

Opiate_Mass
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
nope.. i love it.

tool has never done a song i don't like, to my knowledge..
Yes Los Angeles Municipal Court, i don't like very much

Opiate_Mass
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I dont think we should listen to a poster with a name such as selfimportanttoolfan.Someones taking the piss methinks
he's a noob......... what more is there to say?
he probably hasn't listened to any other albums besides XM

rocco
04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
two words: mitosis (okay, five)

Anr149
04-25-2006, 09:23 PM
i see where the dude is coming from about it being pretty straight forward lyrically.. why must we be an asshole to him... he's just sayin what he feels about the song... goddamn yo'

ProdigyDub
04-25-2006, 09:43 PM

You probably shouldn't have posted. The mere fact that YOU agree with him completely devalues his opinion.

Emericana
04-25-2006, 10:02 PM
i get the feeling people don't like maynard using christian symbols in his lyrics.. those seem to be the most divisive type of lyrics on this album..

ps: i love the lyrics

yes. this is why i dislike the lyrics in this song. this is why i dislike the lyrics in wings/10000days. there are plenty of other metaphors maynard could have used other than angels and eden to get the message he wants across. yes. i understand the underlying point of this song... but like i just said it could have been done without talking about angels

Junkie07
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
you stupid monkeys....

day_for_night
04-26-2006, 12:02 AM
ya, how bout you all ignore this. the lyrics are inspired and clever.

"silly monkeys, give them thumbs
they'll make a club and beat their brother down"

...brilliant.

rocco
04-26-2006, 02:18 AM
day_for_night:

the internet is your thumb

Soliloquy
04-26-2006, 03:10 AM
THe only aspect of the lyrics to this song that I dislike is how it is written from a creationist point of view...Has Maynard converted?

Staticfactory
04-26-2006, 07:11 AM
THe only aspect of the lyrics to this song that I dislike is how it is written from a creationist point of view...Has Maynard converted?

Sounds like a cross between creationism and evolution to me.

Anr149
04-26-2006, 08:06 AM
dont take it so literally...

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Sounds like a cross between creationism and evolution to me.

Exactly how I take it. The lyrics are minimalist by the way, or impressionistic. As he grows as an artist I see him going this route more and more. And as we learned with French impressionism, it isn't always easily accepted at first, but it does make some true and lasting art. It is a poignant, poetic, and perfectly phrased masterpiece touching on where we have come evoution wise and humanity at its worst, and all you have to do is take a fucking look around and see that we need things like this right now, in my opinion anyway...

It's a religious commentary too, obviously, and personally I enjoy his open minded relativism. Maybe it will get other people to give it a chance, which would not be a bad thing.

SunBurN
04-26-2006, 08:49 AM
First off I love Right in Two. I think the lyrics to it (like most of Maynards songs), are very clever and thought provoking and the way he sings it is just phenomenal! I also feel that this song the way its lyrically written with all of the religious overtones would've also worked as an APC song, but that said, it definitely has a Tool feel to it and is one of the strongest songs on the album. I think it could also be single if they so chose, but they would probably shorten it a bit for Radio play.

Seethus
04-26-2006, 09:00 AM
First off I love Right in Two. I think the lyrics to it (like most of Maynards songs), are very clever and thought provoking and the way he sings it is just phenomenal! I also feel that this song the way its lyrically written with all of the religious overtones would've also worked as an APC song, but that said, it definitely has a Tool feel to it and is one of the strongest songs on the album. I think it could also be single if they so chose, but they would probably shorten it a bit for Radio play.
Has tool ever shortened any song for radio play? I dont think so...

SunBurN
04-26-2006, 09:21 AM

Yes, there was a shortened version of Judas played on the radio up here in Seattle and shorter version of Parabola and Lateralus also played, but that could've been the dj's themselves that edited the version they played. I don't know for sure if Tool has ever shortened any of their songs for Radio play. The feeling I have is they haven't but I'm sure I could be wrong.

Staticfactory
04-26-2006, 12:27 PM

To my knowledge, Tool doesn't shorten any of their own songs or make any "radio edits". I believe that radio stations do it themselves.

praefector
04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
no way are these lyrics worse than

"I tried to keep ahold,
but there was nothing I could say.
You slid and crept away
and there was nothing I could say.
So what you're trying to say
is you don't wanna play."

rachmiel4
04-26-2006, 11:12 PM
The lyrics sound more like a Dave Matthews Band song than a Tool song.

SunBurN
04-27-2006, 06:58 AM

You're just trying to be funny and also trying to piss people off because there is no way that Right in Two sounds anything like a Dave Matthews band song.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-27-2006, 08:20 AM

har har, if Dave Mathews could hold a candle to this.

It sounds more like self actualized, artistically beautiful contemplation and commentary, to me anyway. I guess you can't expect everyone to get it. Analytically, he is a great poet though, if you want to compare and contrast.

Opiate Son
04-27-2006, 04:17 PM

and you sound more like a Clay Aiken fan than a Tool fan, go post on his forum.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-27-2006, 04:23 PM

haha yeah can you even believe these fuckers...

rachmiel4
04-27-2006, 04:41 PM
I love Tool, don't get me wrong. They're my favorite group of all time. I've identified with what they're all about for probably about 7 years now. They're profound, weird, intense, avant garde; spiritual yet mundane, filthy yet ethereal. But I've noticed that every once in a while on Lateralus, as well as on this new album, there's something that will make me cringe, or an imperfection or a blot that I wish weren't there. On the Grudge, for example, I thought Maynard's vocals were kind of whiny in that opening sequence after the Maynardtron part, especially where he goes "ultimatum prison ceeeellll." Another example was when Maynard sings "must keep reminding myself" over and over, and starts to sound more and more like a chipmunk. On this album, one of those "uncomfortable" spots is when I'm hearing him sing with a monkey metaphor that is, quite frankly, tired and trite, and below Maynard's lyrical standards in my opinion. It reminds me of Dave Matthews lame, and even more trite jungle-themed lyrics, which is one of the reasons I never was a fan of that tripe. But I do like 10kd. This is Tool's protest album, and I suppose the message of RI2 does actually mesh well with the rest.

beligerentfokker
04-28-2006, 06:57 AM
I agree that Right In Two can easily be a single. Adam Jones stated in an interview for the June issue of Guitar World that they give songs to radio in their entirety, leaving the editing to them. This song and Wings/Days are both (thrice?) emotionally powerful songs. Catatonic said it best: POIGNANT. Indeed, can't wait to see what they play at Coachella.. TWO MORE DAYS!!

preacher
04-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Yeah I think these lyrics are in my top 10 TOOl songs definitely.

Pushing Monkeys
04-28-2006, 06:28 PM
"Repugnant is a creature who would squander, the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

imo, some very bad-a*s classic Toolish lyrics!

tooldude
04-28-2006, 06:34 PM
worst lyrics?? this is one of the best songs on the cd. this and jambi

Stev
04-28-2006, 06:42 PM
"Repugnant is a creature who would squander, the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

imo, some very bad-a*s classic Toolish lyrics!

Werd.

selfimportanttoolfan
04-30-2006, 08:54 AM
the lyrics to this song aren't very good.

sorry.

toocooltool
04-30-2006, 08:57 AM
The lyrics are pretty good.

sorry.

mjr
04-30-2006, 09:15 AM
This is such a politically charged/gay liberal bullshit song. I don't think I need to explain. I wish maynard stuck to the abstract/personal/relationship/enlightenment thing. I really don't care for his views that fighting the enemy is so fucking bad. I had enough with the eMotive bullshit. Too bad it seeped its way into Tool as well.

ÆNIMA69
04-30-2006, 09:19 AM

AAAHHHH....thats some funny shit, i would like to have thought that by now tool fans would have learned to not take things so literally...(stinkfist, shit [insert song name here].)

By the way, eulogy was more sarcastic, where as Right in two is merely using a different point of view to convey an idea.

STA
04-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Crazy religious people making outrageous claims(confused, puzzled, misguided), for example intelligent design?

Would you please explain to me how intelligent design is "outrageous, confused, puzzled, and misguided"? Or how this relates to Right in Two?

mjr
04-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Would you please explain to me how intelligent design is "outrageous, confused, puzzled, and misguided"? Or how this relates to Right in Two?

lol. first of all (2nd q) it very loosely relates to the song. second of all (first q), if you can't answer that yourself then please go take a high school biology course.

Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.

mjr
04-30-2006, 03:34 PM
The music on this song is amazing. Their are some great moments. Too bad its ruined by maynard whining. Maybe he should take his own comment to heart: Credulous at best your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men. People in this world are not going to all love each other and stop fighting. Enemies of the United States and the rest of the free world aren't going to stop what they are doing because Maynard complains about it. Thus the hippie bullshit doesn't cut it when you complain that we fight back. This is true and please don't dismiss it because you disagreed with Iraq (or Vietnam, for that matter). We didn't fight those wars for the sake of arguing over land, there was an ultimate purpose. Extinquishing a threat (Saddam's supposed weapons, whether or not you think the gov't lied about it, Vietnam letting communism spread to the rest of southeast asia, Saddam's tortue and killing of thousands, etc.). Just because both we're offensive wars does not mean they weren't justified. They were both handled horribly too and lasted (are lasting) far longer than they should have. Thousands of errors were made in both. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN that it wasn't justified. IT DOESNT MEAN that there wasn't a purpose. Maynard is acting like our government and the people of the free world just fight for no fucking reason. And its fucking annoying hippie, liberal gay ass bullshit. "Father" (which doesn't exist, but w/e lets roll with it...and yeah if you think the above was cuz im a republican, think again) blessed us all with reason and we choose to defend ourselves AND the ability to exercise that reason freely. Fucking maynard. He needs to take The Pot and Right in Two lyrics and stick them on eMotive while he rewrites something far better for these two very good sonically pleasing songs. Fucking a.

Opiate Son
04-30-2006, 05:24 PM
This is such a politically charged/gay liberal bullshit song. I don't think I need to explain. I wish maynard stuck to the abstract/personal/relationship/enlightenment thing. I really don't care for his views that fighting the enemy is so fucking bad. I had enough with the eMotive bullshit. Too bad it seeped its way into Tool as well.

is that you George W.?

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
there

are

no

just

wars.

-ezra pound

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 05:31 PM
btw, this song goes way beyond "politics," left/right bipartisan bullshit, and the sort of mentality demonstrated in mjr's post.. to me, it's about the part of our nature that leads to that mentality.

it's not about "war," it's about our inability to see the world as it is: a seamless whole. war is just a symptom of that disease.

rocco
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM
btw, this song goes way beyond "politics," left/right bipartisan bullshit, and the sort of mentality demonstrated in mjr's post.. to me, it's about the part of our nature that leads to that mentality.

it's not about "war," it's about our inability to see the world as it is: a seamless whole. war is just a symtom of that disease.

The best clue to this song is IMO 'Black Kettle,' and thanks to someone for the link to the actual Cheyenne chieftain's bio. It would seem that this is about governments (perhaps the American gov't. in particular) which destroy, kill, rape, pillage, etc., and then moralize.

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 05:37 PM
it's possible, but i really don't think it's as simple as that.. but perhaps i'm just over-analyzing, as so many on this board are quick to point out. :P

eulogist
04-30-2006, 06:27 PM
yeah this song and jambi both seem to lean toward christianity

...i liked tool alot beter when they bashed christianity
when they bash humanity it seems pretty cliche and pointless because its like complaining about humans to humans

i know i didn't word that right but ive thought it through...
SO BELIEVE ME

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 06:34 PM
i don't hear the christianity in jambi.. wings/10000 days, yes, but not jambi..

Stev
04-30-2006, 06:48 PM
It's the angels/Father thing. People who are anti-christianity will see any reference to any kind of tradition christian theology as thematic. It's a bit frustrating really. I'm definitely not pro-christian, but I can see that the language in these lyrics - as I pointed out before - is purely a literary device and christianity is not even a minor theme in these lyrics.

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah.. i think of them more as the angels of dee and kelley (the enochian keys, etc) and aleister crowley.. or even the angels from "constantine," with their disgust for humanity in general..

ugh.. i can't believe i just made a connection between a tool song and a keanu reeves movie.. the flogging may commence now. -_-

mjr
04-30-2006, 08:15 PM

it's not about "war," it's about our inability to see the world as it is: a seamless whole. war is just a symptom of that disease.

If our nature is to be self and circle (your family and those you surround yourself with) centered then I guess we all need to apologize to maynard. Sorry for being human. War is bad. Nobody is gonna argue with that. That doesn't make it unjustifiable, which it clearly is and has to be. Enemies of countries and of freedom (whether or not iraq and vietnam apply is up for debate) don't give a shit what Maynard has to say. They have their own agenda and hate everything about us. They aren't the one's listening to Maynard and he knows that. He's blatantly being a fucking idiot and lecturing us on our (the govt's) choice to combat that.

I'd much rather like to see this song as being completely anti-Christian. Sort of like a commentary about if your so called God existed then why is their hatred in the world (from where it stems...the enemies) and why do we kill each other. However, the fact of the matter is that that isn't what Maynard meant. He's just being a fucking moron utopia seaking men are angels everybody loves each other hippie piece of shit liberal.

Stev
04-30-2006, 09:39 PM
He's just being a fucking moron utopia seaking men are angels everybody loves each other hippie piece of shit liberal.

Give away the stone.
Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go.

Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing.

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

The question is - why are you still listening to Tool when Maynard's been a 'fucking moron utopia seaking men are angels everybody loves each other hippie piece of shit liberal' for a while now?

I guess you gotta listen to something until Anne Coulter releases her album huh?

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 09:52 PM
If our nature is to be self and circle (your family and those you surround yourself with) centered then I guess we all need to apologize to maynard. Sorry for being human. War is bad. Nobody is gonna argue with that. That doesn't make it unjustifiable, which it clearly is and has to be. Enemies of countries and of freedom (whether or not iraq and vietnam apply is up for debate) don't give a shit what Maynard has to say. They have their own agenda and hate everything about us. They aren't the one's listening to Maynard and he knows that. He's blatantly being a fucking idiot and lecturing us on our (the govt's) choice to combat that.

I'd much rather like to see this song as being completely anti-Christian. Sort of like a commentary about if your so called God existed then why is their hatred in the world (from where it stems...the enemies) and why do we kill each other. However, the fact of the matter is that that isn't what Maynard meant. He's just being a fucking moron utopia seaking men are angels everybody loves each other hippie piece of shit liberal.
*takes a stance as if about to engage in fisticuffs*

*makes elaborate movements with his arms and hands*

GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!

may the Great Work transform you.

mjr
04-30-2006, 11:13 PM
The question is - why are you still listening to Tool when Maynard's been a 'fucking moron utopia seaking men are angels everybody loves each other hippie piece of shit liberal' for a while now?

I guess you gotta listen to something until Anne Coulter releases her album huh?

None of that shit applies to the enemy. People that hate on the U.S. and the free world and would like to see us all dead. I guess if you wanna feel connected to them, go ahead. Nothing in those Lateralus lyrics need to apply to anything more than what you want them to. Those around you. Any and all GOOD people. Your first 2 lyrics don't even apply to your argument...those are very personal things...nothing like a humanity commentary on Right in Two. I don't see what the Lateralus lyrics about how amazing it is to be alive and to not squander that really has to do with what I'm saying either. My entire huge incoherent line that you quoted is referring to how there are always those who initiate war or who it is justified against, like terrorists and enemies of freedom. Thus, Maynard's whining about us good monkeys essentially defending ourselves and our other good monkey brothers against the bad monkeys does no good...the bad monkeys aren't fucking listening to Tool and wouldn't give a shit if they did. I don't see whats so unclear about what I said. Unless you just saw my one quote and decided to post some lyrics to throw in an Ann Coulter jab to make yourself sound great. She's a bitch and I don't like her either...so I don't see what your point is maybe you didn't read me before when I said I wasn't a republican. Its called reality. Come back to it sometime. You're always welcome.

Stev
04-30-2006, 11:35 PM
'The enemy', 'good and bad', 'us and them'. Dangerous, simplistic, polarised and unproductive ways of thinking. But I'm not going to change how you view the world. I do have to say though that there's not just a bunch of 'terrorists' out there who 'hate freedom' and 'want us all dead'. You probably won't believe that, but I had to say it anyway to plant a seed in the hope that one day you will realise this to be true. And to think you accuse me of being distanced from reality...

Anyway, I'm SO not going to get pulled into a political debate here.

You called Maynard a liberal, intending it as an insult. That would imply that you are a conservative. Ann Coulter is also a conservative, hence my joke about Ann Coulter.

The lyrics that I referenced were not addressing the specific content of Right in Two, but rather they were cited as proof that Maynard has been a 'utopia seeking...hippie piece of shit liberal' for a long time now. Maynard, despite his aggressive nature, seems to be an extremely spiritual person - as witness by those lyrics. Spirituality goes hand in hand with 'liberal-ness' and hippies and couldn't be further from conservatism.

The line from the grudge speaks directly to 'everybody loves each other'.

As far as 'good monkeys' and 'bad monkeys' go. Maynard is speaking to them all. He doesn't say 'American monkeys' or 'Western monkeys' or 'Judeo-christian monkeys'. He just says talking monkeys.

I mean, Jesus Christ, what do you want him to say 'Don't these talking monkeys - and I mean the Islamic and Arab and terrorist ones too who probably won't hear this album, but I mean them too - know that Eden has enough to go around'?

10000 days in the fire
05-01-2006, 01:37 AM
I love this song the fact that it's given from and angels point of view and how humans are reffered to as the monkeys we are. this song makes you think. It is a common theme that has been thrashed but i think Maynard pulls it off.
Just genius.

tyroneslothrop
05-01-2006, 01:45 AM
It's been said before but it seems it needs to be said again:

This song is just as much about politics as stinkfist is about sticking your hand in someone's ass.