PDA

View Full Version : just a long segue into right in to???

DRoehl
04-23-2006, 08:42 PM
does intension sound like a 7+ minute seque??? for right in two? I mean this song has no emotion for some reason I have the mantra "move by will alone" STUCK in my head. but to me this just seems like a "filler" track that they just extended

just my perspective

psims23
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Definitely seems like a segue to me.. especially since this doesn't really end.. it just kinda.. extends into Right in Two. But it's still a utterly beautiful and unique effort by the band... I could DEFINITELY listen to this w/o Right in Two afterwards, it's just nice to have the extension ;)

DRoehl
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
too me its one of the rare instances that this album flows for me. but at the same time i really don't think that its that great of a song. I mean is along the lines of disposition/ reflection but it lacks emotion, build-up etc. just very flat for me no where near the quality of Disposition/reflection. and it will just accept it as a 7 min segue into right in two

Odibilëph
04-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Sounds sort of like... a b-side!?

DRoehl
04-23-2006, 10:14 PM
no way man. this is a tool album.. its a masterpiece. better than lateralus. HOW DO THEY DO IT???? they get better every album. MJK is god and satan in one manifestation.

okay seriously... I love tool! but goddamn this had better be a b-side comp

5 years for this? no way

eonphi
04-24-2006, 01:56 AM
no...it does seem to just fade right into right in to...but i think it's a song on it's own...now way it's a segue...although intension and right into could be the new dis/ref/tri...but with two songs instead of 3

Carbonatedgravy
04-24-2006, 02:31 AM
no...it does seem to just fade right into right in to...but i think it's a song on it's own...now way it's a segue...although intension and right into could be the new dis/ref/tri...but with two songs instead of 3

I agree with what you're saying in principle, but by definition dis/ref/tri are kind of segues too.

There is a definite relationship between Intension and Right in Two, but both are legitimate songs. I can get if you guys aren't particularly moved by Intension... the song is still growing on me. But that doesn't mean it isn't a song.

eonphi
04-24-2006, 06:11 AM
i love intension

Perseensilmä
04-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Intension lacks emotion? Itīs the only song on this piece of shit that makes me cry. Itīs so fucking emotional. In addition to that itīs beautiful.

troublefunk
04-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Wow. I liked this song immediately, and it only got better when I read the lyrics along with it. Why would it build up? They lyrics are so cyclical. Out of pure nothingness we come, and into it we go. Existence is in between, though it isn't a given like the origin and endpoint... we "move" by will alone; we exist though an active process of assertion, and can be pure only by willing it so. Objects are subjective- a stone can be forgiveness or a weapon. A fire can destroy or provide warmth.

Musically, its got some of the most dope electronic drumming at just the right time, beautiful harmonics from the bass, and a haunting guitar sound half way through courtesy of a Leslie speaker cab. Everything about this song is good... I don't know what more you can ask for. They can't all be epics.

stardown
04-24-2006, 09:53 AM
I consider this a song, not a segue....but I really really enjoy it. I find the flow of the song very relaxing. Both the vocals and the instruments have a calming effect for me.

praefector
04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
definitely a standalone track

but it is a very nice bridge between rosetta and RIT

mike tyson
04-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a terrible song... but if you need to tell yourself it's a segue, be my guest.

DRoehl
04-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Intension lacks emotion? Itīs the only song on this piece of shit that makes me cry. Itīs so fucking emotional. In addition to that itīs beautiful.

Its not emotional at all. its just very bland lyrics repeated. a mantra. maybe this is what maynard used to go into a transcedental state while he was righting the lyrics to the REAL album. the lyrics of this album are completely sub-par in comparison with ANY previous album... APC or Tool

skwid
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Its not emotional at all. its just very bland lyrics repeated. a mantra. maybe this is what maynard used to go into a transcedental state while he was righting the lyrics to the REAL album. the lyrics of this album are completely sub-par in comparison with ANY previous album... APC or Tool

Your telling me you sat down with Wings for Marie/10000 days, really read the lyrics, and did NOT feel any emotion? It's about his Mother's death for god sakes, and easily the most emotional song (considering them one) on the album, and maybe by Tool alltogether. Remember the album is named after this as well. You can say they based an entire album on the emotion one feels after loosing a parent.

You just gotta look into it deeper. I can respect your point of view because when I first heard phrases like "but I forgot my pen" and "you must have been high" I too thought they were a little cheesy. Though there's just way more to those lines other than whats blatently obvious, and you can say the same for everything Tool does, thats the point.

"in Tool, everything is controlled by emotion." - Danny Carey

You just can't say anything Tool does is without emotion.

DRoehl
04-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Your telling me you sat down with Wings for Marie/10000 days, really read the lyrics, and did NOT feel any emotion? It's about his Mother's death for god sakes, and easily the most emotional song (considering them one) on the album, and maybe by Tool alltogether. Remember the album is named after this as well. You can say they based an entire album on the emotion one feels after loosing a parent.

You just gotta look into it deeper. I can respect your point of view because when I first heard phrases like "but I forgot my pen" and "you must have been high" I too thought they were a little cheesy. Though there's just way more to those lines other than whats blatently obvious, and you can say the same for everything Tool does, thats the point.

"in Tool, everything is controlled by emotion." - Danny Carey

You just can't say anything Tool does is without emotion.

dude you are totally mis reading everything. its cool though.. what I said was specifically in response to the song Intension. I absolutly agree about wings 1& 2...VERY emotional shit.. when maynard says "its time now, my time now, give me my wings" CHILLS!!! everytime. VERY POWERFUL SONG!!! I link the song Intension however everyone keeps comparing it to Dispostion/Reflection. and its nowhere near the caliber of these songs. honstly.. now the dust has settled for me. I can say I really didn't like this album at first and was VERY dissappointed. but its grown on me and I really like it. However A)I am dissappointed in the album (may be my fault for having too high of expectations but when one of the most talented bands in the world has 5 years in which they could work on a cd and this is what we get...) B) It isn't near as good and complex and meaningful as lateralus (but Lateralus is seriously nearly impossible to top one of the best albums of ALL TIME imo)

Volrath
04-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Your sarcasm never ceases to amaze me. But hey to each his own.

Nevvermind183
04-30-2006, 07:10 AM
The lyrics in this song seem kind of pretentious

a big stupid dumbass
05-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah this song does seem to go right into right in two. ;)

And I love it.

Stay in school....Work hard...Listen to your mother...Your father was right....

Tool = Uncanny

*goes back into sound forge*

*digs deeper*

Life feeds on life
05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
i really appreciate this song i believe it is a seque into right in two which makes the song even better

moneyisevil
05-02-2006, 12:34 PM
i think this is just a long segue into right in two

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 03:03 PM
I mean this song has no emotion
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Aintension&btnG=Google+Search

=/

The real reason Intension is on the CD is for the secret message in the reverse track</sarcasm>

lessthanmurf
05-04-2006, 04:14 PM
this song could stand alone, no doubt. this song will be the most overlooked on the album and yet, for me at least, is the most original and beautiful on the album. and yes it does provide a segue into RIT but that does not take away from this song one bit. it is not a filler segue at all!

Un coup de dés
05-04-2006, 09:54 PM
I feel like this song leads into Right in Two, bu i don't think it's just a "Segue" so much as part one of two. Actually, I really think of it as more part one of three, with Vigniti Tres making up the third section. In my mind it's all one big epic about human history and the direction humanity is headed or could be headed. Before this notion dawned on me I just though Vignit Tres was a mellow lead out of th CD, but now it not only makes alot more sense to me, but it carries alot more meaning by it's self and I find that this point of view adds alot more power to both Indecision and Right in Two. This is now my favorite part of the CD. A commentary on human evolution and humanities potential for trancendencs or for failure, the concept is, in my mind, so well realised, it's kind of inspiring.

I've also heard that the number 23 has some occult signifigance, I would love to know what it is, and how it relates to the little template that I put over these tracks.

Vicenza
05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
i just can't get into this track. i've listened to the entire album a multitude of times and this is the one that always stands out as the "what the hell" track. every other song (with the exception of viginti tres, of which i also don't see the point) has grown on me substantially more after each listen. Intension is the track with the cool name but that's it. i always receive right in two with happy relief as soon as it's over. maybe over time, we'll see, but right now, very much doubt it.