PDA

View Full Version : Maynard is a girl

fakee
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM
In case you didn't notice, that intro dealie is Maynard singing as Joni Mitchell.

chalk_line
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
i can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend

Seethus
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
In case you didn't notice, that intro dealie is Maynard singing as Joni Mitchell.
Or as Tori Amos, or as any other number of people that sing in high pitched tones.
In conclusion, it doesn't really matter, its maynard, hes an awesome singer, and he sounds awesome.

fakee
04-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Or as Tori Amos, or as any other number of people that sing in high pitched tones.
In conclusion, it doesn't really matter, its maynard, hes an awesome singer, and he sounds awesome.

Uhm, no. Listen to Joni, the melody and tonal characteristics are identical. Maynard listens to a lot of Joni so it is no surprise.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
It's Joni alright. Listen to the Fiddle and the Drum off Emotive, one of her songs same exact style. Maynard sounds just like her on The Pot lol. Man this is a rocking kick ass song though... One of my favorite Tool songs now.

lzep86
04-24-2006, 03:58 PM
It's Joni alright. Listen to the Fiddle and the Drum off Emotive, one of her songs same exact style. Maynard sounds just like her on The Pot lol. Man this is a rocking kick ass song though... One of my favorite Tool songs now.

Definitely one of my faves too.

spiralout11235
04-24-2006, 04:01 PM
I really love his singing in the beginning and throughout the whole song. I think its one of his better vocal performances.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Yeah gee if this is just the stuff off the "decoy album" can you imagine, what the stuff off the real album will be like lol *shakes head*; *smokes the pot, no, smokes the crack* lol...

And hell yeah, it's very clear and strong, and it's mic'd very well - top notch, can you imagine it live? Coachella lucky fuckers =)

randomhero8823
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
maynard has always had a girlish voice kinda...... which is sort of a good thing

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 04:55 PM
maynard has always had a girlish voice kinda...... which is sort of a good thing

To expound, well of course what's the Jungian terminology - the Anima and Animus? male and female sides. Well from what I always understood that was Maynard's intent with APC to express his Animus. You can always hear the Anima coming through in Tool, oh boy is it strong and definitively masculine - of course even in The Pot damn, after that first intro it gets very strong and masculine. Always loved this about him. I guess since there is no more APC though he has to express his Animus through Tool a little bit now or something? over analyzing no doubt lol...

randomhero8823
04-24-2006, 05:00 PM
To expound, well of course what's the Jungian terminology - the Anima and Animus? male and female sides. Well from what I always understood that was Maynard's intent with APC to express his Animus. You can always hear the Anima coming through in Tool, oh boy is it strong and definitively masculine - of course even in The Pot damn, after that first intro it gets very strong and masculine. Always loved this about him. I guess since there is no more APC though he has to express his Animus through Tool a little bit now or something? over analyzing no doubt lol...

your seperating your body from the mind.....

zee deveel 17
04-24-2006, 05:07 PM
well... when you carry an amazing voice like maynard there will be plenty of surprises from time to time.

themayanlion
04-24-2006, 05:23 PM
you don't need to get jungian about it.

it is as simple as him finally becoming comfortable with his voice.

you know, like he's a singer. sometimes they have ranges, and he found his with APC.

i think Orestes and Brena off Mer de Noms was the best thing to happen to his voice.

i heard some rumor that he was influenced or impressed or whatever enough by the Mars Volta's singer enough to start experiementing with his voice (after the APC tour).

whether that's true or not, he is definitely using his voice more as an instrument on this album by far than any other album.

i find it funny on these boards sometimes how much they hype the band for their creativity, but when maynard doesn't scream when they want him to, he's somehow taken a step back,

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-24-2006, 05:24 PM
i can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend

nice

Frenchy
04-25-2006, 02:53 AM

it is as simple as him finally becoming comfortable with his voice.

you know, like he's a singer. sometimes they have ranges, and he found his with APC.

i think Orestes and Brena off Mer de Noms was the best thing to happen to his voice.

i heard some rumor that he was influenced or impressed or whatever enough by the Mars Volta's singer enough to start experiementing with his voice (after the APC tour).

whether that's true or not, he is definitely using his voice more as an instrument on this album by far than any other album.

i find it funny on these boards sometimes how much they hype the band for their creativity, but when maynard doesn't scream when they want him to, he's somehow taken a step back,

Great point, I think he definitely got his voice for this song while at APC. Although the 2 songs you mention he sounded amazing, I thought his voice became part of the music on Thirteenth Step, even if some of the videos sucked (the outsider).

Maynard's vocals seemed to be more part of the music in Lateralus than any other album he's been on, APC or otherwise. On 10,000 Days rather than drawing us into Tool's world, he seems to be reaching out to us, altering the perceptions we have of our own world, when put into comparison to others.

Dunno, it's something to think about.