PDA

View Full Version : Shit the bed?

Alcawhorlick
04-23-2006, 08:29 PM
We all realize that "shit the bed" is not literal right?
Just checking up on the old Rosetta Stoned forum, see what everyone is getting from this song.

I'm finding it humorous at this point. Still havent made it through once without laughing.

Can I get a few short blurb interpretations?

T-13h
04-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Literal as anything else.

aziraphale
04-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes it is literal. This guy is a raving lunatic who thinks he's talking to God.

T-13h
04-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes it is literal. This guy is a raving lunatic who thinks he's talking to God.

You too.

something_Dark
04-23-2006, 08:41 PM
DMT+LSD25= shitting your self as you lay in the fetal position on the bed trying to stop the voices in your head telling you things you dont really want to know but you did cuase you needed something to write a song about that would make ppl question your very sanity and or make you out to be some kind of modern day proffit. Ive been their minus the DMT and shitting of the bed.

Alcawhorlick
04-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Yeah Dark,I dont think there was any actual shitting going on
it's a metaphor for the rest of the stuff you described
Sadly I think this is the best song on the "album"
Can't wait for the real one on 6/6

Sephiraith
04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
I imagine the phrase "shit the bed" can be taken a few different ways, all of which fit the song.

talibad
04-23-2006, 10:28 PM
this song reminds me of a strong mushroom trip i had 2 years ago where i was convinced id died and wherever i was dureing that period i was talking to something that showed and told me alot of shit but by the time i got back i couldnt remember half of it. if you go back a ways and find old posts by eyemaware this song is more than likely about people such as him or me who have an uber intense hallucinogenic experience and have no clue how to communicate it back properly as well as comeing off as some kind of narrcisistic holy man who was chosen to bring such messages ect. ok im tired and im babbleing take care

Vicenza
04-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I imagine the phrase "shit the bed" can be taken a few different ways, all of which fit the song.

may be. but yet i feel there's probably better phrases to convey any of those than "shitting a bed".

disaxiom
04-23-2006, 10:57 PM
it reminds me of trainspotting when the guy shit the bed on heroin i believe

ArizonaBay
04-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Its literal, I forgot my peeeeeeenn!! Shiiitt the beeeed agaaain!!! Typical. There is so much in this song that makes me think this and the whole album is a joke. Pity cause i like it alot.

seneca77
04-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Its literal, I forgot my peeeeeeenn!! Shiiitt the beeeed agaaain!!! Typical. There is so much in this song that makes me think this and the whole album is a joke. Pity cause i like it alot.

why exactly would this song make you think this album is a joke? theories aside.

aziraphale
04-24-2006, 06:27 AM
You people are idiots. What the hell else can shitting the bed mean? Are you saying its a metaphor?

Alcawhorlick
04-24-2006, 07:22 AM
You people are idiots. What the hell else can shitting the bed mean? Are you saying its a metaphor?

http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/glossary.html
search for "shit the bed"
that is what I assumed it meant when I heard it.
Same as "screw the pooch", fucking up.

bbunt302
04-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I thought it was hilarious the first time I heard the song because I hear the phrase used all the time. Must be a Southern thing. What's even better is that we usually precede it with a "God damn" too. I was laughing my ass off.

We usually use it more in a slightly different context. Like if someone says something really stupid that makes absolutely no sense (a common occurrence)... one of us might say... "Well god damn, shit the bed." It can also be used when you're bored as fuck and just sitting around as a way to express your boredom.

Sephiraith
04-24-2006, 09:05 AM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shit+the+bed

aziraphale
04-24-2006, 12:18 PM
I just think you people are desperately struggling to make the song deeper. It's pretty simple. The guy is obviously raving, seeing things, etc. He sees himself as a prophet. But really he's a lunatic in some mental ward (see Lost Keys), seeing things and shitting his bed. Simple as that.

toocooltool
04-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Monkey GAWD DAYUM the bed.

millselonius
04-24-2006, 12:32 PM
I just think you people are desperately struggling to make the song deeper. It's pretty simple. The guy is obviously raving, seeing things, etc. He sees himself as a prophet. But really he's a lunatic in some mental ward (see Lost Keys), seeing things and shitting his bed. Simple as that.

Recognizing a very common saying for "fucking up" isn't trying to make the song deeper. He forgot his pen, which was a fuck-up, which is "shitting the bed." It's just a humorous way to say it.

aziraphale
04-24-2006, 12:33 PM
So do you disagree that he's the patient in the mental ward from Lost Keys?

hbynoe
04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
uh...i like drugs a lot i should be doing more.

Sephiraith
04-24-2006, 08:49 PM

No, it's not that simple really.

Shit the bed can be taken to mean

1. His mind is fucked up beyond repair, and thus he has "shit the bed" mentally
2. Losing control of ones functions would imply that his body has shit the bed literally and figuratively.
3. The character believes he has "shit the bed" by fucking up his chance to save the human race.

"Shit the bed" is incredibly appropriate I would think.

But if you consider going to google and typing in "shit the bed" to see if it means anything to be "desperately struggling to make the song deeper" I doubt I can change your mind about anything.

aziraphale
04-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I can change my mind if I'm convinced, but I'm not. We're discussing something, so the open-mindedness goes both ways. It's not a big deal.

But...the clear image that I get when I hear the song is this guy who's tied down to his bed in a mental ward, raving about sunkist and sudafed and aliens and the end of the world. In his mind he's this great prophet trying to convice the world ("please believe what I just said..."), but in reality he's this crazy mf shitting his bed in a mental ward.

What I think you're saying is that it's a figure of speech, but I think shitting the bed makes sense literally in this song.

Sephiraith
04-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I can change my mind if I'm convinced, but I'm not. We're discussing something, so the open-mindedness goes both ways. It's not a big deal.

But...the clear image that I get when I hear the song is this guy who's tied down to his bed in a mental ward, raving about sunkist and sudafed and aliens and the end of the world. In his mind he's this great prophet trying to convice the world ("please believe what I just said..."), but in reality he's this crazy mf shitting his bed in a mental ward.

What I think you're saying is that it's a figure of speech, but I think shitting the bed makes sense literally in this song.

I know it makes sense. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying you can take that line literally, figuratively, or both.

Personally, I don't enjoy thinking about people shitting the bed, so I try to think of it in the figurative sense even if it's supposed to be literal.

You're right, I'm right, we all win here.

ljasonl
04-24-2006, 09:12 PM
So do you disagree that he's the patient in the mental ward from Lost Keys?

Lost Keys isn't a mental ward, it's a regular hospital the guy showed up at and nobody knows what to do with him. they're confused when he doesn't have something physically wrong with him ( "what's the problem? "we don't know... his vitals are all normal") because they're not used to dealing with drugged/crazy folks

molehill
04-24-2006, 09:14 PM
I find it amusing that, for such a great album, all so many people are getting from it seems to be 'heheh, he shit the bed'

KFJ
04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't interpret it as literally shitting the bed at all. More like god damn, I fucked up.

insaner
04-24-2006, 10:12 PM
exactamundo

praefector
04-25-2006, 12:58 AM
"shit the bed" fits perfectly

the literal image is clear

and theres a figureative take on the phrase as well which fits the song.

xineax
04-25-2006, 09:43 AM
I thought this was funny...from the newsletter:

"And now, Dave, too, was dialing in wave-lengths. But I had to wonder whether or not if he ever managed to separate the true vibrations from the discords if someone would have to change him like a baby. "

slicknickshady
04-25-2006, 12:23 PM
I wont feel bad if when i have kids if they shit the bed once in a while. I'll just say maynard did not have a porblem with it.