PDA

View Full Version : i had to press STOP after Jambi.

prime weed
04-23-2006, 02:58 PM
did anyone had to compose themsleves after Jambi, like i did. i mean most people heard Vicarious before the album leaked, so when i heard Jambi, i had to press stop and say WHOA! for a second

FistFck
04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
i had play it over.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-23-2006, 03:02 PM
lol yeah Jambi hit me like a fucking Mack truck - takes about 50 listens to come together. Lovin it... Tool does a song for thee history channel...

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 03:24 PM
i didnt stop it
but i was jawless of a bit :)
and drooling too

HalfASandwidch
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Actually... Yeah, I did have to press stop. But it was because I was too busy with something else (my penis) to concentrate on the music.

maelstroms_child
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't agree, it all sounds like regurgitated remixes of tool's old stuff. Flame me if you will, but a fan could have made this.

maelstroms_child
04-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Lolling @ u

I can't help but be dissapointed after expecting something as awseome as their previous works.

Maybe I have just grown apart from them.

Negatorie
04-23-2006, 05:46 PM
no fan could have made this song,

you obviusly dont know much about music, theres only 4 people on earth who could compose something like this

maelstroms_child
04-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Well OBVIOUSLY. You obviously don't know much about Tool's other music.

Brason
04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I really enjoyed Jambi. Actually I am really enjoying it. I like Vicarious, but I've had Jambi on repeat for the past hour. Just great.

champion
04-23-2006, 07:01 PM
So did my friend. He played it, called me, and told me that Jambi was so good that he was afraid to hear the rest of the album.

jackfriday
04-23-2006, 07:15 PM
i took a deep breath and said,"whoa...goddamn!"
to myself.

von satan
04-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't agree, it all sounds like regurgitated remixes of tool's old stuff. Flame me if you will, but a fan could have made this.

are you retarded ?

tell me one other TooL song with a riff like Jambi and talkbox solo before 10K Days ?

Carbonatedgravy
04-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Jambi has not yet peaked for me. I was just scared and confused the first time I heard it... so I can't share that immediate enthusiasm. I'm digging it more now though, and I continue to like it more with each listen.

04-23-2006, 09:30 PM
i took a deep breath and said,"whoa...goddamn!"

Hope you didnt shit the bed :)

I'm also in love with Jambi.... The "shine on" section really takes my breath away... I didnt like it the first time i heard it.... but now i cant stop listening to it :)

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 04:26 PM

I'm also in love with Jambi.... The "shine on" section really takes my breath away... I didnt like it the first time i heard it.... but now i cant stop listening to it :)

Agreed, this whole album just takes time to come together. It's so complicated. Yeah this song is a gem though. Some "Mystical Metal" for ya - yeah!! =)

resonance.
04-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah. It's awesome untill the really good part gets cut off by Peter Frampton.

drumtool
04-24-2006, 04:54 PM
maelstroms_child
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: i had to press STOP after Jambi.

i have all tool music, and listen a lot and guess what im a fan and i could NOT have made this album..but yes some of the music on here does sound like there older stuff(but i think it is there for a reason in the right places) but i here nothing old in jambi
so please given you must have a lot of musical ability since you stated a fan could have made this album(and since i doubt anyone here knows you personally YOU must be THAT fan) so please indulge me give me the riffs they used in their older stuff from jambi?

themayanlion
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
no fan could have made this song,

you obviusly dont know much about music, theres only 4 people on earth who could compose something like this

haha ok now that is ridiculous and you know it.

it's not like they invented a new way of playing music or anything.

be sensible.

tool/rush/mars
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
mayanlion is that you?

themayanlion
04-24-2006, 06:06 PM
holy shit.

its dual xp

rockchalk2006
04-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Me too dude, the first time I heard that (shine on), i kept rewinding it and listened to it over and over again. I love this album.

art_C_me
04-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Yeah.... Jambi had me at hello.... DAMN I luv this song. I have a witness to vouch I've burnt just this one song on a CD all the way through.....

fuckthat
04-24-2006, 08:53 PM
i didn't stop it after the song was over. i did have to sit down after danny and justin mashed my brain out at :05, though. that opening is awesome.

smeefsmeef
04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Jambi has not yet peaked for me. I was just scared and confused the first time I heard it... so I can't share that immediate enthusiasm. I'm digging it more now though, and I continue to like it more with each listen.

I'm in the same boat

The Official Fiction
04-25-2006, 03:11 AM
Jambi rocked my socks off.

jazz
04-25-2006, 04:12 AM
this is my fave song off the album so far...

completetool
04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't know how anybody could stop playing the album upon the first listen at any time. I was way too anxious to hear it all from start to finish. But Jambi did impress me a lot - much more than Vicarious.

emf
04-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Took about 100 listens. Starting to really get it now much like most all tool songs u can't just take them at face value. You relly hace 2 dig in and LISTEN. Great song!

DON IOTAE
04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
I had to press stop bc of the suck factor.

100 times emf? Wow, talk about desensetized...

Opiate_Mass
04-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Agreed, this whole album just takes time to come together. It's so complicated. Yeah this song is a gem though. Some "Mystical Metal" for ya - yeah!! =)
Progressive -.-

Opiate_Mass
04-25-2006, 04:52 PM
maelstroms_child
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: i had to press STOP after Jambi.

i have all tool music, and listen a lot and guess what im a fan and i could NOT have made this album..but yes some of the music on here does sound like there older stuff(but i think it is there for a reason in the right places) but i here nothing old in jambi
so please given you must have a lot of musical ability since you stated a fan could have made this album(and since i doubt anyone here knows you personally YOU must be THAT fan) so please indulge me give me the riffs they used in their older stuff from jambi?
no! ask him to make an album as good as xm days :)
oh and right in two also has nothing old from tool in it
and iota........ no-one fucking asked you

euphoriavis
04-25-2006, 06:09 PM
The best part of the song, for me, is the part from "if i could id wish it all away" untill "Damn my eyes if they should compromise a hope of wanting the divine need
Then I might as well be gone." Just the Harmonys that Maynard did with "Damn my eyes" made me shiver, I LOVE this song!

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Progressive -.-

Hell yeah it is - Rush ain't got nothin on these guys now

prime weed
04-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Jambi was so good that he was afraid to hear the rest of the album.

thats kinda how i was

rderieux
04-26-2006, 08:31 PM
did anyone had to compose themsleves after Jambi, like i did. i mean most people heard Vicarious before the album leaked, so when i heard Jambi, i had to press stop and say WHOA! for a second

I've never, ever read a post on any forum that struck me as more of a personal coincidence. I forced my friend, who was at the time in control of the CD player, to give me "just a minute, please". He was under some eager/hyper spell to continue listening to other tracks. I suppose that this intense opener will have the same effect on most of us true percievers. This was certainly the right choice to open the album with.

Liquidtool
04-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Gave me chills when Maynard started singing. Love this song. My favorite on 10k days.

seanb
04-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Although I maintain that it is impossible to judge a Tool album in such a short amount of time (like everyone else is doing), right now Jambi is my favorite song on 10,000 Days. It is heartstopping. While I like Vicarious, after listening to it a few times I wasn't as blown away as when I first heard Schism before the Lateralus release. However when I finally broke down and downloaded the album (yea yea I'm impatient, it's preordered though), Jambi just blew me away from start to finish.

I can see how some people say this is "recycled Tool", there are definitely throwbacks to Undertow and even APCish vocals in this track, but it's all mixed together in a new and orgasmic way. I can't even give any rational breakdown of my love for this song right now, need to go listen to it for another month straight. Great song, great album, sorry to hear so many Tool fans unhappy with 10,000 Days.

TheResidentEvil
04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
First you get Vicarious and then Jambi gets you even more pumped then wings comes on and it's a total drag.

Dedicated_TOOLfan
04-28-2006, 11:00 AM

I have exact feeling as you. I mean when I first heard the song I really didn't know what to think of it then I started listening to it more and it is starting to warming up to me more.

skyvalley
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
hi, im in italy and the album came out today, the art work is amaxzing. rosetta stoned is my favourite track so far. but jambi, is the most immediate tool track i have heard. the apc influence on the rest of the album cannot go un-noticed. the difference between this and other albums is this is human, way more open than the others, the music isnt as intense, it is more intricate and they are trying new things. the pot 4 mins 33 till 4.49 has a great bit like jesus christ pose at the end. i see why people are disappointed, i expected the anger of lateralus or aenima. but this feels more complete as an album. the vocals are a little low for my taste as maynard has an amazing voice. the old tool stuff mixed in is not lazy ripoffs, everytime it happens it is only for a second or two and always a twisted version of itself. i hear some schism, a bit of h, the pause from eulogy. but instead of the sound being one, not being able to pick out single instruments like lateralus and aenima, this is more open a bit like undertow. not as confrontational. i think the album is a grower, because people had preconceptions beforehand and it takes time to adjust. so far i swing from wanting more old style tool and from wanting to hear more of the new stuff. they need to make the albums bigger.

lachrymoIogy
04-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Jambi is incredible. I almost punched a hole through my wall when i heard the breakdown in it, and the begining is metal as FUCK.

ÆNIMA69
04-30-2006, 02:38 PM
with lateralus, listened to it once...didnt know what to think of most of it, but this cd immediately clicked with me, especially jambi.

silencer51
04-30-2006, 02:45 PM
What an incredible song.

CelestialRender
04-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I hated it on first listen but let the album finish. Was disappointed with Jambi and Wings, liked Pot, LK, RS, kinda got into Right in Two.

After a bunch of listens though Jambi is now by far my favorite song. And Wings come next hehe. They really grew on me once I started learning the lyrics.

scar
04-30-2006, 11:31 PM
seriously, after i listened to vicarious, i had to listen again. after i heard jambi, i had to stop the cd. i thought, "holy shit. what the fuck just happened. am i ready for the rest of this? shouldn't i let this sink in for a while?" the rest of the album is infuckingcredible, but jambi (especially the first 3:55) is so complex and a few shades north of wonderful.
and i'm sure i've said this once in a previous thread in this labyrinth of posts, but i'll say it again due to the relevancy in a few posts on this particular thread: if you think you are hearing old tool in the new music, maybe that's because it is tool. any great evolution that takes place keeps a piece of it's former self intact, building and bettering itself without totally abandoning past experiences. stop trying so hard to hear something COMPLETELY new and please enjoy this evolution.

prime weed
05-01-2006, 10:34 AM
seriously, after i listened to vicarious, i had to listen again. after i heard jambi, i had to stop the cd. i thought, "holy shit. what the fuck just happened. am i ready for the rest of this? shouldn't i let this sink in for a while?" the rest of the album is infuckingcredible, but jambi (especially the first 3:55) is so complex and a few shades north of wonderful.
and i'm sure i've said this once in a previous thread in this labyrinth of posts, but i'll say it again due to the relevancy in a few posts on this particular thread: if you think you are hearing old tool in the new music, maybe that's because it is tool. any great evolution that takes place keeps a piece of it's former self intact, building and bettering itself without totally abandoning past experiences. stop trying so hard to hear something COMPLETELY new and please enjoy this evolution.

nicely put

Supergroup
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah dude.

Kovach
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM

I agree with all my hearts.

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
05-01-2006, 11:03 AM
yeah , jambi seems like a perfect post-lateralus song. imo

seemyshadowchanging
05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
The best part of the song, for me, is the part from "if i could id wish it all away" untill "Damn my eyes if they should compromise a hope of wanting the divine need
Then I might as well be gone." Just the Harmonys that Maynard did with "Damn my eyes" made me shiver, I LOVE this song!
This song is incredible.this album is incredible.i too the first time i heard it had to catch my breath.the songs flow is just perfect.people who hate this album and say there are no climactic parts are just crazy.jambi has one of the best climaxes in it that leaves u breathless.this shit boggle my mind.

jack_without_sally
05-02-2006, 02:42 AM
NA I TOTALLY AGREE!!!.....Vicarious was like, wow good intro but when Jambi kicks in you just go "fuck me they step it up like 1,000,000 times!!!

Mescaline
05-02-2006, 08:15 AM
way!!!

jaysis
05-02-2006, 08:22 AM

totally valid point, maelstrom. i couldn't agree more. i really like the album, but it feel a bit anti-climactic after the 5-year wait, y'know?

mattmav45
05-02-2006, 08:40 AM
The beginning of Jambi blew me away. It's fucking mindblowing.

inthesound
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I don't know, Vicarious and Jambi both just made me think back to Undertow. I wasn't digging the album at all till Wings For Marie started. I'm having a lot of problems getting into this disc. Things rock on for longer than they should, and then songs drone on for longer than they should...not enough balance. Not bad music by any means, but I feel like we've already been there when I listen to the first two tracks, and other "heavier" parts of the album.

.chris

shannyo
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I was overwhelmed by Jambi. It mad me cry a tear of joy listening to it. Very powerful song.

martyr_02
05-02-2006, 09:54 AM
I had to stop the album for five minutes. When Jambi came on i started giggling like a 13 year old girl at a backstreet boy concert.....seriously. IT was so unexpected, as i hadn't heard the album before today, I loved it. I think I stoped again after the pot, just to clear my mind and try to soak it all in.

Life feeds on life
05-02-2006, 10:36 AM
crazy song

Fit4Demolition
05-02-2006, 01:29 PM
i only listened to vicarious once before the album came out, so i knew what it sounded like. then jambi came on and the intro made me just start laughing, its amazing. favorite song so far.

BDT
05-02-2006, 02:32 PM
i only listened to vicarious once before the album came out, so i knew what it sounded like. then jambi came on and the intro made me just start laughing, its amazing. favorite song so far.

same here I laughed then yelled YES! as loud as I could, amazing song.

Fit4Demolition
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
im gonna be listening to 10k Days and TMV at work tonight, they seem like they will fit well.

Nicolai
05-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Honestly I haven't heard any songs besides Vicarious and Jambi since I bought the cd last sunday. Vicarious is awesome. Jambi made me fall out of my chair and immediatly cramp into a foetal position.
So I'm taking the songs one at a time, I'll propably get to Viginti Tres by the end of june (I hope)

The_Burning_red
05-03-2006, 07:11 AM
hi i am new on the site i cannot work out jambi, its a song about falling to ones dark side but feels like from a third person perspective like right in 2

jsn
05-03-2006, 12:39 PM
this song punches you right in the balls.

Mr. Fetus
05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Actually... Yeah, I did have to press stop. But it was because I was too busy with something else (my penis) to concentrate on the music.

yeah, does anyone else end up touching themselves listening to tool? Toolgasm anyone?

The Useful Idiot
05-03-2006, 02:44 PM
First time I heard Jambi was blasting it in the car on the way home from best buy.

smeefsmeef
05-03-2006, 03:35 PM
This song gets better with each listen.

milair47
05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
from 3:46 till 5:27 is just amazing to me

FatalDeath
05-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Brilliant. Just...Brilliant. In every sense of the word.

Azathoth23
05-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Lolling @ u

I can't help but be dissapointed after expecting something as awseome as their previous works.

Maybe you should quit listening to them and buy some lawrence welk albums. Or something of the emo sort.

submachine
05-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Probably the worst guitar in any TooL song, adam sounds like a goddamn woodpecker

dadada dadada dadada dadada dadada dadada dadada

neptuneajax
05-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Lolling @ u

You abolsute DOPE!! This is the craziest display of guitar antics I have heard Adam produce and the ryhthm! What mastery is this?! Originally my Fav song on the Album, this is like eulogy, the flood, and the grudge combined WOOT

Muladhara
05-04-2006, 02:11 AM
NA I TOTALLY AGREE!!!.....Vicarious was like, wow good intro but when Jambi kicks in you just go "fuck me they step it up like 1,000,000 times!!!

Nice septagram.

submachine
05-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Submachine, can you say something different?

sure "something different."

Can you tell us who the fatty is in your avatar?

submachine
05-04-2006, 03:03 AM
fatty?.

Yeah, with the jumbo forehead.

Is that Mrs. Roggles?

Metalgod666
05-04-2006, 04:10 AM
Jambi's one of my favorites, I love the talkbox solo

Fit4Demolition
05-04-2006, 05:46 AM
i cant keep myself from smiling when i hear that solo. and the beginning is awesome.

Arty
05-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Best song in the album without a doubt

Arty
05-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Does it remind anyone of "Hurt" by NIN ...and you could have it all...my empire of dirt?

Bonk
05-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Everything on the album clicked when i got ripped and just sat and listened...

favorite song on the album right now.

EulogyCallinMe
05-04-2006, 12:00 PM
i didn't stop it after the song was over. i did have to sit down after danny and justin mashed my brain out at :05, though. that opening is awesome.
agreed. i first heard the song in tower records while waiting for the midnight release of the album, they had just finished playing parabola in the store and when the next song came on and at the immediate start i said to my friend who i was with "whoa what is this? it kinda sounds a little like Cowboys From Hell. why would they play..." and then maynards unmistakable voice came on and i froze in my tracks and listened up until the talk box solo started and i had run out of the store because it was too overwhelming.

EulogyCallinMe
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
hi, im in italy and the album came out today, the art work is amaxzing. rosetta stoned is my favourite track so far. but jambi, is the most immediate tool track i have heard. the apc influence on the rest of the album cannot go un-noticed. the difference between this and other albums is this is human, way more open than the others, the music isnt as intense, it is more intricate and they are trying new things. the pot 4 mins 33 till 4.49 has a great bit like jesus christ pose at the end. i see why people are disappointed, i expected the anger of lateralus or aenima. but this feels more complete as an album. the vocals are a little low for my taste as maynard has an amazing voice. the old tool stuff mixed in is not lazy ripoffs, everytime it happens it is only for a second or two and always a twisted version of itself. i hear some schism, a bit of h, the pause from eulogy. but instead of the sound being one, not being able to pick out single instruments like lateralus and aenima, this is more open a bit like undertow. not as confrontational. i think the album is a grower, because people had preconceptions beforehand and it takes time to adjust. so far i swing from wanting more old style tool and from wanting to hear more of the new stuff. they need to make the albums bigger.
quoted for being in total agreement.

aperfecttoolapril
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
from what ive read here, either Jambi hits you like a fucking brick to the stomach, or it grows on u....hit me like a brick, brought me to tears!Wow! either way, we all get what we need individually from Tool and all other great music for that matter!

Topher
05-04-2006, 09:12 PM
From right around 3:30 through the little rant, the bass string twanging into silence, then into the solo...goddamn that entire section gives me a fookin chubby!

transcend187
05-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I listened to Vicarious when it was released as a single. I continued to listen to it, nearly all day for an entire week. Loved it, and still love it.

When the album leaked, I told myself I was going to wait for the commercial release. As I started to hear things from friends, and later comments on various message boards, my willpower eroded further and further. I downloaded the album, only to digitally "shelve" it, without listening to it.

After a few days, I cheated my willpower. I said, "Ah hell, I'll just listen to the beginning of Jambi and The Pot..." These were the two songs I was hearing the most about. So I started with The Pot. My first reaction was, "Woah. This is different...and I like it!" I heard about 30 seconds and decided to stop it. Felt kinda guilty.

But, having told myself I was going to listen to the beginning of Jambi, I found it too difficult to back down from that. So I pressed play.

Twenty seconds in, I had to turn it off. I had a look of shock on my face and a tear in my eye. I don't know why Tool does this to me, so little music can evoke such a sudden, strong reaction from me. The harsh intro (a quite uncharacteristic sound for Tool) caught me off-guard, sort of pinning me against my chair...and then Maynard's soft, soothing vocals came in and practically melted me.

Aside from the emotional impact of the music itself, I felt so horrible for cheating myself, and for cheating the music by giving it an early listen. I deleted the rest of the album off my computer, and waited until May 2nd.

When I first bought the album, I forced myself to listen to it all the way through once, in the first sitting - which was good, because I got a sense for the album, and it sort of gave me a frame of reference for listening to the rest of the album. After that, when I started focusing on the individual songs, that was when Jambi really hit me. Though I've continued to listen to the whole album, I have been focusing on Jambi; on learning all of its subtleties, on learning the lyrics and vocal nuances. Its truly a beautiful, striking song. So many times, listening to it, have I started it again because I felt it needed my undivided attention. I have done the same for Wings/10kDays, Intension and Right In Two.

Interestingly, on my first few listens, although I loved the sound of the album, it really took me a while to *get* any of the songs. Even Vicarious, which I loved and had fun with from the first listen, really grew on me and developed a much deeper meaning.

It is a very strong reinforcement of my opinion that none of Tool's albums can be effectively judged within the first day...even the first week of listening. Hell, it took me over a year from when I heard my first few Tool song to when I actually started liking it beyond, "that's a cool song." It takes time, it takes an open mind, and it takes an open heart.

But I really, really love this album.

selectforsocietalsanity
05-05-2006, 04:38 AM
This album is amazing and the music grabbed hold of me and wouldnt let go. Jambi is definately one of my favorites.

Fit4Demolition
05-05-2006, 06:39 AM
ive listened to this album at least twice a day since i bought it, yesterday i actually listened to it three times, almost 4. wow. i havent gotten attached to Right in Two or Rosetta Stoned yet, but im sure i will eventually. i hate skipping songs, so i dont always get to those songs.

Oberon
05-05-2006, 06:42 AM
yeah jambi rocks, but i didn't have to press stop because the song ended like somebody'd pressed stop. What a horrible ending.

BallsOfSatan
05-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Crank it up loud and at 3:55 the breakdown will take your breath away. no kidding

livingdecay
05-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Haha.. whoa. I did the exact same thing.

In fact, I haven't even heard anything past Rosetta Stoned.

I'm digesting it slowly.

deuceman
05-06-2006, 01:25 AM
This might have already been said, but some of the vocal tones and stuff Maynard uses in this song are sooooooooo Undertow.

To me. Who is, really, nothing, just another carbon based oxygen thief.....

smisli
05-07-2006, 05:05 AM
I don't know, but Jambi doesnt work for me at all. I mean, it sounds like an old Undertow stuff. Don't get me wrong, Undertow has some great moments, but I don't see anything special in this song. And people here seem to be really fond of it...

Sleep
05-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Probably my least favourite song on the album. Completely forgettable.

cold and faded anger
05-07-2006, 05:45 AM
This might have already been said, but some of the vocal tones and stuff Maynard uses in this song are sooooooooo Undertow.

To me. Who is, really, nothing, just another carbon based oxygen thief.....

hehe...that was nice and agreed

smisli
05-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Probably my least favourite song on the album. Completely forgettable.yeah
forgettable
altrough I would put Right in 2 as my least favorite

foursixandtwo
05-07-2006, 08:52 AM
from what ive read here, either Jambi hits you like a fucking brick to the stomach, or it grows on u....hit me like a brick, brought me to tears!Wow! either way, we all get what we need individually from Tool and all other great music for that matter!

agreed

Peon
05-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Probably my least favourite song on the album. Completely forgettable.
The talk-box solo is the only thing keeping this track from being my least favorite on the album(that place is saved for Right in Two). Maybe if Maynard had come up with something more to say then "Wish it all away", and Danny and Justin spiced up the rythm section a little more it wouldn't be so bland.

Metalgod666
05-07-2006, 09:59 AM
one of my favorites, but nothing will ever beat WFM/TTD except for Third Eye

pray4mojo
05-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Jambi is incredible. I almost punched a hole through my wall when i heard the breakdown in it, and the begining is metal as FUCK.

Jambi and The Pot were the immediate standouts for me, like a lot of us I'm sure. This is just a great metal song as you said. About 3:40 is when it gets real good. And I can't say enough about the talk box.

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Lolling @ u

AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE

I strongly agree with your statements.

I want my $14.88 back now, god damn it.

Triple Six Mafia
05-10-2006, 06:51 PM
The beginning of the song is amazing,especially those drums that DC is playin in the background......this song is amazing just like all the other songs on this album.

Triple Six Mafia
05-10-2006, 06:55 PM
AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE AGREE

I strongly agree with your statements.

I want my $14.88 back now, god damn it.

Be Patient......and come on, don't you think even if you didn't like the album T O O L desserves your money for all the great moments you've had with them,they opened your third eye....but still your opinion is your opinion.

PriceisRight
05-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Dude....when this track started...IMEDIATLY I was like "Damn! This is heavy for tool." Then the bass and kick drums kicked in and agian I was like "DAMN!"

Over all...the first time I heard it.....I was pretty dumbfounded.

cleith
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
It is so foreign to me (being a huge TOOL fan) to hear others profess to be TOOL fans as well, bash this song and CD. I can honestly say that this is in my top 2 if not all time favorite album. What kind of music were you all expecting? Every album is different from the next and the band is evolving over time. If i want the same ole dried out music I could listen to Paul Simon or someone.

What is the biggest turn off?

I am confused by you.

PriceisRight
05-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I listened to Vicarious when it was released as a single. I continued to listen to it, nearly all day for an entire week. Loved it, and still love it.

When the album leaked, I told myself I was going to wait for the commercial release. As I started to hear things from friends, and later comments on various message boards, my willpower eroded further and further. I downloaded the album, only to digitally "shelve" it, without listening to it.

After a few days, I cheated my willpower. I said, "Ah hell, I'll just listen to the beginning of Jambi and The Pot..." These were the two songs I was hearing the most about. So I started with The Pot. My first reaction was, "Woah. This is different...and I like it!" I heard about 30 seconds and decided to stop it. Felt kinda guilty.

But, having told myself I was going to listen to the beginning of Jambi, I found it too difficult to back down from that. So I pressed play.

Twenty seconds in, I had to turn it off. I had a look of shock on my face and a tear in my eye. I don't know why Tool does this to me, so little music can evoke such a sudden, strong reaction from me. The harsh intro (a quite uncharacteristic sound for Tool) caught me off-guard, sort of pinning me against my chair...and then Maynard's soft, soothing vocals came in and practically melted me.

Aside from the emotional impact of the music itself, I felt so horrible for cheating myself, and for cheating the music by giving it an early listen. I deleted the rest of the album off my computer, and waited until May 2nd.

When I first bought the album, I forced myself to listen to it all the way through once, in the first sitting - which was good, because I got a sense for the album, and it sort of gave me a frame of reference for listening to the rest of the album. After that, when I started focusing on the individual songs, that was when Jambi really hit me. Though I've continued to listen to the whole album, I have been focusing on Jambi; on learning all of its subtleties, on learning the lyrics and vocal nuances. Its truly a beautiful, striking song. So many times, listening to it, have I started it again because I felt it needed my undivided attention. I have done the same for Wings/10kDays, Intension and Right In Two.

Interestingly, on my first few listens, although I loved the sound of the album, it really took me a while to *get* any of the songs. Even Vicarious, which I loved and had fun with from the first listen, really grew on me and developed a much deeper meaning.

It is a very strong reinforcement of my opinion that none of Tool's albums can be effectively judged within the first day...even the first week of listening. Hell, it took me over a year from when I heard my first few Tool song to when I actually started liking it beyond, "that's a cool song." It takes time, it takes an open mind, and it takes an open heart.

But I really, really love this album.
I'd like to cosign that!

NukeAJS
05-14-2006, 09:54 PM
I think it was a crime to following up Vicarious/Jambi up with Wings for Marie. I haven't analyzed the album and I'm sure there is a reason why they did. The outro to Jambi and intro to Wings just don't match up.

Dispositionist
05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
agreed.