PDA

View Full Version : This song is soooo over-rated guys

xpandnz
04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Ok.
No offence, i like this song.
But its not the best song ever, or the greatest tool song IMO.
And that solo by Adam is soooo boring.
The only good parts of this song are when the drums kick in Full Swing.
But otherwise, nice song, but seriously not the best.
Third Eye and Lateralus piss all over this.

And I know, I know its about his mother and stuff.
I respect that
But muscially I find this song rather boring and long.
The lyrics are awesome and Maynards lyrics are really touching (im not kiding) its just I have a prob with the music.

Is there anyone else who feels the same?

Nate-dogg21
04-23-2006, 12:21 PM
It doesnt matter sir. Why do you want to have people on ur side? If you truly believe that statement enough, does it really matter if anyone else feels that way?

Personally, my favorite tool song is still Reflection, but by no means do i think this song is overated. This song just makes me feel GOOOOD when i listen to it. I love it, so no i dont agree with you.

But hey man, you feel that way and thats great. Honestly, who cares what anyone else thinks.

xpandnz
04-23-2006, 12:23 PM
It doesnt matter sir. Why do you want to have people on ur side? If you truly believe that statement enough, does it really matter if anyone else feels that way?

Personally, my favorite tool song is still Reflection, but by no means do i think this song is overated. This song just makes me feel GOOOOD when i listen to it. I love it, so no i dont agree with you.

But hey man, you feel that way and thats great. Honestly, who cares what anyone else thinks.

good post dude
at least ur not a flamer
i have some good feeling in this song, but its just very long and repeats its self alot.
Reflection is awesome, it has alot more change than this song though.

TommyButtchin
04-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Whatever man, you just dont know how to think for yourself and question authority man. You need to open your mind man. Youre not a real Tool fan so GTFO!!

LOL, jk bro. I like the song as well but its certainly not even close to my favorite.

xpandnz
04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Whatever man, you just dont know how to think for yourself and question authority man. You need to open your mind man. Youre not a real Tool fan so GTFO!!

LOL, jk bro. I like the song as well but its certainly not even close to my favorite.

hahaha
u had me scared then
Jambi is becoming my fav at the mo
That talk box solo with the bass line peddling in the back ground with the strong drum beat just takes me on a big high

psychodad
04-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Agreed. I am only sad for the people who do not connect with the song, because I wish they would be able to experience the same feeling as I do, but hopefully they get it from something else then.

Though the topic in this thread is a bit attacking...people don't need to be told if they are overrating this song or not. They are not overrating it, they are just feeling it in a different way than the thread starter.

TommyButtchin
04-23-2006, 12:34 PM
hahaha
u had me scared then
Jambi is becoming my fav at the mo
That talk box solo with the bass line peddling in the back ground with the strong drum beat just takes me on a big high

Yeah i really cant decide if i like jambi or the pot the best. I love how you hear the bass drop down and the beat change at the 3:56 mark on jambi. That part really solidifies the song for me. And the pot is just a groovie tune altogether

TommyButtchin
04-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Jambi sounds like a song that Tool wouldve released back in the seventies had they been around. Im no musician so I dont know what theyre doing to the guitar to give it that trippy sound. Also maynard vocals at the 5:57 mark sounds really seventies-ish, acid trippy whatever. I love it

3_Libras457
04-23-2006, 12:50 PM
This song is awesome

aussiemart
04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok.

I respect that
The lyrics are awesome and Maynards lyrics are really touching (im not kiding) its just I have a prob with the music.

I Agree,,,, so many people loving this song im starting to think i got a fake copy of this song,,all the others sound real.

clemheth
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I totally agree. Maynard's lyrics are very moving but I had massive expectations for this track. The title tracks of the past two albums have both been mind-blowing, and this was really disappointing.

IC
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
right in two is it for me right now...
we'll see if This song comes around. i do think the guitar parts are a bit stretched out, but maybe i'll get used to it more times around

ruiner4482
04-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Everyone is always commenting on the complexity of the music. This isn't meant to be a complex song, with some "wicked" guitar solo. This is meant to be a dark brooding track that is a tribute to his mother. This track does just that, and because of the feelings that this song does evoke in a person this track is my personal favorite.

Brino
04-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Hmmm, I wouldn't say anything "pissess all over it" but I do not think it's their best at all either. It's good and different.

dracomordag
04-23-2006, 06:07 PM
i'd say it pisses all over every other tool song to date with only Lateralus being close, but that's just my opinion. to each his own imo

timstead
04-23-2006, 06:12 PM
I love this song soooo much~
i get a bit lost sometimestho.. withthe monotany *jesus i can't spell* in the middle.. there's a dull section that i havent noticed ever when listening to the album in it's entirety, but i do if i just put that track on..
it's kinda trippy actually...
but again i think it's pretty much the best individual track on the album... even tho i dont dig it as much when i listen to it by itself ...man.. crosssed wires...
like i said trippy

rar85
04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
at first i thought this song was a little too drawn out, but several hours later i found it stuck in my head...in a good way. too early to pick a fave and probably pointless since it will change with the wind, but this one is def on my list of greats.

xpandnz
04-23-2006, 06:41 PM
i really like the part when hes sings "give me my, give me my WINGS!!!"
cause i really like the lyrics, u know, hes singing about his moms death and she really believed in this stuff. When she died, maynard speaks as if he were her saying that she deserves her angel wings, she is the pillar of faith as far as Judith is concerned. Thats a really touching part. But its sad that the song doesnt really move into more emotional moments. The most emotional part of a tool song is in the Live version of Pushit. Its where Adam is doing his solo and Justin is peddling the bass line then he drops in to F and then back to A. Its massive. Almost makes me cry, so many shivers up my spine. I really wish this song could do it. But its not happening. Am i missing something?

jhnygsh
04-23-2006, 06:42 PM
its grown on me a little since i i have first heard it, but after a first run through the album, i was worried i wouldnt often listen to the 18 minutes taken up by both parts. i have found myself skipped by them both most of the time. does remind me of pink floyd though, at least part 1

drumtool
04-23-2006, 10:29 PM
the more i hear it the more i hear little changes, its one of those tool songs that takes a few listens to get into it, i to wasnt overly excited when i first heard it but i think because of all the 10,000 days is heavier talk i got into the heavier tracks first now that i have absorbed a small portion of the heavier tracks now im listening to all the album over and over, but at first its hard to get past vicarious,jambi and the pot...this song will be played a lot(time WILL tell)

s ti N Kfizt
04-23-2006, 10:54 PM
i love all the build up in this song... and especially Maynard's vocals.. i don't think the build up is too long or boring.. but the climax isn't the best ever.. ''give me my, give me my, give me my wiiingsssss'' is great but the music after that is a bit dissapointing.. i love it, but it could have been better. then the end of this song is great again.
also, this song opened actually opened to me after after the first listen quite nicely so now after 10+ listenings it's not growing SO much anymore.. :/

well i have to listen to it more..

ARMZ
04-23-2006, 11:51 PM
I was listening to this song the other night with headphones and I thought it was raining outside so I took my headphones off but it wasn't raining at all, so I'm thinking there might be a rain sound effect in the song to go along with the thunder, which makes me think that the song is meant to give the image of a funeral taking place outside.

erazorhead
04-24-2006, 05:35 AM
i have always thought that the whole rain/thunder storm noises in the background of a song is the tackiest shit ever, hate hate hate. Hearing this track tore me apart inside. i love it (the track), and more so with every listen, but damn that storm shit annoys me. (this was actually something that had me giving credence to the hoax theory for a little while!)

kinda getting over it now though, maybe it will make me a little more open minded next time i hear a song with dumb thunder noise in it. maybe not. either way, pointless rant... but fuck i love this song, i love this album and when i get my greasy mits on the real version on april 29 and get to track four, ill curse tool out forever when i find THEY'VE TAKEN OUT MY BEATIFUL STORM! fukkORZ

erazorhead
04-24-2006, 05:37 AM
I was listening to this song the other night with headphones and I thought it was raining outside so I took my headphones off but it wasn't raining at all, so I'm thinking there might be a rain sound effect in the song to go along with the thunder, which makes me think that the song is meant to give the image of a funeral taking place outside.

yeah dude, theres definately a recording of a storm, or theres something wrong with my ears

Untamed
04-24-2006, 05:59 AM
i have always thought that the whole rain/thunder storm noises in the background of a song is the tackiest shit ever, hate hate hate. Hearing this track tore me apart inside. i love it (the track), and more so with every listen, but damn that storm shit annoys me. (this was actually something that had me giving credence to the hoax theory for a little while!)

kinda getting over it now though, maybe it will make me a little more open minded next time i hear a song with dumb thunder noise in it. maybe not. either way, pointless rant... but fuck i love this song, i love this album and when i get my greasy mits on the real version on april 29 and get to track four, ill curse tool out forever when i find THEY'VE TAKEN OUT MY BEATIFUL STORM! fukkORZ

lol awesome.

selfimportanttoolfan
04-24-2006, 06:37 AM
Ok.

I respect that

i feel exactly, 100000% the same as you. the song doesn't do the lyrics justice.

Peon
04-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Albeit Adam's solo is pretty boring, the song is more like a raga. You gotta listen more to what's happening with the texture and less to what's happening with composition.

erazorhead
04-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Albeit Adam's solo is pretty boring, the song is more like a raga. You gotta listen more to what's happening with the texture and less to what's happening with composition.

agreed

when you haters hear this live you'll shit your pants

toocooltool
04-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Why do so many people care what other people think about the songs.. enjoy them yourselves you SHEEP you.

hbynoe
04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Why do so many people care what other people think about the songs.. enjoy them yourselves you SHEEP you.
:)

#Notion
04-24-2006, 01:15 PM
This song isn't even released yet. No way can it be "over-rated"

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 04:50 PM
It's just really complicated, and hits you in bits and pieces. Or I dfind it that way anyway. As my memory gets a hold of it, it gets better. And I find the melodies very deeply lodged in my mind. It is a really deep composition that takes alot of listens and alot of time to absorb. But the "Give me my wings" part does give me chills every single time I hear it, absolutely love that part. Yeah live I bet this will be spectacular. Maynard's vocals in front would be better I think.

tool/rush/mars
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
My main issue with Wings of Marie is the bass being too loud during many parts of the song. How could they let it be released like this? I foresee remastering in the future.

randomhero8823
04-24-2006, 04:55 PM
This song is just pure straight forward emotion. whats wrong with that? It doesnt need time changes or screaming or complex drums ect.... its just amazing. The bass, the thunder,,,, maynards god like vocals... wow!

badshirt
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Starting at "high as a wave...." Maynards lyrics, harmonies and weaving melodies are amazing. From that point on the track just moves - all payoff. Amazing.

I don't think the bass lvls will be as crazy in the final mix.

a788
04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
when maynard says,

"it's time now. my time now!
give me my, give me my wings."

i am overwhelmed by emotion everytime.
this song is beautiful.

new dimension_disposition
04-24-2006, 05:25 PM
This fucken song is awesome. I will refuse to hear musical nerds argue otherwise.

OpenYour3rdEye
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
when maynard says,

"it's time now. my time now!
give me my, give me my wings."

i am overwhelmed by emotion everytime.
this song is beautiful.

i love this song so much. even though im a guitarist, its maynards voice that i love so much. the way he uses it by singing really low, then harmonizes it later in the song, and then brings it higher, its just beautiful. in my opinion, this is easily one of his best songs (in terms of his singing). and dont get me started on the lyrics, they are just so emotional. it really tears at me, hearing him talk about how wonderful his mother was and how she was so faithful and she didnt deserve anything that happened to her.

Emericana
04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
i personally dont really like this song all too much. its not the WORST song tool has done (LAPD is lol) but it is not by any means one of the best IMO. i dont get it i dont see what is so special about it. too many christian references for me in it. i honestly dont like hte fact that he sings about angels and going to heaven and whatnot it seems much more pro religion than anti which i really dislike. yes i realize its about his mom but honestly, id much rather hear him sing about other things.

awaiting flames lol

randomhero8823
04-24-2006, 07:54 PM
i personally dont really like this song all too much. its not the WORST song tool has done (LAPD is lol) but it is not by any means one of the best IMO. i dont get it i dont see what is so special about it. too many christian references for me in it. i cant stand that i honestly dont like hte fact that he sings about angels and going to heaven and whatnot it seems much more pro religion than anti which i really dislike.

awaiting flames lol

I FLAME THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!!!!!!! FLAME FLAME FLAME!

hanger25934
04-24-2006, 07:59 PM
flame flame flame. this song takes tool to a new level.

P.S. notice my RARE post. i visit frequently but don't post very often. too many retards on here nowadays.

Artistic Sickness
04-24-2006, 08:09 PM
you've been here for a couple months and have 280 posts.
How is that rare?

.. but i agree on the whole "another level" thang...

Emericana
04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
i just listened to it after making my post a few posts up. i just flat out do not like this song. i hate calling soemthing "un tool like" because tool wrote this song but to me it honestly seems like it is. this song lacks the depth that the vast majority of their songs have and like i said in my other post i really dislike the christain references in it. it almost to me seems like maynard has started believing. the main thing i dislike about it though is the depth. i really wouldnt mind this if the song was relativley short (ie swamp song, jerkoff, etc) but to be over 15 minutes long (including wings) ? i guess it just annoys me and i just find it way too different than every other tool song for me to enjoy.

Phorcany
04-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I like this song alot for a song. For a tool song , it's pretty good. The thing I noticed about this album is that it almost seems like the music was written to fit the lyrics and the notes maynard sings, as opposed to every other album where it seem as if maynard tailored everything he did to the already complete music. I'm sure it's not really like that either way , but thats the way it seems.

sonicdescent
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
like i said in my other post i really dislike the christain references in it. it almost to me seems like maynard has started believing.

I think you need to read those lyrics in context.

The Village Too
04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I hate the stupid droning repetition of this song and i hate how stupid droning repetition is a fucking salient theme throughout this entire album. What Tool needs to do is oust Isis and find a new best friend. Tool isn't even repeating anything that great; it's just a stupid lame melodramatic minor bass thing with stupid guitar that would be overly lame if it had lasted for only 5 seconds, but no, they make this epic thing out of it and call it the best song they've ever written. but i guess repetition is all the rave these days so people are just eating this shit up

macfreak
04-24-2006, 09:42 PM
love this song

ProdigyDub
04-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I agree that it's not even one of the 3 best songs on the CD. It's a good song though.