PDA

View Full Version : moments on this track that grab you by the balls

placidium
04-23-2006, 11:13 AM
the drum fill after the second chorus.. the 2nd "cuz i need to watch things die." that faint ringing before the final build-up, during the second trance riff.. the climax (obviously).. those are just perfect moments, to me..

the vocals in this song are achingly beautiful. when he says "it's like blood to a vampire.." the way he does.. i don't think i've ever been so captivated, so on the edge..

Ancalagon
04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
"So it is, so it's always been ..." and the subsequent instrumental buildup rank among Tool's best.

Volrath
04-23-2006, 11:26 AM
"credulous at best your desire to believe in, angels in the hearts of men" That's some powerfull songwriting which never stops to send shivers down my spine.

IC
04-23-2006, 11:32 AM
"credulous at best your desire to believe in, angels in the hearts of men" That's some powerfull songwriting which never stops to send shivers down my spine.
that part and
"the universe is hostile (the way he sings hostile AHH) so impersonal, etc. from there on

swash
04-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Pretty much the whole song. This is my favorite track on the record.

Heroin
04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
"So it is, so it's always been ..." and the subsequent instrumental buildup rank among Tool's best.

agreed

aicrag88
04-23-2006, 02:02 PM

i agree

ID-entity
04-23-2006, 03:57 PM
The last chorus when Maynard steps it up a notch and the following outro. Basically, the last 30 seconds of the song grabs my scrotum and squeezes.

Brino
04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
All after "...the universe is hostile..."

But for me I likey "Part Vampire
Part Warrior
Carnivore and
Warrior"

MMM...Tool.

werkzeug
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
We all feed on tragedy...its like blood to a vampire.

MaynardLD50
04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
its all about the Vicarously I, LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES, YOU ALL NEED IT TO DONT LIE.

Goose bumps

chalk_line
04-23-2006, 08:14 PM
its all about the Vicarously I, LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES, YOU ALL NEED IT TO DONT LIE.

Goose bumps

goose bumps yes, and i think i peed a little

stinky
06-23-2006, 04:06 AM
the drum fill after the second chorus.. the 2nd "cuz i need to watch things die." that faint ringing before the final build-up, during the second trance riff.. the climax (obviously).. those are just perfect moments, to me..

the vocals in this song are achingly beautiful. when he says "it's like blood to a vampire.." the way he does.. i don't think i've ever been so captivated, so on the edge..

Don't get me wrong. I totally love this song, but the "blood to a vampire" line sounds like something a teenage wannabe lyricist would write. It has always been like the imperfection on the diamond that is this song (to give an equally lame simile).

mr. nikki jensen
06-23-2006, 04:41 AM
from about 4:09 and to the end, this songs i phenomenal. gives me a 11,11 inch rock hard boner on.

pau
06-24-2006, 03:33 AM
most shivering bit for me is "while the mother holds her child - watches him die".

The concept blows your heart - try to get more emotive than that image..

Snakedragon
06-24-2006, 03:44 AM
The last chorus when Maynard steps it up a notch and the following outro. Basically, the last 30 seconds of the song grabs my scrotum and squeezes.

that

fulmination
06-24-2006, 04:05 AM
most shivering bit for me is "while the mother holds her child - watches him die".

The concept blows your heart - try to get more emotive than that image..
Definitely, I agree. The first time I heard the song I knew there was both the cool tinge of staring like a zombie and the emotion and meaning striking right at his heart as he watches it. You can just *hear* it in his voice.

This song is totally energetic and tugs at both ends of the emotional spectrum. Very cool.

Prometheus
06-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't get me wrong. I totally love this song, but the "blood to a vampire" line sounds like something a teenage wannabe lyricist would write. It has always been like the imperfection on the diamond that is this song (to give an equally lame simile).
sadly, i agree.

Dolophane
06-24-2006, 10:41 PM
I dig the "why can't we just admit it" theme, in its variations forms. It's unlike any of the stuff they've done before, which is why I find it so fun.

The one problem I have with this song is the last note Maynard hits on "much better you than I." I've never been big on the "APC is ruining Tool" thing, but I do think that the way he ends on a subdued low note instead of a powerful high note is something that was a direct influence from APC. A few other people have noticed this, too, and it's what really keeps this song from being one of my favorites on the album.

FatherMuck
07-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I love the While the mother, holds her child / Watches him die / Hands to the sky cryin, / "Why, oh why?"

And Maynard bluntly answers: "Cuz I need to watch things die."

Gotta love gallows humour.

lizbiz
07-04-2006, 11:32 AM
"The universe is hostile, so impersonal. Devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been!"

The intensity, the authority and brutal honesty of those lyrics get me every time.

mulhollanddriven
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
The very first drum fill after "Its no fun....til....some...one...dies..." with that snare roll that goes to the ride cymbal. That is Tool.

wearethestories
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
"The universe is hostile, so impersonal. Devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been!"

The intensity, the authority and brutal honesty of those lyrics get me every time.
ditto...

chills up the spine every time

pau
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM
a potentially extremely tough and broadly-applicable question, but:

music (and especially tool) has the ability to make shivers run up my spine too, and raise all the hairs on my arms, etc. However the effects of the music subside after a while, eg. i find it very difficult to get the same feelings from songs off Aenima and Laturalus as i do from the new 10K Days tunes, because i've become desensitised to them i guess.

whaddaya think is this inevitable or just a state of mind which can be overcome?

flyingsoot
07-06-2006, 07:01 AM
"neither nor brave nor bold, why is the story so? We wont give pause til the blood is flowing!!" aaahhh tellin it like it is tool style...

flyingsoot
07-06-2006, 07:05 AM
a potentially extremely tough and broadly-applicable question, but:

music (and especially tool) has the ability to make shivers run up my spine too, and raise all the hairs on my arms, etc. However the effects of the music subside after a while, eg. i find it very difficult to get the same feelings from songs off Aenima and Laturalus as i do from the new 10K Days tunes, because i've become desensitised to them i guess.

whaddaya think is this inevitable or just a state of mind which can be overcome?

by the way, i find that i can get sick of listenin to tool sometimes, but then i take a few weeks off em and next time i listen they're like completely brand new! id put it down to the depth of their compositon, i jus lke admirin it...aaaahhh the genius.

pau
07-06-2006, 08:13 AM
by the way, i find that i can get sick of listenin to tool sometimes, but then i take a few weeks off em and next time i listen they're like completely brand new! id put it down to the depth of their compositon, i jus lke admirin it...aaaahhh the genius.

yah, moderation is necessary at least sometimes :P

Caduceus11
07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
My 2 year old son loves the part "Lalalalalala la la LIE!" you should hear him sing it...as soon as the song starts he starts singing that part.

One part that no one here has mentioned as far as lyrics go...and its not really a big part, but its something that has drawn my attention....
"that's my kind of story"
I've incorporated that into my speech...something about it....its my kind of story...

Caduceus11
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
yah, moderation is necessary at least sometimes :P

I understand....but I still have yet to tire of the 10,000 days...every now and then I take a TOOL break but for the most part, I drive people crazy listening to tool and APC....if ever have a doubt about what to listen to, I just put in a TOOL/APC mp3 disk and hit random.....

that's my kind of music!

FRANK THE TANK
07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
All after "...the universe is hostile..."

But for me I likey "Part Vampire
Part Warrior
Carnivore and
Warrior"

MMM...Tool.

AGREED!

static
07-07-2006, 11:50 AM
"stare like a junkie, into the TV; stare like a ZOMBIE..."

First time I heard that...

I shit my pants.

Vicari0us
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
From the first time he says "Cause I need to watch things die" till the ending high pitched "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I" and finally the last heavy riffs to close the song are just awesome with full notched volume.

Caduceus11
07-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Ok, now that we've established what parts or lines we really like....let's clarify. Are we talking about MEANING or just the sheer beauty of the poetry? To me, one of the most meaningful and powerful statements is the "Devour to survive so it is, so its always been." That is so true....beautiful and overwhelming in itself...and I think is the theme of the song....one of them anyway....

bales
07-07-2006, 06:21 PM
i love the main riff to the song.. well i don't know if its the main riff, but it is the 2nd riff of the song after the 'ringing bells' go off and the energy picks up.. its at 0:56. to me, this riff IS tool - there is something about it that just oozes the.. uh.. toolness, for lack of a better word.

i remember when i d/led the single, as soon as i heard this riff i just said to myself in my inner george tikay voice 'ohhh myy goooddd....'

Dark Globe
07-07-2006, 09:47 PM
when this song leaked, i left it on repeat

anarcho-commie
07-09-2006, 12:11 AM
"the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive so it is so it always been." and then after a couple of lines he screams "vicariously I, live while the whole world dies" and the song ends.

That's the sickest part.

Caduceus11
07-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Its ALL so sick....I can't say what's the sickest part. And yes, even now, I try to listen to something else and it just won't do. I have been listening non-stop since the leak...yes, I went and paid for it the day it came out, but who could resist the early leak>? I wouldn't have been part of the leak if I had no intention of buying the disk.
Anyway, yea, when I first heard VICARIOUS on the radio....DOOD! I was instantly empowered. I have driven anyone who spends anytime with me crazy with TOOL. So much wisdom in it. Most people just think I'm fanatical...which is true....because NO other band in the world can speak to my ever so deep subconscious like TOOL. Yes, APC was close but nothing can touch tool. I listen to the new disk at least 11 times a day....good for the soul....

W_I_E
07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
the hole songs pretty much "grabs me by the balls"

Chai_nese
07-09-2006, 06:11 PM
"Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

La la la la la la la-lie"

and the first line of the last chorus repeat.

Perfect.

crispy
07-11-2006, 09:41 PM
the hole songs pretty much "grabs me by the balls"

Fuck yeah man. Fuck yeah

HelenA
07-12-2006, 01:24 AM
Its ALL so sick....I can't say what's the sickest part. And yes, even now, I try to listen to something else and it just won't do. I have been listening non-stop since the leak...yes, I went and paid for it the day it came out, but who could resist the early leak>? I wouldn't have been part of the leak if I had no intention of buying the disk.
Anyway, yea, when I first heard VICARIOUS on the radio....DOOD! I was instantly empowered. I have driven anyone who spends anytime with me crazy with TOOL. So much wisdom in it. Most people just think I'm fanatical...which is true....because NO other band in the world can speak to my ever so deep subconscious like TOOL. Yes, APC was close but nothing can touch tool. I listen to the new disk at least 11 times a day....good for the soul....
I completely agree!!! I look fanatical too. My son and I 'sold out to the man yesterday' and bought t-shirts. And Tool is SO good for the soul especially 'right in two' - that song is inspiring. I feel like an addict.

Ha ha Iota: top of the page!

Caduceus11
07-14-2006, 09:35 AM
the WHOLE CD grabs ME by the balls!

Infinity
07-18-2006, 03:57 PM
"the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive so it is so it always been." and "Frown out your one face, but with the other" do it for me. When I hear it, it just strikes me down and leaves me outside myself frantically searching for a touchstone to claim.

..Viginti Tres..
07-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Incredulous at best your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men
Pull your head on out
Your head believes it give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again
The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive, so it is
So it's always been

We all feed on tragedy
It's like blood to a vampire

Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies
Much better you than I

---

The whole fuckin last minute!

Chalingo
07-28-2006, 08:31 AM
The first time I listened to it the part that really blew me away was the guitar right at the very end. It is so fast.

InsolentBystander
07-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Incredulous at best your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men
Pull your head on out
Your head believes it give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again
The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive, so it is
So it's always been

We all feed on tragedy
It's like blood to a vampire

Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies
Much better you than I

---

The whole fuckin last minute!

Agreed. Although I’d say that this song has more awesome moments than any other song on the album (except for “10,000 Days”). I feel ashamed that the single is one of my favourite tracks on the album! Lol. But it’s sooo damn good!

LRonHubbard
07-29-2006, 07:16 AM

from this point in the song , until the end kicks my ass!~!~!!

and then just when i think I can rest, JAMBI begins!