PDA

View Full Version : Insight into Maynard's ideas and beliefs (related to 10,000 Days).

panocha21
04-23-2006, 09:30 AM
I've been reading posts for this song and people are just completely baffled. Christians have flooded the board claiming Maynard has converted. Atheists say the music is completely from the point of view of Judith Marie. Well, here is evidence that the truth is actually somewhere in the middle. I know people will dissect the evidence I put forth and will try to skew Maynard's words to conform to their own. So I warn that posts following this thread will go many places that it does not need to be since the answer is here in post number 1.

Go to www.aperfectcircle.com and click "Music". On the left side just under the word "music". Click on the "Watch" link. Find the white bold letters that say "Webcast Interview" and watch the video. Fast forward to about 11:00 into the video and listen to what Maynard says. A lot of the answers we have about this song are answered in the two minutes it takes Maynard to answer the question.

When asked about whether the songs in Mer De Noms have bible significance, Maynard answered the question by saying the following:

"I'm a fairly spiritual person and I do a lot of study and research into the mythology. And esoteric studies are not necessarily Christian, per se. I think all those spiritual leaders had their point, and they were all pretty much saying the same thing across the board--pretty much. It was when the (something) part came into play. When the people that are manipulative figured out a way to make a living on those truths which are free; the truth is free. And once you understand the basic truth about true nature being spirit and light, god, love -- all of that is unconditional and eternal. There you go, what more do you really need to know? All those studies are pretty much just a process of becoming more conscious--becoming a conscious being in this place and time. And to manipulate people and to inflict rules on any of that stuff is kind of -- you're missing the point, really. Compassion, all this stuff, just unconditional love is pretty much the goal. Having said that, most of the songs have very spiritual references but they're not necessarily specific references to Chritianity, although, from what I understand, having traveled around the midwest quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming. So I guess the choice now is we could decide whether we should spit or swallow. What is the next question?"

Note: the transcript isn't perfect.

Sagacious Foetu
04-23-2006, 09:46 AM
right.

okay yeah.

i think most of us knew that, for the most part, anyway.
i mean it's not like this sort of thing isn't known, whether or not you have heard that interview or read the transcript before, or even knew that this interview ever took place, i think most of us know kind of how maynard feels about religion and spirituality.

or maybe it's just me. which would be kind of sad if it's true.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
04-23-2006, 09:53 AM
I've been reading posts for this song and people are just completely baffled. Christians have flooded the board claiming Maynard has converted. Atheists say the music is completely from the point of view of Judith Marie. Well, here is evidence that the truth is actually somewhere in the middle. I know people will dissect the evidence I put forth and will try to skew Maynard's words to conform to their own. So I warn that posts following this thread will go many places that it does not need to be since the answer is here in post number 1.

Go to www.aperfectcircle.com and click "Music". On the left side just under the word "music". Click on the "Watch" link. Find the white bold letters that say "Webcast Interview" and watch the video. Fast forward to about 11:00 into the video and listen to what Maynard says. A lot of the answers we have about this song are answered in the two minutes it takes Maynard to answer the question.

When asked about whether the songs in Mer De Noms have bible significance, Maynard answered the question by saying the following:

"I'm a fairly spiritual person and I do a lot of study and research into the mythology. And esoteric studies are not necessarily Christian, per se. I think all those spiritual leaders had their point, and they were all pretty much saying the same thing across the board--pretty much. It was when the (something) part came into play. When the people that are manipulative figured out a way to make a living on those truths which are free; the truth is free. And once you understand the basic truth about true nature being spirit and light, god, love -- all of that is unconditional and eternal. There you go, what more do you really need to know? All those studies are pretty much just a process of becoming more conscious--becoming a conscious being in this place and time. And to manipulate people and to inflict rules on any of that stuff is kind of -- you're missing the point, really. Compassion, all this stuff, just unconditional love is pretty much the goal. Having said that, most of the songs have very spiritual references but they're not necessarily specific references to Chritianity, although, from what I understand, having traveled around the midwest quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming. So I guess the choice now is we could decide whether we should spit or swallow. What is the next question?"

Note: the transcript isn't perfect.

Panacho,
Thank you, thank you for this.
you have brought the bread to the table.
you have done some research which can't be that hard because he basically says this in any interview on the subject of spirituality.
It's not a big deal what maynard believes,it's when people put start putting shit into his mouth.
Looks like the majority of christians are swallowing.

pussErox
04-23-2006, 11:18 AM
well, I have read the lyrics over and over, and i believe the setting for this song could be at the actual funeral. & maynards reflections on it. Sounds to me like he is talking about being there and listening to the priest speak to the 'congregation'. maybe his feelings about some of the people he saw there. For the first half of the song at least. This part:

"listen to the tales and romanticize,
how we follow the path of the hero
boast about the day when the rivers overun
how we rised to the height of our halo

listen to the tales as we all rationalize
our way into the arms of a savior,
fading all the trials and the tribulations,
none of us have actually been there,
not like you,

ignorant fibbers in the congregation,
gather around spewing sympathy,
spare me,
none of them can even hold a candle up to you
blinded by choices hippocrites wont seek,

but nothing but the ? of judas,
who could deny you were the one who would have made it,
youll have a piece of the divine,"

THEN SOMETHING THE PRIEST SAYS, OR HE REMEMBERS FROM THE FUNERAL -

"this little light of mine, it gives your past unto me,
ill let it shine,
to guide you safely on your way,
your way home"

THEN, HIS RESPONSE TO THOSE WORDS -

"ohh, what are they going to do when the lights go down
without you guide them home to zion

what are they going to do when the river is overrun
other than tremble incessantly,

high as a wave but ill rise on up off/on the ground

You are the light and the wave, they've only read about

i only pray, god only knows when to lift you out?

10000 days in the fire is long enough, your going home."

I beleive it is maynard is coming to terms with his mothers death, and he is just showing respect for her beliefs. As far as him finding jesus, i think he is still pretty cynical about it all. But for her out of respect. He speaks the way he does. About someone close to him, that became an even bigger believer after her accident. You know the rest...

Then again, who knows. Maynard could just be babbling. What do you think?

Ancalagon
04-23-2006, 11:29 AM
It seems so easy to me. He didn't convert to Christianity parsay, just respected- at least here in his mother's eulogy- the beliefs which comforted his mother. The song also condemns hypocrisy very well at the beginning. "Listen to the tales as we all rationalize our way into the arms of a Savior" and "shak[ing] your fists at the gates" are not very friendly to Christianity. See, pugs, I agree with you, but the antagonizing way in which you attack Christianity and Christians makes you look like an ass. This coming from someone who is basically on your side here.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
04-23-2006, 12:28 PM
well, I have read the lyrics over and over, and i believe the setting for this song could be at the actual funeral. & maynards reflections on it. Sounds to me like he is talking about being there and listening to the priest speak to the 'congregation'. maybe his feelings about some of the people he saw there. For the first half of the song at least. This part:

"listen to the tales and romanticize,
how we follow the path of the hero
boast about the day when the rivers overun
how we rised to the height of our halo

listen to the tales as we all rationalize
our way into the arms of a savior,
fading all the trials and the tribulations,
none of us have actually been there,
not like you,

ignorant fibbers in the congregation,
gather around spewing sympathy,
spare me,
none of them can even hold a candle up to you
blinded by choices hippocrites wont seek,

but nothing but the ? of judas,
who could deny you were the one who would have made it,
youll have a piece of the divine,"

THEN SOMETHING THE PRIEST SAYS, OR HE REMEMBERS FROM THE FUNERAL -

"this little light of mine, it gives your past unto me,
ill let it shine,
to guide you safely on your way,
your way home"

THEN, HIS RESPONSE TO THOSE WORDS -

"ohh, what are they going to do when the lights go down
without you guide them home to zion

what are they going to do when the river is overrun
other than tremble incessantly,

high as a wave but ill rise on up off/on the ground

You are the light and the wave, they've only read about

i only pray, god only knows when to lift you out?

10000 days in the fire is long enough, your going home."

I beleive it is maynard is coming to terms with his mothers death, and he is just showing respect for her beliefs. As far as him finding jesus, i think he is still pretty cynical about it all. But for her out of respect. He speaks the way he does. About someone close to him, that became an even bigger believer after her accident. You know the rest...

Then again, who knows. Maynard could just be babbling. What do you think?

Sounds like your on to something.
i'll have to reread this and think about it.
thanks.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
04-23-2006, 12:47 PM
It seems so easy to me. He didn't convert to Christianity parsay, just respected- at least here in his mother's eulogy- the beliefs which comforted his mother. The song also condemns hypocrisy very well at the beginning. "Listen to the tales as we all rationalize our way into the arms of a Savior" and "shak[ing] your fists at the gates" are not very friendly to Christianity. See, pugs, I agree with you, but the antagonizing way in which you attack Christianity and Christians makes you look like an ass. This coming from someone who is basically on your side here.

Sorry if i come out as an ass.
I don't think this character has come to respect her beliefs.
i think this character has been blown away,impressed, with compassion that she has surpassed her beliefs.
That she was capable of doing that which not even her god could do or the fellow members in the congregation.Something they can only read about.
If the character respected her beliefs he would know just like the rest of congregation that she is below an authoritive figure.

However this is not how the character see's his mother.
He's see's her as someone who has exceeded all that christianity stands for,
and see's her as someone who has exceeded even the image of the Christian god.
Unconditional one.
Non-judgemental.

This is powerful.