PDA

View Full Version : I know who leaked the album.....

xDxOxNx
04-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Now that I got your attention....I'm probably definitely wrong and if I am, please tell me in your most foul mouthed flamming way, I'll be pleased ;)

The album was leaked by Maynard himself....

I think I read somewhere that this was their last record with Volcano records, whom they may have had a bad repore with. Maynard said in an interview that they make most of their money through tours and NOT album sales. How much of a percent does a record company get through those sales? I dunno, but I've heard its alot. So, if the album is leaked then record sales will go drastically down, therefore fucking their record company one last time. Kinda like a final stand to the enemy, however fucked up it may be.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong, but it's kind of a fun "mafia/western movie" sorta conspiracy theory.

tanque
04-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Now that I got your attention....I'm probably definitely wrong and if I am, please tell me in your most foul mouthed flamming way, I'll be pleased ;)

I think I read somewhere that this was their last record with Volcano records, whom they may have had a bad repore with. Maynard said in an interview that they make most of their money through tours and NOT album sales. How much of a percent does a record company get through those sales? I dunno, but I've heard its alot. So, if the album is leaked then record sales will go drastically down, therefore fucking their record company one last time. Kinda like a final stand to the enemy, however fucked up it may be.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong, but it's kind of a fun "mafia/western movie" sorta conspiracy theory.

I think they've mentioned in interviews that they consider their album essentially promotion for their tour, and under that theory, fewer album sales equals less promotion equals less ticket sales.

Jimmeny
04-23-2006, 07:02 AM
You can't say things like this around these parts, the fanboys will eat you alive.

Nice theory though, I like it.

kaiowas_is
04-23-2006, 07:05 AM
the maynard fans will rip u to bits for this, but yeh come to think i thought the band were the only ones with the album, so how did get it leaked if they were so apparently 'secure' about it?

reedc33
04-23-2006, 07:07 AM
I think they've mentioned in interviews that they consider their album essentially promotion for their tour, and under that theory, fewer album sales equals less promotion equals less ticket sales.

But you'd have to logicaly conclude that album sales plus downloads equals more ticket sales, not just album sales.

Anyways, it's a bullshit theory and they want you to buy the album, of course. It seems that every new album leaks before it hits the stores. It's not like the pressed cds are in Ft. Knox or anything, someone is inevitably going to ge their hands on it and leak it.

thejesus
Yeah, I saw something in Rolling Stone circa 2002 that showed how much money different artists made from touring and what percentage of their total revenue it accounted for...

Tool's touring revenue accounts for something like 80% of all their income...the remianing 20% are divided amongst merchandise, album sales, promotional events, interviews, etc.

tamer
logically if anything it would mean more ticket sales, because it was free and 2 weeks early more people have it and have had a chance to absorb it.

magnolia
04-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Album sales won't drastically go down at all. Not anymore than any other album that's been released within the last 6 years.

perhan
04-23-2006, 07:09 AM
funny post.

theimage13

I think that hearing the album would be the tour promo, not buying the whole package. Therefore, online availability = more listeners = better ticket sales.

Not that an early leak would factor into this, anyway. Once it's out, it's online, so it's not a question of IF people will steal it, but rather, when.

And I really can't see Maynard putting his own record out online before the release date. Everything I've heard him say during APC interviews has been strongly anti-file sharing, stating over and over again that "this is my music to distribute, not yours." Doesn't sound like the type of attitude that would lend itself to an early leak....

spawk
So, if the album is leaked then record sales will go drastically down
totally false. how can you affirm that ?

Vexom
logically if anything it would mean more ticket sales, because it was free and 2 weeks early more people have it and have had a chance to absorb it.

logically its not going to sell any more tickets because every tool concert sells out anyway.

kanye is crazy
04-23-2006, 07:19 AM
First of all, nobody can really say whether or not there is a correlation between album sales and tour revenue. Some artists make most of their money touring, while others make their money off of their albums. Plus, I believe that downloaded music is what puts more fans in the seats because it will allow the music to reach more people.

Second of all, I know who is responsible for the leak. George Bush authorized Dick Cheney to leak and Cheney did so through Scooter Libby, who in turn laundered facts through the New York Times. Eventually it was Bob Novak who first printed it.

xDxOxNx
04-23-2006, 07:20 AM
totally false. how can you affirm that ?

Forget about being the only person who has heard of tool. Believe it or not there are other people who have this album already who don't even know what these forums are, but listen to the radio and have heard Vicarious and love it. These people have the album and may not buy it when it comes out....This album is available to EVERYONE with an internet connection world wide, like it or not, album sales WILL go down.

kacpr
04-23-2006, 07:25 AM
It wasn't Maynard, come on, what's the point of doing that for him at all ?!

bullshit

Sigurd
04-23-2006, 07:25 AM
but again, didn't Maynard say there were only 4 copies of the album and they all belonged to a band member? And weren't all the listening parties hosted BY the band? Who the hell leaked it?

anagram?
04-23-2006, 07:26 AM
logically its not going to sell any more tickets because every tool concert sells out anyway.

I was about to say the exact same thing, but you beat me to it. Tool didn't have to release anything this year...if they had announced some random 2006 tour, they would have sold out every show they booked.

anagram?
04-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Forget about being the only person who has heard of tool. Believe it or not there are other people who have this album already who don't even know what these forums are, but listen to the radio and have heard Vicarious and love it. These people have the album and may not buy it when it comes out....This album is available to EVERYONE with an internet connection world wide, like it or not, album sales WILL go down.

And how is that different than if the album "leaked" on May 3rd?

tanque
04-23-2006, 07:30 AM
But you'd have to logicaly conclude that album sales plus downloads equals more ticket sales, not just album sales.

Anyways, it's a bullshit theory and they want you to buy the album, of course. It seems that every new album leaks before it hits the stores. It's not like the pressed cds are in Ft. Knox or anything, someone is inevitably going to ge their hands on it and leak it.

My impression (I may be wrong) is that the vast majority of people who have downloaded it plan on purchasing the album come May 2nd. I doubt anyone who is unwilling to pay roughly $20 for the album would be willing to shell out absurdly inflated prices for a concert ticket, or even the $65 or so that they started at.

Anyway, we agree. There's no way Tool wants their album to leak. I think they've said in interviews that they want people to get the whole package and not just some compressed mp3's. We should all probably get over this idea that the guys in Tool live for any oppurtunity to fuck with anyone's head.

Light Reflections
04-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Silly monkeys...

kholdstayr
04-23-2006, 07:32 AM
but again, didn't Maynard say there were only 4 copies of the album and they all belonged to a band member? And weren't all the listening parties hosted BY the band? Who the hell leaked it?

Well obviously at some point a manufacturing plant has to press the CDs and box them up for shipping out to stores. Since the album is now less than two weeks away from being released the manufacturing process is probably going strong.

placidium
04-23-2006, 07:33 AM
maynard is just the singer for Danny's band.

xDxOxNx
04-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Ok, so this is a bullshit post, just like the rest of the theory post I've read....Maynard didn't really leak the album....but are you 100% sure? Appearantly there were only 4 albums in the possession of 4 people, and I know that the music I've heard wasn't recorded on someone's piece of shit phone durning a listening session! This has nothing to do with concert sales, Tool would sell out regaurdless....It's about sticking it to the MAN one last time before they are free agents. Why not have some fun one last time at the expense of the record label.

Some dipshit at a manufacturiing plant probably did leak it, oh well.....my theory is still the best, mwahahaha!!!!

justlikeme
04-23-2006, 07:34 AM
The fact that you said I can flame you, just doesn't make it fun now.
I kid.

um..It's a good theory, but I don't agree with it.
Like all the other people said, it doesn't necessarily mean bad album sales and the band use the album as the promotion for their tour, which they do make money from, so yeah. that.

Light Reflections
04-23-2006, 07:35 AM
IT'S ADAM'S BAND, BITCHES!! RARRRR!!!!!

Malaka
04-23-2006, 07:39 AM
"Well obviously at some point a manufacturing plant has to press the CDs and box them up for shipping out to stores. Since the album is now less than two weeks away from being released the manufacturing process is probably going strong."

Exactly, beat me to it. It can't stay 4 copies forever.

unfnknblvbl
04-23-2006, 07:40 AM

That's very easily explained - eventually, there would have to be more than four copies of the album. There would be millions. It takes a while to press those discs, say two or three weeks?
One of the workers at the pressing plant (probably somebody from a 'release group') noticed that they were pressing the new Tool discs, and promptly nicked one when nobody was looking, managed to get it past the security (if there is any), went home, ripped it, and uploaded it to the top level warez sites, from where it trickled down within a few hours.

Easy.

Sigurd
04-23-2006, 07:41 AM
That's very easily explained - eventually, there would have to be more than four copies of the album. There would be millions. It takes a while to press those discs, say two or three weeks?
One of the workers at the pressing plant (probably somebody from a 'release group') noticed that they were pressing the new Tool discs, and promptly nicked one when nobody was looking, managed to get it past the security (if there is any), went home, ripped it, and uploaded it to the top level warez sites, from where it trickled down within a few hours.

Easy.
But thats no fun...

xDxOxNx
04-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Alright, now we're starting to make sense.....where are all of the "hoaxer's" who think this is some b-side double album dual disc? When all it really is, is some sly underpaid factor worker saying "fuck you".

fearxile
04-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeh, dont they have one more album on their contract...

xDxOxNx
04-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Yeh, dont they have one more album on their contract...

I read another post that this was their last one....I'm probably most assuradly definitely wrong!

I think this theory romanticises the fact that Maynard did something more evil than the one's who stole the album! It's like having your finger over the button, having compete control.....knowing that no one would suspect you. The ultimate crime? I think so.

Nietzsche's Dead
04-23-2006, 08:16 AM
actually - tool is still under contract to produce another album. but nice try ;*)

Goldfoot
04-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Source?

intoaneye
04-23-2006, 08:35 AM
its true about the contract I read it on these posts somewhere. I believe it was from maynards word himself when he was talking about the music industry

Dungflowers
04-23-2006, 08:36 AM
A leak of a good album can actually increase sales.

How do think Radiohead had a number 1 album with Kid A - which had no singles or videos. The only promotion they used was 15 second blips and a 2 week early leak.
Not that the leak was part of the promotion, but it did help get positive word of mouth.

To be honest, the only artists suffering from pirating are the ones who make shitty music. If you download an album and it blows, you obviously don't go out and buy it. On the otherhand you'd be more inclined to buy an album you really like or atleast support the band by seeing them live.

Wow. Imagine that. A world where records actually stand on their own merit and not on a barrage of promotion.

CallofCthulhu
04-23-2006, 08:40 AM

Bands get about a dollar, if that, off an album sale. Considering Tool have so much creative control I'd almost guarentee they get even LESS money as a means to even get the label to give that to them. Oh yea.......Maynard didn't release shit. If anyone from the Tool family is responsible for leaking the album its Blair.

Volrath
04-23-2006, 08:40 AM
It didn't hurt the album sales for lateralus when that leaked five years ago. Why should now be any different?

Satival Tributary
04-23-2006, 08:59 AM
fewer album sales equals less promotion equals less ticket sales.
Even if 10,000 Days doesn't sell one copy, the mini-tour has completely sold out. Every concert must've sold out in under 5 seconds. I don't think Tool has anything to worry about when it comes to ticket sales.

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 09:02 AM
i think that tool is so smart..i think that the album did leak ( if i am wrong ah well the work on the album that i have is stellar) but what they fucking drag us in with is thier massive hard copy production of the albums...in the long run i think that people will go out and buy it still. i know i am and most of the tool fans around me also. and as for the tours, they still sell everywhere out in the blink of an eye. tool will be fine

spiiiral
04-23-2006, 11:27 AM
good though. i agree.