PDA

View Full Version : why do so many people love this song?

zee deveel 17
04-23-2006, 12:03 AM
i really can't understand some people's love for this track. what am i missing? is the point of this song to be incoherently reminiscient of a bad acid trip? was the band's intention to make a terrible song? i don't understand the point of this song; it sounds like all they do is rehash old tracks (third eye, h) and add in a few corey taylor vocals here and there to go along with it.

flakos
04-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Because.. it IS a good song. I don't understand why no one likes it. The music is great, and the whole premise is awesome, tripper is given the key to life by aliens but forgets it while he's high.

StoneyB
04-23-2006, 08:06 AM
It's the same old shit with Tool fans. They constantly quote "Think foryourself. Question authority," but when Tool releases something experimental with an awesome concept behind it, fans whine that the song isn't serious enough or Toolish enough. Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.

mujekun
04-23-2006, 08:16 AM
It is the awesomest song but to me it seems like Maynard deliberately messed it up with some of those vocals. It's because he doesn't care, you see. the vocals should be cleaner as well. Apart from that it is one of their best though.

rottenvicious462
04-23-2006, 08:26 AM
I understand the concept, and I like the whole idea, but I can't sit the whole way through it... I have, but not like I can with all the other tracks on this CD where I actually enjoy it... Don't worry, I don't get it either zee deveel...

PmF
04-23-2006, 08:35 AM
It has some strange feeling but the first part (with maynard talking) is just too long.

vedhead
04-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Listen to the song...stop hearing it.

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 08:50 AM
i think when things get so complicated
and you look for escape and rationalizations
they come in many different ways this song may
be a lot trippish but if you will include the dear lyrics
and see the paranoia of an artist..the absurdity of
todays society and culture. i think it is an attack on how
the artist percieves all this absurdity. it is more real
and raw than most of the work tool has presented. with
a bit of humor and every day life..RS is going down as
an all out battle..i swear it fucking has power

placidium
04-23-2006, 08:54 AM
rosetta stoned is as powerful and difficult as Third Eye imo.

zee deveel 17
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM
i definitely understand the concept, but again, if you want to make a song about a bad acid trip it doesn't mean you should play/sing the song poorly just so it's reminiscient of such an experience. anyone agree?

placidium
04-23-2006, 09:18 AM
the guitar solo is poor, but the rest is very rough sounding, though polished in creation.

kyyuulle
04-23-2006, 09:26 AM
i love this song because it is a direct shot to the under-educated petroleum distribution engineer flower children that have nothing better to do but find enlightenment through getting stoned all the time...

and to think if one were to engage in such extraterrestrial activities, you would at least remember it...but you are too stoned

"fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory?"

KEYGUN
04-23-2006, 09:39 AM
One of the best tracks on this bitch!

smeefsmeef
04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
I love this song because it's about apple juice.

Sephiraith
04-24-2006, 08:53 PM
i really can't understand some people's love for this track. what am i missing? is the point of this song to be incoherently reminiscient of a bad acid trip? was the band's intention to make a terrible song? i don't understand the point of this song; it sounds like all they do is rehash old tracks (third eye, h) and add in a few corey taylor vocals here and there to go along with it.

Yes, it was the band's intention to make a terrible song that a bunch of people like except for you.

In fact, I sent an email to Blair about it and he said that the band made the song specifically to piss off some guy on the internet named zee deveel 17, just for kicks.

True story.

ljasonl
04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
cuz it fuckin rocks, man!

toot-ma-noot
04-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Listen to the song...stop hearing it.

the first time i listened to it i laughed my ass off, and liked it since.

Seethus
04-24-2006, 11:40 PM
the guitar solo is poor, but the rest is very rough sounding, though polished in creation.
Ill be waiting for your superior guitar solo?
Didnt think so. Stop trying to criticise when you arent even in a posititon to.
'i liked it' 'I didnt like it' that is more appropriate.

CaptainMeow
04-24-2006, 11:48 PM
i definitely understand the concept, but again, if you want to make a song about a bad acid trip it doesn't mean you should play/sing the song poorly just so it's reminiscient of such an experience. anyone agree?

Exactly. I mean, I'm sure a few of you have had episodes on drugs that could be described as mildly psychotic, and I have at some point, wandered around muttering to myself disjointedly in the same way, like a crazy person. It's very well done. To me, it doesn't sound like someone trying to sound like a lunatic, it is the sound of a lunatic. Very goddamned chilling.

Nietzsche's Dead
04-24-2006, 11:51 PM
i deeply enjoy the part where the lyrics seem to speed up (even more so) around 52 seconds into it, and it sounds like mjk is speaking in tongues :D

"hubba-duh hubba-duh hubba-duh"

MantisMandibles
04-25-2006, 12:09 AM
I like it because it's sort of like listening to 'Third Eye' for the first few hundred times, again. I distinctly hated it the first couple of times I heard it. It sounded incredibly dissonant and hectic. But it's grown on me, and I no longer think it sounds so atonal. I think it was just the wack-ass vocals during the first couple minutes which threw me off. After that, though, the song gets fucking dope.

I think I just had to get kinda drunk in order to appreciate this album. My first reaction was like, "wtf?" Then I drank a sixer of Blue Moon and became suddenly enlightened as to how boss this effort really is. That appreciation has since stuck and chemical enhancement is no longer needed. Ah, but thank fuck for good beer!

Pro Starcrafter
04-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah Adam meant to do some really fast really crazy guitar solo that would rival melmsteen in technicallity and speed but then he remembered he doesn't do that shit.

Don't think about this song being about an acid trip when you listen to it, just listen to it. Maybe take some acid and listen to it.

ljasonl
04-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Exactly. I mean, I'm sure a few of you have had episodes on drugs that could be described as mildly psychotic, and I have at some point, wandered around muttering to myself disjointedly in the same way, like a crazy person. It's very well done. To me, it doesn't sound like someone trying to sound like a lunatic, it is the sound of a lunatic. Very goddamned chilling.

word

completetool
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM
So many people love this song because so many people have recognized that it is the best song on the album.

Dolophane
04-25-2006, 03:44 PM
LK/RS is currently my favorite part of the album. Rosetta Stoned just started, actually...

drastic
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Don't think about this song being about an acid trip when you listen to it, just listen to it. Maybe take some acid and listen to it.

Haha.. love it.

drone007
04-25-2006, 04:19 PM
i like it because the musicianship is there, maynard's lyrics are a little bit deeper than first assumed, and the melodies are catchy. not every song has to be about something esoteric in order for it to be good. i like it

LeperKhan
04-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I fall into the "decoy leak" camp, and even I'll say that this song is pretty damned entertaining. I love it because:

1) the "chorus" part where Maynard finally sings "Imagine yourself in my position... to be the one." It's stellar, and I'm shocked if someone weaned off of previous Tool albums wouldn't love that part.
2) The chatter at the beginning of the song is genius... listen to the rythm of it... its all nonsense in free verse, but its totally on time with the beat of the song. I was really impressed in this sense.
3) It was made to be "3rd Eye, part 2" yet was not actually named "Third Eye, pt.2" In fact, the song quite literally has one of the exact same riffs from Third Eye on there. This is the "clincher" part of a joke leak, in my opinion.
- Oh yeah the part of the song near the end is "They'll know, oh no, they'll know, oh no"
being a double reference to the hoax and to the "in out in out in out" part of 3rd eye.
4) The lyrics are quite awesome, really. It tells a story about a guy that loses his mind. Awesome.

ljasonl
04-25-2006, 07:49 PM
By the way, everyone, the riff is not the same as the one from Third Eye. It's similar, but it's different

Natalie Portman
04-25-2006, 11:12 PM
This song reminds me of Leaving Las Vegas. I've never done any drugs at all, so I can't really relate to the experiences here (well, vicariously through friends maybe). I've done some crazy shit bc of alcohol, but I have yet to shit the bed. In fact, I think that line ruins the song for me. It just sounds stupid.

Natalie Portman
04-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I fall into the "decoy leak" camp
$20 says you're wrong.

Garguantua
04-26-2006, 05:21 AM

Dunno dude. In simplistic terms (probably the best terms), the song just rocks. For me, anyways. I don't care to analyze my feelings for the song. Perhaps you might stop thinking about all this. If the song bugs you or you don't like it, well, no biggie.
There are Tool songs that do little for me (Ticks and leeches, among others.) I just press skip and move on.

Nothing to be confused or bummed about.

Frenchy
04-26-2006, 05:26 AM
It's the same old shit with Tool fans. They constantly quote "Think foryourself. Question authority," but when Tool releases something experimental with an awesome concept behind it, fans whine that the song isn't serious enough or Toolish enough. Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.

Hells Yeah! A Tool fan that actually thinks for theirself.

Plus, this is a great song! It's definitely the Third Eye of 10,000 Days in terms of creativity.

Frenchy
04-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Dunno dude. In simplistic terms (probably the best terms), the song just rocks. For me, anyways. I don't care to analyze my feelings for the song. Perhaps you might stop thinking about all this. If the song bugs you or you don't like it, well, no biggie.
There are Tool songs that do little for me (Ticks and leeches, among others.) I just press skip and move on.

Nothing to be confused or bummed about.

What about Ticks and Leeches didn't you like? I've forgotten why I didn't like it at first. Now I love it... a bit like Third Eye I must admit (which I love).

Maybe it's 'cause I was 14 when I first started listening to Tool and couldn't make head nor tail of anything overly creative at the time (NIN was just a mess of noise then).

Stev
04-26-2006, 05:38 AM
Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.

I think I love you.

As far as this song goes, it's only growing on me now, much like The Pot. But it's definitely rockin and experimental. For me it's a slow build to the peak starting at 8:35 'Overwhelmed as one would be' - it almost gives me a shiver just thinking about it.

Garguantua
04-26-2006, 05:46 AM
What about Ticks and Leeches didn't you like? I've forgotten why I didn't like it at first. Now I love it... a bit like Third Eye I must admit (which I love).

Nothing that I can articulate very well. The song just seems forced to me. The drumming is absolutely stunning, but the riff and Maynards vocals and lyrics just don't do it for me. I like the song. Just don't get off on it like I do for The Grudge, Schism, Reflection.
Also, there are parts of Lateralus that bug me too. Just small things. There are parts of Lateralus that are pure genius, but it's not genius all the way through. Same with all of Tool's music. Sometimes they hit the nail on the head, well...most times, but occasionally they hit their thumbs. It does not detract from my enjoyment of their music, no one's perfect. Well.. J.S. Bach was perfect, but that's another story.

I imagine that everyone has little things about the band that don't do it for them. I think that's why people are so angsty, here. They have put Tool upon a very high pedestal. Their own fault, if they hate the record.

Raapy
04-26-2006, 06:03 AM
By far the best song on the album for me. The part starting at about 8 minutes in and lasting to about 9 minutes is one of Tool's greatest moments, in my opinion. The only other song on this album that has a almost as nice moment is The Pot, at 3.40-4.25. Simply ingenius. I'm sort of disappointed that there wasn't more of these moments, though; to me, they're what makes Tool so great. Aenima had tons of these, Lateralus had less, and this album has even fewer.

s ti N Kfizt
04-26-2006, 06:12 AM
the guitar solo is poor [..]

why? i think it's quite good.

seneca77
04-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Yes, it was the band's intention to make a terrible song that a bunch of people like except for you.

In fact, I sent an email to Blair about it and he said that the band made the song specifically to piss off some guy on the internet named zee deveel 17, just for kicks.

True story.

i love posts that make me crack up. funny shit man.

beatty
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Corey Heart vocals?

Crimson Petal
04-26-2006, 11:06 AM

how much credit should we give because they do not give a shit about us and make music for themselves?

lucydog
04-26-2006, 11:19 AM
the first time i heard it, it kinda freaked me out. (in a good way) and after that, it just got cooler and cooler. its black humor at its finest.

and for the record: "shit the bed" is a term for when something breaks down, screws up. for instance "my car's transmisson broke. damn car shit the bed." he forgot his pen, and what he was supposed to relay. he "shit the bed". you could also interchange meanings, strapped down and freaked out he crapped himself... but im pretty sure when he says shit the bed he means "fucked up"

Crimson Petal
04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
the first time i heard it, it kinda freaked me out. (in a good way) and after that, it just got cooler and cooler. its black humor at its finest.

and for the record: "shit the bed" is a term for when something breaks down, screws up. for instance "my car's transmisson broke. damn car shit the bed." he forgot his pen, and what he was supposed to relay. he "shit the bed". you could also interchange meanings, strapped down and freaked out he crapped himself... but im pretty sure when he says shit the bed he means "fucked up"

and I thought it was a term for shitting the bed.
are you positive on this one?

lucydog
04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
positive that "shit the bed" is a term for something breaking? Yes.

positive that maynard is using it in that context? No.

I think thats what he means. thats what it means to me. maybe the whole thing was an out of body experience and he did, in fact, poop in his bed.

acsguitar
04-26-2006, 12:08 PM

yea beacuse Adam is known for his Hendrix like solos.

This song will rock live if they can do it. Break out the megaphone

smeefsmeef
04-26-2006, 03:38 PM
TOOL LIVE = MIND-FUCK

randomhero8823
04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
THIS SONG JUST PLAIN ROCKS MY SOCKS!

smeefsmeef
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM
I hope they play this song live...

rocco
04-26-2006, 04:14 PM
I like this song because I actually did graduate from high school. It makes me feel superior to remember that others have not.

Also, the vulgarity.

Nikola Petrovic
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
i love this song, its awesome

Stev
04-26-2006, 07:24 PM
how much credit should we give because they do not give a shit about us and make music for themselves?

I guess that depends on how highly you rate integrity. Me personally, I rate it pretty highly.

I like this song because I actually did graduate from high school. It makes me feel superior to remember that others have not.

Also, the vulgarity.

lol - classic

zee deveel 17
04-26-2006, 10:52 PM

True story.

well, you can know that i am actually SLOWLY starting to appreciate this song. i think most people are right when they have said that you just need to listen to the song and stop analyzing it. in a way, i almost picture myself in the hospital room with the patient and doctor (lost keys) as this song is blasting. i guess it makes for a cooler and more enjoyable experience when you're listening to it that way.

seanb
04-27-2006, 10:30 AM
How can you NOT like this song? This was sealed as one of the best Tool songs ever at the "But I forgot my pen" lyric; everyone who was complaining about the loss of Tool's humor with Lateralus, well it's back and better than ever.

mousersix
04-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.

Stoney wins!

macfreak
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
I am loving this song its hard at first but it has really grown in me. awesome

MMXII
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Becasue it is the most conceptual and artistic song on the album

MMXII
04-27-2006, 05:41 PM
TOOL LIVE = MIND-FUCK
indeed

Jon_Doh!
04-27-2006, 08:36 PM
I was almost positive I'd hate this song after I read the tracklisting for the first time. Now that I've heard it, well, never judge a book by it's cover...
It's like Disgustipated and Third Eye had a baby. I love it.

MantisMandibles
04-28-2006, 12:04 AM
It's like Disgustipated and Third Eye had a baby. I love it.

Indeed. Here's a picture (http://www.latexmaskcentral.com/images/Archives/Kuato_3100thumb.jpg).