PDA

View Full Version : pink floyd

theremin_scape
04-22-2006, 11:41 PM
echoes come to mind for anyone else?

Placid_Storm
04-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I can see that. "Echoes" is one of my favorites. To me, that song is like a journey through some horrid wasteland, and then you see a light at the end of the tunnel (the shimmering guitar riff after all of that creepy sqwauking and screaming). Wings for Marie is also reminiscent of "Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun", in my opinion.

frosty nugs
04-23-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm also hearing shades of Shine on "Shine on benevolent sun" and Wings has a part that resembles Sheep

molehill
04-23-2006, 12:35 AM
I thought of both 'Animals' (especially Dogs during Jambi) and 'The Wall' while listening to 10,000 Days

caliphornia
04-23-2006, 12:58 AM
no particular floyd song came to mind but pink floyd was def the first thing i thought when i heard wings for marie I and II.

Scrunzset
04-23-2006, 01:01 AM
I said it was their Echoes first. =P

Ever since hearing Echoes for the first time, I always thought Tool should cover it.

someguythatwantsin
04-23-2006, 07:11 AM
There is definately some Pink Floyd influence or at least accidental familiarity. I also think the Wings for Marie (Part 1), 10.000 Days (Wings Part 2) is somewhat amusing, because of Pigs on the Wing Part 1 and Part 2. Not to say there is any similiarity as far as actually lyrical context on these songs, just that it's an amusing coincidence. I've always loved Tool because they sounded like a modern day Pink Floyd...obviously much heavier. Both lyricists (Roger Waters, Maynard) have inspired me in a thousand ways and have comforted me many times. Preach on brothers. P.S. If Maynard found God, who are we to wave our FATTY/PETTY/BLOODY haha...fingers. Not that I think he did. I think Maynard has always had a strong spiritual background, but not for hypocrites you find in most modern day religions. I think if you were to sit down and really investigate all religions, you would see that not believing we are all connected by some symbiotic relationship with a higher power, is ridiculous. People that believe in evolution should fish me up some missing link. Besides, compassion, love, and healing all come from the soul...unfortunately most of society has lost theirs. I think Maynard's message is simply that, our world needs to heal, and the only way we can do that is when we all realize there is nothing different about any of us....except, some of us are starving, some of us are persecuted, most of us, have it to fucking easy thanks to the horribly unbalanced country most of you here live in. That's right...America. Anyways. The world is fucked up, but there is a lot of good inherent. His mother was obviously a strong woman, strong in faith, strong in spirit, and strong in her ability to be good to her son. He obviously has been seriously affected by everything he has dealt with involving his mother. If I was in his shoes, I would be quite angry at "God" as well. I would wonder the same things he has wondered. He is human just like the rest of us. Anyways, enough babbling....this was about pink floyd right? Damn I need to post this shit in some other forum where people are being ridiculous and hateful. K, bye.

Untamed
04-23-2006, 08:55 AM

Vocally it is screaming David Gilmour...

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 09:15 AM
the two albums that came to me the most while listen to these two songs were
animals and saucerful of secrets.....on edge i tell you fucking beautiful what they have done

manghu67
04-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Vocally it is screaming David Gilmour...

Compositionally it screams Roger Waters.

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Compositionally it screams Roger Waters.
agreed

Oberon
04-24-2006, 03:02 AM
I hear Les claypool's Shine on you crazy diamond =P

Chris Myth
04-24-2006, 12:22 PM
haven't heard this song yet, still TRYING to wait till may 2 but it gets harder every day... but are you guys saying the song sounds like "echoes", or more like it's as epic and moving as echoes... the floyd comparisons actually have me really excited about this song in particular

Untamed
04-24-2006, 02:45 PM
haven't heard this song yet, still TRYING to wait till may 2 but it gets harder every day... but are you guys saying the song sounds like "echoes", or more like it's as epic and moving as echoes... the floyd comparisons actually have me really excited about this song in particular

Oh it's Floyd in a whole bunch of ways. As stated , RW is heard in it's composition, DG is heard in guitar and vocals. I mean it is all Tool obviously, but it's deep, taps into what Floyd stopped giving us. This could be just a personal opinion but I always considered Tool to be the ones to pick up where Floyd left off.

wags
04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
As a huge Pink Floyd and Tool fan, I have been trying to convince my parents (also big Floyd fans) that Tool is the Floyd of our generation. The sonic experimentation, polyrhythmic song structures and heavy themes tie Tool to a great tradition, I like to think Floyd meets Black Sabbath...

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Definitely agree with most of this, really hadn't thought about it yet. There is DEFINITE Floyd on Jambi too, as I'm sure all of yoiu have noticed. I also hear a little bit of Hendrix on 10000 Days. There was a newsletter where Blair was saying they were trying to get a dead musician's voice to guest, but they ran into legal problems. The only people who I can think of who would be so bitchy as to decline Tool would be Hendrix's management, they have turned him into a circus. At first I thought it was Syd Barret, but then I remembered he is only dead figuratively speaking. =P Could be Jim Morrison too, but I know Justin is such a fan of Jimi (plus that is Adam's favorite guitarist from what I've read), that seems more plausable.

comeon
04-24-2006, 04:54 PM
There is definately some Pink Floyd influence or at least accidental familiarity. I also think the Wings for Marie (Part 1), 10.000 Days (Wings Part 2) is somewhat amusing, because of Pigs on the Wing Part 1 and Part 2. Not to say there is any similiarity as far as actually lyrical context on these songs, just that it's an amusing coincidence. I've always loved Tool because they sounded like a modern day Pink Floyd...obviously much heavier. Both lyricists (Roger Waters, Maynard) have inspired me in a thousand ways and have comforted me many times. Preach on brothers. P.S. If Maynard found God, who are we to wave our FATTY/PETTY/BLOODY haha...fingers. Not that I think he did. I think Maynard has always had a strong spiritual background, but not for hypocrites you find in most modern day religions. I think if you were to sit down and really investigate all religions, you would see that not believing we are all connected by some symbiotic relationship with a higher power, is ridiculous. People that believe in evolution should fish me up some missing link. Besides, compassion, love, and healing all come from the soul...unfortunately most of society has lost theirs. I think Maynard's message is simply that, our world needs to heal, and the only way we can do that is when we all realize there is nothing different about any of us....except, some of us are starving, some of us are persecuted, most of us, have it to fucking easy thanks to the horribly unbalanced country most of you here live in. That's right...America. Anyways. The world is fucked up, but there is a lot of good inherent. His mother was obviously a strong woman, strong in faith, strong in spirit, and strong in her ability to be good to her son. He obviously has been seriously affected by everything he has dealt with involving his mother. If I was in his shoes, I would be quite angry at "God" as well. I would wonder the same things he has wondered. He is human just like the rest of us. Anyways, enough babbling....this was about pink floyd right? Damn I need to post this shit in some other forum where people are being ridiculous and hateful. K, bye.

wow
nice post
i agree

ThreeDeviations
05-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Definitely hear some Floyd.. no doubt.

First thing I said to self when I heard it..

jhnygsh
05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
If Maynard found God, who are we to wave our FATTY/PETTY/BLOODY haha...fingers. Not that I think he did. I think Maynard has always had a strong spiritual background, but not for hypocrites you find in most modern day religions. I think if you were to sit down and really investigate all religions, you would see that not believing we are all connected by some symbiotic relationship with a higher power, is ridiculous. People that believe in evolution should fish me up some missing link.

First you say dont judge maynard for his beliefs, and then you state that one would be ridiculous to not believe taht a higher power has us all connected?? as an atheist, i completely disagree. you can believe what you want, but as an atheist, the burden of proof is on you my friend, not upon me.

edit: oh yah, i hear floyd for sure.

jsn
05-02-2006, 07:41 PM
yep, also in jambi i thought of floyd.

wags
05-03-2006, 07:37 AM
definitely some echoes reminiscence here, especially as it leads into part 2 with the rain and all...

Bakeup
05-05-2006, 07:40 AM
The first thought when I first heard this track was Pink Floyd all the way. The panning guitar line screams Shine On You Grazy Diamond or Saucerful of Secrets. I even feel a sense of Atom Heart Mother in it, I don't know why, I just do. I think that has more to do with structure of the song. Also, the syncopated bass line seems very akin to Roger Waters style of playing, for instance on Money.

ObliviousHypocrite
05-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Yep. I've noticed several Floyd-like "influences" on the album. However, I must say that Tool's expansion of that niche sounds very unique.

polly wants a cracker
05-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm kinda surprised with all these people saying that the new album sounds like Floyd.

Jon08
05-06-2006, 08:39 AM
I thought of both 'Animals' (especially Dogs during Jambi) and 'The Wall' while listening to 10,000 Days

don't you mean pigs (three different ones) in jambi? same guitar effect on the solos.

Matt8
05-06-2006, 09:24 AM
not at all. jambi and the pigs solo both use like talk boxes but thats about it. pink floyd is more than definently a tool influence but i dont really think they make anything that sounds like pink floyd. to me tool and floyd sound nothing alike but they remain my 2 favorite bands because they kind of move you the same way.

rogerdoger
05-06-2006, 09:29 AM
I agree with what a lot of people have said here about Tool being the modern-day Floyd. I've always thought this. I've been listening to Pink Floyd all my life, since my dad is a big fan, and when I was introduced to Tool that was one of the first things I thought of. Now, on that note, I really like this album a lot simply because it really does sound very similar to a lot of what Pink Floyd did, but with a more modern/heavier, twist. Very good.

Matt8
05-06-2006, 09:44 AM
it certainly dosent have the emotional power of dave gilmour's solos. he manages to take your soul out, toss it around the room and then put it back in your body. pink floyd is deeply moving along with tool and ive been a fan of both for a while. pink floyd much longer because since i was like 6 i loved them but tool packs the same kind of emotional punch in maynards melodies and justins bass licks like in AEnema. not to discredit the drums and guitar because both are outstanding and danny is the best drummer to ever grace the earth.

StereoScopicLenses
05-06-2006, 10:29 AM
wings part 1 & 2 reminds me of 'Meddle' But in a GOOD way.

Psilo
05-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Definitely some similarity.. thought that the first time i heard it.

wags
05-08-2006, 09:01 PM
one of these days (opening track of meddle) come to mind?
anyone?
bueller?

Dashel
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Meddle came to mind for me as well but the whole track has a definite Floyd infusion going on in there. Sweet shit.

I've had a long association between the two as well. Now when is TooL going to produce their movie, damnit.

valhalla
05-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Strange, but after I listened to this song (both parts) I immediately thought of "An American Prayer" by The Doors. Not because of a similarity of sound but because Wings sounds like the words (I wouldn't call them lyrics) are more of a poem and the music was written around those words. Just my opinion.

hbynoe
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
one of these days (opening track of meddle) come to mind?
anyone?
bueller?
bueller :) yes....... i am going to cut you into little pieces..what a beauty and yes so reminiscent

drumman
05-11-2006, 02:48 AM
i do agree that this album 10,000 days is much like pink floyd in the way that it sends you on a journey, and where that is is all up to the person. But at that it separates from what we usually understand. They were not kidding when they got into wings part one and two, i have had many psychedelic experiences in my long life, but this one is definately my favorite, they actually cared what they did as a band to create the sound that was needed. Not what we all expected, not a album to just put out and collect the money, something deeper. Oh yes i know some will say other tool albums are just as deep and track for track and and that shit, but as a album this dose stand up to anything i have heard this year as a great album. I will not go track to track on what i like about it, but as a musician of the 4th generation and working mostly with purely all instrumental and no vocal bands i must say this flows. As much as i do love floyd, tool has trump'd what we understand as music, and concept albums. Alas to say put down the joint and have some salvia divinorum 10x or stronger and crank up a good surround sound system and go with it and maybe learn something, music has no boundries, and i have always liked that about tool. At the very least i can say i am not dissapointed, and it made me want to play my drums and guitar with new fevor, and that is better than what i have heard lately in any music release. Ohh yes the new david gilmore is quite good as well, but again not what we expected out of a former pink floyd member--hmm--alas i hear more king crimson influances in this new tool in many ways.

jack_without_sally
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM
yeh i can feel the Pink Floyd vibe here, tis so chilled out and melodic, echoes does definetly come to mind

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 10:20 PM

"Alto" means "Stop" in Spanish. I just wanted to clear that up in case someone was ever driving a car and their passenger yelled out "Watch out! That's an Alto Sign!". That way instead of replying, "What's an Alto sign?" they would immediately stop the car. Maybe lives will be saved. I like to help people....it's my nature.

pickle
05-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Never heard Pink Floyd, What's wrong with me? Love Tool though.

JOK3R
05-12-2006, 01:38 AM
what is wrong with you?

definitely do hear the floyd similarities.

pork chops
05-12-2006, 05:15 AM
this reminds me nothing of echoes.

Koan
05-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Yes, I certainly picked up on the similarities. David Gilmour's singing and guitar playing is mostly in a slow, flow of sound kind of style, not unlike Wings For Mary. Adam's guitar playing is like that too in this song. It really is a sweeping, emotional soundscape. For Tool to reach such a level of finnese is excellent. This band just keeps evolving.

quasiperiodica
05-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Definately based on the very beginning, the super slow rhythm. Of course, Echoes has the echoing of a submarine underwater because that's the atmosphere they're trying to create with Echoes, u can tell also cuz the cover of Meddle looks like you're on the bottom of the ocean.

LegalizeIt
05-24-2006, 07:32 AM
I said it was their Echoes first. =P

Ever since hearing Echoes for the first time, I always thought Tool should cover it.

Seen echoes with 2001: A space oddesey?

swampyfool
05-24-2006, 11:39 AM
One of these days I'm gonna dance with the little piggies . . .

Definite Pink Floyd influences on this album. The bass under the second stanza of "Jambi" is reminiscent of that notorious theme and variation from "The Wall." Any of you (early) Floyd fans into (early) King Crimson? I've often thought that songs like "21st Century Schizoid Man, Pictures of a City . . ., Cirkus and Mars, et al . . . were influencial to Tool's composition and theory. But this album shows that Tool has also been influenced by other Crimson tracks like Epitaph, or In the Court of the Crimson King. And seriously, if you are a fan of Pink Floyd's work (particularly the early and obscure stuff) and you have never heard of King Crimson, then you ought to avail yourself.

06-14-2006, 05:42 AM
"I think if you were to sit down and really investigate all religions, you would see that not believing we are all connected by some symbiotic relationship with a higher power, is ridiculous.".You complete twat. You don't even know what "symbiotic" means.....you eukryote.

06-14-2006, 05:48 AM
ps....I doubt that TOOL would give credance or give an f about anything Pink Floyd had done> Who are Pink Floyd anyway? Sounds like a gay aussie/pommie boy band to me.

swampyfool
06-14-2006, 07:26 AM
ps....I doubt that TOOL would give credance or give an f about anything Pink Floyd had done> Who are Pink Floyd anyway? Sounds like a gay aussie/pommie boy band to me.
Dude, that's rediculous. If you can't see the similar pathways of these two bands then you just might be retarded. I assume that you are applying sarcasm in your implication that you've never heard of Floyd, but seriously dude . . . The delayed bass riff under the second stanza of Jambi is a blatant homage to and variation on the bass riffs from "The Wall." The meandering style and tempo of WFM/10KD are so on par with the more epic works of Pink Floyd. Why do you want to be ignorant?

bellamadia
06-14-2006, 08:20 AM

You make it hard for me not to be a bitch.

davelisowski
06-14-2006, 08:58 AM
One of these days I'm gonna dance with the little piggies . . .

Definite Pink Floyd influences on this album. The bass under the second stanza of "Jambi" is reminiscent of that notorious theme and variation from "The Wall." Any of you (early) Floyd fans into (early) King Crimson? I've often thought that songs like "21st Century Schizoid Man, Pictures of a City . . ., Cirkus and Mars, et al . . . were influencial to Tool's composition and theory. But this album shows that Tool has also been influenced by other Crimson tracks like Epitaph, or In the Court of the Crimson King. And seriously, if you are a fan of Pink Floyd's work (particularly the early and obscure stuff) and you have never heard of King Crimson, then you ought to avail yourself.

There's no doubt in my mind that King Crimson influenced Tool. Pink Floyd did as well. Yes did too. There might be a theme here... I'm thinking "progressive" rock bands.

I'll agree. If you like Floyd, listen to some Crimson. Great stuff.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Im just getting into crimson, Ive got Red and In the court... What album should I get next?

swampyfool
06-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Im just getting into crimson, Ive got Red and In the court... What album should I get next?
As far as early Crimson, try "In the Wake of Poseidon," "Starless and Bible Black," and "Lizard." The best of the more recent stuff (in my opinion) is "THRAK," but you should look into the live stuff. In an (unsuccessful) effort to eliminate bootlegging, the King began releasing soundboard recordings of shows (there's a really good one from Buenos Aires- though I lost it and the name escapes me). Also in the live department, look for the "Epitaph" and "Projeckts" boxed sets- that shit is fucking killer. Happy listening.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 12:20 PM
alright thanks.

Inner_Eulogy
01-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr,
and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner,
and shine!

Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph, and sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser, come on you miner for truth and delusion,
and shine!
Yes, I do belive very similar. I will go read the other parts.

Ya' know, I've heard the song a ton of times and never really stopped to pay attention to all the words and have never read them either. Those are actually some great lyrics.

PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE
02-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Pink Floyd had the exact same mysteria about them. No one knew much about them. They were truly about the music, and not a fucking image.

PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE
02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Alright Dick, maybe you are the one who needs to activate that brain, and realize that tool is the led zeppelin of the generation. A band with a huge cult following, a mysterious guitarist who dipped into black magic, (opposite the norm) long progressive songs, and rare tours in the US. But hey I'm pretty sure you knew that already....right?

PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
where the fuck did zeppelin come from anyway

Yast3r
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Alright Dick, maybe you are the one who needs to activate that brain, and realize that tool is the led zeppelin of the generation. A band with a huge cult following, a mysterious guitarist who dipped into black magic, (opposite the norm) long progressive songs, and rare tours in the US. But hey I'm pretty sure you knew that already....right?

Does anyone know the meaning of cult following anymore?

A mysterious guitarist who dipped into black magic? Really?

Rare tours in the US? They tour for quite a while when they release material.

Yast3r
02-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Saying that Tool has a cult following is like saying that the Holocaust was a "small goof".

Adam Jones isn't mysterious, he's just utterly unremarkable. We don't know much about him because honestly most of us don't care to know. All he does is make special effects, play guitar lines of debatable quality, and stand on stage like an autistic kid all damn night.

He's kind of the retarded guy who follows you around work. You don't hate him, but you don't really give a shit about what he has to say and don't really feel as though he is contributing as much as the rest of the team.

theamazingtool
02-10-2009, 07:01 AM
somebody shit on or around the coats!

theamazingtool
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
adam is jesus.

gonzo
02-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Careful with that coatrack, Eugene.

gonzo
02-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Us vs. Them

gonzo
02-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Yes, you do know them. It's...them. There.

theamazingtool
02-11-2009, 07:14 AM
led zeppelin's about broken hearts and joy.

tool is about anal fisting, rape, anger and death.

theamazingtool
02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
And I successfully changed the topic from Pink Floyd to Led Zep.

Go me.

its not a hard task around here to change the topic. ADD. including myself.

i think the harder task would be to sucessfully keep on topic.

Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Are you kidding me? Robert Plant was the archetype for the "sexy rock singer". And the Song Remains the Same is all about how individual they could be in their segments of the film. Jimmy Page couldn't have been more of a whore for the public eye if he wore a red dress and spiked pumps. I mean Jesus... maybe use that third brain cell while trying to figure out what to post.

Perhaps, but ya' can't take anything away from the music. Pink Floyd was definitely a great band, regardless of them being attention whores or not.

Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
lol

Danny Carey is the occult drummer who created the rest of the band.

Spot on

Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM

lol, totally

Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Dude... seriously.

lol, what? You don't like Pink Floyd?

gonzo
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
And so the song remains the same...

Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I suppose so.....

theamazingtool
02-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I was describing Led Zeppelin in that post.

To fuck with people.

i think i already gave a good enough description of zeppelin. refer to post #77.

RiseToYourHalo
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I make things fun!

QFT.

(sometimes it’s the same kind of fun my cat has when she’s tossing around a mouse on the tips of her claws.)

WB.

RiseToYourHalo
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Who is them?

It’s obvious that the ‘them’ Waters is referring to are the several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict. You can’t trust them cute little fuckers. Just as they hook you with the groove of their unknown song, BAM! they turn around and yell “Hey you!” then bite you in the flesh. You definitely don’t want to wish you were there, but if one of these days you find yourself marooned in that cave due to one slip of young lust or brain damage, you better waste no time on the turning away and run like hell crying for your Mother.

Otherwise, you’ll scream thy last scream, say goodbye cruel world and learn to fly in interstellar overdrive to the Great Gig in the Sky. Where, depending on your possible pasts and the final cut of the trial, you’ll come back to life as an embryo, breathe, give birth to a smile and be welcomed to the machine again because the show must go on in the love scene of the Grand Vizier’s Garden Party.

(that’s 31... but I know you’re not counting)

RiseToYourHalo
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Oh hell, we were having a big deep conversation in that other thread and I didn't remember it until now

I'll post in it soon

I think that Jambi thread came full circle. It began in honor of my son and ended with your tribute to your father.

RiseToYourHalo
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Careful With That Axe, Eugene.

theamazingtool
02-12-2009, 07:29 AM
nobody cares

speak for yourself, smokey.

Inner_Eulogy
02-12-2009, 10:34 AM
It’s obvious that the ‘them’ Waters is referring to are the several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict. You can’t trust them cute little fuckers. Just as they hook you with the groove of their unknown song, BAM! they turn around and yell “Hey you!” then bite you in the flesh. You definitely don’t want to wish you were there, but if one of these days you find yourself marooned in that cave due to one slip of young lust or brain damage, you better waste no time on the turning away and run like hell crying for your Mother.

Otherwise, you’ll scream thy last scream, say goodbye cruel world and learn to fly in interstellar overdrive to the Great Gig in the Sky. Where, depending on your possible pasts and the final cut of the trial, you’ll come back to life as an embryo, breathe, give birth to a smile and be welcomed to the machine again because the show must go on in the love scene of the Grand Vizier’s Garden Party.

(that’s 31... but I know you’re not counting)

That could be fun

Inner_Eulogy
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I disagree. Clearly the "them" are the flying monkeys in the well-known and completely not-a-sharpshooter-fallacy phenomenon of DSOTM syncing with the Wizard of Oz. I declare your statements bunk and also assert that you may in fact be a "Big, Stupid Doo-Doo Head™".

Although, I do have to say the flying Wizard of Oz monkeys do seem to fit better.

theamazingtool
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Although, I do have to say the flying Wizard of Oz monkeys do seem to fit better.

those used to scare the shit out of me when i was little.

gonzo
02-12-2009, 03:10 PM
I rooted for the monkeys. And the poppy field. And the witch.

theamazingtool
02-13-2009, 11:28 AM
speak for yourself, nonsmokey.

i am surely not alone on this one.

LexintheLou
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Just a rhetorical question but if Tool and Led Zepplin are so different why did they choose, as one of the few songs they have ever covered by another band, to cover a Led Zepplin song? Maybe they have a respect for LZ that you don't, huh.

Kody27
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM

epic fail on your part if you call yourself a zeppelin fan.
jimmy page fucking owns boleskine house, or used to anyway i'm not up to date on the status of ownership. its not all about heartbreaks man.

Kody27
03-13-2009, 12:15 PM
how much longer will there be ruckus over adam jone's creativity?

Yes, every Tool song is the same 5 to 8 notes in a slightly different pattern.
No, Adam is not entertaining in the least unless in his comfort zone.
But the fact is Adam has become more successful with his band in which he plays lead guitar in, just by using the "less is more" method. If you're only going to be good at one thing in your life, then be as best as you can fucking be at that one thing. That's what impresses me about him, it's amazing that he's considered one of the best metal guitarist today and he never shreds a lick. I respect that more than just playing alot of notes, I don't read a book because it has more pages. It's the quality of adams playing not the quantity. But that's just my opinion of him, I know there are those of you who oppose this completely, but that just means you're fucktarded hahaahaaaaaa

Kody27
03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Nobody outside of Tool fanboys think this, btw.

Why would I expect a non tool fan to be a fan of adam jones? Think before you type son!

Kody27
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't particularly like Audioslave but I dig Morello. I don't particularly like Opeth but I think Akerfeldt's pretty dope. I don't particularly like jazz fusion but Al di Meola is someone I like.

If a guitarist's fanbase is the only group that is hailing him as the best guitarist of all time, then they are not the best guitarist of all time by a long shot. Truly good musicians are respected for their talent regardless of whether their music particularly appeals to those respecting.

Think before you type, bitch.

You're just beating around the bush with distracting hypothetical situations in which Adam Jones fits nowhere. Adam's fanbase didn't make him number 20something in the top 100 metal guitarist of all time, Guitar World did. Yeah I know it's just a stupid magazine, but I doubt everyone who judged Adam for the list was a Tool fanboy you creamy cunt flake. You just hold no argument anymore, next subject please, this has been going on for years.

Kody27
03-13-2009, 04:32 PM
You're right, no one outside of the Tool fan base should be expected to like adams guitar playing because that's just how Tool is.Their fans are super fans, and the non fans are super non fans., but somehow, miraculously, he managed to make it at 29 out of the top 100 metal guitarists that I know every judge couldn't of been a tool fanboy. I could be wrong, but all I'm saying is that his "lot that's just enough in life" is a lot bigger and more of an influence on rock than you, me, and most musicians alive today.
Why you downplay him all the time, I really don't know Rivek.

Kody27
03-14-2009, 02:10 PM
protip, dumbass: top 10/20/50/100 lists in specialty magazines are not determined by judges. They're determined by who pays off the editors the best.

Soooo let ME get this straight, you're saying someone payed off Guitar World, ahem, to get Adam Jones in the 29th , I repeat the 29th, spot on a top 100 list? And what, good sir, benefits do you think Adam would receive by paying someone to be 29th in something? Obviously no one has ever heard of Adam Jones that's why he needs to pay guitar magazines to get noticed.
Get a fucking clue man, what delusional fucked up world do you live in under that red headed nest you call hair? Hahahahaha

Kody27
03-15-2009, 08:33 AM
The one in which my cousin works for Guitar World and I get free issues.

Let's review:

Your cousin works for Guitar World. He's probably the janitor but let's be hypothetical and say he/she is an editor.

You're telling me that your cousin told you that Tool, or someone that works for Tool, or the other way around, payed him or some other editors off to put Adam Jones in the 29'th spot?

Is this what you're telling me? Because you haven't just came out and said it, all you've done is make some vague reference to your cousin working there and that logic somehow leads to Adam cheating...I thought you had amazing wit and intelligence for awhile but this just blows me away.

Let me break it down for you and anyone else who jumped in late here, no one payed Guitar World off to put Adam Jones on the fucking 29th spot. And if they did, so what? He's still one of the most influential metal guitarists out today whether Guitar world thinks so or not. What do you have to argue against that? C'mon spew some more bullshit about how your cousin went on a date with Adam's neighbors sister's friend and they talked for hours about all of Tools secrets. Put the shovel down man, seriously

Kody27
03-15-2009, 09:20 PM
If Tool needed to be advertised, which they don't, they would probably put their money towards more efficient vehicles for advertising, such as TV commercials, radio commercials, magazine ads, billboards - of which you see or hear of NONE. So why would Tool pay Guitar World to advertise their guitarist in a top one hundred genre list? Like Adam wouldn't be included in the list anyway just because he's that influential for his genre.
I know bands pay magazines for advertising ass, I just don't see the logic in this particular situation with this particular band.

gonzo
03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
All this non-Pink Floyd rambling got me thinking I should upload some Jimi Hendrix onto my IPOD>? So I did. Even Loose Ends.

Kody27
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Buying into a magazine covertly doesn't break their "we don't whore ourselves" status.

Which is bullshit, because between Puscifer and wine, maynard is a complete fucking whore.

So now if you make wine, you're a whore. And I'm sure you've never wanted to achieve anything yourself, what with your so called comedy sketches and scripts and what not, what makes you any less of a whore? You're just ridiculous now, Puscifer isn't an advertising scheme, it's Maynards solo project, everyone has them eventually. Granted he is selling cheap shit at a ridiculous price, but hey, the guys gotta keep makin a living and just because you have a platinum record or 5 doesn't necessarily mean you're anything close to rich. Trust me, I studied the recording industry for 2 years at MTSU one of the nations top recording schools and I know that making gold records just breaks you even at what you paid to make the record in the first place.

Kody27
03-16-2009, 10:42 PM
They definitely make the most doing live shows, everyone knows that, I just think you like to undermine Tool and anything else people associate with awesomeness, to make yourself seem ahead of the game somehow, or more mature/cooler than everyone else because you see how people react to it. Gifted, I must say, maybe that ability does make you cooler than everyone else, congratulations you've won free brain surgery!

Kody27
03-17-2009, 08:52 PM
If "everyone knows that" then why did you try to point out the equally obvious fact that record sales =/= money so that you could chalk up Maynard's product-whoring to "needing to make money because he's not rich"?

You were wrong, as you have been many times, and once again you backpedal and reverse yourself slightly.

That is an interesting theory. Now let me tell you how it works in reality.

I am a Tool fan, obviously, or I wouldn't be here. However, I don't believe they or any other band warrant the kind of worship that some people give everything they touch, and I don't believe that they are any more influential or "ahead of the curve" than any other prog metal band (porcupine tree, dream theater, etc) and thus do not warrant special merit either.

In addition I feel that Adam Jones, while perfect in the context of Tool's music, is no great shakes outside of it, and the majority that I have spoken with harbor similar feelings on the subject. Also, having met MJK after a Tool show and after an APC show, and having spoken with many others who have been lucky enough to as well, and comparing notes, I can conclude that Maynard really doesn't like his fans, given his derision towards even the ones that say nothing but "hey man, great show, love your music", to say nothing of those that go on long ramblings about what occult things they're into, or what the gong Danny has means, or Blair's latest news post (true story).

I do like their music and it has enriched my life in the same manner that other music that I like enough to dissect has enriched my life. Ask yourself, would I be pointing out the fact that Adam sticks to bar chords, pick scrapes, and odd feedback if I hadn't taken a look and analyzed his bag of tricks? Would I be giving Justin props for being one of the best bassists alive, in my opinion, if I hadn't taken a close enough look to realize that most of the cool shit being heard on the albums he's taken part in are bass tracks rather than guitar? The answer is quite simple.

I can not be blamed if the context of my being here, on a Tool forum, evaporates in your mind, Kody, when I discuss my issues with the band. That is on you. That is your own fault for forgetting just which part of the internet this is, forgetting why someone would be here in the first place, and making faulty assumptions based on these conditions.

K.