PDA

View Full Version : how would they feel??

DRoehl
04-22-2006, 09:50 PM
lets say for argument sake that this is in fact the final completed album no strings attached...throw away ALL conspiracy theories....

how would the members of Tool feel RIGHT now at this very moment?? they worked on an album for over a year and a half... they finish it completely. and then two weeks before the release... EVERYONE has it on the net...

and to make matters worse.. everyone who has the illegal copy, thinks it must be some kind of FAKE album, or b-side compilation, or just one disc of 2

I imagine that would be pretty discouraging if I was in their shoes. danny has been quoted as saying this is there best stuff.. yet its leaked and everybody thinks its a huge joke.

I am not quite sure what I believe right now.. I want to believe that there is more to it. it does sound like a compilation of left over songs from other albums but the evidence seems to point to the album is what everyone has end of story. only time will tell.

but imagine them reading the boards and saying "man we busted are asses to make this album and everybody thinks its a joke... and even worse, its leaked on the internet so we will lose money in sales and even worse, everyone is talking about how bad it is so now the people who were going to buy the album who didn't have the leak won't buy it because everyone with the leak says it sucks"

catch my drift??

fault
04-22-2006, 10:06 PM
I agree with your sentiment, but speaking for myself - the hoax idea exists because some of us are truely disappointed by the album. I respect and appreciate the band for being true to their art, but I'm honest when I say i'm confused and genuinly envious of those that love the album. It has moments of beauty, but to me its an incoherant mess of ideas, and lacks almost everything I love about Tools songwriting.

I'm sure as artists they have thick enough skin to brush off such comments and theories.

DRoehl
04-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Thats the thing... its been posted several times around here but there are some great things about this "album" however it isn't what we have all come to expect. I understand that as artist you will be in a different place therfore your art will evolve as you evolve. thats a given... but that shouldn't EVER mean that the Quality of the art you produce suffers as a result of it. for me my disappointment in the album that I have heard doesn't reflect a disapproval of the driection of the art but more sense that this work of art is lacking in quality in comparison to their previous projects.

Maybe we expect too much?? or maybe they set the bar too high for themselves?

the transition doesn't make sense Aenima---Lateralus--- 10000 days??? seems as if its 3 steps back
however the title track is one of the best songs tool have done in my opinion

NetEther
04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm holding off until May 2nd. I'll be either elated or disappointed then. Right now, I'm having one helluva time trying to figure out WTF is going on. What a blast! =]

fault
04-22-2006, 10:38 PM
for me my disappointment in the album that I have heard doesn't reflect a disapproval of the driection of the art but more sense that this work of art is lacking in quality in comparison to their previous projects.

Maybe we expect too much?? or maybe they set the bar too high for themselves?

the transition doesn't make sense Aenima---Lateralus--- 10000 days??? seems as if its 3 steps back

I think we may expect too much; the bar was set extremely high by lateralus, and the 3 steps back comment is exactly my feeling also.

Honestly without trolling or whinging, I cannot foresee myself listening to this album in full again. A track here and there, but thats it. I'm mystified by this and quite disappointed. I'll still buy it and see the live show however..

Khaotic
04-22-2006, 10:43 PM
I agree completely. Ill listen to individual songs, but not the album as a whole. I usually like listening to albums straight through, but this doesn't do it for me. At least this album is better than most of everything on the radio.

Khaotic
04-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I think they wouldn't feel too bad. There are still plenty of people who love the cd, and judging by the 'A Show Of Support' thread, the album sales aren't going to be lacking. Plus, Im sure they will have fun playing live. Even people who hate this cd will most likely still see them live for their older stuff.

DRoehl
04-22-2006, 10:54 PM
after listening to it in its entiretity several times over and over again in the past couple of days. I can say that the album definitely does not flow at all with the exception of wings 1 and 2 of course. every tool album has had a very nice flow to it almost to the point of it being a "concept" album most of the segues promote the flow of the album but with this album its seems as if there isn't segues where there should be and there are segues where there shouldn't be. the flow from 10000 days to the pot is absurd. if this is the final version of the album... I will probably be there last album... goddammit that was SO fucking difficult for me to say!!

DRoehl
04-22-2006, 10:57 PM
At least this album is better than most of everything on the radio.

I swear a recording of maynard taking a shit while eating an aborted fetus would be better than the shit that is played on the radio. I don't know where you live but here in atlanta. they play the same 4 songs OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. radio fucking sucks

perhan
04-23-2006, 06:30 AM
its all pretty simple really. watching from my point of view, i admit i expected something extremely good. i admit one little part of me still belives this is a joke. but some signs point out that this is the real shit. if it is, tool are going down. i am a musician, i work at the record company, i've been listening to tool for over 12 years now. my fave band of all time. and the feeling is here. this is just so avarage, something tool hasn't done , ever before. this record would come out ok if it was released after undertow. but when you heard albums like aenima and lateralus, and then they deliver this?? bad, bad shit.
i still think they will have a great opening week of sales, cause people will buy it blindly. i will buy it, even if i dont like it. many other fans will too. but overall, when the hype and all comes down, when they do first round of touring and the record get old...all will become clear.
aenima still sells today, it sometimes comes back into top 200, man, after 10 fuckin years!! a fuckin classic.
tool will have good sales and good first few tours behind this, cause people want them.
but next time ( if there will be next time ) they are about to release a record, there wont be as many people waiting in line like there are today.

i remember once sayin to my friend in 2003 that i wish tool break up. where can they go after lateralus?? what is next?? is there any room for progression after aenima and lateralus??

looks like there was no room. i sooo hoped Tool will be the only band ever without a weak point in their career.
shit.

Vaginal Replicator
04-23-2006, 06:39 AM
^ That's unrealistic. Every band will have a weak point in their career, that's just how it works.

fault
04-23-2006, 06:46 AM
^ That's unrealistic. Every band will have a weak point in their career, that's just how it works.

I agree, but in my imaginative perfect world, I always pictured Tool walking away from the business before creating a turd.

*shrug*

dancingflame
04-23-2006, 07:39 AM
the people who don`t like the album maybe like aspects of tool the band themselves got rid of...they`re an experimental band...and they prbably don`t care if some 16 year old marilyn manson-fan who knows them only through the last apc-release doesn`t like them...
you have to be patient and listen very carefully to notice how this piece of music unfolds...
and for those having the leaks and not going to buy the album `cause they don`t like it: its simply not made for you...thats sad for you but you have to chose another band that is able to fit your expectations...and if 10,000 days can`t then probably nothing around these times will able to do that...

Juanjay
04-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I just want to say I think what I've heard is great. It might actually be my second favorite album by them. Nothing will take the place of AEnima which is pretty much my all time favorite ever.

I can't wait for the album so I can pop the disc into my studio system and lay down in the back and just soak it all in.

ecliptic
04-23-2006, 10:28 AM
I just want to say I think what I've heard is great. It might actually be my second favorite album by them.

I agree 100%. In my opinion this album is second only to Aenima... an album which no band, even the artists who created it, may ever top.

What were you all expecting, Aenima II? Lateralus Revisted? I personally wouldn't want to hear the same themes and soundscapes repeated album after album after album. If I want to hear Aenima I listen to Aenima. If I want to hear Lateralus I listen to Lateralus (which honestly I don't often do... I've always felt this was their weakest work.)

What was left for these guys to do after 15 years of exorcising emotional demons, exploring psychological depths, and contemplating spirituality? Perhaps... lightening up a bit and having some fun?

The songs people bash repeatedly on these boards as not being "Tool Enough" are some of my favorites. Rosetta Stoned is hilarious... and what the fuck's wrong with hilarious? The Pot is a great evolutionary step for them while still maintaining themes from their older work (Hooker...? Ticks...?).

This band has always been about "breaking through" and "pushing further". They (rather, Maynard, who's lyrics set the themes) weren't trying to wallow in pain and anguish. They were trying to overcome it.

Perhaps now they have. Good for them.

This album is amazing. Sure, it's not what you were expecting. It's defintely not what I was expecting. Just listen to it a few times and do what the band has always promoted... have an open mind.

And if you still hate it... go listen to one of the myriad bands who are still trying to sound like tool circa 1996.

Locarius
04-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Tool continually fucks with their fans. Eventually they will get this kind of response.

sejeffsghost
04-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I honestly believe they should feel awful, for releasing this tripe. Honestly, the more theories the better.