PDA

View Full Version : I've cracked it

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere - there is alot of new content to go through on here, plus my internet has been acting horrible for the passed two days. I suspect someone had to have had this perspective on it by now, though.

It's about insanity/mental illness/dementia/schizophrenia/catatonia (possibly drug induced) - Something the likes of the Syd Barrett story. Of course the prelude being Lost Keys, and going into Rosetta Stoned, "what's happened, tell me everything?"...

Then it comes in with a bunch of almost noncoherent rambling, schizophrenic like. Very random disorganized thoughts. References to hallucinations that "seem so real"; if you've ever seen "A Beautiful Mind", you can see where I'm going with this. Also delusions of grandeur "they chose me, and I didn't even graduate from fuckin highschool". And eventually it builds up to complete loss of mind: the strapped down, eyes red "shitting my bed" part. Of course the Rosetta Stone was objectively just a primmer(sp?) to help under something else - I think he's using it in that context. It makes such perfect sense... once again it's inside the music too - the music is schizophrenic as well, or at least metaphorically so.

I love it - great topic to go with the rest of the album. Fits so well. Man the album is so fantastic... I am blown away all over again. Anyway though - I'd be willing to bet my interpretation is dead on (not to stand on a soapbox or anything), but it's good. Have at it.

edit: and I believe the title, is just a relativization regarding how complicated a human perspective can become. Or that the person in topic has become "stoned" out of his mind by whatever reason, and is relating to everything through some other perspective that is not understandable by anyone else. And the mystery behind why and/or how this happens to people. Something like that - I could go on and over analyze this for a long time. But I'm sure alot of you can add to it, or put it better than I can.

optimistic-pessimist
04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
To me, factually, it reads like:

A guy went out to Area 51, took some mind-altering chemicals, saw a UFO and was abducted. The alien talked to him and told him that he's the chosen one to deliver a warning message to humanity of how we will come to an end, but also to provide a way to avoid that ending (the message of hope.) However, because the guy is a fuckup (shit the bed AGAIN) he forgot his pen, or forgot to write it down altogether, so humanity's only hope is lost. He then returns home and, because he's so terrified of what has happened, he goes to a hospital for help. The doctor offers some comforting words, so he opens up and tells the story of his abduction, which promptly lands him in a mental institution, strapped to a bed.

TJP
04-22-2006, 12:35 PM
i think youre spot on there

HolyReality
04-22-2006, 12:37 PM

A guy went out to Area 51, took some mind-altering chemicals, saw a UFO and was abducted. The alien talked to him and told him that he's the chosen one to deliver a warning message to humanity of how we will come to an end, but also to provide a way to avoid that ending (the message of hope.) However, because the guy is a fuckup (shit the bed AGAIN) he forgot his pen, or forgot to write it down altogether, so humanity's only hope is lost. He then returns home and, because he's so terrified of what has happened, he goes to a hospital for help. The doctor offers some comforting words, so he opens up and tells the story of his abduction, which promptly lands him in a mental institution, strapped to a bed.
yeah, that's basically how I understood it.

stardown
04-22-2006, 12:50 PM

That is a very, very impressive interpretation. I like. I like.

optimistic-pessimist
04-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Oh and it seems to be a fairly elaborate, well thought out, well written and well performed JOKE song... but with a HUGE underlying tone of doom and sadness.

Tertius Oculum
04-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Why does he have to take drugs? He could have just been like that because IT ACTUALLY HAPPEND to him. Not because he was on LSD or some shit.

optimistic-pessimist
04-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Why does he have to take drugs? He could have just been like that because IT ACTUALLY HAPPEND to him. Not because he was on LSD or some shit.

I believe there are some subtle hints at drug use. For example "Deadhead chemistry" and the reference to orange slices, which I'm told supposedly help you come down from a high... or maybe it's enhance a high? I dunno... Anyway, I kinda assumed he took some shrooms. Maybe when we get the rest of the lyrics at the beginning figured out, we'll know for sure.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Ah thanks guys for the deeper perspective. I really hadn't listened to this song that much because I wasn't too happy with it at first impressions, but as usual it has grown on me dramatically, and is now one of my favorites... I cannot believe this album. It is THAT good. Anyway, I appreciate the insight. And so good to see likeminded people enjoying this so much... just don't forget to BUY IT!!! hehe...

optimistic-pessimist
04-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Ah thanks guys for the deeper perspective. I really hadn't listened to this song that much because I wasn't too happy with it at first impressions, but as usual it has grown on me dramatically, and is now one of my favorites... I cannot believe this album. It is THAT good. Anyway, I appreciate the insight. And so good to see likeminded people enjoying this so much... just don't forget to BUY IT!!! hehe...

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy it. Hell I just preordered mine at a Wherehouse Music store here in town for $5. $5.00 !! TOOL's artwork and packaging always makes it a worthwhile buy anyway.

But anyway, I couldn't go to Coachella NOT having heard the new stuff first. I HAD to download it. You understand... ;)

lucydog
04-22-2006, 01:08 PM
yeah, i think something happened that was real, but he was too high on his "need to know potion" to remeber what they said.

true story: the first time my and my friend ate shrooms, we figured out the meaning of life, and were sure of it. before the trip ended, we forgot it.

docder
04-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, from what I remember...orange(citric acid) enhances the ride...

voleurz
04-22-2006, 01:28 PM
most likely because the track has "stoned" in it.

optimistic-pessimist
04-22-2006, 01:47 PM
most likely because the track has "stoned" in it.

Yeah that would be the obvious one...

bogsnarth
04-22-2006, 03:20 PM
the reason i think it's an acid trip is because of the preceeding track, "lost keys (blame hofmann)".. as pointed out elsewhere, albert hofmann is the man who first synthesized lsd..

also anybody who's had enough experience with acid can relate to the feeling of having some amazing revelation and then not being able to remember it.. i've even known people who tried to write down what they thought and when they read it sober it's either totally illegible scribbling or incoherent rambles (like those in the beginning of the track)..

Alex in Chains
04-22-2006, 03:31 PM

It may have actually happened to him, but come on -- he's wearing Birkenstocks. What more do you want, a doctor's note that says "This man is on drugs"?

KFJ
04-22-2006, 05:57 PM

That's exactly how I saw it.

Ertai
04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
also anybody who's had enough experience with acid can relate to the feeling of having some amazing revelation and then not being able to remember it.. i've even known people who tried to write down what they thought and when they read it sober it's either totally illegible scribbling or incoherent rambles (like those in the beginning of the track)..

quoted for the truth...

burning bridges
04-22-2006, 06:26 PM

That is correct although I don't think researchers or trippers know why yet.

Nietzsche's Dead
04-22-2006, 06:33 PM
NO WAY. NO FRIGGIN WAY.

no, but really - its not that complicated. "It's about insanity/mental illness/dementia/schizophrenia/catatonia (possibly drug induced)" - indeed, it is. How long did it take you to come to this conclusion?

lol.

I just think its funny how everyone keeps coming out and saying "Oh, I finally got it! This song has to be about..". Well, yeah, no shit. The whole ablum's pretty blatant. It doesnt take much thinking to get this one ;) . I just think its funny how everyone feels so mighty once they 'get' a song from XMdays (by putting 2+2 together..). I think it's quite more "accessible" than previous works. Idk. Perhaps its for the better.

Shaz
04-22-2006, 06:50 PM
NO WAY. NO FRIGGIN WAY.

no, but really - its not that complicated. "It's about insanity/mental illness/dementia/schizophrenia/catatonia (possibly drug induced)" - indeed, it is. How long did it take you to come to this conclusion?

lol.

I just think its funny how everyone keeps coming out and saying "Oh, I finally got it! This song has to be about..". Well, yeah, no shit. The whole ablum's pretty blatant. It doesnt take much thinking to get this one ;) . I just think its funny how everyone feels so mighty once they 'get' a song from XMdays (by putting 2+2 together..). I think it's quite more "accessible" than previous works. Idk. Perhaps its for the better.

listen to third eye... then listen to LK and RS... now tell me that isnt a great lil story told by tool music.

i hear third eye as good trip by lsd... RS is a bad one... and the LK is when the dude is found after tripping real bad and the doctor doesnt know whats wrong with him. listen to the music... and lyrics... all linked... and (blame hoffman) ... hoffman is the guy who accidently made LSD...

my 2 crappy cents..

peace

burning bridges
04-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't see how Third Eye has to deal with a trip.

Shaz
04-22-2006, 07:05 PM

always the way i took it. glad u see it another way otherwise it wouldnt be tool music heh. using chemicals to get to a certain level of enlightenment then figuring out a way to get there without it... but apparently the guy in LK and RS just over did it a little.

just me

peace

adda da suh
04-22-2006, 07:06 PM
I think if Tool started the show with Lost Keys when it is real dark, it would be incredible. You can hear that one or two notes by Adam while the doctor/nurse talk, and you cant see anyone or anything on stage, and then the infamous Tool feedback that joins Lost Keys - Rosetta Stoned kicks in and then you see the shadow of Maynard come on stage, while hearing that little outlaw sounding guitar intro of R.S by Adam, and then hearing Maynard say "Alrighty then, picture this if you will"(crowd roars) and then BAM!!!! right into the show.

I believe it would make me shit my seat.

Placid_Storm
04-22-2006, 08:23 PM

I've been told that drinking orange juice or taking Vitamin C supplements enhances acid trips. I don't think it's the citric acid, I think its vitamin C.

Placid_Storm
04-22-2006, 08:31 PM
"2am", "sky splitting open(?)", "never expected to see a place like this", "diamonds", "birkenstocks", "X-Files", "Like an apparition, he had me cryin' out 'Fuck me! It's gotta be....Dead-head chemistry.... (inaudible) Believe what you see (?)"... "Omniferous"

RepelHistory
04-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Perhaps this song can be seen as a sequal to Faaip De Oiad. A man trying to give a dire warning that he heard at Area 51, but nobody will believe him.

bogsnarth
04-22-2006, 08:35 PM
when i was a big tripper, i and my fellow acidheads always assumed it was because tripping sapped a lot out of you.. so if you loaded up on vitamin C (and it was the vitamin C, not citric acid per se, that was sought after) you wouldn't feel so dragged out by the end of the trip.. i heard a lot of people say that it actually intensified the trip, but i'm skeptical.. i think it's more like, being on acid makes you acutely aware of what's going on with your body and when you feel the effect of taking lots of vitamin C (not usually very noticable thanks to our reliance on stimulants like nicotine and caffeine to make it through the day) it just feels amazing..

just a theory, of course

04-22-2006, 08:39 PM

Fuck, I just realized how much this song and Faaip de Oiad have in common.

praefector
04-22-2006, 08:42 PM
this is all my conjecture:

it's an acid flashback that tells a story.

the inserted, slightly different, portions from prior songs make it feel even more like a flashback. the rambling, the odd subject matter, and clear drug references ("the bottom got on top of me" = losing your head, orange slices = enhance/subdue high, sinkist and sudafed = trip hangover cure) all contribute to this theory.

the story -- it's basically about a dropout hippie who presumably entered some kind of trance state which we are led to believe was caused by some kind of psychadelic (lipan conjuring is a clue here...peyote?) and ended up being abducted by aliens and explained the key to humanity's downfall. but like a dumb hippie forgot his pen and, figureatively speaking, shit the bed.

he freaks out so bad mid flashback and can't remember what the aliens told him. he goes insane and is strapped to a bed in a psych-ward...where he quite literally, shits his bed.

Placid_Storm
04-22-2006, 08:58 PM
if he says "but i forgot my pen", you would have to assume that he was expecting to experience something like this in the first place, wouldn't you?

abrack29
04-22-2006, 09:19 PM
No, cause then he would have... you know... brought his pen.

ktrip
04-22-2006, 10:15 PM
the first time i heard this song, the only lyrics i really heard clearly, the only particularly "maynard" style singing, "overwhelmed as one would be when placed in my position, such a heavy burden now to be the one. born to bare and read you all the details of our ending, to write it down for all the world to see. but i forgot my pen. shit, my bad again, typical" i kinda got the feeling it was a fuckyou to toolfans... the ones that say shit like "maynard is the voice inside my head", i thought that one stanza especially in its context [i.e. clearly understandable and oldschool toolin] was practically maynard sayin "im not god, im just a dude who happens to be in a kicknuts band, leave me alone and go do your own thing"

i dunno, im too tired to eloquate my point properly.... blame hofmann

troublefunk
04-22-2006, 10:23 PM

i agree that the's one level of it... not that he necessarily did those exact things, but its a reference to UFOs and tripping out and mental illness, each of which tool have used several times. For example songs like h, undertow, lateralus, and third eye all reference drugs, but in each case its applicable to so much more.

In this song, the speaker is at the most extreme level of isolation, paranoia, and self doubt possible- doubting reality and fearing madness. He's also frustrated that he's unable to communicate his reality to others... it seems so important and meaningful, yet when it comes time to put it into words, he shits the bed every time. By using extremes, its a kind of "catharsis" of these feelings, which in varying doses, are pretty universal.

Maynard is great at doing that, like all the great writers. No one else's lyrics are like that. I have a BA in English, so I've read all the "greats," and this dude is right up with the best

deadtime
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
There are some good interpretations here tbh. I would like to point out a few things though: Firstly, I don't think Vitamin C either enhances or subdues a trip, but the citric acid in some fruit juices can help boost a mushroom trip, according to my sources. (Read the shroomery.org forums).

Also, I think the title is supposed to mean both that he (MJK) is tripping on something, probably acid, and that he can understand the message much clearer while being on acid. The Rosetta Stone was a tool for understanding ancient egyptian hieroglyphs, and being Rosetta Stoned is probably to be under the influence of a tool to understand whatever message MJK is singing about.

Placid_Storm
04-22-2006, 10:47 PM
In this song, the speaker is at the most extreme level of isolation, paranoia, and self doubt possible- doubting reality and fearing madness. He's also frustrated that he's unable to communicate his reality to others... it seems so important and meaningful, yet when it comes time to put it into words, he shits the bed every time. By using extremes, its a kind of "catharsis" of these feelings, which in varying doses, are pretty universal.

I agree. Very well put. Perhaps he is just using the UFO/Area 51/Drugs thing to better communicate the idea of an inability to share one's reality with others, however profound.

But perhaps there is another way of looking at this song. Perhaps it all goes back to blind faith. This dude went out in the desert and had this profound experience, and then comes back and begs, "You believe me, don't you??? You believe what I just told you, right?"- expecting everyone to believe something that they didn't see or taste or feel or hear. could be multi-faceted.

KingSigy
04-22-2006, 10:53 PM
I kind of thought with the death of his mother, Maynard took drugs (with Lipan Conjuring) and had a fucked up dream of all of that. I see it as a person losing their mind after they've lost their love.

Keyser_OGT
04-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I hear it as the downside of the LSD Trip. Third Eye being about how goo the drugs can be, Rosetta Stoned being about how terrifyingly bad they can be, and that's why there are links in the music between the two songs.

To me, it sounded so obvious, but I'm really glad to see other people are interpreting it differently.

optimistic-pessimist
04-23-2006, 12:15 AM
i agree that the's one level of it...

...but... its applicable to so much more.

Maynard is great at doing that, like all the great writers. No one else's lyrics are like that. I have a BA in English, so I've read all the "greats," and this dude is right up with the best

I definitely agree. That's why I qualified it by saying "factually, it reads like..." There are definitely more interpretations/ tie-ins to be made. But the obvious/ on-the-surface one is so fun... yet so scary at the same time.

Kinda reminds me of a Bill Hicks joke. Something along the lines of...

"It makes you wonder why aliens travel millions of miles to visit Earth, only to appear in front of a handful of hillbillies. It's like we're being visited by some sort of intergalactic Joad family. 'We just had a long trip. We wanna kick back and whittle some. We're gonna enter the mothership in the tractor pull.'"

Yeah that's not exactly it, but it is WAY too late for me to go researching it. Maybe tomorrow I'll edit it.

insaner
04-23-2006, 01:17 AM
dammit has no one here ever taken DMT? d mother fuckin t?

caliphornia
04-23-2006, 01:34 AM
dammit has no one here ever taken DMT? d mother fuckin t?
i've heard only bad experiences from DMT. i think i'll stick to shrooms.

btw, this is a great song

toolebukk
04-23-2006, 04:17 AM
That is a very, very impressive interpretation. I like. I like.

impressive? isnt it obvious? no offence though..

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-23-2006, 05:57 AM
NO WAY. NO FRIGGIN WAY.

lol.

Well like I said, I wasn't particularly able to keep up with the forum on this for a few days. And the song, especially the beginning (parts at least) can be damn difficult to discern, lyrically, for me. It does seem this album is a little more straight forward than the others, but at the same time I also find this is possibly not the case. They love playing with various and alternate interpretations. And Maynard's use of double entendre holds a candle to any of the greats, as the English major was stating above. I seem to be seeing two different interpretations coming through in this thread, and I actually agree with both of them. Maybe I am just over analyzing, but maybe I'm not. Anyhow I appreciate the opinions and insight - The song has grown on me. The whole album for that matter - I love it. We have another classic rock masterpiece from the boys...

Dispositionist
04-23-2006, 08:46 PM
another psychadelic reference is the line "will I ever be coming down?"

Alcawhorlick
04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I hear it as the downside of the LSD Trip. Third Eye being about how goo the drugs can be, Rosetta Stoned being about how terrifyingly bad they can be, and that's why there are links in the music between the two songs.

To me, it sounded so obvious, but I'm really glad to see other people are interpreting it differently.

Finally.
someone makes an intelligent link between RS and third eye.
And you're right, it is obvious

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 09:02 PM
great interpretation

ljasonl
04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
also anybody who's had enough experience with acid can relate to the feeling of having some amazing revelation and then not being able to remember it.. .

And the part of this song where he's meant to write down the most important thing in human history but forgot his pen perfectly captures that feeling of sheer stupidity you have when you can't remember your revelation

MantisMandibles
04-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Wrong, all wrong.

It is dissing Lateralus believers.

Not quite. I'm almost certain the song is a slam, yes, but on whom? Naive, deluded teenagers under the influence of powerful psychedelics, would be my guess. I think the whole song is an intentional throw-back to 'Third Eye,' both lyrically and musically, only this time around Maynard seems to be poking fun at all the kids out there who take their mushroom trips too seriously.

Alcawhorlick
04-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Not quite. I'm almost certain the song is a slam, yes, but on whom? Naive, deluded teenagers under the influence of powerful psychedelics, would be my guess. I think the whole song is an intentional throw-back to 'Third Eye,' both lyrically and musically, only this time around Maynard seems to be poking fun at all the kids out there who take their mushroom trips too seriously.

Reminds me of a few bits of David Cross's "Let America Laugh". For my money, there's nothing funnier than a stoned/tripping idiot.

Except for maybe being a stoned/tripping idiot.

placidium
04-24-2006, 08:14 AM
you ain't cracked sheeeeeeeyit.

T-13h
04-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Wrong, all wrong.

It is dissing Lateralus believers.

If holding up in a different light means "dissing."

asears05
04-24-2006, 09:46 AM

What else does it mean?

It is another Bill Hicks reference. In his act he regularly mentioned "Squeegying his third eye" always during a drug bit.

http://members.tripod.com/ToolKoRny/Bill_Hicks_Knee.gif

Leroy Brown
04-24-2006, 09:50 AM
I think it's about how drugs are misleading

stardown
04-24-2006, 10:03 AM
impressive? isnt it obvious? no offence though..

I didn't find it obvious really. I have trouble understanding the vocals in this song. I also find myself lost in the music throughout. The instruments overtake the vocals completely in this song I think. Does that make sense?

neurosis79
04-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Ive made a thread of the meaning of the song
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=43670

Remember the Ouija session Blair did. A OR ET TESTS ON DAVE= Alien or extra terrestrial tets on Dave.
And when u scramble the words= ROSETTA STONED
Read Jan and March newsletter.

thrak attack
04-24-2006, 06:58 PM
It seems to me (just from the lyrics...somehow I'm managing to hold off until May 2nd) that the speculations about UFO sightings being ignored because of the insanity of the witness are almost right, but it also seems like there could be more of a greater cause. The Lateralus concept/philosophical beliefs of Tool and Alex Gray are obviously found and accessed with the help of drugs, specifically LSD. MJK has already expressed his frustration that no one will listen to, or take seriously, what he has to say. Why? Because he's in a rock band, and because it's accessed through drugs. The Rosetta Stone is a cornerstone of translating ancient languages and a HUGE part of human understanding, but they create a mockery of it by adding "Stoned." The vital messages that the main character, and Tool, tries to portray are overshadowed by the "stoned" roots. I could be overanalyzing it in hopes of another mindblowing concept, but I think that makes some sense.

Ultimatebdp
04-25-2006, 06:59 AM
This is my favorite song on the album. The music is amazing!!!

holotrope
04-25-2006, 07:23 AM
I like a lot of the interpretations here, and many aren't too far off from what I thought-

It's a warning: against over-indulgence, against entering to a potentially auspicious experience while not being properly prepared ("I didn't even graduate from fu*kin high school," "I forgot my pen"- if you interpret these lines figuratively), against turning the statement "drugs can lead to deep meaningful experiences" into "let's all do drugs and we will be deep and meaningful."

I think it echoes the sentiment of this album fantastically- tool are sick of spoon-feeding their fans, just to have their ideas mis-applied or misinterpreted. On this album, it's more of a 'fu*k you' to those people, because most of the songs seem to have a blatant surface meaning (e.g., "RS is just an account os some fu*ked up hippy's trip") but also a deeper message, a la stinkfist.

Similarly, if you're not listening closely, a lot of riffs on the album sound the same as old ones, but when you pay attention there are significant musical/aesthetic differences.

The point that this song/album makes, and that I think tool has been making for many years, is that nothing should go uninvestigated but nothing should be taken at face value. If you stop questioning, you stop living because you resign yourself to repeating the same patterns of action based on your unchanging beliefs.

But I guess what they've discovered is that lots of people are happy as long as they think they've questioned just a little more than the average person, and then they switch the brain cruise-control back on, happy with the new belief of their own superiority. Silly monkeys.

This song rocks.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-25-2006, 07:34 AM
I like a lot of the interpretations here, and many aren't too far off from what I thought-

It's a warning: against over-indulgence, against entering to a potentially auspicious experience while not being properly prepared ("I didn't even graduate from fu*kin high school," "I forgot my pen"- if you interpret these lines figuratively), against turning the statement "drugs can lead to deep meaningful experiences" into "let's all do drugs and we will be deep and meaningful."

I think it echoes the sentiment of this album fantastically- tool are sick of spoon-feeding their fans, just to have their ideas mis-applied or misinterpreted. On this album, it's more of a 'fu*k you' to those people, because most of the songs seem to have a blatant surface meaning (e.g., "RS is just an account os some fu*ked up hippy's trip") but also a deeper message, a la stinkfist.

Similarly, if you're not listening closely, a lot of riffs on the album sound the same as old ones, but when you pay attention there are significant musical/aesthetic differences.

The point that this song/album makes, and that I think tool has been making for many years, is that nothing should go uninvestigated but nothing should be taken at face value. If you stop questioning, you stop living because you resign yourself to repeating the same patterns of action based on your unchanging beliefs.

But I guess what they've discovered is that lots of people are happy as long as they think they've questioned just a little more than the average person, and then they switch the brain cruise-control back on, happy with the new belief of their own superiority. Silly monkeys.

This song rocks.

Very good, very good. Yeah the more I listen to the song I think it is one of the best on the album. I woke up with it in my head, in fact. Yeah I think there is more to it than one might take from it at first glance... I like this interpretation though.

Rosetta Stoned
04-25-2006, 04:40 PM
a friend of mine told me that LSD leaves a mark on your CNS which can sometimes cause flashbacks to previous hallucinations. he also told me that he used to cut holes in oranges, and let them sit for a month. he explained that when he ate them, they made him VERY drunk, and made him hallucinate.

i'm starting to understand this song, and eventhough it contains samples, and whole sections from older songs, i'm starting to enjoy it for its deeper meaning.

i hope the band has more in store for us on 6\6\06, however.

i seriously hate the morons who blindly bash long time tool fans for having doubts about this 'album.'

i don't understand why these people can't understand why we think it MIGHT be a decoy album...

praefector
04-25-2006, 04:52 PM
i don't understand why these people can't understand why we think it MIGHT be a decoy album...

and i dont understand where all this comes from to begin with

the band made a couple of joke listings before lateralus but nothing they have done gives any precedent for recording and promoting an entire album of original material just to act as a decoy for another album of original material. if anything they would have focused on making a 2 disc album, putting finishing touches on a dvd, or simply dicking around in their mountain of money...

the truth is people have spent the better part of the last 3 years pining over how disappointing eMotive was and how lateralus was great but THE NEXT album will "BLOW OUR MINDS!!!@1" . the band simply decided to jam out some tracks and explore some different ideas. there seems to be a very strange hinderance on people's ability to cope with the unforseen. that is where all these boneheaded theories are coming from.

just take a step back for a while, enjoy what weve been given, and wait patiently for the next offering. youre only setting yourself up for more disappointment by relocating your hopes to a new date.

/rant

drone007
04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
good ideas everybody. seems like we're all finding deeper meanings to this apparent "thoughtless" joke song.

my idea is this thread... too much to retype http://toolnavy.com/08-rosetta-stoned/t-the-guy-was-unknowingly-given-lsd-43918.html

dirtyrockstar
04-25-2006, 04:56 PM
listen to third eye... then listen to LK and RS... now tell me that isnt a great lil story told by tool music.

i hear third eye as good trip by lsd... RS is a bad one... and the LK is when the dude is found after tripping real bad and the doctor doesnt know whats wrong with him. listen to the music... and lyrics... all linked... and (blame hoffman) ... hoffman is the guy who accidently made LSD...

my 2 crappy cents..

peace

I totally agree. To me, Third Eye was the trip, Rosetta Stoned is trying to describe it. Then being labeled as crazy.

Opiate_Mass
04-25-2006, 04:58 PM

dude, funny you should think that, cause there's actually a drug called DMT that's such a strong hallucinogenic, that when people take it they claim they actually see into the 'other dimension' and even converse with these 'beings' that they see. Usually it turns them insane as well, as it's too much for the brain to cope with. VERY interesting theory.

insaner
04-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere - there is alot of new content to go through on here, plus my internet has been acting horrible for the passed two days. I suspect someone had to have had this perspective on it by now, though.

It's about insanity/mental illness/dementia/schizophrenia/catatonia (possibly drug induced) - Something the likes of the Syd Barrett story. Of course the prelude being Lost Keys, and going into Rosetta Stoned, "what's happened, tell me everything?"...

Then it comes in with a bunch of almost noncoherent rambling, schizophrenic like. Very random disorganized thoughts. References to hallucinations that "seem so real"; if you've ever seen "A Beautiful Mind", you can see where I'm going with this. Also delusions of grandeur "they chose me, and I didn't even graduate from fuckin highschool". And eventually it builds up to complete loss of mind: the strapped down, eyes red "shitting my bed" part. Of course the Rosetta Stone was objectively just a primmer(sp?) to help under something else - I think he's using it in that context. It makes such perfect sense... once again it's inside the music too - the music is schizophrenic as well, or at least metaphorically so.

I love it - great topic to go with the rest of the album. Fits so well. Man the album is so fantastic... I am blown away all over again. Anyway though - I'd be willing to bet my interpretation is dead on (not to stand on a soapbox or anything), but it's good. Have at it.

edit: and I believe the title, is just a relativization regarding how complicated a human perspective can become. Or that the person in topic has become "stoned" out of his mind by whatever reason, and is relating to everything through some other perspective that is not understandable by anyone else. And the mystery behind why and/or how this happens to people. Something like that - I could go on and over analyze this for a long time. But I'm sure alot of you can add to it, or put it better than I can.

read "The Spirit Molecule" by rick strassman, and you will change your theory.

here just read this chapter - http://www.rickstrassman.com/dmt/contact.pdf

insaner
04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
dude, funny you should think that, cause there's actually a drug called DMT that's such a strong hallucinogenic, that when people take it they claim they actually see into the 'other dimension' and even converse with these 'beings' that they see. Usually it turns them insane as well, as it's too much for the brain to cope with. VERY interesting theory.

even better, when you takle dmt you dont have to go to area 51. area 51 comes to you. see above post.

insaner
04-25-2006, 06:05 PM
also, if anyone reads that link, notice where he says something about the trip starting with a "whining whirring sound." sound familiar? i now think all of alex greys shit as well as lateralus and to some extent 10k days is about this dmt experience. orange red colors and geometric patters stc. i notice the new album and web of being both have that red and gold schema.

Negatorie
04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
i think this song has an obvius connection with third eye. at almost exactly 3 minutes the rythm for the riff is exactly like the rythm in the notes in third eye at you guessed it, 3:00 into the song, same rythm almost the same notes (i think the 4th note in phrase may be slightly diferent for RS)

I dont think its coincidence that the third eye riff comes in at 3:00 in rosetta stoned.

To0o0oL
04-26-2006, 08:24 PM
also, if anyone reads that link, notice where he says something about the trip starting with a "whining whirring sound." sound familiar? i now think all of alex greys shit as well as lateralus and to some extent 10k days is about this dmt experience. orange red colors and geometric patters stc. i notice the new album and web of being both have that red and gold schema.

Maybe the whirring was the 'Integratron' firing up out at Giant Rock...

...and the song is based around that, the whole George Van Tassel deal that went on back in the late '50's.

google 'Integratron' and there's a wealth of info on the net. I remember reading an article on toolband.com or here involving a trip to see it.

QuantumMind
04-26-2006, 08:31 PM

Great interpetation

rgardjr
04-26-2006, 10:24 PM
The point that this song/album makes, and that I think tool has been making for many years, is that nothing should go uninvestigated but nothing should be taken at face value. If you stop questioning, you stop living because you resign yourself to repeating the same patterns of action based on your unchanging beliefs. This song rocks.

The irony that the Rosetta Stone (between the human race and alien race) will spend their life strapped to a bed shitting themself because no one is going to accept, believe or investigate this story. The fact that this person can't remember may be due to drugs that he has been given by his physician in treating his "delusions". The potential saviour of the human race pissed away because of the inability of society to look outside its comfort zone. How seriously would a chemically impared hippy be taken when claiming that he's been abducted by aliens. This song to me relates the sense of frustration/hopelessness that Tool has mentioned regarding this album. Trying to make a difference, but ultimately feeling like no matter what they do enough of society just isn't capable of taking them seriously enough to accomplish that change.