PDA

View Full Version : My analysis

Deviouz
04-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Here’s my interpretation of this song, take it as you will. My first post is for Right in Two, I would encourage you to read that before this. There I explained my stance in believing the whole of this album to be spiritual in Nature, told from an Esoteric Christianity perspective, with the overarching theme to be of how Man deals with the duality of his Nature brought on from the Garden of Eden.

I really like this song actually, but the basic idea’s pretty simple. Similar to the story of Buddha, even Job, being that of a Man who once had it all, but comes to the realisation of how empty it all is, and would wish it all away for enlightenment, to be free of the slavery that his dual nature exerts upon him.

The lyrics state all this. ‘The devil has him down’ in love with the ‘dark side’, ie. He has been fooled into believing the worth of his riches, the dark side being his belief he is a ‘better’ person for his riches, valuing the fruits of his labour ahead of the labour itself. This is a dual belief, making distinction between more or less rather than just being satisfied with what he’s got.

However, something has changed within him, a religious experience that has enabled him to see the error of his ways (I would be very unpopular here for suggesting he has ‘found Jesus’… I do not think it is incorrect to say this though, in a symbolic sense he is clearly talking to a ‘Sun’ figure throughout the song, and Jesus qualifies as this, much like many other similar figures in other religions).

And so with the fleeting experience, he resolves to pour all efforts into becoming the spiritual, enlightened man, to solidify the feelings the the experience inspired within him. It is the only thing which gives him peace of mind, something with all the riches in the world he has not experienced until now. Damn my life, damn my eyes he says, damn all ties that leaves him bound to the duality of his world, damn all the things he sees that tempts him to stray from his purpose.

Then comes the section of the song which ties the meaning of this song so tightly to Reflection. He bids the Sun figure to shine on for him, inspiring him to overcome his materiality much as the Sun in Reflection brings out the protagonist to shed his narcissism and emerge from his human shell. Much like the source in Reflection which inspires him to see that ‘we’re all one mind’, here the source makes ‘two become one’. Esoterically, this is common to all religious mythologies. The Sun is that source which inspires us all to evolve, to move past the confusion and dual thinking our appearances present to us, to move past that instinct to categorise all we see before us, between ‘one and the other’ but instead to master out environment, master ourself, to live experientially, and not separate into two, in the Oneness of Life.