And got what I wanted all along.

But I…
I would if I could
I would wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
I’d wish it all away

No prize you could hold [could hold] sway
Or justify my kneeling away, my sentence…

So if I could I’d wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow would take you away
You’re my peace of mind, my all,
I said I’m just trying to hold on one more day.

Dim my eyes!
Dim my eyes!
Dim my eyes if they should compromise a hope of wanting the divine need
Then I might as well be gone.

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine on upon the broken
Shine until the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine on upon the sinners
Shine until the two become one

Divide and wither it away
Divide and wither it away
Shine on upon the many,
Light our way benevolent sun.

Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union

So, as one, survive another day in season
Silently just save your poison.
Silently just stay out of my way.

I'm at about 99.99% certainty on these lyrics, and they seem to fit a reasonable interpretation.

I think the song might be an indictment of missionaries or other types of cultural imperialism told from the perspective of a now troubled but once happy native.
These evangelists would dim his eyes, his reason, if that reason might get in the way of their "divine" message. At first he is convinced that he needs them, and even chastises himself for being in league with "The Devil" (pretty sure Maynard doesn't believe in nonsense like that), but eventually rejects their poison. He now has to focus on his very survival.

Maybe this fits with the Jambi, Indonesia being violently conquered by the Dutch.

Any thoughts?

fender59
04-25-2006, 04:04 AM
I belive your close in some of your observations, but i feel this is another case of injecting personel fantasy into a text, where its just not present, I belive every single person here has always forgot to look at the Title of the songs, I dunno if TooL is pissed off at fans for not getting it or what, but once again, Jambi is a jeanie, jeanies grant wish's (wish is said like 15 times in this song, also take notice to the lack of importance given to material and flesh "treasures") Further, the word dabbling in the dark side, till I drown, and then You changed that all for me (getting really close to your theme, also you have a few lyrics wrong, its silence me, just save (say?) your praises, silence me.....) Also Ive heard alot of people say this isnt a concept album it doesnt follow one theme, well their are multiple themes to it, but consider track 2, 3, and 4 the same track, only listen to them together focusing on one universal dilema (theme) , (we already figured out what 10,000 days means, dont forget it at all in these 3 tracks)

Just remember with this song, Maynard is into the dark side (according to some peoples view of what that is), his mother is a theme in this album, she was a xtian, shes dead now, if you dont belive theirs a peice of shame or what if in their, then maybe im wrong.

Valediction
04-25-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that Jambi is a toungue in cheek reference to the creature on Pee-Wee's Playhouse that granted wishes (hence, 'Wish it all away' lyric) NOT Indonesia/Dutch thing at all.

tuskestez
04-25-2006, 08:27 PM
dude its gotta be "damn my eyes" i cant hear dim at all

fender59
04-25-2006, 10:25 PM
You now what, Ive been thinking DAMN MY EYES since the first time I heard it, but everyone was so sure it was dim my eyes, I just assumed, I mean hell, when have the masses ever been wrong :).

a reflection
04-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Another thought I had regarading the title is the dualistic meaning thing that tool likes to do...
I think the Jambi genie idea is there with the wishing but also consider simultaneously:
Jambi = Junkie + Zombie (from Vicarious lyrics)
or
James(himself) + Zombie (much of the song is self chastising)

I'm really not too firm on any of these ideas yet, though, and I wouldn't have it any other way at this point :) -- no matter what, great song, great lyrics, IMO