PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one who doenst like it?

speedboaT
04-21-2006, 07:11 PM
the lyrics, while beautiful, are too slurred together by maynard's vocals. without reading the lyrics i think it would be next to impossible to decipher. i also think the song has WAYYY too much of a build up. theres like 13 minutes of just boring...slowness.

T-13h
04-21-2006, 07:13 PM
To each his own, but other people don't seem to have as much a problem with hearing the lyrics.

speedboaT
04-21-2006, 07:16 PM
i mean, its not so much that i dont like it...i just think its placed in an awkward position in the album. i dont think such a slow song should be right smack in the middle, but i think it wouldve made a good album closer.

T-13h
04-21-2006, 07:19 PM
i mean, its not so much that i dont like it...i just think its placed in an awkward position in the album. i dont think such a slow song should be right smack in the middle, but i think it wouldve made a good album closer.

I like the mental transition I'm forced to make to go from 10000 Days to The Pot.

Crazy.

Alcawhorlick
04-21-2006, 07:52 PM
the lyrics, while beautiful, are too slurred together by maynard's vocals. without reading the lyrics i think it would be next to impossible to decipher. i also think the song has WAYYY too much of a build up. theres like 13 minutes of just boring...slowness.

No, you most certainly are not.
I hear the lyrics. They're boring.
Picks up at the end, and actually has a bit of emotion in it, then it ends. But not before returning to the same dullness that took up the first 15 minutes of the songs.
cant for the life of me figure out what's so appealing about this.

I guess it's good compared to a lot of the rest of the album, but that isn't saying much. I think people are just way to eager to enjoy Tool again after 5 years.

Ancalagon
04-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I think you are just probably not in tune with the emotions of the song. For me personally it is so powerful emotionally it's unbelievable.

varg
04-22-2006, 12:21 AM
I like the mental transition I'm forced to make to go from 10000 Days to The Pot.

Crazy.

Yeah that's a bit of a journey.
On a sidenote i think it's one of Tool's three greatest songs. (including pt 1)

Jorge
04-22-2006, 02:04 AM
pt. 1 and pt. 2 might provide a strong sense of closure to maynard. Going straight from this extremely emotional song right to the pot is essentially doing the same thing. Almost like maynard saying, "I'm done with that, now let's move on." On the first few listens I thought the song placement was odd as well but its starting to make more sense to me now.

LoKi
04-22-2006, 02:29 AM
you're definatly not the only one... when i first heard it, i was literally sitting there jaw to the floor thinking "you're fucking kidding, all that build up for nothing?"...

and i didn't really find his voice emotional at all...

jaydawg53
04-22-2006, 08:14 PM
you're definatly not the only one... when i first heard it, i was literally sitting there jaw to the floor thinking "you're fucking kidding, all that build up for nothing?"...

and i didn't really find his voice emotional at all...

I see what you're saying about the buildup; I totally expected a huge instrumental, but it never came. However, once I read about the true meaning behidn the song, and the lyrics, I was floored. The song just totally transformed into a new song after I read the lyrics and realized the emotion behind them. I mean, he tells his mother that she needs to tell St Peter to bring God to the gates, because his most fathful servant has arrived; I mean, that's deep...

(If you haven't read the lyrics yet, I vry highly recommend it)

So far, all my friends that liek Tool have said at first that they didn;t liek the new album very much, but within a day or two they've all changed their tune, including me. I don't know yet if I'll liek it as much as Lateralus, but it's definitelya masterpiece.

Orph8998
04-22-2006, 08:25 PM
its the only song adam doesnt ruin with his crappy distortion pedal
i think that bass line is the most powerful riff tool has every played
im happy with it

underneathheaven
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I think the build up is more along the lines of what Maynard says in contrast to how he says it. Part 2 builds and builds not to a scream but to a confession, and a hard one at that.

psims23
04-22-2006, 10:55 PM
This song is pretty much all build up.. but the build up sounds great... I kinda wish it was at the back of the cd, as it's something nice to fall asleep to. I was listenin to this last night and pleasently passed out during this song only to be rudely awoken by "Who are you to point your finger?!?" Then I just had to listen to the rest of the album

praefector
04-22-2006, 10:58 PM
i dunno what you guys have in your souls but when i hear this song it isnt all "build up" to me...

it's a composition. it starts in one place; a very calm almost quiet, almost paralytic place. it tastefully moves into an emotional outburst that is quickly calmed. then it moves through a spritual healing place and back into an outburst of positivity and love.

Tw1ster
04-22-2006, 11:20 PM
This song is just beautiful, im listening to it right now, and everytime I listen, I discover a new sound...just now i heard a really hidden laughter towards the end. It is such an adventure through out the whole thing both musically and lyrically. You can tell it comes right from the heart and when the music gets harder in the latter stages, it just mends so well to give the epic feeling. GRADE A song no doubt.